Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 18:13   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I am seriously looking at buying a GT. Just reading through a couple of reviews that raised questions about the braking. Given my experience with the Swift (2008) I don't want the same issue in a much powerful car.
We have a 2010 Dzire VXI at home and I have felt the braking to be less effective on that car compared to my GT. It also lacks ABS. I suggest you to take a test drive, take the car to an empty stretch or a ground and test it to your satisfaction.

Quote:
I do not have any experience driving a GT yet as the dealership gave me a Vento instead.
If you are interested in buying a GT, take a test drive of the GT and not the Vento. If the dealership doesn't have one, insist on the GT or inquire with another one.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 19:20   #167
DWC
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Will do. Please give me a couple of days' time.

Thanks Gannu, looking forward. If the seats didn't fold, it would have been a deal breaker for me.
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:12   #168
BHPian

@Gannu_1 - I have some questions regarding your vehicle-
1. Does your vehicle require frequent topping with engine oil?
2.Any problems with bluetooth pairing with your phone? And how about music streaming from android phones?
3.how effective is A/C?
4.Does your car have sump guard?
5.how effective is your parking sensor?
Old 5th June 2014, 12:01   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post

2.Any problems with bluetooth pairing with your phone? And how about music streaming from android phones?
None w.r.t pairing. Since, I'm using the COWON Z2 via aux-in, I cannot comment on the Audio Quality.

3.how effective is A/C?
AC is good at normal sunny days. If it gets too hot outside or has been parked under the sun for some time, then it does feel a bit under-powered. Also, there are no rear AC vents.

Yes. I believe almost the entire bottom is protected.

Its very effective and shows the distance in cms level so you can rely safely on it.
The answers are in bold. Gannu, please correct me If I was wrong at any point.
Kanasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:08   #170
BHPian

Quote:
I am seriously looking at buying a GT. Just reading through a couple of reviews that raised questions about the braking. Given my experience with the Swift (2008) I don't want the same issue in a much powerful car. I do not have any experience driving a GT yet as the dealership gave me a Vento instead. It seems someone had crashed their test drive GT TDi.

The Vento felt adequate but not in the same league of the Hyundai which I think hold the benchmark in braking.

Thanks,
Shibu
Please insist on GT itself for the test drive. Yes, the lack of rear disc breaks does seem an issue on paper and considering that a lesser powerful i20 gets it, it makes me hate VW for this cost cutting measure, but in real world it doesn't make much difference unless you want to go from 150 to 0. I'm sure once you test drive a GT you'll fall in love with it
Old 5th June 2014, 17:14   #171
BHPian

Quote:
3.how effective is A/C?
The vehicle does not need frequent topping with engine oil. Some workshops follow a practise of topping up the engine oil just to make some extra dough- specially in the first check up.

I have just used the phone twice- an android. No problems at all.

The A/C is pretty good. I am happy here in the heat of Gurgaon and Delhi.

Apparently the car does have sump guard- not too sure.

Parking sensors need a lil getting used to. The blaring beeps begin at roughly a distance of 8 inches. @Kanasu- the parking sensors just beep and do not show the distance anywhere (if thats not an update in the 2014 models that is)

@Kanasu. The GT is a league in itself. Indian roads do not really make you notice the difference of not having a rear disc brake. If you have a serious street racing demon- then thats an issue- Else the drive of the GT can in no way be matched with the Vento. GT is way more peppier.
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 11:14   #172
BHPian

Quote:
3.how effective is A/C?
No engine oil top-up required as yet (completed 10,000 KM).

I do have problem with Bluetooth. But I use Lumia 800. It connects, but after some time loses the connection. But it worked properly with my old Symbian phone. I heard it has problems with i-phone too.

AC is adequate. A little more is desirable. It just that it takes more time to cool in peak summer if it is left standing in open parking.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 17:01   #173
BHPian

Gannu, I just noticed that the backlighting for the head unit and the climate control dims whenever the parking light/headlight is switched on. Does this happen for you as well and any idea if the backlight intensity can be adjusted?
Old 7th June 2014, 19:40   #174
BHPian

OK. I'm using the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU which shows the distance in cms. Didn't know that it was not the case in the stock RCD 320 HU.
Old 7th June 2014, 21:37   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Thanks Gannu, looking forward. If the seats didn't fold, it would have been a deal breaker for me.
Really sorry man. Was completely preoccupied with work this week. Shall post the snaps tomorrow positively.

Quote:
3.how effective is A/C?
1. The engine oil remains at the medium level so far. I haven't topped it up yet.

2. I am using the Blaunpunkt Philadelphia unit. No issues w.r.t. pairing.

3. AC is good but if the car is parked under the hot sun for a long time, it takes a while to chill the cabin. That's natural since the upholstery and plastics have absorbed a good amount of heat and the windows are rolled up with the car acting like a greenhouse. I leave a small gap (~10 mm) on top of the windows while they are rolled up but it isn't very effective. As soon as I start the car, all the windows are rolled down, the AC is turned off and the blower is set to the highest speed. Then after 5 minutes or so, the AC is turned on. I set the climatronic temperature to 22'C and the blower remains at level 2 or 3 in AUTO mode.

4. Have to check. Will get back to you by tomorrow.

5. Parking sensors are good and very sensitive. The beeps are heard from a separate buzzer not connected to the audio system. The HU displays the response properly. The distance indicated is more or less accurate, give or take few cm. We don't need accuracy in mm anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Gannu, I just noticed that the backlighting for the head unit and the climate control dims whenever the parking light/headlight is switched on. Does this happen for you as well and any idea if the backlight intensity can be adjusted?
Yo, what's up? Yes this is natural. And I've noticed this in our Dzire back home. Backlight intensity cannot be adjusted unfortunately on the Polo. On the Jetta and upwards, it can be.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-light-switch.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
OK. I'm using the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU which shows the distance in cms. Didn't know that it was not the case in the stock RCD 320 HU.
Nope the RCD 320 doesn't support the parking sensors' display. The RCD 310 does however including the climatronic display.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-783_ssl17604.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-additionalrcd301dabradio1.jpg

Another DIY is a W.I.P. Will be done by tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 01:55   #176
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Really sorry man. Was completely preoccupied with work this week. Shall post the snaps tomorrow positively.

Another DIY is a W.I.P. Will be done by tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
I know I can count on you to deliver. Keeping my eyes peeled to your thread for the new DIY. You really have set the bar for tasteful, inexpensive DIY's for the GT. The small things make all the difference IMO.
Old 8th June 2014, 14:42   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know I can count on you to deliver.
I could only manage this half-decent image:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140608_10_18_37_pro.jpg

There is a plastic guard you can see on the left and a cushioning material on the right with 'MADE IN' partially visible which protects the sump. I believe this isn't a proper sump guard.

OTOH this is one:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-30082008011.jpg

A reference from Google Images. The guard properly covers the entire engine. A sump guard can be fabricated from a piece of sheet metal. An experienced FNG should be able to do it for a price.

Quote:
Keeping my eyes peeled to your thread for the new DIY.
Unfortunately, it will have to wait. We met a roadblock and will have to reorder the part again. But anyways, once it's up I shall upload the snaps and a short video. Nothing major though.
Old 8th June 2014, 15:06   #178
DWC
BHPian

Haha Gannu, I asked you for a picture of the folding seats!
Old 8th June 2014, 20:47   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yikes, where did the sump guard come from?!

Sorry man, please give me time until tomorrow. It is dark now and our apartment's parking lot isn't quite well lit. I'll post the snap tomorrow evening. Hope that's ok.

In the meantime, the DIY work turned out to be successful using the old part. Shall post the video and the log in a couple of days.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 20:27   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here are some snaps clicked some time back. Sorry for the night shots.

The front seats have to be pushed forward. The seat (bottom part) has to be lifted and pushed forward:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140609_19_45_12_pro.jpg

In my case, the centre arm-rest interferes with the seat:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140609_19_44_15_pro.jpg

The seat-back has to be folded by releasing the tabs at the either ends and the head restraints have to be removed. In this case, the seat-back does not fold completely. This is the best it would do:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140609_19_43_57_pro.jpg

In the absence of the arm-rest, the seat would fold completely by 180 deg. and the seat-back would lay flat atop it. I recall we had done this when we fixed the radio aerial. We didn't have the arm-rest installed at that time. Perhaps other GT TDI owners could confirm.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2014 at 20:30.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed