Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2016, 08:41   #871
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Happy third!
And after the 1300 km odd drive to home and back, I must say I am a happy man! The B6s have transformed the ride completely. The immediate result was the ride comfort which had greatly improved. Reason? The front stock shocks were shot and I never knew it all this while! This was immediately evident when I drove the car back to the apartment’s parking lot from the Bosch garage after installing them and the driveway has a lot of those rubber speed breakers installed. The car was dead silent while I drove over them whereas it used to *bang* and *bang* when I used to cross them before. Ditto while driving over small potholes on the roads. The dampers are absorbing the undulations nicely. While cornering at high speeds, the car used to dip and bounce over bumps. Now the ride is a lot more firm, no more dipping while cornering, body roll has reduced substantially and stays absolutely F-L-A-T, planted on the road. It is a little stiff but I’ve got used to it already! The car is an absolute blast to drive now!
Wow that was a very busy update.

Great to see that you are enjoying the Bilstien suspension upgrade. Have they made the rear end feel stiffer having a kick when going into a dip in the road? My Konis' do, and I do sometimes miss the stock suspension feel on bad roads (not too much obviously). Might also have something to do with the fact that my rear shock buffer is shot to bits. Getting a replacement soon so lets see.

The new front suspension mount look much taller than the existing ones. Not sure if this may be due to the usage on the outgoing one but might also contribute to the improved ride comfort. Got a couple of mounts from Lemforder myself so your update tempts me to swap out the front mounts for my car too.

Regarding the limp mode behavior, the car does get upto 100 kmph with the glow plug engine malfunction light on, but as you said progress is slow. I do get the light one once in a while. I usually turn the engine off,pull out the key, wait for 10 seconds and turn the engine back on and things are back to normal. Of late this has been less and less frequent.

This is one Polo that VW should showcase as having trumped the Indian conditions and how!!

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by ampere : 13th November 2016 at 09:09. Reason: Trimmed Quoted post size
shibujp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 21:04   #872
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for the late update! Been tied up with work off-lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hey, check out my driving before you let me do that! Because I'm noticing that my skills and abilities are ageing.
Haha sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I'd be very very happy just to meet you and your star car!
Looking forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Bilstein B6 is something I am mouth wateringly looking forward to in my GT TSI.
Please get it by all means. Transforms the handling of the car completely. Highway jaunts to Palakkad every month couldn’t get any better!

Quote:
How do you find the PS3 ST in handling department? I have heard they are comfort oriented and a bit houncy with 195/60 profile
They are indeed comfort oriented. Bouncy? I am not sure. If you’re in Chennai, feel free to come over and take a drive sometime. I also roam around Chennai after 1-2 AM during weekends to get familiarized with the place. In case you’re awake, we can meet up!

Quote:
Also, ECR is now double lane with high median and with very few median brakes. It is a hoot to drive!
Will check it out some time. But the last time I was there during 2007, I was very scared after a short drive to Mahabs and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I am not sure how it would be the B6s, but 16" wheels/tyres with the stock suspension takes a hit on the ride quality, while not significantly reducing body roll.
You know what, I think I’ll stick to the stock wheels for now. While 16” rims do look better, I’m not sure how the ride quality would take a hit especially considering I do Chennai-Palakkad and Chennai-Madurai drives twice a month these days.

Quote:
If your objective is for better grip levels primarily, I suggest look for good tyres in 205/55 R15. Also there aren't particularly great tyre choices 205/50 R16.
I’m sold on these Primacy 3 STs man. I don’t have to look for another replacement now. I just hope availability isn’t going to be an issue.

Quote:
Combine that with a simple Brembo OE replacement pads+rotors (better than the stock TVS Brakes-India units), you will complement those B6s even better.
I am looking at something better than that. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_747 View Post
Request Your assistance for procuring Bilstein B6.
Hi Arun, I am really not sure what is the equivalent replacement for the Vento. Why don’t you ask Bilstein directly? I am sure they’d help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_747 View Post
Also request You to provide me Your contact number & confirm if I could call You sometime regarding the upgrade.
Drop me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Gannu_1, I have a suggestion for reducing the body roll.
After the suspension upgrade, the body roll has reduced significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Hi Gannu, my 2014 GT TDI which is clocked at 52k kms has started behaving strange during cold start.
Did you resolve this issue finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Have they made the rear end feel stiffer having a kick when going into a dip in the road?
The stiffness has increased compared to the stock shocks but the rear passengers didn’t complain about it though. I did not replace the buffers on the rear shocks either.

Quote:
Regarding the limp mode behavior, the car does get upto 100 kmph with the glow plug engine malfunction light on, but as you said progress is slow. I do get the light one once in a while. I usually turn the engine off,pull out the key, wait for 10 seconds and turn the engine back on and things are back to normal. Of late this has been less and less frequent.
A recent VCDS check revealed this error:
Quote:
382 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)
P0236 00 [096] - Implausible Signal
It hasn’t resurfaced though. *touchwood*

Also got my HU changed to the RCD 330G + MIB 2 unit. After the Skoda Rapid drive that happened last month, I was sold on this HU. The capacitive touch LED display is ridiculously smooth! More like a current gen. smartphone display. Plus no CD drive meant zero moving parts and a more compact unit. And the integrated Bluetooth (supports connections to two devices simultaneously so one can be for streaming music and the other can be for mobile network) and an onscreen dialer also helped. What I miss is the information on the MFD. It only displays who’s calling. For 105 USD inclusive of Aramex shipping to Chennai with zero duties, I have zero complaints!

Some snaps:

The Phone home screen which supports 4 quick dial contacts:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4317.jpg

During an incoming call:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4314.jpg

During an outgoing call:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4315.jpg

Radio supports RDS:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4320.jpg

Displays a clock during standby (the one on the Rapid looked better though):
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4323.jpg

The 8 sensor ParkPilot system works beautifully (supports the PLA 2.0 as well):
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4330.jpg

The splash screen which I rarely get to see since the unit boots almost instantly:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4331.jpg

The only info relayed to the MFD (during an incoming/outgoing call):
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4312.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4321.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_4327.jpg

As always, massive thanks to the Russian folks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2016 at 21:58.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 10:35   #873
BHPian

Quote:
After the suspension upgrade, the body roll has reduced significantly.
It is meant to reduce it further. The "softer" stabilizer links have been discontinued by VW, at least internationally.
Old 20th December 2016, 21:24   #874
BHPian

Hi ganesh,

Hope you are fine. Sorry to repeat the question as you seem to have missed my PM. After a really quite year, the upgrade itch started for me and have placed an order for the Bilstein B6. Planning to use them with stock springs. It's on transit as i type and might reach me in a week. I noticed that you had replaced the front strut mounts too. Do you think its a necessity. Is there a way i could source them in India. If not do you recommend replacing the mounts to locally available ones or persist with stock mounts ?

Thank you,
drpudhi.
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:56   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Parts, part numbers and cost breakup:
    • Sensor - 1S0919275 GRU - Rs. 18000 (for 4 nos.)
    • O-ring - 1T0919133C 9B9 - Rs. 17 (for 4 nos.)
    • Sensor retainer - 6RU919491 (L), 6RU919491A (CL), 6R0919492 (CR), 6R0919492A (R) - Rs. 100 (for 4 nos.)
Hi Gannu,

Could you please help with couple of questions

1. Any reason you did not order entire OPS Kit from Aliexpress. Cost of sensor in VW workshop looks too much while sensor is available on Aliexpress for 15USD each.

2. Did you notice any difference in the parts marked for each side (L, , R, CL, CR) "Sensor retainer - 6RU919491 (L), 6RU919491A (CL), 6R0919492 (CR), 6R0919492A (R) - Rs. 100 (for 4 nos.)" and are these specific to Polo or common for Vento/Polo sold in India.

Regards.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th December 2016 at 09:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 25th December 2016, 19:58   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Also got my HU changed to the RCD 330G + MIB 2 unit. After the Skoda Rapid drive......

........I have zero complaints!......

Hi Gannu,

Your love for your car, and the effort you've put in it is remarkable.

Taking inspiration from you, I wanted to know if the RCD 330G Plus would be a direct fit in my Jan-2015 Jetta Comfortline (the car was manufactured in Oct 2014 and currently has the RCD320). Or will I require any additional modules, cables, etc.

I want to upgrade as I need:
  1. Better Bluetooth telephony experience
  2. OPS, although my car has factory fit front & rear parking sensors, but they only beep, there's no screen.
  3. Album Artwork while playing songs from my iPhone

Cheers
Maglev

Last edited by maglev : 25th December 2016 at 20:00.
maglev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 20:05   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Also got my HU changed to the RCD 330G + MIB 2 unit. After the Skoda Rapid drive that happened last month, I was sold on this HU. The capacitive touch LED display is ridiculously smooth! More like a current gen. smartphone display. Plus no CD drive meant zero moving parts and a more compact unit. And the integrated Bluetooth (supports connections to two devices simultaneously so one can be for streaming music and the other can be for mobile network) and an onscreen dialer also helped. What I miss is the information on the MFD. It only displays who’s calling. For 105 USD inclusive of Aramex shipping to Chennai with zero duties, I have zero complaints!
Hi Gannu_1
I am looking to upgrade from RCD 510 on my 2012 Skoda Superb as it feels slow and outdated when compared to present day systems. I am considering the RCD 330G + as well. Is it a direct fit (in place of RCD 510) or do I need to get any additional components? There are many RCD 330G + on aliexpress, but Skoda specific ones are rare and expensive (over 150 USD). Not sure if the VW version would go with the green backlight interior theme on the Skoda. Would the audio information, phone information be available on the MFD? Considering a bluetooth unit (9w7) already in place, would the phone MFSW buttons work?

Thanks in advance!
Old 26th December 2016, 21:08   #878
Team-BHP Support

Somewhere on the Vellore flyover yesterday while returning from home:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20161225_181842.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi ganesh,

Hope you are fine. Sorry to repeat the question as you seem to have missed my PM. After a really quite year, the upgrade itch started for me and have placed an order for the Bilstein B6. Planning to use them with stock springs. It's on transit as i type and might reach me in a week. I noticed that you had replaced the front strut mounts too. Do you think its a necessity. Is there a way i could source them in India. If not do you recommend replacing the mounts to locally available ones or persist with stock mounts ?

Thank you,
drpudhi.
Doc, replied to the PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
1. Any reason you did not order entire OPS Kit from Aliexpress. Cost of sensor in VW workshop looks too much while sensor is available on Aliexpress for 15USD each.
Did not want to end up getting a sensor which is incompatible with the front bumper. While they are a lot more expensive if you get them from the VW service center, they are a flush fit with the washer. The ones from Aliexpress are a hit or miss when I came across the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
2. Did you notice any difference in the parts marked for each side (L, , R, CL, CR) "Sensor retainer - 6RU919491 (L), 6RU919491A (CL), 6R0919492 (CR), 6R0919492A (R) - Rs. 100 (for 4 nos.)" and are these specific to Polo or common for Vento/Polo sold in India
They look the same but didn't want to take a chance. They are made in India and hardly cost anything IIRC. Have a look:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-sensors-holders-o-rings.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I wanted to know if the RCD 330G Plus would be a direct fit in my Jan-2015 Jetta Comfortline (the car was manufactured in Oct 2014 and currently has the RCD320).
It won't be a direct fit.

Quote:
Or will I require any additional modules, cables, etc.
You will need a female quadlock to male ISO connector. Looks like this:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-iso-quadlock.jpg

Quote:
Better Bluetooth telephony experience
Works well.

Quote:
OPS, although my car has factory fit front & rear parking sensors, but they only beep, there's no screen.
Works well as indicated in the snap above.

Quote:
Album Artwork while playing songs from my iPhone
Won't work. So far no one has been able to figure out why the album art doesn't show up. Not a format error either. Won't be a deal breaker for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Is it a direct fit (in place of RCD 510) or do I need to get any additional components?
It will be a plug-n-play replacement.

Quote:
There are many RCD 330G + on aliexpress, but Skoda specific ones are rare and expensive (over 150 USD).
Please exercise caution before committing to a deal as there were issues with this unit when paired with Skoda cars. The steering controls won't work nor will the unit power off when you take the key off the slot. You should perhaps hold on a bit longer or read the reviews from Skoda users (esp. pics) before buying one.

Quote:
Not sure if the VW version would go with the green backlight interior theme on the Skoda.
Won't blend well IMO. There are units with green backlighting though.

Quote:
Would the audio information, phone information be available on the MFD?
The only info it relays to the MFD is the caller's name during an incoming or outgoing call. Nothing else. The unit will not display the climatronic info when you change the blower speed or temperature.

Quote:
Considering a bluetooth unit (9w7) already in place, would the phone MFSW buttons work?
The external BT unit no longer works when you have this HU. It is deemed redundant.

Please go through this thread as well - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ion-guide.html

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th December 2016 at 22:35.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 22:14   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Please exercise caution before committing to a deal as there were issues with this unit when paired with Skoda cars. The steering controls won't work nor will the unit power off when you take the.....

Won't blend well IMO. There are units with green backlighting though.

The only info it relays to the MFD is the caller's name during an incoming or outgoing call. Nothing else. The unit will not di...
Thanks a lot for answering my queries. As suggested by you, I would rather wait for further reviews as there are issues with the unit on Skoda cars. Non-display of climatronic info is a major minus.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 23:03   #880
Distinguished - BHPian

Great mods and detailed DIY stuff buddy!!

Quote:

Planned upgrades and replacements:
  • OEM rain-light sensor
  • Front parking sensors to the OPS system
  • Bilstein B6 shocks with stock coil springs
  • ECU remap
I couldn't read all the pages though. Have you remapped your Polo GT TDI? . If not, I believe that should be the very next thing you would love to do.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 26th December 2016 at 23:09.
Old 28th December 2016, 15:21   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Also got my HU changed to the RCD 330G + MIB 2 unit.

For 105 USD inclusive of Aramex shipping to Chennai with zero duties, I have zero complaints!

As always, massive thanks to the Russian folks!
Bro. Would it be possible to share the part number or the link / contact from the place you sourced the HU?
As posted in the Rapid thread, I'm looking to upgrade to a headunit with Navigation support and this with Mirrorlink will help in a way, especially being an inexpensive unit.
I wonder if Skoda will be interested to sell one through its Accessories department for my Fabia.
Old 29th December 2016, 21:36   #882
BHPian

Quote:

I had an issue with the glow plug warning sign coming on, a few years ago, in my 2010 Vento 1.6 TDI. The service centre guys said rats chewed up a couple of wires. I am not sure what wires they were, since I was away, but they said the wires were replaced.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:33   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I had an issue with the glow plug warning sign coming on, a few years ago, in my 2010 Vento 1.6 TDI. The service centre guys said rats chewed up a couple of wires. I am not sure what wires they were, since I was away, but they said the wires were replaced.
In your case the light was continuously on right? The glow plug light in my GT comes on once in a blue moon. Been quite a few months since I saw the little blighter....

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:33   #884
BHPian

Quote:
In your case the light was continuously on right? The glow plug light in my GT comes on once in a blue moon. Been quite a few months since I saw the little blighter....

Drive on,
Shibu.
The warning light went away after turning off the engine, and cranking it back on. However, it used to show up again after driving for a while, almost every day. Loss of power was the major effect, like in your case.
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:16   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Please get it by all means. Transforms the handling of the car completely. Highway jaunts to Palakkad every month couldn’t get any better!

They are indeed comfort oriented. Bouncy? I am not sure. If you’re in Chennai, feel free to come over and take a drive sometime. I also roam around Chennai after 1-2 AM during weekends to get familiarized with the place. In case you’re awake, we can meet up!

Will check it out some time. But the last time I was there during 2007, I was very scared after a short drive to Mahabs and back.
Thanks for the detailed replies and very sweet of you to offer to let me see/drive your car. Yes I am in Chennai. Would love and be honoured to meet you and the famous car of yours one day. I used to be awake till 5:00 AM on weekends, as a bachelor. But now, with a new born baby etc, not anymore But now you are tempting me to go on Solo midnight drives

Once you get used to the pulse of ECR, it is a pretty nice drive actually. I used to commute from Kalpakkam (near Mahabs) to Siruseri IT Park via ECR everyday to office for 4 years (That is 45 km + 45 km to and fro). Was a great drive, but yes, you need to be careful, as it is a high speed single carriage-way. But now it is almost like an express way, being a high median-ed dual carriage-way

Last edited by rageshgr : 3rd January 2017 at 16:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks