Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 12:36   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: [To be merged with my ownership thread] Updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Have you stuck another one? These guys shouldn’t have given the instructions there. Otherwise that would have served as a nice scratch guard.
Even if you remove that sticker, there is another protective sticker on the screen. Observe the right top corner carefully. I have retained that sticker, though I don't know how long it will last it as does not look as tough as screen guards that we use on phones.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:38   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Even if you remove that sticker, there is another protective sticker on the screen. Observe the right top corner carefully.
Yeah I noticed that. Can we peel that small sticker separately without leaving the adhesive marks on the base sticker? I did try removing that but the smaller one refused to come so left it there. Shall try it out today.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:47   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that. Can we peel that small sticker separately without leaving the adhesive marks on the base sticker? I did try removing that but the smaller one refused to come so left it there. Shall try it out today.
Yeah the small sticker came off very easily in my case and it did not leave any adhesive marks either.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 21:21   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Yeah the small sticker came off very easily in my case and it did not leave any adhesive marks either.
Yep that was easy!

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140107_21_21_32_pro.jpg

I was worried if it would leave any adhesive marks on the base scratch guard but it didn't! Bah, I should have taken it off immediately after the installation and clicked those snaps!

Many thanks for the tip Bhat Sir!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 21:55   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The VW Polo GT TDI - Initial Ownership Review *Update* 3450Kms and head unit upgr

Congrats Gannu on the upgrade of the system. Even I checked it out for my Skoda Laura in place of the Caska system I have. But I found the GUI interface only as good as the Caska. It had lag and touch wasn't intuitive. Only saving grace over Caska was the Blaupunkt brand name (both are made in China though). Even the sound quality is the same as the Caska system with stock speakers.

But for 43K it sure is a good deal as it plays DVD's, integrates with reverse camera/sensor etc apart from the usual features.

Last edited by robimahanta : 7th January 2014 at 21:57.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:45   #111
BHPian

Re: The VW Polo GT TDI - Initial Ownership Review *Update* 3450Kms and head unit upgr

Awesome thread Gannu. It was your thread and the Official Review by GTO that made my heart sway from the Italian Beauty Punto Emotion 90 HP to the German Marvel Polo GT TDi. Thanks a lot and really appreciate the effort.

Couple of questions:
1. I just got the Infinity Kappa front component/rear coaxial/amplifier delivered. I play my music from the Cowon C2 player via the Aux-In. Does it really justify spending 43k for the new HU when I've an upgraded speakers and the source is via Aux-In ?

2. What's the initial mileage you got during the run-in period. Mine gave a 15.6 figure during the recent Bengaluru-Nanjangudu-Talakaadu-Mysooru trip. The odo reads at 550 now.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:16   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Couple of questions:
1. I just got the Infinity Kappa front component/rear coaxial/amplifier delivered. I play my music from the Cowon C2 player via the Aux-In. Does it really justify spending 43k for the new HU when I've an upgraded speakers and the source is via Aux-In ?

2. What's the initial mileage you got during the run-in period. Mine gave a 15.6 figure during the recent Bengaluru-Nanjangudu-Talakaadu-Mysooru trip. The odo reads at 550 now.
1. Depends if you really need those additional features on the HU. Do you need a HU that can play DVDs? (I Better sound quality? Reverse assist display without the need for another screen somewhere on the dash/windscreen? Sync. with smartphones over Bluetooth for calls and music playback? GPS navigation? This system definitely has a better DAC than the stock HU - that's for sure.

If those don't bother you, the aux-in from the Cowon PMP should just be fine.

2. Around 15-17 kmpl on the MFD when the car was driven within the city limits. The figure improved once I drove to Ahmedabad when she gave around 22 kmpl on a 4-lane expressway averaging 90-100 kmph. With stop-n-go traffic, mileage takes a hit. But when you are in good roads, it improves.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:15   #113
BHPian

re: The VW Polo GT TDI - Update @ 3500 kms & new head-unit, sharkfin antenna installed!

Thanks for the answers. I'll be getting the 835 fixed this Friday. Any idea what can be done with the old HU ?
Old 15th January 2014, 14:19   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The VW Polo GT TDI - Update @ 3500 kms & new head-unit, sharkfin antenna installed!

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I'll be getting the 835 fixed this Friday. Any idea what can be done with the old HU ?
You can use it on another VW / Skoda car in the family / gift it to someone / put it up on classifieds on t-bhp itself.
Old 18th January 2014, 12:40   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apologies for the late response. I was hospitalised since last Tuesday on account of a bad viral fever due to a liver infection/enlargement. Got discharged today early morn and all's well right now.

As for the old HU, I suggest you do not sell it right away and keep it with you safely instead. In the event you decide to sell your car later on, you can swap the 835 with the older unit. In all probability, the 835 may not fetch your car a better resale value so it is always better to sell it with the stock unit instead and may be sell the 835 separately in case you do not intend to use this HU on your new car. Guaranteed to fetch you a better resale value unless the second owner is willing to pay you for the additional investment you had put in, IMHO. So do give it a thought.

The RCD320 is currently being sold on OLX and other portals for about Rs. 10k per unit. Just in case.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 17:07   #116
BHPian

Really great thread gannu.
Enjoyed your in-depth review and am loving your upgrades!

I have a '11 Polo TL Petrol. Plan to get the OBD scanner and the shark fin antenna kit for my car as well.
e-katz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 17:04   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
am loving your upgrades!
Haha these can barely be called upgrades if you have seen what robi's GT TSI has been through. Do have a look at this ownership log.

Received the OEM sharkfin antenna and the toll-ticket holders earlier this week.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140128_19_59_17_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140128_20_00_45_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140128_20_01_25_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140128_20_03_37_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140128_20_04_20_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140129_07_42_47_pro.jpg

Yet to install the antenna. Shall do so this weekend. Hopefully, the stock antenna's FAKRA jack wouldn't be an issue! I don’t think it would be because this was marketed as the replacement for the Jetta’s whip antenna.

Amazon link for the toll-ticket holder - Link

I believe all the Skoda cars (recent versions?) come with these nifty ticket holders including the Fabia. On expressway commutes, this piece of plastic is such a blessing. We need not flash the ticket every time to the toll guys. Wonder why VW skipped out this one. Hardly costs some Rs. 2-3 to manufacture?
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 16:33   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Haha these can barely be called upgrades if you have seen what robi's GT TSI has been through. Do have a look at this ownership log.
You bet! Robi is in a different league altogether.
Old 1st February 2014, 20:54   #119
Team-BHP Support

Installed the sharkfin antenna!

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_5120.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_5121.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_5123.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_5125.jpg

This is an easy DIY job and takes barely 10 minutes to swap the stock antenna. All it takes is to pry open 2 plastic trims using a prying tool (preferably, instead of a screw driver which may leave marks or maybe a fine knife covered with masking tape?) - the one on the rear of the headliner after the boot door is opened and one of the C-pillar trims. Then, lower the headliner a bit and disconnect the FAKRA connector from the jack. Unscrew the nut of the stock antenna base using a spanner/wrench and remove the base. Insert the sharkfin antenna base in the slot (it's a straight fit in one direction because the hole is square'ish and not circular and thus, the antenna base wouldn't rotate). Screw the nut, replace the FAKRA connector and connect it with the jack. Replace the C-pillar trim and let all the locks fall in place with a 'click' sound. Replace the top trim adjacent to the headliner. We're done.

The most important thing here is we are required to replace the FAKRA connector provided on the sharkfin antenna with another one (part number: 6Q0035575K) so that it mates with the FAKRA jack provided in the car properly. So no splicing/cutting of wires are required. Luckily, this had come with the package when I had ordered it from ECS Tuning. This is the one:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-19077_x800.jpg

This is the link of the antenna I had purchased, in case anyone's interested: ECS Tuning

The steps have been laid out here - Volkswagen Workshop Manuals - Polo Mk5

But the manual insists on removing both the C-pillar trims whereas removing only one of them is sufficient to get the job done.

In the meantime, look at the base of the stock antenna:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_5132.jpg

Looks like corrosion?!

If you have any queries on this antenna replacement, do let me know! Would be glad to help.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 21:49   #120
BHPian

Wow! The shark fin antenna looks amazing. Especially on a black car like yours. I do have a few queries on the antenna (going to do a DIY on Vento). The manual you have provided is kind of complex, so, could you give an explanation and is the unit available in colour because it wouldn't suit my grey car, that plastic unit.
thebfg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks