Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 01:19   #601
BHPian

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Lots of things happened over the last 2 months. Posting some updates:

The last update would be this. No pics as I am yet to receive the consignment. Might get it on Monday hopefully. I intend to swap the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU to the Delphi RCD 510 unit for the following reasons:
- The shoddy user interface. Completely unjustified for a HU worth 40k+. I thought of living with it but I couldn’t stand the UI! I had even mailed Blaupunkt’s customer support at Germany to change this UI through a future firmware upgrade but they denied saying this is what it is and what it will be.

- Haven’t used the MMI navigation feature for a while now. I must however add, when I had used it, it worked well. Thank you MapmyIndia!

- Tracks were getting repeated after the car was restarted from a stop.

- Phone book sync is buggy. When I press the Phone button on the unit, it begins syncing the call list. Takes a while and the list appears. When I exit out and press it again, it takes the same time! This used to happen randomly.

- The DIY bug! Honestly, I wish I could rewind time back to December 2013 when we bought the Blaupunkt unit. At that time, we were noobs in this department and didn’t know much about the car. As we got to know more by fiddling during the weekends, this seems like a walk in the park! I am not kidding - it really is since the newer Polo (2013 and later) now come with the CANbus cables in the ISO connectors so there’s no need to remove the connector from the BCM to insert these cables. Shall share the whole thing on the RCD 510 DIY thread.
I did a lot of research before deciding to swap the unit and went with the Delphi make. Will order the 9W7 Bluetooth module, harness and mic once I setup the HU.

Hello Mr Gannu

I'm located in Baroda and I'm really interested in that Blaupunkt philadelphia 835 you're replacing.

I was wondering if you could help me out with a few doubts.

1st - is the blaupunkt unit a plug-n-play one ?

2nd - does it void my warranty if I replace my stock HU with it ? ( just bought the car yesterday )

3rd - Would it be compatible with my Vento CL which comes with RCD 220 inbuilt ?

Lastly, would you mind selling it to me ?

Thanking you.
Regards.
Old 26th September 2015, 08:30   #602
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I know it's rude to ask for an ETA, but when will you accomplish this!? It's a Sunday! I hope you're tinkering with the car as we type!
Frank, the cruise control retrofit will take some time. I will however share the steps here on how to go about with the retrofit along with the current flow diagrams. Give me some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
I'm really interested in that Blaupunkt philadelphia 835
Please go through this thread - Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 for VW Passat & others?

It has all the information you seek.

Quote:
1st - is the blaupunkt unit a plug-n-play one ?
Yes.

Quote:
2nd - does it void my warranty if I replace my stock HU with it ? ( just bought the car yesterday )
Safe to assume yes unless your VW service center tells you no and gives it to you in writing.

Quote:
3rd - Would it be compatible with my Vento CL which comes with RCD 220 inbuilt ?
Yes.

Quote:
Lastly, would you mind selling it to me ?
It has been sold long back.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 01:27   #603
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

i ordered my retro-fit kit as well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GENUI...289763964.html

It might be easier in mine, as I just need to pull 4 wires and install them in the BCM (i have the TSI so I should be having the 087 model) and other 4 wires to the fuse box.

The only dicey and unfavourable part is the amount of dismantling required to replace the stalks.
Old 28th September 2015, 08:48   #604
Team-BHP Support

Had gone to the market yesterday morn and noticed that the air on the FL tire was low. I had a hunch it was a puncture. Luckily, the culprit was visible when the tire was turned, extracted it with great difficulty using pincer pliers (it had penetrated tangential to the tire) and patched it using 2 patches.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150927_18_11_05_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150927_18_11_21_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150927_18_18_03_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150927_18_20_48_pro.jpg

Just look at the size of the damn thing!

Quote:
i ordered my retro-fit kit as well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GENUI...289763964.html
Is this the kit you have ordered? You need one which has the right stalk without the TRIP and OK/RESET buttons since you have these on your steering now. Not a big deal though since both the set of buttons would work but if you use the ones on the stalk, the steering ones would not work until you turn off the car and turn it on.

Quote:
It might be easier in mine, as I just need to pull 4 wires and install them in the BCM (i have the TSI so I should be having the 087 model) and other 4 wires to the fuse box.
There's only 1 cable that goes to the fuse box for the power. Are you sure you have the ECU cable in place? And the ones that go to the instrument cluster?

Anyways this is how the wiring goes and the current flow diagrams:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-612.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-810.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-710.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-1.png

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-2.png

Hope this helps. Good luck with the installation and keep us posted!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th September 2015 at 08:53.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 11:38   #605
BANNED

Quote:
the culprit was visible when the tire was turned, extracted it with great difficulty using pincer pliers (it had penetrated tangential to the tire) and patched it using 2 patches.

Just look at the size of the damn thing
When you have a very large object / nail that penetrates your tyre, patches usually do not give you adequate safety nor do they do a proper job. The tyre will be unserviceable from a safety perspective. An indication of this is when there is a need to use two patches. If you have used two patches, that area will be a weak spot on the tyre. There usually will be more frequent loss of air in that tyre too. If you intend to do long distance / high speed driving it would be better to replace the tyre / use it as the stepney.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 16:37   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

I also say... change the tyre. Or, at least, get professional advice.

Stay safe!
Old 30th September 2015, 16:53   #607
BHPian

Gannu! I feel this is the best thread to discuss anything about GT TDI 1.6 as you have mastered\observed this vehicle in every aspect than any other owner of it has done.
I have an observation on this vehicle w.r.t emission. Would be thankful to know your opinion about it (even others opinion too).

It has been a great experience for me with this powerful beast till date. My car has clocked 34k so far.
But when it was approaching second service interval few months back(app around 28k), I started noticing a strong emission smell as soon as I start the vehicle which was never observed before ( I was 100% sure ). Since then, every time I open the door\windows while the engine is ON I can clearly smell the emission which is too strong.
During my second service interval, I had complained about this to the service advisor and he claimed it is quite common for diesel vehicles and to satisfy me he turned ON a GT TDI 1.5 vehicle which was brought for service which was kept idle for a long time but unfortunately haven't noticed that strong smell from it.
Want to know if you have ever noticed this?
Note: I have a habit of wiping the dust on the car with Jopasu duster every morning when the engine is idling so, I was 100% sure about the smell which was not there before.
Is our engine also emitting such horrible emission levels??
Old 30th September 2015, 17:54   #608
Senior - BHPian

No. Your 1.6 is not the cheater engine! Your emission levels must be fine.
This smell you speak off could be incomplete combustion. Diesel is not being used up cleanly.. This could be attributed to a lot of causes. Too many to enumerate here.

I'd put my money on dirty egr valve. Or clogged injectors.
Old 1st October 2015, 12:42   #609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
If you intend to do long distance / high speed driving it would be better to replace the tyre / use it as the stepney.
I don't do high speeds during the daily drives. 80-85 kmph tops. But still this remains a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I also say... change the tyre. Or, at least, get professional advice.
Thanks guys. Will get some advice this weekend from the shop that fitted these Michelins. The owner seemed pretty knowledgable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Want to know if you have ever noticed this?
Nope. Haven't come across such a smell inside the cabin so far. Get your car rechecked at the service center and insist the SA for a longer test drive to reconfirm the issue.

Quote:
No. Your 1.6 is not the cheater engine! Your emission levels must be fine.
I am really not sure about that Frank. They say the EA189 series engines are also affected. Will wait and watch for now.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 13:45   #610
BHPian

Regarding the tyres..had a similar on my stock apollo's on the fabia.
Consulted with my local dealer and finally it went for vulcanisation and back. Costed abt 1000 rs. But looked worth it. Still I had put it as spare.
93000BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 13:46   #611
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 diesel is not the ea189 series.. ithink the 1.5 tdi is the ea189
Old 1st October 2015, 14:23   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 1.6 diesel is not the ea189 series.. ithink the 1.5 tdi is the ea189
The engine code of the 1.6L engine onboard my car is CLNA. And that falls under the EA 189 series. The 1.5L engine has the engine code CWXB. Both are affected.
Old 1st October 2015, 21:44   #613
BANNED

Quote:
I don't do high speeds during the daily drives. 80-85 kmph tops. But still this remains a concern.
Check whether the air loss is higher in this tyre. That would be the first symptom. This will happen after a week or two of running. 80-85 kph is a fast speed for the particular condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
But when it was approaching second service interval few months back(app around 28k), I started noticing a strong emission smell as soon as I start the vehicle which was never observed before ( I was 100% sure ).
That is from the cat con. Happens to some cars (VW and others too) when they are fairly new. Not a cause for concern. Will reduce on its own after more running.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:11   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Check whether the air loss is higher in this tyre. That would be the first symptom. This will happen after a week or two of running.
Will do VSS. Thanks! I am keeping an eye on this tire in the morn before starting the car and in the evening when I park her. Haven’t noticed a sag so far.

In other news, renewed the insurance for 2015-16 with Tata AIG. Paid a premium of Rs. 19,238 with an IDV of Rs. 6.1L including zero dep., RSA, key replacement, emergency transport and hotel expenses and loss of personal belongings. This is the breakup:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ins.png

The car was previously on Bajaj Allianz but their premium on the reduced IDV (6.3L) along with zero depreciation package was higher than the premium paid last year! I paid Rs. 22k last year (link) whereas they were quoting 25k this year. The service tax has also increased from 12.36% to 14% during this year’s budget. Moreover, I was unable to reduce the IDV beyond 6.3L while renewing it online. The range was preset by BA on their website’s renewal screen. Finally, the agent failed to return the call on time. Called up my service center and they had tie-ups with ICICI Lombard, Bajaj Allianz, Tata AIG and New India Assurance. Decided to go with Tata AIG and they promptly helped in getting it renewed. The policy document was mailed the next day; yet to receive the physical copy.
Old 10th October 2015, 10:20   #615
Team-BHP Support

7th October marked the car’s second anniversary!

It was on this day, 2 years back I drove her home! Hard to believe it has crossed 2 years already - time sure flies.

We performed a small puja in the morn before we drove to work. The car was cleaned thoroughly and we had arranged for all the essentials before hitting the sack that night. Some snaps:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2712.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2713.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2718.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2720.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2725.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2739.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2747.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2683.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2689.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2700.jpg

The last year’s ownership was an eventful one:
  • Opted out of the carpool to work (due to various reasons) and decided to take my car to work 6 days a week from May

• 2 repairs/replacements carried out at the service center:
    • Windshield replaced after a stone cracked it while driving on the 6-laned NH-8
    • Front-right fender repaired after a minor fender-bender with a truck

• 2 scheduled services carried out:
    • 30K service during April at Rs. 8758
    • 45k service during August at Rs. 8462

• Swapped the stock tires with Michelin Primacy 3STs

• Did a road trip to Ladakh this August

• Several modifications done

• Completed more than 30k km on the odo during the second year’s ownership

The good news is there has been absolutely no issues with the car till date. *touchwood* No rattling sounds from the plastic trims inside, no blown bulbs, fuses, relays or any other component. I just hope it stays that way. Also opted for the extended warranty for Rs. 22,776 (Rs. 19,979 + 14% service tax). Although it may not cover the electrical bits due to whatever modifications I’ve attempted, I wanted the engine, transmission and HVAC parts covered.

On the modifications front, I have ordered the Highline BCM unit from Russia (of all the places!) and it is a June 2015 manufactured unit. VCDS won't have the relevant label files for this BCM (being a new unit) but we can transfer the coding from the older unit to this one without issues. It’s a straightforward swap from what I’ve researched so far and only requires the keys to be adapted after the BCM is swapped. Let’s see how that goes. The cruise control part comes next. The necessary parts are with me.

On an emotional front, I didn’t have the slightest feeling how my life would transform thanks to my car. A few years back, all I used to do after coming home from work was to sit in front of the desktop or LCD and play games all day long! No outdoor activity, no physical exercise, no travel, no socializing - got my parents really worried at one point! Then I joined TBHP, drove a friend’s Vento when he had visited Surat and got smitten by it, bought the Polo and the rest as they say, is history.

Just to put some things in perspective:

1. What I used to preorder and eagerly wait for, until the delivery guy shows up on my doorstep:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-before.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8352.jpg

2. What I used to take offs from work for:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-before2.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-coll.jpg

3. What I used to hold in my hand:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-s40wt.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-s40xt.jpg

4. What I used to show off to my friends and colleagues:

Name:  Gannu_Prometheus.png
Views: 36571
Size:  69.8 KB

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-odo1.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th October 2015 at 10:58.
Gannu_1 is offline   (94) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks