Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 20:41   #811
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
17k seems a bit high for a service no, even if you take the extra 3M stuff into account? Also, looks like there are two oil purchase entries in your bill. Did you buy some extra oil for emergency use later?
Excluding 3M detailing, overpriced wheel alignment + balancing at a VW ASC and brake pad replacement(an additional job), the bills comes Rs. 10,156 - (including extra Rs.970 for 1L bottle of spare oil). So otherwise a Rs.9200 for periodic scheduled service job seems fair pricing.

-Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 23:31   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
75k km/5th service update:
Does the new 1.5TDI have a different fuel filter? I just noticed that the part number is different in my car's 15k service bill. The one in mine has the part number 6RF127401A and costs approx Rs. 1700 whereas your invoice lists this one: 6RF127400A. The cost is lesser too. A little googling tells me that the CWXA, CWXB engines get the costlier one. Is it possible to use the cheaper one in the 1.5TDI? Do you have more information on this?
Old 14th July 2016, 18:36   #813
BHPian

Fuel filter: 1.5 TDI vs 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Does the new 1.5TDI have a different fuel filter? I just noticed that the part number is different in my car's 15k service bill. The one in mine has the part number 6RF127401A and costs approx Rs. 1700 whereas your invoice lists this one: 6RF127400A. The cost is lesser too. A little googling tells me that the CWXA, CWXB engines get the costlier one. Is it possible to use the cheaper one in the 1.5TDI? Do you have more information on this?
As per Etka, the 1.5 TDI seems to have a different fuel filter. 6RF127401A as you have quoted is correct for 1.5TDIs (CWXA / CWXB). The fuel lines part number are also different from 1.6TDI. There seems to be an extra seal and water in fuel sensor for the 1.5TDI engines.

1.6TDI/105PS or CLNA engines have 6RF127400A for fuel filter part number.

Source
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 19:25   #814
BHPian

Quote:

That is the coolant temperature not the engine/oil temperature. And 90 'C is the normal temperature reported.
I am sharing the problem in this video Gannu bhai. Its like Mfd alerts and shows temp automatically without even switching the mfd to temperature mode.
Old 19th July 2016, 20:42   #815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
I am sharing the problem in this video Gannu bhai. Its like Mfd alerts and shows temp automatically without even switching the mfd to temperature mode.
I am not sure but I think the airbag slip-ring inside the steering wheel is the culprit. The MFD is cycling between the various options by itself and the only connection between the steering wheel and the BCM is the slip-ring.

Go to your service centre and get it replaced.
Old 19th July 2016, 21:29   #816
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure but I think the airbag slip-ring inside the steering wheel is the culprit. The MFD is cycling between the various options by itself and the only connection between the steering wheel and the BCM is the slip-ring.

Go to your service centre and get it replaced.
No it displays the temp and then revert back to whatever was previously set such as average fuel economy or even outside temperature. IMO I THINK IT COULD BE THE COOLANT SENSOR
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:24   #817
Team-BHP Support

Another Chennai-Palakkad trip yesterday night and that brought up the 75k mark:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20160722_11_28_49_pro.jpg

Left at 9 PM and reached home at 4:30 AM. Replacing the brake pads during the last service helped immensely - realised it a couple of times during the drive.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 00:30   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine had it's first decent out-of-city run, this last weekend, since I bought it. The effect on the car is better than a service!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 06:11   #819
BANNED

Quote:
Replacing the brake pads during the last service helped immensely - realised it a couple of times during the drive.
In what way did it help? Braking effect / pedal travel does not reduce when pads are worn unless there is some other problem with the brake systems.
Old 24th July 2016, 12:37   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
In what way did it help? Braking effect / pedal travel does not reduce when pads are worn unless there is some other problem with the brake systems.
I beg to differ.. Braking effect (brake bite and even stopping distance if the pad is worn down to the backing-plate) would reduce for sure, but pedal travel won't show a difference unless the brake fluid is contaminated with air/water.

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 24th July 2016, 14:04   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Many years ago I heard that brake pads had particles in them at a level where they should be replaced. They make noise on braking. I don't know if this is general?

Letting the brakes wear down to the backing plate would not only be very dangerous, but also very expensive, as the disks are going to get damaged by steel-on-steel contact.

I don't think any of us would let that happen, but sometimes we get into a mode like I can get another three weeks... It's just penny pinching, and the last time I did it with a dying battery it cost me, in delays rather than cash, but it is still a cost. Sure: I used that battery until it's very last drop of life, but the on-the-road replacement cost me several hours of that day.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th July 2016 at 14:08.
Old 24th July 2016, 17:31   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Many years ago I heard that brake pads had particles in them at a level where they should be replaced. They make noise on braking. I don't know if this is general?

Letting the brakes wear down to the backing plate would not only be very dangerous, but also very expensive, as the disks are going to get damaged by steel-on-steel contact.

I don't think any of us would let that happen, but sometimes we get into a mode like I can get another three weeks... It's just penny pinching, and the last time I did it with a dying battery it cost me, in delays rather than cash, but it is still a cost. Sure: I used that battery until it's very last drop of life, but the on-the-road replacement cost me several hours of that day.

Amen, Sir !
Just wanted to point out that improvement in braking can certainly be felt when the brake pads are down to their last legs and one gets them replaced. Its down to the wear on the pads causing them to glaze more easily and hence reducing the friction that they generate against the discs.

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 24th July 2016, 21:09   #823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The braking distance has reduced massively. While replacing the stock pads, it had about 3-4 mm of the frictional material left. On the downside, the alloys have darkened as a result of the brake dust.

We left Palakkad around 9:30 AM and reached Chennai at 5:30 PM, after 2 tea breaks and a lunch break at A2B Thoppur. Surprisingly, the A2B outlet was nearly empty today. Completed 76k on the return trip.
Old 24th July 2016, 21:56   #824
BANNED

Quote:
The braking distance has reduced massively.
This happens because of glazing that develops on pads / discs when forceful braking is minimised (good / slow / anticipatory driving).

And although this is a good practice, the downside is the reduction in braking distances.

You will feel this happen with your current pads too after some use and it's best at that time to do some forceful braking a few times (on empty roads and after checking in your mirrors) which will remove the glazed surface on the pads / discs and get the forceful braking back again.

The car will not have reduced braking distances in any other situation unless there is a problem with your brake systems which apparently is not the case.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 22:32   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the downside is the reduction in braking distances.

reduced braking distance = good

increased braking distance = bad

I'm confused!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks