Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 21:04   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Removed the cluster.
Awaiting the new cluster now.
Hey Gannu,
I been watching all your upgrades/updates on your car.
Just love your style and passion.

I have a small question regarding the console swap.
My Friend has a ford figo EXI -> (the one without a tacho) we wanted to buy the console of the ZXI and fit it to his car but the ford .A.S.S tech told us not to do so as the immobilizer is linked to the console!
And if we do this the car will not start without the original console.

I had a feeling this this guy was he feeding us B.S and didn't know 2 hoots about what he was talking about.
But just to be safer we didn't go-ahead with this.
Old 13th July 2014, 21:16   #227
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
we wanted to buy the console of the ZXI and fit it to his car but the ford .A.S.S tech told us not to do so as the immobilizer is linked to the console!

And if we do this the car will not start without the original console.
Actually the technician is right.

The cluster cannot be swapped without reprogramming/coding the keys with the new cluster. This part has to be done either by the service center or someone who has the right equipment to do this.

If the car has an immobiliser based security system, the key(s) of the car is linked with the instrument cluster (and the ECU) such that when the key is inserted into the slot and turned to start the engine, a microchip inside the key gets activated by an electromagnetic field, generating a binary code which in turn is sent back to the immobliser/ECU. If the ECU recognises this signal, it starts the fuel-injection sequence. Else the car will simply not start! This is how vehicle theft is prevented if someone simply duplicates a key and tries to start the engine.

Even basic spare keys have this microchip. Here is a video showing the chip from VW's spare key:

Most would assume that this is just another key.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 21:20   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Planned upgrades:
  • OEM GTI maxidot cluster upgrade (W.I.P.)
  • LED puddle lamps under ORVMs
  • Custom skid plate using Aluminium chequered plate
  • Replace rear seat head restraints to the inverted L-type (OEM if the service center retails these else get the stock ones modified from the upholstery shop)
  • Upholstery change
  • Blacken the beige glove box and trim below steering wheel (from ColorGlo, Ernakulam)
  • 2014 model multi-function steering wheel (if the service center is willing to do the swap)
  • ECU remap (after second service)
  • 205/55R15 tires (after the proposed Leh trip next year)
  • Bilstein B6 shocks with stock coil springs (after the proposed Leh trip next year)
Hey Gannu,

If possible try getting the OEM Xenon Headlamp set as well. Would go well with your ride.

A video I saw on youtube of someone who's done something similar but with a GTI steering wheel and paddle shifts along with the instrument cluster -

Last edited by funkydevil : 13th July 2014 at 21:23.
funkydevil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:59   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey Gannu,

If possible try getting the OEM Xenon Headlamp set as well. Would go well with your ride.

A video I saw on Youtube of someone who's done something similar but with a GTI steering wheel and paddle shifts along with the instrument cluster -
This is Robi's GT TSi, one of the best looking(and the fastest) Polos around
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-baby-tsi.html
Old 16th July 2014, 13:23   #230
BHPian

Gannu, why are postponing the tyre change until after the trip. Any specific reasons for that ? I recently saw an i20 fitted with a Nankang 205/45/R17. Do you think it would be better than the R15 ? I'm planning to go for the Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15 in August 1st week. So wanted your opinion before I get it done on my GT.
Old 16th July 2014, 13:57   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Gannu, why are postponing the tyre change until after the trip. Any specific reasons for that ? I recently saw an i20 fitted with a Nankang 205/45/R17. Do you think it would be better than the R15 ? I'm planning to go for the Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15 in August 1st week. So wanted your opinion before I get it done on my GT.
Dev, I should have swapped the tires when I got the delivery but skipped it thinking it can be done at a later stage. The reason I’ve mentioned that I will do so after the Leh trip is because the tires I have in mind are the slightly wider ones - 205/55 R15 not 195/60 R15. Suspecting this may have an impact on the trip, I chose to get it done later on. The current Aceleres have been decent so far but tire/road noise is evident. The Michelin P3STs have an excellent feedback from Polo/Vento users with regard to the ride comfort and reduced road noise and so does the Continental CPC2. Even the MRF Z Lo have a good feedback and they are supposedly cheaper compared to the Michelins/Continental. Wider tires would result in a reduced fuel efficiency as well so please keep that in mind.
Old 16th July 2014, 14:28   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Dev, I should have swapped the tires when I got the delivery but skipped it thinking it can be done at a later stage. The reason I’ve mentioned that I will do so after the Leh trip is because the tires I have in mind are the slightly wider ones - 205/55 R15 not 195/60 R15. Suspecting this may have an impact on the trip, I chose to get it done later on. The current Aceleres have been decent so far but tire/road noise is evident. The Michelin P3STs have an excellent feedback from Polo/Vento users with regard to the ride comfort and reduced road noise and so does the Continental CPC2. Even the MRF Z Lo have a good feedback and they are supposedly cheaper compared to the Michelins/Continental. Wider tires would result in a reduced fuel efficiency as well so please keep that in mind.
Will the wider tyres fit on the current rims ? I believe now we'll get peanuts for the old tyres. I still am not decided over the 195 vs 205 yet.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:39   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will the wider tyres fit on the current rims ?
Yes they would. The extra width is quickly noticeable and equally so with the 195 profile tires as well.

Quote:
I believe now we'll get peanuts for the old tyres.
Absolutely.
Old 17th July 2014, 07:19   #234

First off, I just wanted to say this is easily my most viewed thread on the entire internets, and I have been following it since the first time we considered buying a Polo way back in January. Great review Gannu, and I love the detail and regularity of your upgrades.

I'm happy to say that I'm now finally the owner of my own GT TDI. This was apparently the last piece they had in Bangalore in black (didn't even consider the other colours) so I consider myself lucky . I considered waiting for the new GT TDI to arrive in September, but I feared it would exclusively be a DSG gearbox and I prefer a manual gearbox. Even now after seeing the new facelift I don't regret my decision.

I'm really happy with the car overall, but there are a few things that are missed. But your thread has shown my that there's nothing that can't be fixed. I've handpicked a few upgrades from your list to iron these out. I wanted to install a pair of tweeters without changing the stock HU but I might be forced to change the HU as well eventually because of bluetooth problem with my iPhone. I couldn't figure out why the audio randomly plays and doesn't play sometimes, but I think I finally found an answer here which is somewhat disappointing.

I'll be looking forward to your console upgrade, which was something I'd considered before even I got the car (it bugs my OCD that there's no coolant temperature readout, and I would have preferred analogue fuel readout as well), but I'll probably give it some time on that one. I'm curious, does installing a console reset the odo? I remember that being the case with a friend's bike but I'm not sure if there isn't a workaround if it does reset. That would completely put me off changing it.
Hermód is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 10:10   #235
BANNED

Quote:
Nakula, thank you!

The issue with the GTI and GTD logo is the font which is not to my taste. I prefer the GT, GLI logos instead. See the difference:

Attachment 1259648

Attachment 1259649

Attachment 1259650

Another issue being, these logos aren’t secured onto the honeycomb grill with screws/nuts. They are mere plastic tabs which would come off if you try pulling them. On the contrary, the GT logo on our stock grilles are stuck onto the chrome slat using some special adhesive. It refused to come off when I tried pulling it off the first time. I’ll work out something.
Gannu, my friend i must say you a Master. man, reading the detailed DIY threads of yours brings out the hidden inner engineer out me and make me want to DIY things myself.... but i hope i don't end up destroying more things than i build

anyhow i agree with the font. i personally like the font on our GTs over the GTI font. I also recently got the GTI grill and for now i have removed the I to make it just GT in the front. But that leaves a blank spot which also looks weird. This is bothering me and i have not been able to think of a solution.

My back says GT TSI. I'm somehow just not comfortable debadging GT TSI and put in a GTI on the back. I feel the GT in the front and GT TSI in the back and in your case GT TDI is more true to the car and looks more subtle and stylish. Although i can see why some people may want to match the front GTI with a GTI in the back for aesthetic and uniformity reasons. and no doubt it looks cool too. but i want to preferably stay with just the GT tag.

So have you figured out a solution for this ? I'm thinking if you cant get the GT badge off of the OEM grill then maybe we can order just the GT part from VW. I sure VW india has spares of those for GT owners. Then you can remove the GTI from the grill and put in GT in between of the plastic patch. That way there would be no empty patch on the right of the GT.

Or a better idea how about sticking the GT in the center of the plastic patch ? now you'll have just a bit of plastic jutting out on both sides. cool ? additionally maybe chop off the left and right side ?

or maybe order this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Lupo-GT...item4d104c5243

will this slot into the honey comb grill ?

think over this buddy, give me some ideas. let me know what we can do here.

Cheers.
Old 17th July 2014, 10:42   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermód View Post
First off, I just wanted to say this is easily my most viewed thread on the entire internets, and I have been following it since the first time we considered buying a Polo way back in January. Great review Gannu, and I love the detail and regularity of your upgrades.
Welcome aboard Hermód! Don’t forget to post an intro thread in the Introduction section and most importantly, don’t forget to glance through the rules.

Quote:
I'm happy to say that I'm now finally the owner of my own GT TDI.
Many congratulations on your new acquisition. Now that the monsoons have started, take her out for a spin.

Quote:
I wanted to install a pair of tweeters without changing the stock HU but I might be forced to change the HU as well eventually because of bluetooth problem with my iPhone. I couldn't figure out why the audio randomly plays and doesn't play sometimes, but I think I finally found an answer
I have been told there are issues with the bluetooth pairing with the stock HU. IIRC I did not face any issues pairing my Lumia 920 to the unit but then again I preferred an SD card/pen drive as the source so I rarely used my phone as the source. If you intend to change your stock HU, get yourself an RCD 510 unit and the 9W7 Bluetooth module (plus the mic and the cabin light with the mic slot) so you can seamless integrate your iPhone and have voice commands activated via VCDS. With the RCD 510 unit, you may not get navigation and trust me, that’s fine since you would rely on your phone’s GPS application 9 out of 10 times compared to the HU navigation.

You can install the tweeters on the door sail panels and most tweeters come with a wide variety of plastic enclosures for customizing the mount; flush mount/surface mount etc. Our audio gurus on the forum will gladly help you out on this. On the Polo sold abroad, the tweeters are neatly integrated inside the A-pillar at the bottom just like the Jetta:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-4fe98965f2b88.png

You can also have them installed on the door sail panels:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_2701.jpg

(Source: Link)

Before finalizing on the components, do audition them at the dealer’s outlet. Being in Bangalore, you have plenty of options and aftermarket installers. Do search the forum.

Quote:
it bugs my OCD that there's no coolant temperature readout, and I would have preferred analogue fuel readout as well
Tell me about it! Our good ol’ Swift Dzire back home has both. Heck, my colleague’s Maruti 800 has both.

Quote:
I'm curious, does installing a console reset the odo? I remember that being the case with a friend's bike but I'm not sure if there isn't a workaround if it does reset. That would completely put me off changing it.
You can program the new/used cluster with the current odo reading. That isn’t a concern. Lack of the glow plug warning symbol on the GTI cluster is one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
So have you figured out a solution for this ?
Not yet. It isn’t on priority right now so it has been sidelined for the moment.

Quote:
I sure VW india has spares of those for GT owners.
VW doesn’t sell spare parts off the counter. Unless you have some friendly technician/service advisor, this is going to be hard.

Quote:
Or a better idea how about sticking the GT in the center of the plastic patch ? now you'll have just a bit of plastic jutting out on both sides. cool ? additionally maybe chop off the left and right side ?
I did not quite get this one. Could you do some MS paint job and post the result?

Quote:
Over 2k for just the 2-letter logo is a bit expensive IMO. You can get cheaper TDI and GLI logos (same fonts, same size) from AliExpress, paste them on a black plastic backplate and stick them using Araldite. Will end up being cheaper.

Quote:
will this slot into the honey comb grill ?
Doubtful because the clips are meant for a different grill and the GTI grill may have the spacing of the slots different. Besides, you are better off using screws to clamp the logo so no one can pry it off the grill and walk away.

I shall post a workaround soon. Installing the cluster is the priority right now and I am waiting for it.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:51   #237
BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy to say that I'm now finally the owner of my own GT TDI. This was apparently the last piece they had in Bangalore in black (didn't even consider the other colours) so I consider myself lucky . I considered waiting for the new GT TDI to arrive in September, but I feared it would exclusively be a DSG gearbox and I prefer a manual gearbox. Even now after seeing the new facelift I don't regret my decision.
Firstly, welcome to the "exclusive" club of the 1st gen GT TDIs. Secondly, waiting for a to be launched new model is not a pleasant experience. It's good that you went ahead and bought it. Lastly, request you to start a Ownership thread. I couldn't start one when I bought it and now its too late

I've got the tweeters installed in mine near the door handles at the Front. If you want to audition the speakers/amplifiers/HU, we can meet over a weekend.
Old 17th July 2014, 14:01   #238
BANNED

Quote:

I did not quite get this one. Could you do some MS paint job and post the result?
what i meant was. say you put in the plastic tab/piece back into the grill which has the GTI on it. Now remove the GTI lettering. Now once you have the GT lettering in the font of your choice, you put stick the GT in the center of plastic tab/piece.

So now the plastic tab/piece will have GT in center instead of the original GTI. The GT stuck in the center of the will leave a bit of plastic on both sides as now it is showing only 2 letters instead of 3. So i was thinking maybe we can chop of a bit of it from both the sides and up to where only the GT part exists. what say ? let me know when you figure out a way. also waiting on your cluster upgrade... cheers

Last edited by rana_kirti : 17th July 2014 at 14:02.
Old 17th July 2014, 20:17   #239
Nan

Gannu, your thread played a significant part in helping me finalising on the GT TDI. I appreciate your patience and attention to detail.

I traded in my 2011 Polo 1.2 MPI and went for the GT! Mine is probably the last GT (Gen 1) to be sold in India (as told by the SA). Looking forward to starting my ownership thread!
Nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 18:01   #240
BHPian

Not sure how I missed this thread Gannu, despite seeing you very active on the other threads!

I'm curious where you sourced the GTI Cluster from, if its from the Czech Republic directly, I'll be very interested.

Great work and inspiring to see you do most of the mods yourself

Most Viewed