Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 20:48   #301
DWC
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

How does the car drive after the service?
Any reason for not getting the car washed from the service center? Do they charge astronomical amounts?
Did you have to tell them (service center) not to do the balancing and alignment as well? Don't they do that also unless specifically told not to?

Oh yeah, the next upgrade looks mouthwatering. Looking forward!
Old 29th August 2014, 20:59   #302
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
How does the car drive after the service?
Any reason for not getting the car washed from the service center? Do they charge astronomical amounts?
Did you have to tell them (service center) not to do the balancing and alignment as well? Don't they do that also unless specifically told not to?

Oh yeah, the next upgrade looks mouthwatering. Looking forward!
I just drove 7 km from the service center through choked roads (thanks to Ganesh Chathurthi!) in the city to our apartment so couldn't perceive much but I did definitely feel a difference in the smoothness of the engine. Clatter/vibes have reduced (due to the oil change perhaps?) and the steering felt a bit easier to rotate (greased the joints?). I will be driving to the workplace tomorrow (36 km to and fro) so shall post back how that felt.

As for car washing, I wasn't really sure how well do these guys do the job. Fearing the balti-and-rag method, I asked them not to do the washing and vacuuming. Charges are approx. Rs. 280 for that.

Yes I did ask them not to do the wheel balancing and alignment. I think this is a part of the scheduled service so they do it if the owner doesn't specifically ask them not to.

Ordered the Morimoto retrofit kit from The Retrofit Source, US. A friend is in Michigan for 20 days. He will be bringing it along and handing it over to me next month. But much more than that, I am looking forward for the long trip next month. I will be driving down to Kerala from here on 9th September and the car will be with us for all our trips during the wedding and after that. We are visiting a lot of places - Thrissur, Ernakulam, Malappuram, Alleppey, Thekkady, Munnar, Madurai, Guruvayur etc etc. At least 5000 km running guaranteed!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th August 2014 at 21:04.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 11:25   #303
Team-BHP Support

My ever helpful roomie (5 long years!) and my best friend, finally relocated to another home to make space for my fiancée who also moved in yesterday. Shifted all his belongings in one go which included a 1.5 m long table dismantled. We folded the rear seat back which folded almost flat if not fully flat but the car swallowed everything in one go! Really surprised us. The front seats weren’t touched!

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140830_18_10_36_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140830_18_10_17_pro.jpg

My trip to Palakkad is due next week and am joyfully looking forward for that. Since this will be a long trip (1725 km, 2 days) in fact the longest I would have undertaken, I did not want to do it solo so our trusted family chauffeur would be coming to Surat on 8th evening and we will depart on the 9th by 3:30 AM. The only night’s halt would be at Hubli. We will depart Hubli for Palakkad on 10th morn and hopefully reach Palakkad by 10th night.

Got some stuff for the trip:
  • A towing rope - 3 m, 3 ton.
  • Assembled a tool kit inside an Ariel 2 kg washing powder cardboard box (M-seal, duct tape, WD40 32g spray, zip ties of various sizes, puncture repair kit, screw driver with bits, torch, spare AA battery, insulation tape, hobby knife, rag clothes.
  • First aid kit - Savlon 50 mL, Paracetamol tablet strip, Avomine tablet strip, Roko tablet strip (Loperamide for diarrhoea), Povidone-Iodine ointment, cotton balls, bandages, surgical tape, scissors, hand sanitizer.
  • Engine oil - Castrol Edge 5W40. Had used approx. 300 mL from the 1L bottle I had sourced some time back.
  • Tissue roll and 10 nos. Rs. 15 Snickers bars.
  • All the important documents’ originals have been kept in a folder in the glovebox along with a copy in the spare wheel well.

Do let me know if I’ve missed anything important.

The spare tire was never used so far but we checked the pressure and it was around 30 psi - good enough, spare jack and emergency warning triangle is in good shape, a pair of H4 55/60 spare bulbs and some spare fuses that came along with the car. Fire extinguisher is velcro-strapped to the bottom of the co-driver’s seat. The only things missing are the jump start cables and a portable tire inflator. Yet to do the PUC check. Although my car is yet to be an year old, I’d rather get it done and avoid arguments with the cops. A colleague said that cops in MH have a very unruly stance towards GJ registered vehicles - his car was stopped and the cops asked for the documents. When he produced everything, they asked for the first aid kit! He went on to argue that some medication in the kit was missing. Luckily, my colleague was headed for a medical emergency so he was spared.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 12:17   #304
DWC
BHPian

That is one really full up car. Did you have to remove the arm rest?

I think you have pretty much covered everything you need to carry with you, with regards to your trip.

Can't stop laughing about the cop incident. The things they will come up with never fails to amaze me.
DWC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 14:07   #305
BHPian

Is the fuel filter replacement at every 15k for Polo? Isnt that a bit too short? The cost is not much though, I feel. Fiesta's fuel filter is about Rs 1700, every 30k.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:29   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Did you have to remove the arm rest?
Nope. We didn't have to remove the arm rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Is the fuel filter replacement at every 15k for Polo?
That's right. I assume it is the same for every VAG car out there.
Old 1st September 2014, 17:27   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Do let me know if I've missed anything important
IMO, do get the spare wheel inflated to the correct pressure and also balance it so you'll not have any issue though it isn't that serious a need but still.

Do buy a tyre inflator and tyre puncture repair kit.

All the best for the trip! So what's the odometer going to read once you reach GJ back?

Hope you beat my current reading!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 17:43   #308
BHPian

Quote:
. We folded the rear seat back which folded almost flat if not fully flat but the car swallowed everything in one go! Really surprised us. The front seats weren’t touched!
Woah! thats a lot of luggage. Didn't know so much could be fit into a Polo.

Quote:
Got some stuff for the trip:
Do let me know if I’ve missed anything important.
You almost have everything covered for the trip. A DSLR would compliment the trip. Argument for a first aid kit ? Such cops should be asked to show their professional license.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 19:13   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do buy a tyre inflator and tyre puncture repair kit.
I am not considering one since the cheap ones like the Coido inflator have cheap plastic construction and users have reported that it takes a lot of time to inflate the tire from scratch using the 12v cigarette lighter receptacle.

Quote:
All the best for the trip! So what's the odometer going to read once you reach GJ back?
Thanks Anurag. I am going to need it. I have never done a long trip like this, not even in our family cars so this is going to be an experience.

Quote:
Hope you beat my current reading!
Oh come on, you can't be kidding! What's your reading? 25k now?

This trip might add another 4-5k tops to the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Woah! thats a lot of luggage. Didn't know so much could be fit into a Polo.
We were equally surprised! Moving the seats ahead would make some more space but we didn't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
A DSLR would compliment the trip.
Yep, my faithful 600D would be accompanying me (goes with the luggage so didn't mention it here) although I really doubt if we would be stopping by to click snaps. Anyways I shall click a few whenever my co-driver is behind the wheel.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2014 at 19:16.
Old 1st September 2014, 19:16   #310
BANNED

Quote:

I am not considering one since the cheap ones like the Coido inflator
It is better to posses it rather than being sorry at that time. Suggest you to buy it or borrow someone's if you know!

Quote:
Oh come on, you can't be kidding! What's your reading? 25k now?
23K.

Anurag.
Old 1st September 2014, 19:36   #311
BHPian

Quote:

My trip to Palakkad is due next week and am joyfully looking forward for that. Since this will be a long trip (1725 km, 2 days) in fact the longest I would have undertaken, ....
....Yet to do the PUC check. Although my car is yet to be an year old, I’d rather get it done and avoid arguments with the cops.
Superb, so you will be doing a grand tour in your GT . The roads between Pune and Satara are not the best, but from Satara you can easily have a good average speed. Once you enter KA then you will see 6 lanes and it will be hard to resist the temptation of trying to hit the maximum speed.
The key would be to start the journey as early as possible. You will be able to cover quite a good distance before the traffic kicks in.

I just reached Calicut for Onam, this time via Bangalore from Pune.

PUC will be mandatory. I thought the PUC check is required in a car which is older than 6 months.

Quote:
23K.

Anurag.
not too far behind, my odometer shows 22.5K.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 19:36   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Is the fuel filter replacement at every 15k for Polo? Isnt that a bit too short? The cost is not much though, I feel. Fiesta's fuel filter is about Rs 1700, every 30k.
Are you sure it is 30k for Fiesta. For Verna it is still shorter than Polo @ 10k. Cost around 1800/-.

Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 19:39   #313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post

not too far behind, my odometer shows 22.5K.
In how many months? :P

Anurag.
Old 1st September 2014, 19:58   #314
BHPian

Quote:
In how many months? :P

Anurag.
I got the car on 25th September 2013, As per the SA mine came as one of the first batches of GT TDi to Kerala.
Yours in the same period ?
Old 1st September 2014, 20:02   #315
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
I got the car on 25th September 2013, As per the SA mine came as one of the first batches of GT TDi to Kerala.
Yours in the same period ?
Lol. I drive a Swift ZDi and not the GT TDI which I wanted badly.

Anurag.

Most Viewed