Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 14:58   #256
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Simply, these are more electronic than electrical in nature.
I thought the same. No idea about the TTL part but I thought in the current gen. cars, these inputs have largely become electronic in nature.

Quote:
By the way, I will ensure when you drive to Bangalore by hinting the RTO to seize your car and verify if its not imported and the variant description is not matching with the features/badge!

Quote:
Last but not the least, Keep doing those awesome DIYs. They all look stock, they all look neat!
Thanks a lot Paragbhai! All the mods attempted so far have been easy and I've documented it on the forum. I reckon even the steering wheel upgrade is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
gannu, bro you have to get the flat bottom mfsw. that is a must to enjoy the GT.

tell me you are getting it done... ;-)
Yep. All in due time.
Old 25th July 2014, 16:07   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thanks a lot Paragbhai! All the mods attempted so far have been easy and I've documented it on the forum. I reckon even the steering wheel upgrade is easy.
Yes they are. I have fought with my ASC on many aspects whenever they have heard me plan some DIY to install something from a higher variant.

They argued that I cannot fit the steering wheel of 3rd Gen (3 spoke) to my 2nd Gen WagonR (2 Spoke)

They argued that I cannot retrofit the Convex mirrors of the 3rd Gen to my 2nd Gen.

They laughed when I said I will retrofit internal boot release to my 2nd Gen WagonR using exact parts used from 3rd Gen.

They even did not digest when I said I will install the Tachometer of Ritz in my WagonR.

I did that all and whenever they see these DIYs they ask me where I got it done .

I also wanted to installed Electrically adjustable mirrors for my WagonR but gave up sighting the steep cost of the part and my use case.

Now, for my Ertiga, I have already taken a lot of pictures from the parts catalog to attempt any more DIYs and understand the difference between variants on minutest details and order those parts later.

It takes too much for a company to deviate a lot when it comes to sharing the same parts or at least making things forward or backward compatible!

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th July 2014 at 16:09.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 19:51   #258
Team-BHP Support

Here are some snaps:

The chrome rings around the dials, the tiny little gauges for the coolant temperature and fuel gauge, the enlarged MFD with the white backlighting and additional functions, the red needles which are backlit all the time, a different buzzer for the warning beeps - the small things that transform the cabin entirely.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8872.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8877.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8883.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8879.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8871.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8891.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8889.jpg

With the new steering from the Golf, the interiors will be done. The suspension comes next. A set of Bilstein B6 are retailing at eBay Germany (link) for a mouthwatering price of 525 Euros which is approximately Rs. 43000. What deters me from ordering them is the chance of getting them stuck at the customs which member speedkills had warned me about. They are apparently classified under Dangerous Goods category because they are gas filled!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2014 at 19:57.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 20:36   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some snaps:

The chrome rings around the dials, the tiny little gauges for the coolant temperature and fuel gauge, the enlarged MFD with the white backlighting and additional functions, the red needles which are backlit all the time, a different buzzer for the warning beeps - the small things that transform the cabin entirely.

Attachment 1266698

Attachment 1266699

Attachment 1266700

Attachment 1266701

Attachment 1266702

Attachment 1266703

Attachment 1266704

With the new steering from the Golf, the interiors will be done. The suspension comes next. A set of Bilstein B6 are retailing at eBay Germany (link) for a mouthwatering price of 525 Euros which is approximately Rs. 43000. What deters me from ordering them is the chance of getting them stuck at the customs which member speedkills had warned me about. They are apparently classified under Dangerous Goods category because they are gas filled!

Since they are gas filled, you can ask the sender ( supplier ) to enclose a MSDS certificate ( Material Safety Data Sheet ).

The customs will object that the shocks might have a specific type of gas that is either harmful or might explode.

The MSDS sheet is exactly meant to explain the gas it contains is neither dangerous nor will explode.

I think that should save you the trouble of the consignment getting stuck in customs.

Besides, I would recommend that you get this package booked to an address either Cochin, Mumbai airport ( any airport where International flight lands directly ). The chances of consignment getting cleared there are better than Ahmedabad as the consignment is likely to get stuck in domestic transit and not overseas transit.

In all probablities I think im right. You may cross check with an domestic airline cargo office. Just tell them you need to book shocks from Ahmedabad to any destination ( in India ). See what they reply. And you may ask them if you provide MSDS will it suffice. By this way, you are kind of confident of your issue.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 20:47   #260
BHPian

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...onotube_01.pdf

this should help you.

The classification is not dangerous.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 20:51   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
Since they are gas filled, you can ask the sender ( supplier ) to enclose a MSDS certificate ( Material Safety Data Sheet ).
Thanks a ton Prakash bhai! That info was extremely helpful.

The MSDS for Bilstein's dampers are readily available for download as PDF posted by Bilstein themselves (link).

The issue is on both ends - from the airport the consignment loads and the airport it unloads. If this MSDS can be included in an envelope with the necessary packing labels, I guess it will clear the checks sooner.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 22:45   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Petes is the reseller of bilstien in India. If the price difference is not too much it is better to get it from them. Besides you get official warranty
Old 1st August 2014, 15:41   #263
BHPian

Hey gannu I recently bought a GTI grille for my vento did you install your grill yourself or did you got to a bodyshop to get it done? . If you did it yourself could you share the procedure of the same thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 22:02   #264
Senior - BHPian

Which is the HU, and how did you manage the cluster to work showing coolant temperature? Old gen vento/polo didn't come with temperature sensor for the coolant right?
Old 1st August 2014, 23:41   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Which is the HU
That's the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU which is their VW/Skoda specific model.
Old 2nd August 2014, 00:09   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Petes is the reseller of bilstien in India. If the price difference is not too much it is better to get it from them. Besides you get official warranty
The difference is close to 25k. I am not sure if it is really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hey gannu I recently bought a GTI grille for my vento did you install your grill yourself or did you got to a bodyshop to get it done? . If you did it yourself could you share the procedure of the same thanks
Yes I swapped the grill myself. It was pretty simple so did not bother clicking snaps or documenting it on the forum.

Dismantling the stock grill was a bit hard probably because we were attempting it for the first time.

1. Remove the 2 Torx screws on the either side of the grill using the T20 Torx bit:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2784.png

2. Once the screws are out, using a flat bit on the screwdriver, insert it on the slot of the grill and push it. There are 4 slots as indicated above. When you insert a flat bit on this slot, you are pushing a tab on the grill which comes off. Pull out the grill as you push the bit inside. The front portion comes off.

3. For the bottom portion of the grill, there are 6 tabs spaced evenly. To spot these tabs, you will need to shine a torch in the gap between the front bumper and the grill:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2732.png

Insert the flat bit on these tabs and the grill starts coming off. I hope this helps. If you are finding it hard, approach a good FNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
how did you manage the cluster to work showing coolant temperature? Old gen vento/polo didn't come with temperature sensor for the coolant right?
Yep, the previous gen. Polo/Vento doesn't have the coolant temp. sensor attached to the coolant expansion tank. However there is a different sensor somewhere in the loop since the stock cluster has a coolant high temperature warning light.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:05   #267
BHPian

Ok thanks for the assistance i shall have a go my self
Old 8th August 2014, 22:01   #268
Team-BHP Support

Exactly 10 months and 1 day later:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20140808_120105.jpg

Sometimes I wish I had the kind of daily driving Anurag and Paragbhai does. Anyways, the next month is going to be a good one - I am headed to my hometown Palakkad for the wedding trip and she's tagging along wherever I go. We'll be doing a lot of travelling so the next month is going to be exciting!

We have a trip to Bombay and Aurangabad this month and I'll drop the car for the first scheduled service at the end of the month.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 01:32   #269
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly 10 months and 1 day later:

Sometimes I wish I had the kind of daily driving Anurag and Parag bhai does. Anyways, the next month is going to be a good one - I am headed to my hometown Palakkad for the wedding trip and she's tagging along wherever I go. We'll be doing a lot of travelling so the next month is going to be exciting!

We have a trip to Bombay and Aurangabad this month and I'll drop the car for the first scheduled service at the end of the month.
Search for a job that is far from home so traveling will increase.

Nice click - 12345 kms.

Since the cluster is of petrol version, does the needle climb till 8K out sites it end at 6K?

Anurag.
Old 9th August 2014, 07:21   #270
Team-BHP Support

^^I assume it goes by its regular diesel behaviour.

All of your modifications have an OEM look and none looked out-of-place, but the redline at 8K looks a bit odd on a TDI

By the way, the thread title say 'GTI Highline cluster'. It should be just 'GTI cluster' right?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks