Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:17   #886
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Gannu,

I wanted to know if the RCD 330G Plus would be a direct fit in my Jan-2015 Jetta Comfortline (the car was manufactured in Oct 2014 and currently has the RCD320).

Or will I require any additional modules, cables, etc. I want to upgrade as I need:
  1. Better Bluetooth telephony experience
  2. OPS display on the stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

It won't be a direct fit.
Okay, what additional components do I require?

Quote:

You will need a female quadlock to male ISO connector. Looks like this:
Cool

Quote:

Works well.
Thanks

Quote:

Works well as indicated in the snap above.
Do I need to install an OPS or ParkPilot module or something else? My car has a total of 8 sensors (4 each front & back). With separate buzzers for the front and rear sensors. It also has a button in front of the Gear Stick to manually switch the system on/off.

Will this require Can + / Can - connections, if yes, how do I go about those?

Quote:

Won't work. So far no one has been able to figure out why the album art doesn't show up. Not a format error either. Won't be a deal breaker for sure.
Cool, not a deal breaker.

Last edited by maglev : 3rd January 2017 at 21:22.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:14   #887
BHPian

Quote:
And here I was at one point, pondering if I should have ordered the B12 kit with the Eibach lowering springs instead of the B6!

Hi Gannu,

That's a wonderfully written review for the Bilstein B6! Hope you are enjoying every bit of driving with the Bilsteins. I have a Polo GT TSI and am planning on a suspension upgrade, my uncle uses the B6 on his Polo TSI so I have experienced the B6.
What are your thoughts on the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit?

I have also ordered the RCD330G Plus for my Polo via AliExpress. Planning on a DIY install. Do you have any clue whether this supports Apple CarPlay? Whether it can be installed by a firmware update or something. I came across this on Vagtune's website and they have the CarPlay option for the same RCD330G Plus.
Here is the link http://www.vagtune.in/secure/car-typ...d035187-detail
Philip.Mathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:53   #888
BHPian

Hi Gannu,
Since we share the same cars, purchased at the same time. Whenever I think of adding something, I make sure I check your posts.
I was talking to one of the motor heads offline, who suggested that a strut upgrade is not so cool as a complete suspension upgrade, provided the car needs it. Wanted to understand your take on this, simply because your kind of research brain is something I am yet to see
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:37   #889
Team-BHP Support

Work has been keeping me very busy these days - doing nearly 14 hour shifts over the last 3 weeks! I have responded to some messages late - sorry about that.

The car is nearing the 90k mark in another 400 km and the 6th service is due in the next 100 km. This might probably be the last time I will get her serviced from the official service center. She does her fortnightly runs from Chennai to Palakkad and back every month with the occasional Madurai jaunts. The rear left tire had a puncture recently and it was patched up - the second time in the 55k km that they've been put to use.

A consignment from Russia is on its way which if it works (I'm keeping my fingers crossed; known to work with the Jetta/Laura and above variants) would prove to be very useful. Got a great deal on it so bit them only to realise there's a catch! I'll post it here once I receive it and test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Have you remapped your Polo GT TDI?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
If not, I believe that should be the very next thing you would love to do.
Not really. I guess our priorities are different. The car in its stock form is fast enough for me. Although I did contemplate doing a remap initially, I gave it a pass. I would definitely look at upgrading the brakes next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Bro. Would it be possible to share the part number or the link / contact from the place you sourced the HU?
I hope you've gone through the RCD330G+ thread. It has all the information you're looking for.

Quote:
As posted in the Rapid thread, I'm looking to upgrade to a headunit with Navigation support and this with Mirrorlink will help in a way, especially being an inexpensive unit.
There were some issues with the Rapid and this unit. Not sure if it applies to the noname variant as well which is a notch pricier than the Desay make. Please double check before buying one.

Quote:
I wonder if Skoda will be interested to sell one through its Accessories department for my Fabia.
You can bet, it would be a lot more expensive than sourcing it from Aliexpress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
In your case the light was continuously on right? The glow plug light in my GT comes on once in a blue moon. Been quite a few months since I saw the little blighter....

Drive on,
Shibu.
Shibu, have you cleaned the G31 sensor (charge air pressure sensor)? I have a hunch it is this unit which is causing the trouble after reading through various forums. Some of them became faulty over time and had to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
I used to be awake till 5:00 AM on weekends, as a bachelor. But now, with a new born baby etc, not anymore
Man, that's so sweet! Belated congratulations!

Quote:
But now you are tempting me to go on Solo midnight drives
Haha Chennai never sleeps. Its fun to do it at night though. Nearly zero traffic.

Quote:
Once you get used to the pulse of ECR, it is a pretty nice drive actually. I used to commute from Kalpakkam (near Mahabs) to Siruseri IT Park via ECR everyday to office for 4 years (That is 45 km + 45 km to and fro). Was a great drive, but yes, you need to be careful, as it is a high speed single carriage-way. But now it is almost like an express way, being a high median-ed dual carriage-way
It's been ages since I've been through ECR. Perhaps I'll plan a trip to Mahabalipuram sometime on a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Do I need to install an OPS or ParkPilot module or something else?
Nope. You have an OPS module which is already connected to the canbus. I am yet to see an 8K module which isn't canbus compatible and only offers beeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip.Mathew View Post
What are your thoughts on the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit?
The B12 kit includes a set of Eibach replacement springs along with the B6 struts. When my friend was at Germany last year, I had contemplated the B12 kit at one point (I think it was about 100 Euros more than the B6 kit) but dropped the idea since the springs lower the car's ground clearance and this might not be a good idea for me considering I do a lot of driving over a mix of good and bad roads. And the package was heavier for my friend to lug through 3 different countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip.Mathew View Post
I have also ordered the RCD330G Plus for my Polo via AliExpress. Planning on a DIY install. Do you have any clue whether this supports Apple CarPlay?
The stock unit does not but there were some links with a Chinese firmware doing rounds which supported Carplay. Now a new unit is coming up with Carplay support built in which would be a good deal if there are no glitches with the firmware. If you have an iPhone and you haven't bought the HU yet, you should wait for this unit IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelsingh View Post
I was talking to one of the motor heads offline, who suggested that a strut upgrade is not so cool as a complete suspension upgrade, provided the car needs it.
Cool or not, it boils down to the requirement and what the wallet permits. If someone has the budget, the entire stock suspension can be replaced with the aftermarket parts - struts, springs, mounts, bushes, front sway bars, rear sway bar etc. Plus, the different brands to choose from. The weakest link in the complete suspension is the struts. Change them and the difference in the ride quality is instantly noticeable.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 20:47   #890
BHPian

Quote:

The B12 kit includes a set of Eibach replacement springs along with the B6 struts. When my friend was at Germany last year, I had contemplated the B12 kit at one point (I think it was about 100 Euros more than the B6 kit) but dropped the idea since the springs lower the car's ground clearance and this might not be a good idea for me considering I do a lot of driving over a mix of good and bad roads. And the package was heavier for my friend to lug through 3 different countries.

The stock unit does not but there were some links with a Chinese firmware doing rounds which supported Carplay. Now a new unit is coming up with Carplay support built in which would be a good deal if there are no glitches with the firmware. If you have an iPhone and you haven't bought the HU yet, you should wait for this unit IMO.

I already got the Desay RCD330G Plus and I'm happy with it so far. The Chinese firmware that supports Carplay is for the 'Noname' HU and its got some bugs. Hoping for a firmware update for the Desay to support Carplay soon, though the chances for that is low is what I hear. The built in Carplay HU seems brilliant and anyone who has an iPhone and wants Carplay should definitely wait for this HU.

To my knowledge, the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit comes with B8 struts which are matched to Eibach Pro Springs that have progressive characteristics. On the Polo 1.2L TSI it would lower the front by 25mm and rear by 30mm. I have actually gone ahead with getting the B12 Pro Kit for my Polo, Part Number: 46-184467. I will post an update on the same after installation.
Philip.Mathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 14:55   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shibu, have you cleaned the G31 sensor (charge air pressure sensor)? I have a hunch it is this unit which is causing the trouble after reading through various forums. Some of them became faulty over time and had to be replaced.
I too suspect this especially since I use a K&N filter. The cleaning oil is said to create issues for the sensor. Might be a good idea to clean it anyway and see if that helps things. The problem is very infrequent now-a-days.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 18:10   #892

Hello Gannu!

Hope you're doing well!
I have a few questions to ask and I cant PM because I am still in the 'newbie' status and it throws up an error every time I try to send a message you.
Please let me know if you are fine with sharing your email ID so that we can chat further.
Thanks so much!
Old 26th January 2017, 18:18   #893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepravi View Post
Hello Gannu!

Hope you're doing well!
I have a few questions to ask and I cant PM because I am still in the 'newbie' status and it throws up an error every time I try to send a message you.
Please let me know if you are fine with sharing your email ID so that we can chat further.
Thanks so much!
Why not ask here on the thread itself? Others can also benefit or reply to your questions.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 18:35   #894

Okay cool, so, I have picked up a pre-worshipped VW Polo 1.6 MPI Highline. I wanted to upgrade the steering wheel to the current gen MK 7 steering wheel. And for that, I figured that the BCM needs to be upgraded as well because otherwise, the backlighting will not work.
To be honest, I am not really a DIY person. I am scared of getting into it only for the fear of messing it up. Being in Bangalore, I am not too sure who could help me in installing this, I approached Vagtune and they don't do just installs unless I buy the product from them. And they charge a sizeable premium when compared to sites like Ebay.
Gannu, is there a way you could help me in doing this? Because, I really don't know who else I can approach to get this done.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 26th January 2017, 21:37   #895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I too suspect this especially since I use a K&N filter. The cleaning oil is said to create issues for the sensor. Might be a good idea to clean it anyway and see if that helps things. The problem is very infrequent now-a-days.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Shibu, I'm talking of the boost pressure sensor which is located behind the front bumper not the MAF sensor. Folks have reported this sensor to go bad too. Cleaning it might help. I haven't faced this issue in a while.

Quote:
Being in Bangalore, I am not too sure who could help me in installing this,
I suggest you take it to a Bosch service centre. The technicians who do electrical jobs are quite well trained AFAIK.

Get the BCM, and do the swap at the garage as I've indicated in the DIY thread. Get the steering and swap it next - this will be easy for them. Before you upgrade the steering, does the stock steering have any media controls at all? Or is it completely devoid of any controls? Asking this because, if your current steering doesn't have any media controls, you will have to run additional linbus cables from the stalks T41 connector.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 22:49   #896

Quote:
Asking this because, if your current steering doesn't have any media controls, you will have to run additional linbus cables from the stalks T41 connector.
Yes, the current stalk steering does not have any media controls. Now, how do I procure the additional cables required to make it work?
Please guide me!
Old 10th February 2017, 11:06   #897
BHPian

Hi, Gannu
Need your advice on an issue. I want to install folding side view mirror on my polo which comes with the adjustable and non foldable side view mirrors.
The vw chandigarh has told me that it would cost Rs. 8000 per mirror.
Please let me know if I need anything else apart from changing the folding mirror switch.
Old 16th February 2017, 06:28   #898
Team-BHP Support

Crossed 90k km en route to Palakkad last weekend and 91k during the return trip:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20170212_205935.jpg

Got the 6th scheduled service done from Sundaram VW, Chennai last week and was charged Rs. 11,102. Here's the copy of the bill:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-90k-service-bill.jpg

Had a very pleasant experience with the service this time. We fixed an appointment a day before and were asked to drop the car at 8:30 AM. Reached there promptly at 8:30 AM and handed over the keys to Mr. Venkatesh, the same SA who had attended to us during the last scheduled service. While preparing the job card, I handed over a piece of paper to him in which I had scribbled down what all had to be done and what not (included all those unwanted jobs like AC disinfectant spray, brake cleaning, door lock lube, coating the battery's ground terminal etc). He assured that he would do the needful and the car would be delivered the next day.

The next day, we got a call before noon and we left for the service center after lunch. The car was ready after a wash and wipe. Made the payment using credit card, signed the papers and drove back. Overall a very good experience. I just hate it when the service center takes owners for granted and does all the unwanted jobs slapping them with a hefty bill. While we arrived to take the delivery of the car, we noticed a disgruntled owner arguing with another SA over a long bill!

And so, that's perhaps the last time my car will see a VW service center for the scheduled services (extended warranty expires after 1L km). I'll source the parts and do it myself from the next time. Looking forward to switch the engine oil to Liqui Moly or Mobil Delvac 1. Have heard good things about them.

Had casually popped up the hood and noticed that the engine bay was detailed as well! Good to see the bay shining like this once in a while:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-engine-bay.jpg

Other than these Chennai - Palakkad and Chennai - Madurai commutes, it's been ages since I've driven to some new place! Pondicherry and Yercaud were the last two new destinations we touched. This October, we've decided to take 10 days off and drive to some new places. Work has been too damn hectic!

Quote:
Yes, the current stalk steering does not have any media controls. Now, how do I procure the additional cables required to make it work?
Please guide me!
Explained in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Hi, Gannu
Need your advice on an issue. I want to install folding side view mirror on my polo which comes with the adjustable and non foldable side view mirrors.
The vw chandigarh has told me that it would cost Rs. 8000 per mirror.
Please let me know if I need anything else apart from changing the folding mirror switch.
AFAIK the window regulator motors also have to replaced. Best to switch to the mirror kit sold by Aliexpress (e.g.); they can be used with the stock window regulators. The mirror assembly costs less than 6k from a bill someone had uploaded on TBHP for the repairs.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 06:52   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the copy of the bill:
What does item no.3(Front both strud L) under labor mean?? Also there is a long list of pending and recommended items, are they really on their last legs?? Or is this a psychological trick to plant a thought in customer's head?

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 23:02   #900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What does item no.3(Front both strud L) under labor mean??
There was a creaking noise when the steering was rotated which started after some 85k km. Turns out the strut mounting bearings were running dry and the Bosch service center (from where I had swapped out the stock struts for the Bilsteins) failed to lubricate the strut bearings. The SA was quick to identify the cause and advised lubricating the strut bearings. This labour charge is attributed to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Also there is a long list of pending and recommended items, are they really on their last legs?? Or is this a psychological trick to plant a thought in customer's head?
- The battery is weak because it takes a bit longer than usual to crank and start the car (especially on those 2-day off weekends when the car is lying idle). I'll have the voltages checked this weekend. Will report back.

- No humming noise during regular driving so I presume the wheel bearings are fine.

- The clutch is also healthy since it doesn't slip unusually in the city's slow moving traffic.

- Belts and pulleys - I am not sure since one cannot say until it gives up! The usual practice is to replace it at recommended intervals. As per this service booklet info, it used to be at 210k km. A newer one says 90k km. I'll get it renewed at the 105k or 120k km servicing.

- Steering rack - Zero issues! No noise while turning the wheel and works just as it did when the car was new.

- Rear wiper - works well and the blade is not brittle as yet. No cracks visible on it. Will replace it when it is due.

- Engine oil sump cover - was torn when the car went over a bad patch during a return trip from Yercaud. Documented it here. Not going to touch it since its expensive at some 7k odd as conveyed by the SA. I'd rather have a sump guard fabricated out of Aluminium with that kind of pricing!

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! The other good thing is, they didn't do the software update to the ECU to resolve the emissions issue. So the monstrous pickup from the stop and the acceleration continues.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th February 2017 at 23:06.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks