Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:13   #706
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

I am pretty sure that by the time you reach your fifties, you will be the ultimate resource person for Volkswagens in India. Keep up the good work sir.
karuvally is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:28   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
[*]Painted brake calipers:

Attachment 1478875

I wanted to paint the brake calipers for some time now and got it done on a weekend. Spray paint used was a can of Rust-Oleum high heat spray paint in flat red shade.

Wrapped the discs with plastic sheets and the surrounding areas with old newspapers. Gave it 3 coats after a 15-20 minute gap. I wore a pair of safety goggles, gloves and a mask while preparing the calipers but the drill was getting hot (clearly the drill cannot be used for this purpose) and I had to cool it off after taking breaks! Was fun doing it though. I didn't want the rear drums to be painted so left it at that.
Thank you for this wonderful thread.

I've been wanting to do this myself. Two questions:
- I understand you wrapped the brake discs; what precautions did you take to ensure the paint doesn't get onto the brake pads? Is it advisable to remove the brake pads before painting the callipers?
- Did you finally sand the callipers? Is there any other way to do it? How about using the 3M brake cleaner to get rid of the dust & grime on it? Should that be adequate?

Last edited by bosporus : 22nd February 2016 at 19:29.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:52   #708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
I understand you wrapped the brake discs; what precautions did you take to ensure the paint doesn't get onto the brake pads?
I covered the exposed disc around the caliper tightly using the polythene wrap and taped it securely. For the exposed areas, newspapers pieces were folded and stuffed. For the bolt heads and rubber grommets, masking tape was used. Visible in this image:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1888.jpg

Quote:
Is it advisable to remove the brake pads before painting the callipers?
If you can, nothing like it but doesn't really warrant it if you can mask the unwanted areas properly. There is no need to be concerned if the paint gets into the mating surfaces between the brake pads and the discs. If anything, a spirited drive followed by hard braking will get the paint off.

Quote:
Did you finally sand the callipers?
Yes. Preparing and cleaning the calipers before painting is an absolute must. Else the paint will not stick to it and will flake off eventually or will result in a poor quality paint job.

This was how it looked before with a dull gray appearance:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-before.jpg

And this was after a 20 min preparation using the wire brush attachment on the drill + manual wire brush + 220 grit sand paper on the hard to reach areas:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-after.jpg

Quote:
Is there any other way to do it?
A good quality stiff wire brush will do the job but the drill attachment worked wonders! Easier too.

Quote:
How about using the 3M brake cleaner to get rid of the dust & grime on it? Should that be adequate?
That alone wouldn't be. The brake dust, grime and oxidation on the calipers takes some effort to be removed. I used the 3M brake cleaner to clean the calipers after the sanding part.

Ideally, a primer must be used before paint but I couldn't get hold of one so left it. A primer helps the paint to adhere to the surface properly and lasts the mile.

At work:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1882.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd February 2016 at 19:55.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:59   #709
BHPian

Great upgrades, very informative and the amount of details you've attended to like the check valve for windscreen washer are just

Puddle lamps look uber cool on your car and its something even I have been fancy-ing for a while! will eagerly wait for you DIY thread on that topic and try it out on my Micra. Probably will need some advice regarding wiring since Micra doesn't come with a footwell lamp.Probably will have to connect it to the inside reading lamps/map lights which turn on while the vehicle is unlocked?
littlebrother is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 10:25   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It’s been a while since the last update. The car has clocked 60,000 km and was serviced last week. I’ve summarized everything below including some changes and DIY work recently carried out.
As always Gannu, you are a Rockstar when it comes to subtle yet mind boggling upgrades/swaps

Personally, I think VW India must really include your thread in their R&D and see how they can provide vital and economical features in their cars. Most of the stuff you have procured are something that can be done by the German giant without breaking the roof of the OTR prices. No 2 ways about the fact that they are finally offering some modern gadgets in their cars now, but their pricing seems to be rising faster than the spread of their infamous cheat scandal.

I always wanted to paint my break callipers red as well, but the Front disk and Rear drum combo is a total eyesore for me

Have you thought of going in for a rear disk break swap anytime bro? I know its quite a costly and to an extent may be a risky affair, but I am also sure that you will have some or the other alternative source for the mortals like me to explore.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 23rd February 2016 at 10:27.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:18   #711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrother View Post
Probably will have to connect it to the inside reading lamps/map lights which turn on while the vehicle is unlocked?
Yep that’s how they are wired. From the Polo’s wiring diagram, the footwell lights are connected in parallel to the cabin lamps so I chose to do it this way for the puddle lights as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I always wanted to paint my break callipers red as well, but the Front disk and Rear drum combo is a total eyesore for me
True that. Which was why I didn’t paint the rear drums. Left it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Have you thought of going in for a rear disk break swap anytime bro? I know its quite a costly and to an extent may be a risky affair, but I am also sure that you will have some or the other alternative source for the mortals like me to explore.
Not very expensive - can be done in under 25k if you can source the parts yourself. Not in my watch list at the moment but maybe later. This is certainly doable. One of the favourite DIYs of the Russians.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:28   #712
BHPian

It's always a pleasure to read your updates Gannu! Thanks for such an informative thread.

I have been looking out for puddle lamps for quite some time and never found anything worth here in India. Will wait for your DIY on puddle lamps and see if I can get it done on my car without hampering the warranty!
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 10:35   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The next major upgrade would be the suspension. On every other weekend, there's something or the other to fiddle around with the car.
One of the finest threads to follow in this forum, especially for Polo/Vento owners!
I feel so happy that you're moving on to upgrade vital mechanical parts ( which is the real deal)!! Can't wait for you to post an update on that!
Would love to know which brand you're going with- the reasonable yet sufficient TRW's or the Bilsteins without compromising on anything?
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 10:43   #714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Would love to know which brand you're going with- the reasonable yet sufficient TRW's or the Bilsteins without compromising on anything?
The tried and tested Bilsteins. I would go with the B6 but it is known to reduce the comfort levels while improving the stability at high speeds and cornering. But honestly for my daily usage, better comfort is what I would prefer. A lot of owners overseas are happy with the B4 as well which does not compromise on the comfort and suits like an OEM replacement.

Yet to take a test drive of a Polo equipped with the B6. Would love to do it sometime before I get the stuff!
Old 24th February 2016, 17:24   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tried and tested Bilsteins. I would go with the B6 but it is known to reduce the comfort levels while improving the stability at high speeds and cornering. But honestly for my daily usage, better comfort is what I would prefer. A lot of owners overseas are happy with the B4 as well which does not compromise on the comfort and suits like an OEM replacement.

Yet to take a test drive of a Polo equipped with the B6. Would love to do it sometime before I get the stuff!
If you are not a spirited driver and cruise steadily on flat straights most of the time, don't go for the B6. And if the roads you drive on are potholed and with broken surfaces, the B6 is best avoided. It'll make the ride jiggly and somewhat uncomfortable.

On the other hand if you like fast directional changes with that feeling of control and stability or corner hard the Bilstein B6 is brilliant. Every time I drive the Polo, I miss the stiffness of the B6's I had on my Laura. But I also enjoy the supple ride on the stock shocks and since I've been using the Polo mostly on poor city roads I've put off the B6 upgrade. But now with the Laura gone, I want those Bilsteins!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 00:01   #716
BHPian

Gannu - What an awesome thread - I can read this over and over again and just keep dropping my jaw every single time !!

With a red Polo, I really want to get those calipers painted red !

Few questions

1) Will this DIY affect the warranty?
2) What happens if paint hits the discs here and there ?
3) How difficult will it be to use a paint brush to do this

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th February 2016 at 08:39. Reason: Typo.
varunraizada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 08:47   #717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
With a red Polo, I really want to get those calipers painted red !
With contrasting black alloys, this would look good. If I were you, I'd go with the yellow shade.

Some examples from the web:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-01072011054.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ferrari_458_italia_brakes_2.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ferrarif430byadv.1wheels03.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ferrarif458rednoviteccarbonfibrepackageramspeedautomotive4.jpg

Quote:
1) Will this DIY affect the warranty?
I hope you were joking!

Quote:
2) What happens if paint hits the discs here and there ?
It doesn't matter. The paint would come off when the pads press over them while braking. Best to cover the discs as much as possible to avoid it.

Quote:
3) How difficult will it be to use a paint brush to do this
Not advisable using a paint brush. The coat will not be uniform and the quality will be a lot less than a good spray can job.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 14:23   #718
BHPian

Quote:
With contrasting black alloys, this would look good. If I were you, I'd go with the yellow shade.
Shared my idea with parents and they looked at me as if I have gone crazy !!

But the yellow definitely looks much more awesome.

Is there a way that the stock alloys can be smoked to grey? Some powder coating or something?

Quote:
I hope you were joking!
To be honest, I wasn't . I've never even thought about touching anything in a car except the wiper blades before knowing about TBHP!! This would be the first time I'll try to change something so the layman type questions. Serious thought would go into "when" I'll do this ! May be it would require some selling to wife and parents
Old 27th February 2016, 22:57   #719
BHPian

Quote:
I switched from the previous auto dimming mirror sourced from Aliexpress to the OEM one used onboard the Jetta and Passat. No specific reasons - the previous mirror was working perfectly and helped during the night commutes immensely.
Gannu, any performance differences between OEM and aftermarket auto dimming you had used w.r.t auto dimming functionality?
Old 27th February 2016, 23:30   #720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Gannu, any performance differences between OEM and aftermarket auto dimming you had used w.r.t auto dimming functionality?
Not much but the notification LED of the OEM mirror is less intrusive. The former one had a very bright green LED.

Most Viewed