Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 07:05   #721
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Great work Gannu Bhai, Always a pleasure reading your posts. Any development on the installation of auto folding mirrors?
Old 28th February 2016, 10:10   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Not much but the notification LED of the OEM mirror is less intrusive. The former one had a very bright green LED.
Any DIY ideas you had in your mind to reduce the brightness of that green LED?

I gave a thought to pry open the mirror and mask that LED to reduce the effect but i think it is not worth doing this way.
Old 28th February 2016, 10:56   #723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Any DIY ideas you had in your mind to reduce the brightness of that green LED?

I gave a thought to pry open the mirror and mask that LED to reduce the effect but i think it is not worth doing this way.
Just use a black permanent marker to cover it up to your liking. I am not sure if opening the unit is a good idea just for this.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 08:32   #724
BHPian

I want to install auto folding mirrors on my polo. This is the link of the item on aliexpress. Please provide information if this could be installed on 2015 highline polo.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-20...7-8eae43c3848a
Thanks in advance
Old 4th March 2016, 14:10   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

How about the split glass for the ovrms, as standard on all [?] UK cars for a long, long time. It increases the angle of vision. Have you thought about this one? Would it be easy to source and fit?
Old 10th March 2016, 18:23   #726
BHPian

Hey Gannu, got myself the OEM led number plate light units from aliexpress. Tried my hand at installation of the same as well. Removed the existing stock unit, removed the stock bulb out of the holder and tried to insert and lock the holder into the new led unit but, it just wouldn't fit. The bulb holder portion is circular and is quite large as well compared to the rectangular input section on the new OEM Led units that i got. Apparently they are the same as the types you installed. Just intrigued and confused as to how to successfully install these LED unit.

Please do help.

cheers
Old 10th March 2016, 19:53   #727
Team-BHP Support

Was out of town for the last 6 days - went on a trip to Somnath, Dwarka, the Rann of Kutch and Narayan Sarovar. Had an amazing time! Will put up a short travelogue when time permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
I want to install auto folding mirrors on my polo. This is the link of the item on aliexpress. Please provide information if this could be installed on 2015 highline polo.

Thanks in advance
Sorry I've no idea - this looks like a customised version for the Polo (just like the Chinese auto headlights) since it lacks the window controllers. They are bundling some dedicated controller unit (the white box) with the set. The folding mirrors are probably a match but they are available for under 10k a pair here.

If I would ever change mine, I would get the controllers from the outside (Russia = cheaper than other European dealers), do the harness myself and source the mirrors locally and get them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How about the split glass for the ovrms, as standard on all [?] UK cars for a long, long time. It increases the angle of vision. Have you thought about this one?
I did but when I sourced the passive anti-glare mirrors I've currently installed on mine, the dealer didn't have the ones with the blind spot aspherical edges. I don't feel the need to as the interior mirror is a huge step up from the stock one and offers a wide view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would it be easy to source and fit?
Should scour the web - you should be able to find one. Aliexpress have dealers who sell aftermarket (not VW) replacements with LED indicators - this one has an aspherical edge.

Replacing is easy - just pry out the stock mirrror using the fingers and press the new one in until it locks in place.

Please note that our mirror elements are different in shape compared to the ones that go into the folding mirror assembly. In case you send an inquiry to a dealer, do mention that the mirror assembly does not have indicators or electric folding option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
The bulb holder portion is circular and is quite large as well compared to the rectangular input section on the new OEM Led units that i got. Apparently they are the same as the types you installed. Just intrigued and confused as to how to successfully install these LED unit.
Could you post some pics of both the units' connector area side-by-side?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th March 2016 at 19:59.
Old 11th March 2016, 15:51   #728
BHPian

An amazing thread and a ready reference for DIY enthusiasts. Any idea of adding a TPM to monitor the tyre pressure ?

Thanks to your thread, I am looking at getting a GT TDI shortly.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 17:03   #729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Any idea of adding a TPM to monitor the tyre pressure ?
There are 2 ways to get the TPMS done:

1. Low tire pressure warning using the ABS controller: You will need the kit from Aliexpress (link) and wire them up to the ABS controller's connector and lead it to the glovebox. The glovebox has a provision of installing the SET switch here:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-glove-box-1.png
(Pic courtesy: BHPian graaja's TSI ownership thread)

The newer clusters sold on the current gen Polo displays the warning symbol - an easy method is to shine a strong focused light on the dials and you would see if there's a warning symbol like this:

Name:  2513b7as960.png
Views: 5012
Size:  537.4 KB

This will only sense the low tire pressure on the tire(s) and will not tell you which tire has low pressure. So that's a catch but this is cheap.

2. Aftermarket TPMS: There are plenty of aftermarket solutions which require the sensors to be mounted inside the alloy wheels and relays the signal to the receiver inside.

If only this was a Jetta/Laura and above with a separate CAN gateway unit, the OEM TPMS could have been used. But it is super expensive and the whole setup costs close to 30k! VW calls it RDKS (Reifendruck-Kontrollsystem). It also requires a highline cluster and the sensors to be installed inside the alloy wheel.

You get the individual tire pressures on the cluster's MFD like this:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-e655c78s960.jpg

I am however a bit hopeful it can be installed on the Polo since it requires only the CANBUS cable pair. I didn't find any reference on it on the interweb though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
An amazing thread and a ready reference for DIY enthusiasts.
Thanks!
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 20:13   #730
BHPian

Quote:
There are 2 ways to get the TPMS done:
I am however a bit hopeful it can be installed on the Polo since it requires only the CANBUS cable pair. I didn't find any reference on it on the interweb though.
Thanks.

Given that I am stretching my budget, the mods will have to wait till I save on the Vitamin M. I then need to compare the features of your Polo and then draw the new list I am sure VW would also be doing the same.

Will defn start a new thread on that.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 16:55   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Could you post some pics of both the units' connector area side-by-side?
Here are the pics of the two connectors.

The one on the left in this pic is the stock number plate light unit, whereas the one on the right is the OEM LED unit. Noticed that the connector mouths are totally different in shape
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-20160313_154450_resized.jpg

The following two pics are of the stock bulb holder end provided in the car and the OEM LED unit (which ive been trying to install) besides it.
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-20160313_154608_resized.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-20160313_154617_resized.jpg

I seriously hope there is a way to install the same.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 13th March 2016 at 16:59.
Old 13th March 2016, 17:06   #732
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
I seriously hope there is a way to install the same.
Dude, the bulb holder comes off its socket. You have only removed the bulb holder from the stock number plate light. Use a flat tipped screw driver to pry the connector from the holder.
Old 13th March 2016, 18:19   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

ha ha, the ovrvms are not flat, they are convex. I found a list of VW option codes and translated the ones from my car's label...
E0A No special edition
1DO Without trailer hitch
5SD Left exterior mirror, convex (India)
5RH Right exterior mirror: convex
1KN Drum brakes, rear
6FF Body-colored exterior mirror housings and various add-on parts
1N3 Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
1NL Covers for alloy wheels
H52 Tires 185/60 R15 84T (black)
4UE Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
4R3 Power windows with comfort operation
3NB Rear seat bench/backrest, completely folding
4AO
8ZG Antenna for AM/FM reception
J1L Battery 280 A (60 Ah)
7AA Electronic vehicle immobilization device
8GG Alternator 110 A
I checked with a paper straigh-tedge: yes they are. I don't know if this gives as much blind-spot cover as the "split" type.
Old 13th March 2016, 19:12   #734
BHPian

• Hello Gannu_1, Hope you are fine, I want to upgrade to oem IRVM with rain and light sensor. This is the link http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-O...08.0.62.H2vwTx. Please check if this would fit polo and what type of mounting bracket is needed.
  • What sort of additional h/w is needed for rain sensor to be functional?
  • What would be the procedure to install rain sensor?
  • Another query is regarding retrofitting projectors. I have zeroed down on Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III projectors and installation would be done by retorides delhi and I have opted to do using graaja's method on older headlights. They are offering me morimoto Xb55 ballasts. Please provide info on their performance and what D2S bulbs I should go for.
  • Also if there are any other necessary steps while wiring and alignment of headlights.
  • I want to know if headlight leveling switch can be used after that.
  • Thanks in advance.
Old 13th March 2016, 21:43   #735
BHPian

We all know that VW polo doesn't display seat belt warning on the instrument cluster. While looking at the TPMS post by Gannu I looked closely on symbols right next to boot opening symbol there is seat belt warning. Thus the cluster is capable for displaying the seat belt warning. Searched online did't found any thing substantial but this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volks...7117-eub6yrrBy
This one is for Golf but it should work with polo. One can get this to work if one knows how to wire this to bcm. Gannu_1 has access to ESLAWIN so there is a possiblility that wiring can be figured out.

Last edited by sunilsoft : 13th March 2016 at 21:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks