Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 16:20   #526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Hi Gannu,

i have checked it using the cable, and facelift GTs do not come with the parking sensor module. I am not sure what all stuff is missing, but it does not show up on the VCDS. I was trying to change the buzzer tone, but the module was not present.
Hi lalit, a friend just pinged me a while back and reconfirmed it. The facelift Polo (and Vento?) does not come with the OPS module. Another cost cutting measure!

Quote:
Just curious, when you engage the reverse, does the music volume go down or not in your GT?
Yep, it does lower the music volume when the reverse gear is engaged. And the amount by which the volume goes low can be set using the option from the RCD 510 HU.

Quote:
I am asking, 'cos it goes down in my Laura, which definitely has OPS and parking sensor module present, but doesn't in my GT.
I am guessing the lack of the OPS module could be blamed here?

Quote:
Now, assuming that the module you showed the picture of is the missing link, how does one connect it? I can see the same part number available with a seller on Ali.
Honestly man, I have no clue since I didn't have a reason to fiddle with this OPS module ever. Let me search the web and dig out something if I can. I mean, there should be some info scattered somewhere.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:36   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yep, it does lower the music volume when the reverse gear is engaged. And the amount by which the volume goes low can be set using the option from the RCD 510 HU.
Precisely the info i was looking for, but just to be sure at the sake of repetition, before you installed RCD 510, did the volume go down with RCD 320 as well? If it did, then it will prove that the module is absent from facelift cars.
Old 21st July 2015, 16:37   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Precisely the info i was looking for, but just to be sure at the sake of repetition, before you installed RCD 510, did the volume go down with RCD 320 as well? If it did, then it will prove that the module is absent from facelift cars.
I don't recall with the RCD 320 but it did with the Blaupunkt HU.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 19:32   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
In my pre facelift GT with RCD 320, the volume doesn't go down on engaging reverse gear. Is it a VCDS tweak i'm missing here or the RCD 320 doesn't support it ?
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:52   #530
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

I have the 2014 facelifted GT (TDi). My volume doesn't go down either when i engage reverse gear.
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:50   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
In my pre facelift GT with RCD 320, the volume doesn't go down on engaging reverse gear. Is it a VCDS tweak i'm missing here or the RCD 320 doesn't support it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
I have the 2014 facelifted GT (TDi). My volume doesn't go down either when i engage reverse gear.
Quote:
Clarified with a friend who has a Sep 2013 GT with RCD 320. the volume does not go down. It would be due to the RCD320 not supporting the function. Moving to RCD510 could bring that functionality, but in FL cars, due to the lack of PDC module, it could be a hit or a miss.
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:50   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Clarified with a friend who has a Sep 2013 GT with RCD 320. the volume does not go down. It would be due to the RCD320 not supporting the function. Moving to RCD510 could bring that functionality, but in FL cars, due to the lack of PDC module, it could be a hit or a miss.
Agreed! Volume doesn't go down in pre facelift GTs with the RCD 320. But I am glad that the OPS module is present and an upgrade of the HU will be sufficient to get it to work.

Quote:
More force but don't break it in the process. Go to the service center and politely request them if they can help you out with it:
You did this on your own, did you use a "special" tool or your bare hands?
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:52   #533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
But I am glad that the OPS module is present
Read again. The newer cars do not come with the OPS module or has an inferior module since VCDS does not detect one. Unlike the pre-facelift GTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
You did this on your own, did you use a "special" tool or your bare hands?
I did on my own using my bare hands.
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:04   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Read again. The newer cars do not come with the OPS module or has an inferior module since VCDS does not detect one. Unlike the pre-facelift GTs.
I have the pre-facelift GT and I am upgrading to the RCD 510 soon.
That's why I'm glad

Quote:
I did on my own using my bare hands.
Good to know. I'll attempt it too.
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:17   #535
Senior - BHPian

This thread is a nuisance. Mods should take it down!

Just kidding.

This is one of the best threads, and a few of the most well researched, highly detailed and useful mods are documented in the most beautiful, lucid manner..

Why is it a nuisance?
Because my Polo GT TSi hasn't even arrived at the showroom, and I have already ordered $300 worth of parts for it, after looking at this thread.

Friends, we are in bad company!!!

Jokes apart, Gannu, HATS OFF! Fabulous thread. Cheers!
frankmehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:05   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
This thread is a nuisance. Mods should take it down!

Just kidding.

This is one of the best threads, and a few of the most well researched, highly detailed and useful mods are documented in the most beautiful, lucid manner..

Why is it a nuisance?
Because my Polo GT TSi hasn't even arrived at the showroom, and I have already ordered $300 worth of parts for it, after looking at this thread.

Friends, we are in bad company!!!

Jokes apart, Gannu, HATS OFF! Fabulous thread. Cheers!
Welcome to the club, but if you take my advice, then cancel your booking asap. this car is a money pit. I have already spent about 1.75 lac on it, and there is an outlay of another 1.25 planned. god forbid, if you get into the cosmetic bits, then another 1 lac is easily drained from your savings.
lalittalwar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 21:20   #537
Team-BHP Support

Well, I have some good news and bad news to share.

First, the bad news - the car had its first fender-bender with a truck. The first scratch on the car hurts, this was beyond that! :’(

The mistake was mine. Let me explain - a truck was joining the main highway from a dhaba and we had gone there for lunch yesterday. There was some gap to the left of the truck for a car to go through and the driver wasn’t paying attention to the left side and was looking at the right side of the road where the vehicles are coming from.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-incident.png

We decided to go through this gap and the truck takes a sharp turn to join the left most lane on the highway, when his front co-driver side wheel brushes against the ORVM folding it to the front, brushes against the fender denting it severely. The front bumper comes off its locks and is dislocated. I honk and the truck stopped instantly (adrenaline level shoots up and the heart beats 2x as fast not knowing what the hell just happened in the last 10 seconds!). I reversed back a bit and made it through the gap. We drove a bit ahead, parked the car on the side of the road, got down and assess what damage has happened. We see this:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150724_13_29_44_pro.jpg

I was speechless and didn’t quite know what to say or react. It was my mistake to have squeezed through the gap on the left of the truck. I just wished the truck driver had checked his LHS ORVM before making the turn but he was concentrating on the right side. I wouldn’t blame the driver anyway. Friends consoled me saying no one was hurt and that was a good thing. Else we would have been at the nearest police station filing an FIR and such. Fortunately, nothing of that sort. I decided to leave a bit early from work and head to the service center. Called up my trusted service advisor and he ensured me it wouldn’t be a big deal.

We reach the service center at 4:30 PM the same day, the service advisor promptly checks and laughs! He said, going by the way I described it over the phone, he thought the damage must have been severe! This is just a simple dent and can be tinkered back into the factory shape after removing it from the body. The bumper has minor scratches and it came off the locks with a broken Torx screw hole at the corner. He said the expenses would be around Rs. 3500 and thereabouts to repair it. If I was going with the insurance settlement, he could get the bumper replaced. I didn’t want to since the bumper was in good shape and decided to pay from my pocket. He asked me to drop the car today and the work would commence on Monday. Before heading to work today, we gave a push to the bumper and it got locked in the slot! Now the fender looks out of place with the dent. We dropped the car at the service center sometime back.

Well, that’s the bad news. Now the good news is, I got my 9W7 BT module shipped from Poland yesterday evening (took a couple of weeks) and fixed it right away.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0604.jpg

Installation was a breeze and took less than half an hour. The MFD now displays the phone book, call register, BT settings, dialing option, ring tones (11 tones to be selected) etc. Music streaming from my phone works flawlessly - it used to have some hiccups with the previous HU. Here are some snaps of the MFD indicating the various menus and displays:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0667.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0675.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0676.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0677.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0678.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0679.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0681.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0671.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0682.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0684.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0672.jpg

Installed it below the glove box using 3 M6 hex. head bolts, nuts and washers:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0654.jpg

My friend confirmed that the call quality is a lot better than the previous Blaupunkt HU and there is no echoing of the voice from the person on the other side.

Unlock the car, insert the key and start the ACC, the system searches for the last device connected and connects with it in less than 15 seconds. Press the phone button on the steering wheel and it brings up the menu, browse using the RHS stalk TRIP buttons and press the OK/RESET button to enter the option. I seriously loved this upgrade! So well, that proves that the Delphi RCD 510 is compatible with the 9W7 BT module. The only downside with this setup being the HU display does not display the phone book or the dialpad - I guess I can live with it.

Shall update the thread when I get the car back from the service center after the fender is repaired. Pained to drop it there and walk back. :(

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 08:51.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 22:46   #538
BHPian

Ouch !! That hurts. Here's wishing your car a speedy recovery.
Hope the panel is painted in line with the body color and shine. Watch out for that.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 00:27   #539
BHPian

Hi Gannu, I am sorry for your loss. I know the first one hurts. I hope it gets a speedy recovery.

Coming to your Mods, you are an inspiration. Remember once you guided me towards Passat footwell lights DIY write up, Well I did that and its up and running. All thanks to you.

9w7 bluetooth is my next mod. It would be great if you can share costs and a DIY writeup. Thanks
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 11:43   #540
BHPian

Oouch! that must have hurt. I have a similar damage on the rear wheel arch and have been driving with it as i am not confident about what these guys will do and quality of work.
Any idea how they will repair it, will they pull it out or cut it and weld a new panel?
What is the time frame they have asked for doing this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks