Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 09:18   #376
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks Gannu.

Unfortunately, I have placed an order in ebay(which said Polo wipers, but seems to be 21'' 19'' size). Currently it is in the transit.
Don't fret. Check the sizes from your end once you receive the consignment. If they don't fit, contact the seller and ask for a replacement pair. Should be fine.
Old 25th December 2014, 16:20   #377
Team-BHP Support

re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

- Had to top up the engine oil by 250 mL approx. Checked out the level last Sunday and it was at the bottom of the dipstick’s gauge. So topped it by a quarter of the Castrol Edge 5W 40 bottle stored in the boot. The level is near the middle of the gauge now. Pretty surprising the engine continues to drink oil despite crossing the 20k mark!

- The front tires began to deflate slowly. Noticed this yesterday and turns out, both the wheels had some punctures. The co-driver side had two each and the driver side had one. The pierced objects were removed and the holes were plugged. I am not sure how much longer these Aceleres will last this way. Judging by the snaps below, I hope the treads haven’t worn out entirely?

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20141225_10_19_51_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20141225_10_19_59_pro.jpg

- VW cars have a unique screw jack unlike the scissor type I’ve used before with our Maruti cars:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20141225_09_58_07_pro.jpg

- Here are the culprits:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20141225_10_35_52_pro.jpg

I am taking the car to our company’s yard too often which might be one of the reasons why the tires are getting punctured often. I suppose I should prefer walking now.

- While braking, I am experiencing a slight judder. I am guessing the brake pads have worn out and might require replacements soon. If it lasts until the 30k service, well and good.

- The mud flaps were removed since they do not serve the purpose for the next couple of seasons. Will have them replaced when monsoons are here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 18:11   #378
BHPian

Dude it's high time you get a remap. Aren't you bored with the stock power already ? 😜
Old 26th December 2014, 09:40   #379
Senior - BHPian

^^ Knowing Gannu, he may just surprise (& surpass may be ?) all of us by coming up with some D.I.Y for a remap as well !!

Personally I feel the GT TDi needs a better stopping power more than anything. I have had many hair raising instances of experiencing the drama of stopping this bullet.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 10:18   #380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Dude it's high time you get a remap. Aren't you bored with the stock power already ? 😜
Haha nope. The car has oodles of power in its stock state. I sometimes wonder if a remap is really needed. What Vikram said below is valid however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Personally I feel the GT TDi needs a better stopping power more than anything.
I’ve felt the need for better brakes during the highway drives. I really wish we had discs at the rear wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
^^ Knowing Gannu, he may just surprise (& surpass may be ?) all of us by coming up with some D.I.Y for a remap as well !!
Now that’s too much!

All said and done, a remap will be done. In all probability, that is going to be the next major upgrade. What I really need right now is cruise control since we stick to a constant 90-100 on the highway during our daily car-pool drives. I am not sure if the current BCM on the 1.6 GT has one which accepts a direct swap of the left stalk. The new Rapid with the 1.5 DSG has it so curious about it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 10:25   #381
BANNED

in my crystal ball of upgrades i clearly see 205 55 15 tyres. i also see a flat bottom mfsw. i also notice a remap and brembo discs+pads. this project is just getting started.....

Last edited by rana_kirti : 26th December 2014 at 10:54.
Old 26th December 2014, 10:40   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I’ve felt the need for better brakes during the highway drives. I really wish we had discs at the rear wheels.
Gannu, you're right the brakes on the Polo are average at best. They really should've given rear discs on the GT twins at least.

Unless you drive your 1.6 GT on the limit (the brakes won't let you) the remap will not give you any value add. A rear disc upgrade will be money better spent. Do consider getting Bilstien B6s also before you plonk for a remap.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 10:49   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Ive been wanting this for quite some time. Might get it done soon. Thought you'd be interested.
Old 26th December 2014, 11:13   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
in my crystal ball of upgrades i clearly see 205 55 15 tyres. i also see a flat bottom mfsw. i also notice a remap and brembo discs+pads. this project is just getting started.....
Lest we forget, I am not a bachelor anymore. The so-called crystal ball is controlled by the home ministry.

But the missus knows how much I love the car.

Rana, since you seem to have tested your TSI with all the possible tire combinations for the 15” rims, I wanted to know if 195 60 R15 was a good choice considering low noise, comfort, ride quality and grip in that order. My Aceleres will give up by the 30k mark (35k the worst) so thinking of switching to the Michelin P3ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Unless you drive your 1.6 GT on the limit (the brakes won't let you) the remap will not give you any value add. A rear disc upgrade will be money better spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Ive been wanting this for quite some time. Might get it done soon. Thought you'd be interested.
BHPian The Saint has got the rear brake retrofit done on his TSI from Vagtune and he had only good things to say about it. I am worried about the ABS aspect. Not sure how this was configured or if only the front wheels would be controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Do consider getting Bilstien B6s also before you plonk for a remap.
The B6s are quite expensive Bhat Sir. North of 60k IINM. A remap is 24k or thereabouts (Pete’s or T-o-T). Easier on the wallet.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:09   #385
BANNED

Quote:
Lest we forget, I am not a bachelor anymore. The so-called crystal ball is controlled by the home ministry.

But the missus knows how much I love the car.

Rana, since you seem to have tested your TSI with all the possible tire combinations for the 15” rims, I wanted to know if 195 60 R15 was a good choice considering low noise, comfort, ride quality and grip in that order. My Aceleres will give up by the 30k mark (35k the worst) so thinking of switching to the Michelin P3ST.
the 195 60 15 P3ST is the apt tyre for your requirements in the order that you mentioned. it's supremely comfortable with minimum road noise. i was very happy with them. its a awesome tyre.

But i also suggest you to consider 205 55 15 simply for handling feel which this particular size can give you. there are a ton of options in this size like the yoko sdrive, apollo acellere, mrf zlo, mrf zsport, dunlop accelera, maxxis ma z1 and kenda komet. now i agree these particular options will reverse your requirement order but that 1.6 GT TDI begs for 205 55 15....

what you can also do here is have a look at the new Continental MC5 which was launched a few weeks ago. i believe its the replacement for the CPC2. The MC5 @ 205 55 15 could give you the low noise, comfort, ride quality and grip with the added benefit of the handling feel of 205 55 15. It's a new tyre so reviews here are relatively less but i see a few bhpians have got them and you could be one of the early adopters and give us a detailed review.....

Last edited by rana_kirti : 26th December 2014 at 12:14.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 14:16   #386
Team-BHP Support

We had been to Ahmedabad last Saturday. The trip was awful w.r.t. the traffic and I’ve mentioned the details in another thread.

Dropped my wife at the branch and I had some spare time so dropped by the 3M Car Care outlet and gave the car for a wash and interior cleaning. Since we had woken up at 3 AM that day and drove down, I wanted to catch some rest so I took a nap in the customer lounge while the guys attended to the car. I couldn’t click any snaps thus. The car was foam washed including the engine bay and the interiors were cleaned. The windshield had some streaks visible under direct sunlight so asked them to give it a couple of wipes. We departed Ahmedabad around 3 PM and reached Navsari around 8. This was our first drive ever since we got back here so we enjoyed it.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150111_09_44_02_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150111_09_44_11_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150111_09_44_21_pro.jpg

I think the brake rotors require some skimming and perhaps the pads, a replacement. There is some shuddering when braking from a high speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Where in Palakkad is this shop? The fabric upholstery in my car is showing age and it is getting extremely difficult to maintain it stain free. For ethical reason I don't prefer leather. So looking for some PU options. How is the fitting and stitching? Is this done after removing the stock fabric?

I don't prefer dark colors. The color you have chosen looks really nice. I am sure it will be easier to maintain than fabric seats in Polo.
Did not want to deviate from the topic so quoted your post here instead.

I got this done from Leatherman, Palakkad. It is located at Nurani (GMap reference). They charged me Rs. 9500 for the work and for covering the floor carpet using some PU-type material. Reasonable rates IYAM and there has been no complaints so far. Fitting and stitching is perfect. No threads have come off so far. More snaps on post #331, page 23.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th January 2015 at 14:40.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 14:31   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got this done from Leatherman, Palakkad. It is located at Nurani (GMap reference). They charged me Rs. 9500 for the work and for covering the floor carpet using some PU-type material. Reasonable rates IYAM and there has been no complaints so far. Fitting and stitching is perfect. No threads have come off so far. More snaps on post #331, page 23.
Sorry I missed this in your ownership thread. I think I have seen this place on my way to Thrissur. Excellent value for money I would say. How long did this take to install?
Old 12th January 2015, 15:00   #388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
How long did this take to install?
About 6-7 hours. Dropped the car at their place in the morn. around 9:30 AM and collected the car around 4 PM.
Old 22nd January 2015, 20:13   #389
BHPian

Hello All,

I am a fresh new bhpian and this is my very first post on team-bhp! Took 2 attempts to get in here and I really cannot describe how excited I am!

Gannu,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of my heart since you inspired me to get my GT TDI 1.6 and also showed me the pros and cons like no one else did.
Even though I am not anywhere as technically as sound as you guys, I am thoroughly enjoying every bit of my GT.
I couldn't join team-bhp in time for the GT meet in Bangalore. But hopefully next time!

Just to let all know, my Mods so far are:
OSRAM Night breakers, Hella Dynaedge Blades, Seat-Covers (autoform) and pretty soon an armrest (awaiting a delivery from aliexpress).

This is gonna be it for now guys. Now I am off to get my profile setup and a thank a few of you.

Thanks all.
Saint_Krish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2015, 11:18   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Hello All,

I am a fresh new bhpian and this is my very first post on team-bhp! Took 2 attempts to get in here and I really cannot describe how excited I am!
Welcome to TBHP Krish!

Do familiarize with the rules of the forum and the posting etiquette. The first 25 posts are moderated and go live only after a moderator approves it. Just for info sakes.

Quote:
Gannu,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of my heart since you inspired me to get my GT TDI 1.6 and also showed me the pros and cons like no one else did.
I am glad the ownership thread helped you. You should pen down one for your car too.

Quote:
I am thoroughly enjoying every bit of my GT.
In the end, that’s all that matters. My car brings a smile to my face every time I get into the driver’s seat.

Quote:
I couldn't join team-bhp in time for the GT meet in Bangalore. But hopefully next time!
Bangalore meets happen often and BHPian RSUDARSANAN organizes a lot of meets. You should keep an eye out for the meets section.

Quote:
Just to let all know, my Mods so far are: OSRAM Night breakers, Hella Dynaedge Blades, Seat-Covers (autoform) and pretty soon an armrest (awaiting a delivery from aliexpress).
Great! The armrest is a much desired accessory. Too bad VW couldn’t include it in the facelifts like the dead-pedal and dual-beam headlamps. Do check if the reflector bowls are aligned properly. Sometimes they aren’t and as a result, the throw isn’t great. Aligning the bowls are very simple and an allen key is all that’s needed.

Have fun with your car and drive safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks