Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:05   #586
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Gannu ji, Epic mate. What a journey! I would say this is one of the best thread on this forum. I am always waiting for an update. This time Gannu_1 you have pushed this car to the limit I guess. Besides the capabilities of the car you have a big heart to try these sort of things.
Secondly your photography skills are quite evident here and the photograph near the lake is simply breathtaking.
Please let us know the difference to ride and handling the p3st tyres have made.
As always eagerly waiting for you to update the thread with your cruise control mod..
Cheers.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 12:16   #587
BHPian

Awesome buddy. You have been very brave. This inspires a lot of us am sure! Loved how you included the GT in all pics very beautifully. Waiting for more.
Just one query please. Did you have to do anything to the coolant or any engine fluids to prevent it from freezing?
Saint_Krish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 18:24   #588
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for the feedback and appreciation guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
And I am glad that you didn't any face with Taxi unions as well, hope all these stuff dies down soon.
Absolutely nothing. No one bothered to stop us and check if this was my own car or if we had borrowed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Please let us know the difference to ride and handling the p3st tyres have made.
The road noise intrusion into the cabin has reduced significantly. That's one major difference these Michelins have made. No qualms regarding the comfort or ride quality either. I cruise at 80-90 kmph in the 4-laned roads during the day-to-day commutes. Cannot say if it has definitely improved over the stock Aceleres but no complaints.

In fact, the new tires were one of the reasons, I guess we came back without a tire failure! Every time the car went over a huge sharp stone at some of the bad stretches, my heart would skip a beat! We used to inspect the tires from time to time, whenever we took a break but the tires have taken them all very gracefully.

Quote:
As always eagerly waiting for you to update the thread with your cruise control mod.
It will take time Sunil. I have to upgrade the BCM first. Sitting over the fence if I have to source one from the Eu (paying lesser but the wait is longer and eradicating any errors is a question mark) or from the authorised service center (2x expensive but takes care of installation and any errors; no DOA issue either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Just one query please. Did you have to do anything to the coolant or any engine fluids to prevent it from freezing?
Nope, no additives.
Old 10th September 2015, 13:45   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I have to upgrade the BCM first. Sitting over the fence if I have to source one from the Eu (paying lesser but the wait is longer and eradicating any errors is a question mark) or from the authorised service center
Gannu_1, Just a general question. I've heard that Cruise Control can be retrofitted just by changing the Stalks on the face lifted GT TSI models as this particular variant has the highline BCM which supports it. Is this true?
Old 10th September 2015, 13:47   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Gannu_1, Just a general question. I've heard that Cruise Control can be retrofitted just by changing the Stalks on the face lifted GT TSI models as this particular variant has the highline BCM which supports it. Is this true?
That's right. You need to route the harness cables to the BCM connectors and the ECU as well.

AFAIK, the GT TSIs from the launch, came with a 087 BCM that supports cruise control.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 13:56   #591
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, the GT TSIs from the launch, came with a 087 BCM that supports cruise control.
But why BCM is different for GT TDI?
Is the cornering light feature an indication that the BCM is highline? How about this feature on GT TDI ?
Old 10th September 2015, 14:02   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But why BCM is different for GT TDI?
Not any more! The facelift 1.5 TDI models has the same 087 R BCM. A friend who owns a highline Polo confirmed the same as well. OTOH my neighbour who has a highline Vento (purchased during Feb '15) has a 086 model.

Quote:
Is the cornering light feature an indication that the BCM is highline? How about this feature on GT TDI ?
From what I understand, yes. Besides, for the cornering light feature, swapping the BCM alone wouldn'y work - the steering angle sensor input is also fed into the BCM and the fog light wiring harness is different. Cornering lights are available on the current GT models.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th September 2015 at 14:04.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 14:15   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Not any more! The facelift 1.5 TDI models has the same 087 R BCM.
This is actually making me jealous but why ignored on pre-facelift GT TDI
Anyways, like your DIYs so far, Cruise Control retrofit DIY on your GT will also become one of the most discussing topics on this forum.
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 20:45   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Not any more! The facelift 1.5 TDI models has the same 087 R BCM. A friend who owns a highline Polo confirmed the same as well. OTOH my neighbour who has a highline Vento (purchased during Feb '15) has a 086 model
Gannu Bhai, Means the Polo Highline July 2015 Manufactured has 087 module and it would just require cables to be routed from ccs stalks to the bcm and will not require us to change the bcm module in my case.

Secondly I was searching for the ccs kit and found the kit on aliexpress the link is http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-A...444_5,201409_4
Would this kit be appropriate for the purpose?
confirm if this mod can be done.
Old 13th September 2015, 20:48   #595
Senior - BHPian

Glued in to this cruise control thing.

Waiting to see what can be done..

Interested in a group buy too.
Where do I get to see which model of bcm I have?
Old 14th September 2015, 11:19   #596
BHPian

Hi Gannu,
You really had an epic journey. Kindly post more pictures.
Amazing journey and wonderful destination.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:01   #597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gannu Bhai, Means the Polo Highline July 2015 Manufactured has 087 module and it would just require cables to be routed from ccs stalks to the bcm and will not require us to change the bcm module in my case.
Best to confirm it yourself. Refer below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Where do I get to see which model of bcm I have?
Refer this post to check the BCM in your car.

TSI owners needn't worry in any case.

Quote:
Secondly I was searching for the ccs kit and found the kit on aliexpress the link is http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-A...444_5,201409_4
Would this kit be appropriate for the purpose?
confirm if this mod can be done.
Not sure about the Aliexpress ones. I came across a lot of kits when I had searched before.

For the facelift Polo and Vento owners, you require the kit which has the right stalk without the TRIP and OK/RESET buttons since these buttons are now integrated within the right spoke of the steering. i.e. this one:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-2015vwvento03.jpg

For the pre-facelift Polo and Vento owners, they require the one with these buttons on the right stalk. i.e. this one:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_3042.jpg

Guys, the cruise control retrofit will take some time since I have to upgrade the BCM first and I am busy with some other things at the moment. The service center will lend all the help that they can for the retrofit. Especially the part where the wire needs to be inserted into the ECU connector by removing the anti-theft bracket. I am yet to receive the contents from the Customs, FPO - once I do, I will share the images and the current flow diagrams here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
Hi Gannu,
You really had an epic journey. Kindly post more pictures.
Amazing journey and wonderful destination.
Thanks! Will share the travelogue once it is completed.
Old 19th September 2015, 10:48   #598
Team-BHP Support

Received the stalks with the cruise control module and the required cables with the end terminals.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150918_20_17_53_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150918_20_18_09_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150918_20_20_01_pro.jpg

No customs duties levied.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150918_20_24_20_pro.jpg

It took 3 days for the shipment to reach Mumbai from Spain and more than a month to get it released from the postal department! Now the BCM remains. Will source it from abroad since the local service center quoted 29k. A brand new one shipped from Europe can be had at less than half that price I reckon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2015 at 02:20.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 12:55   #599
Senior - BHPian

I know it's rude to ask for an ETA, but when will you accomplish this!? It's a Sunday! I hope you're tinkering with the car as we type!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 19:38   #600
BHPian

Are you guys aware that the new Polo GTs are gonna get the CCS? (Plus a few other goodies)

Source: http://www.volkswagenlive.in/volkswa...iants/polo-gt/

Looks like that will save some real risky DIY work. I guess the richer ones among us can source the stalks from the SC itself now Since mine's a 1.6 GT, my wiki is still tbhp n Gannu the #1's thread
Saint_Krish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks