Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 11:04   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The BCM is located in a corner above the pedals and it’s a pain to access it. Almost broke my back trying to remove it (it wouldn’t budge from its slot!). Also injured a nail in the process of removing it from the slot
Good to see you're putting in blood, toil, tears and sweat into modding your Polo. OK, I sincerely hope no tears were involved.

You're a brave man - messing about with any xCM is something I'd never dare to do (... yet).

It looks like there's strong community support for VAG cars that you have such forums to refer to. An added bonus is that since VAG is in Europe, and since we tend to get cars based on Euro variants, we can benefit a lot from such information.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 20:12   #632
BANNED

All upgrades are good in your car mate, how about adding auto folding mirrors ? nowadays they're coming in new variants of polo, so I guess its possible, waiting for your DIY for auto folding mirrors
unknown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 20:50   #633
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gannu,

Congratulations on the new DIY!

I simply (honestly) admire your energy, spirit and attitude.

I have a feeling that the error might go if the bulbs are switched to halogen. Can you not turn off the bulb error indicator through vcds?

Will wait for your update..
Chethan B G is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 23:39   #634
BHPian

Congrats gannu bhai for completing first part of the ultimate mod. Waiting for cruise control to be installed.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 23:46   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I notice a NEW design headlight switch. Can you share the details?
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 01:44   #636
BHPian

Congrats Gannu on completing 2 Years and also on upgrading the BCM!

You are really passionate about working on your Polo and your dedication always amazes me. And here I am, lazy enough to even write an ownership report for my Zest

I agree with @unknown, the auto folding mirrors are also a pretty helpful feature and I hope you can figure out a way to add them too, if you find them useful. For me, they would have added to comfort & convenience a lot if Tata had not missed on this one neat feature! Otherwise, the Zest is pretty loaded.
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:03   #637
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
7th October marked the car’s second anniversary! It was on this day, 2 years back I drove her home! Hard to believe it has crossed 2 years already - time sure flies.

We performed a small puja in the morn before we drove to work. The car was cleaned thoroughly and we had arranged for all the essentials before hitting the sack that night.
I don't know whether you are lucky to have the iconic Polo 1.6 GT TDI, or the car is lucky to have you as an owner. Congratulations! Made for each other .

Quote:
The good news is there has been absolutely no issues with the car till date.
Very happy to hear that.

Quote:
What I used to preorder and eagerly wait for, until the delivery guy shows up on my doorstep
The before & after is hilarious . Well compiled!

Quote:
The primary reason I had to upgrade the BCM was to enable cruise control support.
All of that for a (IMHO) useless-for-India feature? I have cruise control but never use it. Either ways, with a powerful diesel & an open road, cruise control isn't the way I'd drive.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:37   #638
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
You're a brave man - messing about with any xCM is something I'd never dare to do (... yet).
It’s a risk I was willing to take. I desperately wanted cruise control to be installed considering my daily drives right now. And this was the first step. It doesn’t end here - we need to open the ECU connector to insert a terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
It looks like there's strong community support for VAG cars that you have such forums to refer to. An added bonus is that since VAG is in Europe, and since we tend to get cars based on Euro variants, we can benefit a lot from such information.
Yep, that is quite true. There’s a whole lot of information scattered everywhere on the internet. Just need to search. Nowadays, I spend a lot of time digging through the Russian forums. Those guys are absolutely crazy (and equally helpful)! Installing advanced ABS modules with ESP, climatronic units, rear discs and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I have a feeling that the error might go if the bulbs are switched to halogen.
I really doubt that but will try it out this weekend regardless. When I compared the pics of both the BCMs side-by-side, the first thing that came out was the 2 new pins related to this. But there is a workaround like I said. And it’s easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Can you not turn off the bulb error indicator through vcds?
Nope. Tried several combinations Chethan but didn’t work. In fact, when I enabled one of the bits, I was getting a bulb-fused warning on the cluster:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20151025_15_08_23_pro.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I notice a NEW design headlight switch. Can you share the details?
Already shared the part number on the thread before (link).

Ali link - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/vw-la...024577706.html

Working flawlessly with the Auto module ever since. Got to hide the sensor somewhere so it doesn’t jut out from the dashboard corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
Congrats Gannu on completing 2 Years and also on upgrading the BCM!

You are really passionate about working on your Polo and your dedication always amazes me. And here I am, lazy enough to even write an ownership report for my Zest
Thanks! There are not many Zest reviews in the forum. Please pen down one if time permits. Will help prospective owners and the readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
All upgrades are good in your car mate, how about adding auto folding mirrors ? nowadays they're coming in new variants of polo, so I guess its possible, waiting for your DIY for auto folding mirrors
Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
I agree with @unknown, the auto folding mirrors are also a pretty helpful feature and I hope you can figure out a way to add them too, if you find them useful. For me, they would have added to comfort & convenience a lot if Tata had not missed on this one neat feature! Otherwise, the Zest is pretty loaded.
Guys, the auto-folding mirrors would be an expensive retrofit for just the folding and indicators! I am guessing at least Rs 25-30k. Simply changing the ORVMs will not help either. We need to change the window regulator motors as well. And a new switch plus a few wires and terminals. I might consider it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know whether you are lucky to have the iconic Polo 1.6 GT TDI, or the car is lucky to have you as an owner. Congratulations! Made for each other .
Haha I hope my wife doesn't read the last part!
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:37   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... I have cruise control but never use it. Either ways, with a powerful diesel & an open road, cruise control isn't the way I'd drive.
cruise control, mated to an auto transmission and a engine of decent power, on highways with moderate hills --- bliss for the lazy. Entertainment, too, watching how the car controls its own gear and rpm to maintain the chosen speed. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't bother either, and I'm almost certainly nowhere near as enthusiastic a driver as you are, in any country,
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 15:05   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys, the auto-folding mirrors would be an expensive retrofit for just the folding and indicators! I am guessing at least Rs 25-30k.
I found this option available with Vagtune Gannu:

Link

Personally, I would hate to see a blinker on my mirror and a side fender, which will look very 'Toyota'ish or 'Indica'ish
Referring to many taxis & cabs which have these retrofitted.

I would be interested in an electrically foldable mirror without a blinker.
Old 28th October 2015, 15:47   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7th October marked the car’s second anniversary!
Hahah congrats Gaming Mod! All the "before" pics are better than "after". Just kidding
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 12:29   #642
BHPian

Quote:

And those pins are designated as:

T73A 40 - Output signal on lamps, front right position lamp

T73A 41 - Output signal on lamps, front left position lamp
Gannu it is amazing! You have got a world of patience to do such DIYs and hats off to you buddy.
With my very limited knowledge about this BCM upgrade I am guessing, are these two pins related to Cornering lights by any chance?
keeru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 19:37   #643
BHPian

Congrats on the various miles stones gannu. I've been a keen follower of your ownership / DIY threads. Your 'before and after' series was totally fun
what an awesome transition, its evident that the car has been life changing.
and i cant but help compare your pal moorthy to 'the steadying influence of Dr.Watson'
So i have a question for you sherlock, Is it possible to flip the wiper and indicator stalks on the polo/vento so that the indicator stalk is positioned to the right of the steering wheel?

thanks!
famousshoes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 20:38   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Gannu it is amazing! You have got a world of patience to do such DIYs and hats off to you buddy.
With my very limited knowledge about this BCM upgrade I am guessing, are these two pins related to Cornering lights by any chance?
You've raised a very valid point. He must check the long coding of the electronics section if the cornering lights are activated or not.
Old 29th October 2015, 21:32   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
You've raised a very valid point. He must check the long coding of the electronics section if the cornering lights are activated or not.
These two signals are feedback signals from the right and left parking lights. MY guess is that in higher end headlight assemblies, each parking light will have a feedback signal to indicate bulb failure. This BCM has two input pins for feedback signals from the parking lights. However, the original wiring does not have these feedback signals (maybe the headlight assembly itself does not have this). So, the BCM is seeing the absence of these feedback signals as failed parking lights and hence this error.

Getting rid of this error will require fooling the BCM that the lights are healthy by providing a feedback signal. Assuming the logic level of these signals is 12V, then connecting these two signals to the respective parking light drive signal will remove the error.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks