Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 18:42   #211
BANNED

I'm so excited to see the grill on. I have something similar in mind. either re badge to GTI in the back to match the GTI front grill or do what you have in mind. I think that will look cooler. didn't know the GTI logo could be removed to install the stock GT logo. That'll stay more true to the car. please put the pics fast.... :-) also kindly pm me price and link to source.

cheers.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 19:04   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Topped up the engine oil yesterday. Checked the dipstick for the oil level and it was at B:

Attachment 1257603
Midaway between Max and Min looks to me like Exactly Right!

No need to have topped up.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:50   #213
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Midaway between Max and Min looks to me like Exactly Right!

No need to have topped up.
Well this is what the manual has to say:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-ol1.png

Name:  OL2.PNG
Views: 7532
Size:  13.5 KB

I topped up around 350 mL. Even my car pool partners felt an improvement in the smoothness of the ride today. And I did not mention that the oil was added.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 18:16   #214
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

W.r.t. the driver tire losing pressure gradually, this guy was responsible for it:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140705_13_43_55_pro.jpg

Removed it and plugged the hole. BHPian KarthikK's Punto has taken 25 hits on his Accelere tires during the course of his ownership. No clue how many more is in store for me.

Installed the GTI grill yesterday. Removing the stock grill was a bit painful but the VW workshop manual link helped - Removing and installing radiator grille

Had to swap the VW logo from the stock grill to the new one and even this was hard! I had no clue how to pry out the logo. Referred the manual and it helped - Removing and installing emblem

I did not want the GTI logo so decided to swap it with the stock GT one but the GT logo was held in place by a piece of plastic and not screws/nuts. Removed the logo and figured out that it would not fit the GTI grill as the honeycomb structure would come in its way. So decided not to mess with the logo, sticking it using Fevikwik or some epoxy adhesive and screwing the whole grill in the process. Decided to leave the grill as it is thus. With the black shade of the car, the red stripes on the top and bottom of the grill blends well.

Here are some snaps we took yesterday:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8627.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8658.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8664.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8668.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8672.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8676.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8680.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8684.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-gradient.jpg

That’s all for now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th July 2014 at 18:36. Reason: Added the tire puncture snap
Gannu_1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 21:04   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Nice it looks - the GTI grill.
And kudos to you for doing most of these fittings yourself.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 21:13   #216
Team-BHP Support

Fixed the 1 kg DCP fire extinguisher below the co-driver seat using velcro straps - easily removable (God forbid!) in the event of an emergency.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140705_20_56_20_pro.jpg

A list of the changes done so far:
  • OEM arm rest
  • OEM sharkfin aerial
  • OEM cabin light with map lights (stock bulbs replaced with LEDs)
  • OEM footwell lights (stock bulbs replaced with red W5W LEDs)
  • OEM headlight switch with chrome knob
  • OEM glovebox light
  • OEM Euro-spec tail lights
  • OEM GTI front grill (replaced GTI logo with stock GT logo)
  • Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU
  • Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited 60/55 headlamp bulbs
  • Gas strut operated hood lift
  • Energizer Hard Case LED cabin light for boot compartment
  • Toll ticket holder
  • Error free W5W LEDs for the number plate lights
  • 1 kg DCP fire extinguisher (secured under front passenger seat)

Planned upgrades:
  • OEM GTI maxidot cluster upgrade (W.I.P.)
  • LED puddle lamps under ORVMs
  • Custom skid plate using Aluminium chequered plate
  • Replace rear seat head restraints to the inverted L-type (OEM if the service center retails these else get the stock ones modified from the upholstery shop)
  • Upholstery change
  • Blacken the beige glove box and trim below steering wheel (from ColorGlo, Ernakulam)
  • 2014 model multi-function steering wheel (if the service center is willing to do the swap)
  • ECU remap (after second service)
  • 205/55R15 tires (after the proposed Leh trip next year)
  • Bilstein B6 shocks with stock coil springs (after the proposed Leh trip next year)
Old 8th July 2014, 22:19   #217
Team-BHP Support

Damn these VW buggers! They have cut costs on every other component.

See how the roof grab handles of the Polo retract:

Friend was holding onto this and he was leaving them frequently. For a moment, I was wondering where the *thud thud* noise was coming from!

This is how they do on most cars. Video clicked from friend's XUV5OO:

Reason? They lack these tiny dampers which slows down the sprung back movement:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_7014.jpg

Turns out, this Made for India! The European ones have them apparently.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 14:38   #218
BHPian

Congratz on the new mods Gannu! That's one hell of a ride.
I just wanted to suggest some thing to you.
I am assuming you opted not to put the GTI badge on the grill considering its a diesel car right.?
Well why don't you just source a "GTD" badge of the Golf GTD instead. I don't think just leaving it blank like that does justice to your car especially since nowadays every other polo sold comes specced with this grill right from the showroom. I bet nobody has ever put a GTD badge on the polo before.
Besides it drives me mad everytime I see a diesel polo with a gti grill.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:52   #219
Team-BHP Support

Nakula, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I am assuming you opted not to put the GTI badge on the grill considering its a diesel car right.?

Well why don't you just source a "GTD" badge of the Golf GTD instead.
The issue with the GTI and GTD logo is the font which is not to my taste. I prefer the GT, GLI logos instead. See the difference:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-gti.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-gtd.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-gli.jpg

Another issue being, these logos aren’t secured onto the honeycomb grill with screws/nuts. They are mere plastic tabs which would come off if you try pulling them. On the contrary, the GT logo on our stock grilles are stuck onto the chrome slat using some special adhesive. It refused to come off when I tried pulling it off the first time. I’ll work out something.
Old 11th July 2014, 08:20   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not want the GTI logo so decided to swap it with the stock GT one but the GT logo was held in place by a piece of plastic and not screws/nuts.
Lovely buy and looks great! I love the grille but cannot relate to the GTI badge on our Polo. Now, please find a way to fix 'GT' on that grille. Ideally on the left side, but only if you can remove the fixture for GTI on the right. It looks a bit odd.

Quote:
See how the roof grab handles of the Polo retract:
That's a surprise. The Swift has them, the damped ones. And I pull it from time to time for viewing pleasure.

Have fun!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
From the pics earlier in the thread, he has indeed managed to remove the GTI logo on the right but he is unable to find a way to put the GT badge back on.
Yes, saw that. Was just commending Gannu on that. I am also from the same boat

Last edited by deetjohn : 11th July 2014 at 08:33. Reason: adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 08:24   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Lovely buy and looks great! I love the grille but cannot relate to the GTI badge on our Polo. Now, please find a way to fix 'GT' on that grille. Ideally on the left side, but only if you can remove the fixture for GTI on the right. It looks a bit odd.
From the pics earlier in the thread, he has indeed managed to remove the GTI logo on the right but he is unable to find a way to put the GT badge back on.

@Gannu: you sir have an amazing detailed log of the VW GT TDI. Makes one aspire to own the car and make the subtle but functional mods that you have undertaken. Though late, it took quite a while to go thru your entire thread before commenting. So here is wishing you a lot many happy miles with your GT TDI!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 08:56   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That's a surprise. The Swift has them, the damped ones.
Even our 2010 Swift Dzire has it! I was shocked to notice such an omission. It would have been fine if it retracted fast and never made that noise when the handle hit the head liner but the noise is annoying every time someone leaves it. I am working on something. Let’s see how that goes. Ditto for the logo.

Btw Deepak, I have a long trip coming up this September; we’ll be driving down to Palakkad from Surat. 1685 km spanning 2 days with a halt somewhere at Hubli if all goes well as we’ve planned. I will be heading to Pete’s garage the next day so let’s meet up somewhere at Ernakulam in case you guys are free. Tentative date - 11th September. I shall ping you at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
So here is wishing you a lot many happy miles with your GT TDI!
Thank you Abhinav.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:09   #223

This is one of my favorite threads in team-bhp. It is unique that most of the mods are done by the owner himself.
Gannu, you are a very systematic person. I love the way you plan everything beforehand, execute it well, and the way you present it so that anyone can understand.
I really appreciate the effort you are putting in behind that.
bobby74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:08   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, where did you buy the honeycomb grill from? And price? I may go for it if it does not cost too much.
Old 13th July 2014, 20:48   #225
Team-BHP Support

Removed the cluster.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140713_20_09_47_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140713_20_11_12_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140713_20_13_52_pro.jpg

Removing the cluster was extremely simple. The trim above the steering column simply pries open by pulling it from the slot where the stalks protrude out on either side. Then, the trim below the cluster comes off by merely pulling it. There are 2 torx screws there on. Unscrew them and there's a blue connector with a pink lock. Take it off and we're done.

Awaiting the new cluster now.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed