Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 13:55   #361
BHPian

re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
And finally, Sreejith for lugging the Morimoto components from the US all the way to Palakkad
Awesome mod
Can you please help me with the following
- Please provide me the link, so that my friend in US could buy this, and get it to India.
- Approximate weight of the package.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 13:57   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Awesome mod
Can you please help me with the following
- Please provide me the link, so that my friend in US could buy this, and get it to India.
- Approximate weight of the package.
The DIY thread in the assy. line will help you out with all the queries you would have. Please wait for a bit longer (weekend perhaps). I have mentioned everything in the thread.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 16:45   #363
Senior - BHPian

Excellent DIY there! Its these DIY attempts which give me confidence to attempt the same on my car,later this month. Do mention the degree of difficulty in carrying out this mod in the DIY thread.

PS: Just wondering if the RHS projector needs some tuning ? The cut-off doesn't look sharp like LHS one.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 23:18   #364
BHPian

Keep it coming gannu. The time and patience you have for the car,skill set required to get the job done is truly amazing! Glued to this thread and just waiting for what is next in the huge pipeline.
psuraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 15:30   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Just wondering if the RHS projector needs some tuning ? The cut-off doesn't look sharp like LHS one.
Right Shashank but the blue band you see on the LHS cutoff is present due to the shield and the lens as far as my understanding goes. i.e. the shield affects the dispersion of the output light through the lens. As for the absence of the blue band on the RHS, it can be caused due to an improper bulb mount but AFAIK the bulb has been mounted correctly on the RHS projector. I will be reseating the bulb sometime but that requires the entire headlight assembly to be removed due to the space constraints; diesel filter + coolant tank blocks the space.

Quote:
Do mention the degree of difficulty in carrying out this mod in the DIY thread.
The only parts I found myself struggling with, were prying off the clear lens after applying heat and sealing the clear lens back into the assembly. You ideally need an extra pair of helping hands during this activity - rest of the stuff can be done by yourself. Aligning the projectors are very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuraj View Post
just waiting for what is next in the huge pipeline.
None really Suraj. A VAG car is really a money-sucking monster - there is really no end to the modifications that can be done to VAG machines but I am done for the time being. This one was pending since September. Will do a remap once we cross the 30k mark.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th November 2014 at 15:54.
Old 15th November 2014, 20:46   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only parts I found myself struggling with, were prying off the clear lens after applying heat and sealing the clear lens back into the assembly. You ideally need an extra pair of helping hands during this activity - rest of the stuff can be done by yourself. Aligning the projectors are very easy.
Thanks. I'm getting the Fx-R's mostly, so decided to get it done through a installer here. I've read they're not easy to install like the mini's so didn't want to take a chance.Waiting for black friday discount on TRS before I place my order
Old 15th November 2014, 21:19   #367
Team-BHP Support

FX-Rs are brilliant projectors going by the reviews. A friend from Bangalore recently installed them in his Polo snd had only good things to say about them. Installation is a bit complicated since it involves cutting the reflectors but the output is well worth the efforts. Go ahead with those - you wouldn't be disappointed.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:28   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FX-Rs are brilliant projectors going by the reviews. Go ahead with those - you wouldn't be disappointed.
Just curious,did you consider FX-R at the time of buying mini's ? What made you opt for the minis
Old 19th November 2014, 21:11   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just curious,did you consider FX-R at the time of buying mini's ? What made you opt for the minis
Yeah I did but gave them up in favour of the Mini D2S. The main factor was the difficulty of installation. Since this was my first ever projector retrofit and I had no clue of the intricacies involved, I chose to go with the D2S. Performance wise there isn't a huge difference between the FX-Rs and Mini D2S and they are priced exactly the same.
Old 20th November 2014, 21:03   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I did but gave them up in favour of the Mini D2S. The main factor was the difficulty of installation. Since this was my first ever projector retrofit and I had no clue of the intricacies involved, I chose to go with the D2S. Performance wise there isn't a huge difference between the FX-Rs and Mini D2S and they are priced exactly the same.
Yeah,it appears Fx-R are a bit too much for a first time DIY projector install. I also read a few posts where they prefer the D2S 3.0 over the FX-R's. Awaiting your DIY thread to understand the work involved in detail
Old 15th December 2014, 11:00   #371
Team-BHP Support

We shifted base from Surat to Navsari since the start of the month so I joined a 3-member carpool for commuting to work (total distance/day - 110 km) and the monthly driving (and fuel bills!) has shot up. The headlight upgrade has proved to be immensely helpful since it becomes dark around 6:30 PM. This would continue until mid-February or so.

Navsari is a small town located approx. 40 km from Surat and is connected to the Mumbai-Ahmedabad NH-8 through a couple of bypass roads. The town is very serene - far less polluted (noise and air both) compared to Surat and people are generally good, courteous and helpful. The NH-8 is visible from the balcony of our 6th floor apartment.

Fact: The founder of Tata Group, Jamsetji Tata was born in Navsari, in the erstwhile princely state of Baroda. There is a road named after him here.

Winters are here already! Clicked this at 7:40 AM today:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20141215_07_34_33_pro.jpg

(Co-driver clicked the snap! Before I get bashed. )

Other than that, no complaints so far. Been a while since I checked the engine oil level. Will do it one of these days.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th December 2014 at 11:03.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 13:46   #372
Senior - BHPian

We'll, what a surprise. I'm in Navarro for the day, so it was a mild coincidence to see this thread bumped as it was.

Always nice to see updates from your end, this is one of my favorite ownership reviews on team BHP. Keep em coming
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 15:34   #373
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Had ordered a pair of Hella DynaEdge wipers from Snapdeal (link; couldn't find Bosch's Clear Advantage for the 16" size)
Hi Gannu,

I am bit confused about the sizing
- Somewhere. I have read it as 24''(Driver side), 16''(co driver side)
- Ebay lists this as 21'' 19''
- In the Hella website, it mentions 21'' 19''(for the Vento)

Can you please let me know the size of the wipers(you have bought)?

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 18th December 2014 at 15:42.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:24   #374
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Quote:
Hi Gannu,

I am bit confused about the sizing
- Somewhere. I have read it as 24''(Driver side), 16''(co driver side)
- Ebay lists this as 21'' 19''
- In the Hella website, it mentions 21'' 19''(for the Vento)
Take a measuring tape and check the sizes of the stock ones from your car.

Quote:
Can you please let me know the size of the wipers(you have bought)?
It is 24” and 16” AFAIK.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 08:50   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Take a measuring tape and check the sizes of the stock ones from your car.
It is 24” and 16” AFAIK.
Thanks Gannu.

Unfortunately, I have placed an order in ebay(which said Polo wipers, but seems to be 21'' 19'' size). Currently it is in the transit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks