Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 13:15   #541
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Anyone knows if wiper speed can be changed? There is low, high and 4 intermediate settings. I found wiper sweeps once in ~20 seconds and low setting, whereas it is nearly one per second in lowest of 4 intermediate speed settings. So there is big gap between these two. I am trying to find if I can slow down first of 4 intermediate speed positions to something like once per 5 seconds.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:26   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Jokes apart, Gannu, HATS OFF! Fabulous thread. Cheers!
Thanks Frank! Congrats on your TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
This car is a money pit.
QFT! There's no end to the swaps, upgrades or retrofits that could be done on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Remember once you guided me towards Passat footwell lights DIY write up, Well I did that and its up and running. All thanks to you.
The footwell lights? Good to hear that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
9w7 bluetooth is my next mod. It would be great if you can share costs and a DIY writeup. Thanks
Updated the existing thread with the 9W7 installation and the related bits. Do have a look.

The installation is very easy. On the Passat, be careful when you pry open the A-pillar trim to route the mic cable. I suggest you approach the service center - they should do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Any idea how they will repair it, will they pull it out or cut it and weld a new panel?
From what the body shop in-charge said, the fender can be taken out and they will use a 'puller' to get it back to the desired shape. The whole fender will then be stripped off the stock paint, primed and repainted in the 'paint booth'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
What is the time frame they have asked for doing this?
3-4 days but since it is pouring here since the last 2 weeks, I am thinking it might take a day or two more for the paint to dry.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:37   #543
BHPian

Hey Gannu,

That fender bender may look bad, but once back from the workshop, it should look good. One advice, ask the service centre guys to be careful with painting and sanding. My car had gone for similar work to VW (actually bigger accident same place on the car in similar circumstances) and the car came back with sanding dust on the interior trim, which was quite hard to remove.

all the best.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:50   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Aah, it's not too serious, I am sure they will be able to mend it to perfection. Being a black car, don't think, shade matching would be too much of an issue either.

Just wondering, how much have you spent so far on these awesome little value adds (some big ones too!)?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 10:05   #545
Team-BHP Support

The ownership thread has crossed 3,10,000 views in less than 2 years!

That is a LOT! My heartfelt thanks to the community and the viewers. Honestly, without the appreciation and feedback, I wouldn’t have really cared to update the thread from time to time. Now it serves as a sort of log book to me. Rest assured, it will continue to remain updated on all fronts - if it is an upgrade, an important milestone or a breakdown.

Updates:

1. Fender repair:

Collected the car back from the service center yesterday. The fender has been repaired to my expectations. Shade matching under sunlight looks good. No visible difference that the fender was repainted but it looks a lot more glossier than the bonnet and the driver side door.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150731_08_19_57_pro.jpg

There is a scratch on the bumper (not too deep though) when the truck’s tire brushed against it. Not a deal breaker for now since we have a long trip coming up and we don’t know what is in store. Total expenses were Rs. 3500 inclusive of taxes. The invoice is enclosed below:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0732.jpg

2. Philips X-treme Vision W5W LEDs:

Previously, I was using these el-cheapo W5W LEDs sourced off Aliexpress on the cabin light. While they were good for the price they retailed for, they were emitting a white light with a slight bluish tinge and the brightness was a little less. Sourced a pair of these Philips X-treme Vision LED 360 6000K off Powerbulbs UK (link) with a 20% discount coupon applied and man, these are insanely bright! And emits a neat white light without any shade of blue. I did not regret paying 25 GBP for 2 pairs of these babies. Received them in less than 10 days and the packaging was good with sufficient bubble wraps. They are made in China (if that matters) but the free W5W Osram bulbs that Powerbulbs threw in, are made in Germany! The irony!

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0593.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0724.jpg
(Please excuse the towels on the seats - cleaned the seats recently.)

Swapped the W5W halogens on the parking lights to these LEDs and they pair well with the white light emitted by the Xenon HIDs:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0719.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0720.jpg

3. OEM LED number plate lights:

Previously, I was using a W5W LED inside each number plate light. This was again the cheap LEDs which replaced the W5W halogen bulb inside the units. Replaced the whole unit with the OEM LED light and the output is brighter than before, thanks to the twin LED setups in each unit.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0685.jpg

Source - Aliexpress

Clicked these snaps in the manual mode, exposure time of 0.5 s and zero editing (other than resizing):

L, R - old setup with W5W LEDs:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0700.jpg

L - OEM LED light, R - W5W LED:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0710.jpg

L, R - OEM LED lights:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0712.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0715.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Just wondering, how much have you spent so far on these awesome little value adds (some big ones too!)?
Ouch, don’t ask! It’s a shade above Rs. 1.85 L.

A trip to Anand is coming up this Sunday and we’ll be taking the NE-1 expressway. Hopefully, there wouldn’t be a major block at Bharuch. We intend to take the Golden Bridge. Will be changing the tires next weekend.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th November 2015 at 12:01. Reason: Added Aliexpress link for the numberplate lights.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 10:22   #546
Team-BHP Support

I bought the same LED's for my Ecosport but from Amazon USA.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Bright...bxgy_263_img_z

They are very bright with nice even throw but you need to be careful as the cap comes off very easily. I believe the Osram ones are better.

Powerbulbs is almost charging 2X of what I paid for in Amazon USA.

Edit: You can actually get the Osram LED's cheaper here than powerbulbs http://www.auto.zepo.in/DRL-s-and-LE...id-407904.html

These are better quality than the Philips.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 31st July 2015 at 10:48.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:40   #547
Senior - BHPian

I have the Osram ones installed in my Octy. But I am facing an issue. When I unlock the car, the lights turn on and are super bright, perfectly alright. When I turn on ignition, lights fade out and completely off, again perfectly alright. When I am done with the drive, turn the ignition off, take out the key, the lights come on again, which is again normal.
My misery begins when I lock the car. This time, the lights fade out in normal fashion, but the slightest of the light still stays on. It keeps flickering and does not go completely off. I fear that causes battery drain. Hence I have stopped using the lights as of now.

Any coding that I can change in VCDS to make it work as it should?
Old 31st July 2015, 13:47   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
2. Philips X-treme Vision W5W LEDs:
Hi Gannu,

Just wanted to clear one doubt. As per my understanding, the cabin lights of polo do have the theater dimming effect. The stock bulbs are halogens, but you replaced it with the Philips X-treme Vision W5 LEDs. Do you still have the theater dimming effect with LEDs or have you lost it ?

Regards,
Deepak
Old 31st July 2015, 13:49   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Hi Gannu,

Just wanted to clear one doubt. As per my understanding, the cabin lights of polo do have the theater dimming effect. The stock bulbs are halogens, but you replaced it with the Philips X-treme Vision W5 LEDs. Do you still have the theater dimming effect with LEDs or have you lost it ?

Regards,
Deepak
Yes, they do dim out gradually when locking/unlocking the car. Shall click a clip demonstrating this and share it here later.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 10:24   #550
BHPian

Quote:
The ownership thread has crossed 3,10,000 views in less than 2 years!

That is a LOT! My heartfelt thanks to the community and the viewers. Honestly, without the appreciation and feedback, I wouldn’t have really cared to update the thread from time to time. Now it serves as a sort of log book to me. Rest assured, it will continue to remain updated on all fronts - if it is an upgrade, an important milestone or a breakdown.
Congrats for 3 lac views. You are truly an inspiration. Please mention the link for led number plate lights.
On the other hand what are the tyres you opted for?
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:29   #551

Hi Gannu,

Impressed with the way you take care of your car. I gotta few probs with my 2014 1.2tdi highline . There is no engine guard in my car. ASC said only previous models comes with full cover and my model consists cover only for vital parts instead full cover. Is there any possibility to get full cover that will fit perfectly for my model. Also one more thing, my car radiator fan making a buzzing noise now and then if i switch on AC . Is that normal. I dunno whether it was there before. But i am listening to it only after my first service which happened two months back. ASC said its normal in polo. Please help
Old 5th August 2015, 12:09   #552
BHPian

gannu ji, please check http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vw-po...814449735.html if this can be used as plug and play for dimmimg switch
Old 5th August 2015, 12:28   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
gannu ji, please check http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vw-po...814449735.html if this can be used as plug and play for dimmimg switch
It isn't a plug and play switch. They have indicated the switch and the plug with the harness that connects to it. This modification involves connecting one extra wire from the stock connector to a 5-wire junction after separating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparam View Post
There is no engine guard in my car. ASC said only previous models comes with full cover and my model consists cover only for vital parts instead full cover. Is there any possibility to get full cover that will fit perfectly for my model.
Even the GT does not come with a skid plate. There is some cloth cushion kind of cover protecting the sump in my car. Not sure if the Polo sold here had one at all. There is an OEM plastic skid plate (part number - 6R0825902A) available with the dealerships - do enquire with yours if they can source one for you and install it. The other alternative is to source a 1 sq. m aluminium checkered plate from the market (like the ones you find on the bus flooring), get the brackets fabricated and install it at an FNG - would end up being cheaper. A mockup of this plate can be done using cardboard and then do the final design on the alu. plate.

Some examples:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-d27e0ccs960.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-2e7e0ccs960.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-162gb8s960.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-e6agb8s960.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th August 2015 at 12:45.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:28   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It isn't a plug and play switch. They have indicated the switch and the plug with the harness that connects to it. This modification involves connecting one extra wire from the stock connector to a 5-wire junction after separating it.
In other words, not worth it.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:07   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
In other words, not worth it.
Depends Frank. For people who do frequent night drives, the backlighting from the switches can be bothersome. Some manufacturers provide this control on the dash. VW conveniently omitted it for the Indian market.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks