Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 21:30   #976
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
She has finally breached the 1L km mark:

Man, quite a feeling it is! Just couldn't get over it as we crossed Vellore yesterday. The pros here who’ve done a million km must be chuckling but believe me, I never thought I’d reach this day soon and in a VW, no less! It took about 3 years, 8 months and 16 days to cross that figure.
Congratulations on completing 1L KM on your ride!!
I know there will be a sense of achievement after seeing that landmark number on the ODO. That's exactly how I felt after seeing 1L Km on my previous car, all self driven.

Quote:
The mod-friendly nature of the car – there isn’t a better car in the current generation which can compete with the Polo when it comes to OEM and aftermarket modifications. This car is every modder’s wet dream! Got to love the fact that a no-frills Polo was launched in India back in 2010 when the fully loaded GTI model was being sold overseas! Wait, did I mention about the VCDS hacks?!
A special thanks to you for meticulously taking pictures and documenting every DIY on your Polo. Your thread on this forum is one of the major factor(and am sure for many others) for me to carry out several mods on my TSi.
Also thanks to you for your patience while answering my many noob questions I sent to you over PM

Quote:
The heavy clutch - couple that with the slow moving traffic here in Chennai and my left leg hurts like hell! This is like one of those tradeoffs that us manual TDI owners have to live with and I didn’t realize it until I came to a city which has maddening stop-and-go traffic! Anyways, I’ve decided that my next car would definitely be an AT – sorry but I am done with that hard-core stick-shift enthusiast theory!
Heavy clutch or not my left leg just could not take that pain anymore in this mad circus called city traffic. This was perhaps the only reason I had to let go my previous car, Swift VDI. In came the GT TSi and I vowed never again to buy the manual ride in my life. Everyone around me was like 'stick driving is real deal!!' I know, been there done that.
Quote:
I will be swapping the rear drum brake with discs shortly.
This is something I surely want to get it done on my GT. I will eagerly wait for this. When I inquired about this I was told one has to change the complete axle system to convert rear drum into disc brakes. I did not pursue that further as I thought it's too complicated. Is it any different for older model GT's like yours?
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 17:03   #977
BHPian

Congrats on completing 1L KM.
Your thread and car is inspiration for anyone having a Polo, including me. I got mine around the same time as you. I normally keep referring to this thread for my car's running.
My 1.2 Tdi has just completed 45,000 km in the last 3 years. The last one year has has very low running. Whenever I get the urge to buy another car, I keep reminding myself of yours.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 09:14   #978
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Coincidentally, even I did the Liqui Moly Diesel Purge on my Swift ZDi. Here the thread with all the details. For VW cars, it is easy I think and not as laboriously a process as I had to do.
Yup, it's a bit easier with VW cars as there is no need of a separate pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Now that you are in Chennai would be nice to get to see you & your car !
Shall plan for a Chennai meet. Unfortunately, 15th July is working for us so I won't be able to make it for the Sriharikota meet. But will plan a drive soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Haha asking people to take a hike with regards to the emission scandal!
Almost fell off the chair. So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I wonder if the GTI seats are better?
I bet they are! The seat-back side bolsters and the under thigh support looks kick ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Or if one of the other VW models like the Jetta have seats that can be used to replace yours once they wear out a bit more?
They will be a lot more expensive man. I saw some Russian folks swap their Polo sedan's (our Vento) seats for the Passat CC's electric seats. The pitch between the seat rails are apparently the same as that of the Polo; only some additional drilling for bolt holes need to be done. They even got the electric movements working. Just that the seat airbags were disconnected.

Check it out - Drive2 part1, Drive2 part2

I shudder to think about the pricing of a new set of Jetta or Passat's front seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Will suggest you to go for the imported VW genuine part for trunk floor or check on EBay for used trunk floors.
Thanks man but importing this big a part will be expensive on shipping plus our customs department won't be very kind when they notice a package this large! I checked out the weight of a 1 sq. m 3 mm and 4 mm thk ply sheets and it wasn't heavy.

There's another issue with the imported trunk floor - it may not fit our Polo since we do not get those latch hook points on the either sides. This mat is designed for those boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Reading your post, makes me miss my GT even more.
I am sure Thad is taking good care of her.

Quote:
Guess its time you start looking for a competent FNG rather than go to those VW ASS.
I plan to do the regular services myself - not really a labour-intensive job. Can be done on a weekend. I just need a good torque wrench. I have the rest of the tools with me.

Quote:
OR, I'm not sure, going by your history with the car, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a personal garage to service your own car.
Haha no man. I so wish I had one with a nice car lift!

Quote:
Any thoughts on getting those wheels jazzed up.
Yep. Planning to upgrade to 16"ers shortly. I am only worried about the ride quality taking a hit. Hopefully, it won't drastically alter the ride quality. Will be preserving the stock wheels at home - man, these alloys have bore quite some grunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Wanted to find out certain details regarding this

1. Where did you source it from?
2. Approximately how much duty you had to shell out?
3. I have a VW Vento 1st Generation (March 2011). Would RCD330G go with that model?
4. If 3 is yes, hope I wouldn't have to cut any wires etc
Please refer this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations on the milestone.

Thanks for the information about finishing at Drive Clean. I may give it a try --- although the well-known chennai CarCares is just nearby to me.
Try it out some time - you may like the quality of the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
PS: Now that you have got the original RossTech cable, it is time to get into much more serious projects
Don't tempt me Ganesh! But seriously, on priority right now, it’s the wheels and the rear brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Do these substantially improve the throw compared to the OEMs?
You've got to see it man. Massive difference. I've stopped calling them as fogs. They are now serving as auxiliary lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
What are your thoughts on replacing only the belt as opposed to the pulley, tensioner along with the belt? Is that really necessary?
Only the belts have to be replaced as they wear out. But I suppose VW sells it as a replacement kit. And I don't think those individual pulleys would add up to a considerable price difference? I'm thinking of getting it done from a third party garage - will compare the prices and take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
When I inquired about this I was told one has to change the complete axle system to convert rear drum into disc brakes. I did not pursue that further as I thought it's too complicated. Is it any different for older model GT's like yours?
No.

The bolt holes of the rotors do not match with one on the stock axle which is why the axle has to be replaced. So either replace the axle or install adapter plates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on the RLS bit:

Quote:
Last weekend I had some spare time and decided to do a bench-test of the RLS unit I have (5K7 955 559 B) by taping it to the windshield. It worked well when we sprayed some water using a spray bottle; in the rains though, it might be a different story altogether!
During my return trip last weekend, it poured like crazy and was glad to note that the RLS worked really well! It is extremely sensitive to the slightest drop and turns on the wiper instantly. The speed of the wiper is also adjusted depending on the intensity of the rain.

However, despite my best attempts at enabling rain closing, it didn't work. Either the coding wasn't accepted or the windows simply wouldn't roll up. That was until a friend Vivek Kudva who had come to the rescue. Thanks a bunch man! Appreciate the inputs.

Here's what you need to do to enable rain closing:

a. On VCDS, choose the RLS from the drop down menu of 09 - Central Electronics > Long Coding.

b. Enter the new code as 036800. The system should accept it.

c. Now enter the long code as 066800 and click on Do it!. In my case, VCDS did not accept 06 for Byte 0 initially and threw an Error 31: Request out of range - Coding Rejected.

To test the rain closing feature, lock the car with some of the windows rolled down, wait for a few seconds and pour/spray some water on the RLS.

Now that the bench test is successful, the next step is to get the RLS mount fixed permanently on the windshield.

I also happened to tinker with the head unit a bit and managed to do a couple of things:

1. Changed the theme to all red so all those yellow bars have been replaced with red bars. For instance:

Name:  HMI20151130155835.png
Views: 4107
Size:  37.1 KB

2. Successfully mirrored the display of the phone to the HU without using Mirrorlink:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4851.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4852.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4855.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4856.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4859.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4860.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4865.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4866.jpg

3. Accessing the Engineering Testmode:

Name:  HMI20151129160446.png
Views: 4129
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  HMI20151129160608.png
Views: 4028
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  HMI20151129160611.png
Views: 4039
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  HMI20151129160504.png
Views: 4128
Size:  21.4 KB

I’ll explain it in detail in a separate post on the RCD330G plus thread.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 09:49   #979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't tempt me Ganesh! But seriously, on priority right now, it’s the wheels and the rear brakes.
Have you decided on the path to rear disc conversion Ganesh?

I have been doing some research on this. There are two options.

Get the full kit:

This is the easiest one, but quality wise, it may be a little sub-par. There is a website that offers full conversion kit for 215 pounds.

https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/vw...conversion-kit

Note: These guys have blocked the Airtel IP address and can be accessed only through VPN

Source OE parts individually:

This is the best in terms of performance, but every part has to be researched and sourced correctly. I haven't done anything on this line.

If you plan to go the OE parts way, I will keep my eyes peeled on this thread

The RCD330G looks awesome. I have been tempted to convert to RCD330G, but for the TPMS that I have in the current HU. If I am able to get a MFA+ instrument cluster and install the OE TPMS, then RCD330G would be next
Old 10th July 2017, 10:56   #980
BHPian

I am keen to know how you mirrored the phone screen on the HU without Mirrorlink. The absence of Android Auto is what has prevented me from buying RCD 330G but if the phone screen can be mirrored then that solves the problem.
Old 10th July 2017, 19:19   #981
BHPian

Gannu_1, Congrats on completing l lac kms. Please let me know if there is going to be a problem or a canbus error if I upgrade my stock h8 35w fog lamp bulbs with the ones you ordered from aliexpress.
My main concern is that my POLO 1.5 TDi comes with corner lamp function. Would the change of bulbs to leds will have any affect towards that functionality?
Old 11th July 2017, 21:18   #982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Have you decided on the path to rear disc conversion Ganesh?
Please check these links:

https://www.drive2.ru/l/2548655/

https://shop.polosedan.ru/index.php?...product_id=892

The components are mostly TRW. The only ones that aren't are the 2 adapter plates/spacers. Some owners have purchased it from these folks and haven't had any complaints.

If you can source a new rear axle compatible with these rotors (part number - 1J0500051K; sold with earlier gen. Vento models AFAIK), then there's no need of these spacers. Do let me know if you get any leads on the axle. Btw a new axle costed around 60k back in 2012 (link; refer sl. no. 1).

IINM, these are the rear rotors - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-brake_disc-4966903/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I am keen to know how you mirrored the phone screen on the HU without Mirrorlink. The absence of Android Auto is what has prevented me from buying RCD 330G but if the phone screen can be mirrored then that solves the problem.
Here you go - RCD330G Plus - Changing the theme + mirroring display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Gannu_1, Congrats on completing l lac kms. Please let me know if there is going to be a problem or a canbus error if I upgrade my stock h8 35w fog lamp bulbs with the ones you ordered from aliexpress.
My main concern is that my POLO 1.5 TDi comes with corner lamp function. Would the change of bulbs to leds will have any affect towards that functionality?
No they won't. Bulb-out errors are disabled on the cars sold in India.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th July 2017 at 22:40.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 02:30   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No they won't. Bulb-out errors are disabled on the cars sold in India.
Not entirely. No fancy electronic warnings, but, at least with the indicators. a constant, rather than a flashing, dashboard arrow means a fault. In my case, a rat-bitten cable rather than a blown bulb,
Old 13th July 2017, 08:12   #984
BHPian

Gannu Bhai, I have decided to install cruise control in my polo. The folks at vw chandigarh have agreed to help me in installing this and they have placed an order for part no. 6r0953507b9b9.

The only problem I am facing is to arrange for the wiring harness as you have shown in your cruise control thread. Please let me know from where I could get the harness and secondly if appropriate terminals are available in the market so we could build one.
Old 18th July 2017, 16:12   #985
BHPian

Quote:
c. Now enter the long code as 066800 and click on Do it!. In my case, VCDS did not accept 06 for Byte 0 initially and threw an Error 31: Request out of range - Coding Rejected.
Hi Gannu,

I was able to enter 066800 coding directly on my Vento TSI 2016 which is equipped with Rain Sensor. However on pouring water from a water bottle did close the windows on my key fob locked car which had all windows rolled down.
Also, can you tell me if this feature works while driving as well?
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th July 2017, 20:10   #986
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not entirely. No fancy electronic warnings, but, at least with the indicators.
Just the indicators hyperflashing when one of the bulbs fuse out. What about the rest of the bulbs?

I was referring to this warning light:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-dsc_0250.jpg
Source: Google images

The Punto has a much better system in that sense. The cluster displays a bulb-out error plus if one of the rear indicator bulbs fail, the brake + stop lights work as the indicator in place of the fused bulb. Better than having no light at all! Who'd have thought?

Quote:
The only problem I am facing is to arrange for the wiring harness as you have shown in your cruise control thread.
Get it from Aliexpress. All the terminals used are exactly the same. Buy 2 of these harnesses - link.

You may have to extend the cable that goes to the ECU.

Quote:
secondly if appropriate terminals are available in the market so we could build one.
They are called repair wires in VW terminology and comes with the terminals pre-wired but are prohibitively expensive. Get them from Ali. They are dirt cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
However on pouring water from a water bottle did close the windows on my key fob locked car which had all windows rolled down.
Did you mean it didn't close the windows? Roll down the windows using the switches on the door card not the keyfob.

Quote:
Also, can you tell me if this feature works while driving as well?
AFAIK it doesn't work when the car is in motion but I haven't checked it since I drive with the windows rolled up all the time. Will test it some time.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 22:21   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Punto has a much better system in that sense. The cluster displays a bulb-out error plus if one of the rear indicator bulbs fail, the brake + stop lights work as the indicator in place of the fused bulb. Better than having no light at all! Who'd have thought?
Wow! What's the Italian for Vorsprung durch Technik?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:57   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean it didn't close the windows? Roll down the windows using the switches on the door card not the keyfob.
Sorry, that was a typo. I actually meant 'did not' close the windows.
Tried rolling the windows down using the door switches as well, but it did not make any difference.
What else could I be missing?

Last edited by meetzap : 19th July 2017 at 14:58. Reason: Typo corrected.
Old 19th July 2017, 20:17   #989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What else could I be missing?
Have you enabled Bit 6 under Byte 4 under Central Electronics? Here's a pic from my older BCM:

Name:  B4.PNG
Views: 3129
Size:  55.4 KB
Old 20th July 2017, 03:50   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you enabled Bit 6 under Byte 4 under Central Electronics?
A future VW facelift will include programming by front-panel switches

Most Viewed