Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 13:24   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Depends Frank. For people who do frequent night drives, the backlighting from the switches can be bothersome. Some manufacturers provide this control on the dash. VW conveniently omitted it for the Indian market.
I know, bro. I remember looking for it the first time I switched on the parking lights. But then, I realised there's a blank in place of where the switch was supposed to be. But I do a lot of night driving and this doesn't bother me at all, actually.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:16   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Depends Frank. For people who do frequent night drives, the backlighting from the switches can be bothersome. Some manufacturers provide this control on the dash. VW conveniently omitted it for the Indian market.
Gannu Bhai, Please provide a detailed DIY if it is possible..
Otherwise I am planning to paste a little dark protective film on th instrument cluster.
Have you changed the tyres?
If yes please provide changes in handling and ride?
Old 5th August 2015, 14:18   #558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Gannu Bhai, Please provide a detailed DIY if it is possible to control..
I haven't done this one yet. If it is done, it will be shared here.

Quote:
Have you changed the tyres?
If yes please provide changes in handling and ride?
Not yet. Will be done this weekend.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:20   #559
BHPian

Quote:

Not yet. Will be done this weekend.
I think you are going for 195/60/R15 P3ST. Any reasons not going for 205/55/15.
Old 5th August 2015, 14:57   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you are going for 195/60/R15 P3ST.
Indeed. Prefer a noise free comfortable drive for now since the car is a daily driver. Might opt for the sporty ones during the next swap.

Quote:
Any reasons not going for 205/55/15.
Don't want to compromise on the fuel efficiency much. And the P3STs aren't available in 205/55.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:33   #561
BHPian

Your tyre deal is done.
Saturday it is then. Get ready for getting used to silent drives my friend. The P3STs are on their way.
chintu_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 08:39   #562
BHPian

gannu bhai, a question regarding 195/60/r15, Would this impact warranty?
Old 8th August 2015, 10:17   #563
Team-BHP Support

Swapped the stock Acelere tires for the Michelin Primacy 3ST ones from a local tire outlet yesterday (odo at 39300 km):

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-p3st_1.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-p3st.jpg

Occupies the front wheel wells nicely; not as much in the rear though.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0738.jpg

The old tires still had some life left in them but we didn’t want to risk it whilst we are on the long road trip coming up next weekend. Priority was comfort and noise reduction since the car is a daily driver now. Cost me Rs. 23800 (Rs. 5900 per tire) inclusive of installation, alignment and balancing. Been driving sedately now to let them break in. Road noise intrusion into the cabin has lessened by a huge leap and the difference is noticeable. Yet to test the grip on wet roads - I hope it would be better than what the Aceleres offered.

I plan to get cruise control installed in the car shortly and found a kickass deal for the stalks and the harness from Spain on the UK Polos forum. I knew the guy since we have interacted before. Made the payment over PayPal quickly, he shipped it the same day and the consignment is in transit as we speak. The good thing is, he had painfully made the harness all by himself by sourcing the required cables and terminals, soldering the blocking diode, crimping them and Tesa taping them. Thanks a lot man! Some snaps of the stuff inbound:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-stalks.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-stalk-left.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-sw-module.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-sw-module2.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-harness.jpg

I have done the homework in the meantime and know what needs to be done to get cruise control installed and working. The main challenge would be routing the lone cable to the ECU’s connector through the firewall and that requires an anti-theft bracket of the ECU to be removed. FWIK, if it is removed, it will have to be renewed - will see if the service center here could be of help. But before all that, I need to change the stock BCM and there are quite a few deals online ranging from 7k to 14k shipped from the Europe whereas the dealership is quoting 29k! Yet to take a call on it.

Swapping the BCM is again easy - note down the long code from the stock BCM bit-by-bit (take screengrabs for each byte), disconnect the battery’s negative terminal, connect the new BCM, reconnect the negative terminal, transfer the previous code to this one and check each byte, adapt the keys and remove any errors. But the catch is, not all the highline BCMs with the code 087/088/090 work. The last letter on the BCM part number (e.g. 6R0 937 087 R) signifies the carrier frequency for the keyfob radio. In India, Eu and Russia - it is 434 MHz. In the US it is 315 MHz.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-bcm-last-letter.png

BCMs with 315 MHz radio carrier frequency ends with the letters A, C, E, G, J, L, N. These are usually manufactured by Continental at Mexico for the US and Canadian markets. Examples:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-087-c.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-087-e.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-087-j.jpg

BCMs with 434 MHz radio carrier frequency ends with the letters B, D, F, H, K, M, P, R, T. These are usually manufactured by Continental at Germany, Ireland and India for the Indian, European, South African and Russian markets. Examples:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-087-r.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-087-k.jpg

The radio frequency is also indicated inside the key:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-key.png

So those who are planning to upgrade their BCMs, keep this in mind.

That would be all. Let’s see how the new tires hold up. Looking forward for our trip (while getting equally nervous about it!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_91 View Post
Your tyre deal is done.
Thanks a lot for the recommendation and help man!

Great place and great service - will wholeheartedly recommend this place (National Tyre Service) which is just besides the NH-8. They use Hunter’s balancing and wheel alignment equipment if that matters.

Location - Google Maps

Contact - Mubashir bhai (9913707679)

Quote:
gannu bhai, a question regarding 195/60/r15, Would this impact warranty?
It might affect the suspension warranty. Best to check up with dealership/service center directly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th August 2015 at 10:25.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 10:52   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Swapped the stock Acelere tires for the Michelin Primacy 3ST ones from a local tire outlet yesterday (odo at 39300 km):
Good one Gannu. Just wanted to know what size have you upgraded them to ? If I remember right, you previously have 205/55.

Also, just curious to know why you did not go in for some uni-directional rubber. Considering all the updates/mods you got on your stead IMO it would have looked nice.

Quote:

I plan to get cruise control installed in the car shortly and found a kickass deal for the stalks and the harness from Spain on the UK Polos forum.
Boy you have turned your GT into a complete European machine bro. The thing I really like is that you have stuck to really subtle mods for the most part.
Old 9th August 2015, 10:57   #565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Good one Gannu. Just wanted to know what size have you upgraded them to ? If I remember right, you previously have 205/55.
Stock Aceleres Vikram = 185/60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Also, just curious to know why you did not go in for some uni-directional rubber. Considering all the updates/mods you got on your stead IMO it would have looked nice.
I preferred comfort and reduced road noise intrusion into the cabin since I do a lot of commute these days. Perhaps, the next swap may be to these depending on how the Michelins fare.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 11:20   #566
BHPian

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:

5. OEM anti-glare ORVMs:

Attachment 1386873

During the night:

Attachment 1386874

Just for the record, these are not aspherical and offer the same field of vision as that of the stock mirrors. Swapping the mirrors made a remarkable difference during night drives. The irritating glare from the high beams of the trailing vehicles have reduced. Did a night drive recently on the 6-laned NH8 and had a very pleasant experience.

Source: Aliexpress, China (shipped via HK Post)

Price: 40 USD
How about the view in broad day light? Will it differentiate the colours or is it more towards bluish tinge?

Quote:
7. Auto-headlight sensor module and the Golf Mk7’s headlight switch:

Attachment 1386884

The build quality of the switch is good - no part feels flimsy or built loose. The sensor (an LDR - light dependent resistor, basically) is located above the dashboard at the bottom of the driver side A-pillar.

Coming home lights - with the switch set to Auto, remove the key from the slot and the headlights, tail lights and number plate lights are turned on for a preset time:

Leaving home lights - unlock the car and if the surroundings are dark as sensed by the light sensor, the lights turn on:

Gotta love this tiny little module that converts a regular switch to the Auto module along with the coming-home and leaving-home options. The more expensive way to do this is to upgrade the BCM. This has nothing to do with VCDS and the sensitivity can be adjusted using the switch itself. This system is independent of the BCM and no setting can be changed using VCDS.

Part number: 5ND 941 431 E XSH (for the headlight switch)

Source: Aliexpress, China

Price: 70 USD (shipped via HK Post)
My Auto HL switch part number is the same as yours, but only parking lights comes up for CL/LH options. In your demo video i can see the HL activates on locking! Even i am trying for the same for the past few months. Any pointers on this?
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-imag2783.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2015 at 13:13. Reason: Removing youtube url from the quoted post.
Old 9th August 2015, 13:12   #567
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
How about the view in broad day light? Will it differentiate the colours or is it more towards bluish tinge?
It has the bluish tinge. There is a snap taken in daylight on the same post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
My Auto HL switch part number is the same as yours, but only parking lights comes up for CL/LH options. In your demo video i can see the HL activates on locking! Even i am trying for the same for the past few months. Any pointers on this?
Nope. Best to refer to your installer. Did you not notice this after it was installed? It could also be the dual beam headlights on the new Polo using the parking lights instead of the main beams. I have the older headlights.
Old 9th August 2015, 13:12   #568
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to get cruise control installed in the car shortly and found a kickass deal for the stalks and the harness from Spain on the UK Polos forum.

I have done the homework in the meantime and know what needs to be done to get cruise control installed and working. The main challenge would be routing the lone cable to the ECU’s connector through the firewall and that requires an anti-theft bracket of the ECU to be removed. FWIK, if it is removed, it will have to be renewed - will see if the service center here could be of help. But before all that, I need to change the stock BCM and there are quite a few deals online ranging from 7k to 14k shipped from the Europe whereas the dealership is quoting 29k! Yet to take a call on it.
I've also procured a Cruise control Stalk from ebay Germany. My part number is 6R0953521B, as I wanted one without DIS (they are now integrated to Steering wheel). I'm awaiting the wiring harness for this kit from Aliexpress and once arrived, planning to get them fitted (expected in this coming week) at FNG or Bosch workshop nearby. I'd be grateful if you can provide some pointers around this.
Old 10th August 2015, 09:51   #569
Team-BHP Support

Got the pre-trip checkup done at the VW service center last weekend:

- They checked all the important bits - brakes, harnesses, tubing, fluid levels, electrical connections etc.

- Removed the windshield wiper nozzles and cleaned them using the HP pneumatic line.

- The coolant level had to be topped up. Engine oil level was up to the mark.

- Cleaned the radiator and the engine bay using the pneumatic line. Dust was all over the place!

- Replaced the air filter with a new one. Will have to carry one with us as a spare.

- Brakes - rear brake shoes are in good shape and so are the front brake pads and rotors.

Once we reached home, we removed the wheel bolts one at a time and tightened them manually using the supplied wrench. God forbid, if we ever had to replace a bad tire and were unable to loosen them, we would be wasting a lot of time searching for help.

Also removed the cabin light, decided to use insulated butt crimps for all the junctions and got rid of the luster terminals - much safer this way and no worry of the wires coming off loose from the screwed junction. Tied the cables as well and got a USB output for powering the dashcam from the 12V USB charger. Works beautifully now and avoided routing the cable through the A-pillar:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20150809_123621.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
I've also procured a Cruise control Stalk from ebay Germany. My part number is 6R0953521B, as I wanted one without DIS (they are now integrated to Steering wheel). I'm awaiting the wiring harness for this kit from Aliexpress and once arrived, planning to get them fitted (expected in this coming week) at FNG or Bosch workshop nearby. I'd be grateful if you can provide some pointers around this.
Saw that you’ve already contacted Fernando. In any case, these are the connections and the pin numbers where these cables should be inserted/replaced:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-612.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-810.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-710.jpg

I haven’t attempted this modification yet so cannot comment on it any further. Do check if the harness from Aliexpress has the blocking diode. Else you will have to solder one as per the current flow diagram. The diode prevents the malfunction of the CCS SET button. The pin number for the ECU varies from engine to engine - I am not sure what it is for the TSI engine; best wait for his input. Good luck!
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 10:56   #570
BHPian

Quote:

Saw that you’ve already contacted Fernando. In any case, these are the connections and the pin numbers where these cables should be inserted/replaced:

I haven’t attempted this modification yet so cannot comment on it any further. Do check if the harness from Aliexpress has the blocking diode. Else you will have to solder one as per the current flow diagram. The diode prevents the malfunction of the CCS SET button. The pin number for the ECU varies from engine to engine - I am not sure what it is for the TSI engine; best wait for his input. Good luck!
Thanks again Gannu.
Looking forward to your DIY on this. I'm also trying several sources regarding the wiring for TSI. **fingers crossed**
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed