Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2015, 07:26   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
7th October marked the car’s second anniversary!
The car looks a beauty after 2 years. Great to see such a well maintained black car. Makes me wish I had stuck to my original choice of black which I dropped due to heat concerns and went for white instead.

The car has also performed the stellar job of getting you in front of a steering instead of a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That would take care of the interiors. Next year, I’ll get the shocks replaced with Bilsteins. I am not looking at a remap considering this engine dishes out ample power taking care of my day-to-day requirements.
Have you checked out this link - Carpowergrid. They offer Koni Sport shocks at decent prices which got me interested. Haven't bought them so far so I do not know about the buying experience etc.

Have you done an EGR cleaning so far? Does VW speak of a cleaning schedule anywhere?

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 30th October 2015 at 07:27.
Old 30th October 2015, 09:31   #647
BHPian

Hi Gannu,

Congratulation on the 2nd Anniversary of owning this black beauty. She must be indeed blessed to have you its Knight-rider.

I always wanted to own a TDI and GT adjective would have been dream come true but for my better-half love for Hyundai.

I am now looking for a pre-worshiped hatchbacks and Polo TDI is a strong contender.
You review has further strengthened my belief in VW in spite of recent issues on emission.

Last edited by Wanderers : 30th October 2015 at 09:35.
Old 31st October 2015, 20:26   #648
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
With my very limited knowledge about this BCM upgrade I am guessing, are these two pins related to Cornering lights by any chance?
Nope, it is the parking lights for sure. graaja's response is spot on. We'll know in 2 weeks' time anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
and i cant but help compare your pal moorthy to 'the steadying influence of Dr.Watson'
Haha he is such an awesome guy - always willing to help and get his hands dirty in the process. Being a super-slim guy, his hands can reach most places where mine would get stuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
So i have a question for you sherlock, Is it possible to flip the wiper and indicator stalks on the polo/vento so that the indicator stalk is positioned to the right of the steering wheel?
Nope. That isn't possible. For one, there's a spring-back mechanism in the left stalk which helps flick it back in place when the indicator is activated. This isn't possible on the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
These two signals are feedback signals from the right and left parking lights. MY guess is that in higher end headlight assemblies, each parking light will have a feedback signal to indicate bulb failure. This BCM has two input pins for feedback signals from the parking lights. However, the original wiring does not have these feedback signals (maybe the headlight assembly itself does not have this). So, the BCM is seeing the absence of these feedback signals as failed parking lights and hence this error.

Getting rid of this error will require fooling the BCM that the lights are healthy by providing a feedback signal. Assuming the logic level of these signals is 12V, then connecting these two signals to the respective parking light drive signal will remove the error.
Absolutely spot on graaja. My thinking is also on the same lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Makes me wish I had stuck to my original choice of black which I dropped due to heat concerns and went for white instead.
At times, I wish I got the red/white model just so I could have applied a black vinyl on the roof. Looks killer with that pseudo-sunroof effect but the black shade always has its special charm.

Quote:
Have you checked out this link - Carpowergrid. They offer Koni Sport shocks at decent prices which got me interested. Haven't bought them so far so I do not know about the buying experience etc.
The next major upgrade is definitely improving the suspension. The Bilsteins B6s from Germany are pretty cheap (the only downer being sending it back to them in the event of a warranty replacement; B6s come with lifetime warranty).

Quote:
Have you done an EGR cleaning so far? Does VW speak of a cleaning schedule anywhere?
Man, accessing the EGR is damn hard tell you! I don't suppose VW has it anywhere in their schedule but will reconfirm and let you know sometime.

The other day, I had a casual look at the ECU and figured out that it does not have the anti-theft security bracket. Perhaps, VW dropped it for the Indian models; a lot of users abroad mentioned this as the first roadblock in this DIY. Fortunately, I was able to access the ECU's 94-pin connector today by simply pulling a latch upwards.

And pin no. 64 would be this:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20151031_15_05_41_pro.png

Will insert the cable maybe next weekend and keep it ready. In other news, the steering has been shipped from Mexico and should hopefully be here by Diwali. I really hope I get it before the holidays begin else FedEx would be off for the whole weekend.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 08:40   #649
Team-BHP Support

Hi Gannu,

You may have tried this already, just wanted to mention something I noticed today in VCDS that may help with the lamp error on the instrument cluster.

When I was running a VCDS scan to check if parking assist module is enabled in the car, I also had a look at some of the BCM settings. I found that there is a lamp diagnostics enable/disable option for various lamps (high beam, low beam, fog lamps etc). I did not find any bits for parking lights in my BCM. Maybe for your BCM, there are bits that activate/deactivate lamp diagnostics for parking lights. If you disable these, then the BCM will ignore these two feedback signals.

Here is a screenshot with the lamp diagnostic bits for some of the lights.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-picture1.jpg
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:28   #650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Gannu,

You may have tried this already, just wanted to mention something I noticed today in VCDS that may help with the lamp error on the instrument cluster.
Thanks Ganesh. I've already fiddled with the options available regarding the lamp diagnostics.

When I turned off the Bit 1 below:

Name:  B13.png
Views: 4586
Size:  58.6 KB

And when the parking lights are on (it works regardless), the error goes off but when we turn them off with the switch, it comes back.

For now, I've enabled all the lamp diagnostics.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 17:41   #651
Team-BHP Support

Phew! This has to be the most INSANE Sunday we'd spent!

Happy to say that our cruise control retrofit and the Mk7 steering retrofit was super successful! And it feels awesome having accomplished something which we had been longing for a while - all the research and information we've had came to our help.

Here're some snaps:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1291.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1293.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1296.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1298.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1303.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1308.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1462.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1468.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1474.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1475.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_1483.jpg

The DIY thread will be up shortly - got so many snaps and have to write a lot of content for the two retrofits. And this was something we planned to do during the Diwali holidays. Now we'll have to drive some place during the 3-day holiday!
Gannu_1 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 17:44   #652
Senior - BHPian

OMG! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! Congrats bro. That steering wheel looks breathtakingly beautiful and cruise control is <3
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 17:51   #653
Senior - BHPian

Amazing job there gannu! Love the new steering wheel, Also in the picture where the cruise control is activated, I can't see the ODO kms reading changed to the current cruise speed? Attaching a picture as reference, Works the same in my Jetta too, Maybe you have left something that has to be activated via VCDS?

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-20140912_104323.jpg

As soon as you activate the cruise switch, The ODO changes to as its seen in the picture, Lateron it shows the current speed your cruising on, Which actually helps in setting an exact speed if you want.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 17:54   #654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I can't see the ODO kms reading changed to the current cruise speed? Attaching a picture as reference, Works the same in my Jetta too, Maybe you have left something that has to be activated via VCDS?
No that doesn't work for the Polo. I checked the option under Instruments > Adaptation in VCDS which enables this feature on the MFD - says Channel not available.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 18:35   #655
BANNED

Another amazing feat out there Gannu! Hat's off to you!

Excellent job and IMO yours will be the only car if and when sold to be given off at higher rates than what you bought - thanks to the modification list you carried out.

Waiting for the DIY thread.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th November 2015 at 18:38.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 21:19   #656
Senior - BHPian

WoW! That steering wheel is awesome!!

Congratulations!!

Those ABC steel pedals are nice. Do they come as stock? Sorry if you have already mentioned in the thread. If it was bought online, are they available for the MT Jetta?

Thanks in advance!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 11:17   #657
Team-BHP Support

Here's a short clip of the cruise control in action:

Feels really good resting the right foot during a long drive on empty stretches! And accelerating and decelerating using the left stalk buttons is pretty cool.

The new steering is a delight to hold and operate - especially for the pre-facelift Polo models which didn't have the buttons on the right spoke and we had to use the right stalk to scroll through the MFD options. Now its a breeze!

Besides, even though the current right stalk has the same buttons, I disabled them by removing the relevant pins from the connector:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20151101_17_44_25_pro.jpg

Figured out what were these pins using the continuity check with the DMM while pressing the buttons. I'll mention everything in the DIY thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Those ABC steel pedals are nice. Do they come as stock?
Yes, the GT models come with the Aluminium pedals with rubber inserts.
Gannu_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 15:55   #658
BHPian

Excellent Ganesh. Happy that you got hold of it before diwali. Looking forward to your DIY thread. For all my mods, i've always sought professional help as my line of work doesn't permit neither the time nor the tools or knowledge
But occasionally i do get tempted by your threads. Will see if i can emulate atleast 1 or 2 of your mods myself. Take care.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 16:10   #659
BHPian

Congratulations and hats off to you, Ganesh. Just Awesome!!!

You have been the biggest source of inspiration for most of the mods done on Polo/Vento in this forum.

Now the tribe is eagerly awaiting your DIY to retrofit on ours too.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 17:17   #660
BHPian

Awesome is the word for Gannu. He does the mods with such precision and elegance. Kudos to him. Waiting for DIY thread.
sunilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks