Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 09:20   #931
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaljawahar View Post
I'm aware of Osram night breakers and Philips extreme vision but I'm interested to know the maximum wattage of the bulb I can have without any changes to the stock electrical setup.
Erring on the safer side, you could use the stock wiring maybe upto 25% more of the existing wattage which would be about 70W. Anything more, it is better to use relay.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 19:46   #932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gannu, I have booked a GT TDI and expecting it in the second week of June. I'm new to the forum and I must say you (and your GT) had a major role in my decision of the car.
Congrats and good to hear that the ownership thread helped you in your decision.

Quote:
I have been following your ownership thread since you started it but I couldn't interact with you since I wasn't a member till now. Thank you for all the efforts you have put on your ownership thread that serves as a guide to all of us.

Quote:
I plan to change the stock headlight bulbs as I will have to do night drives quite often. Do you happen to know the maximum wattage of the headlight bulbs we can have without installing a cutout relay or splicing the wire?
I am really not sure about it since the newer cars now come with the dual H7 setup and we had the H4 bulbs in the single barrel setup. The stock bulbs are rated at 55 W. An upgrade to 70 W bulbs shouldn't be a concern going by graaja's post above. Do the dual barrel headlamps have a poor throw during the night drives? Are the headlights aligned/aimed properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Welcome to the forum, to the TDI club ...and the Gannu Admirers Society!

On an unrelated note, she's crawled past the 97k mark. We have a trip to Guruvayur scheduled this weekend courtesy a friend's wedding. Should be a relaxed fun drive with 2 friends onboard.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th May 2017 at 19:49.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:24   #933

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
7. Auto-headlight sensor module and the Golf Mk7’s headlight switch:

The build quality of the switch is good - no part feels flimsy or built loose. The sensor (an LDR - light dependent resistor, basically) is located above the dashboard at the bottom of the driver side A-pillar.
Gannu, I have been researching the possibility of the auto-headlight mod by integrating a new auto-headlight switch with the stock rain+light sensor in my 2016 Polo instead of adding a new sensor. I have read that the light sensor in this module is meant for the auto-headlights as well. Do you know if this is possible as a retrofit?
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:43   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgoutham View Post
Do you know if this is possible as a retrofit?
Nevermind, I did a little more research and found this is either not possible with the stock BCM or even if it is, not without a little splicing and VCDS coding. I do not have VCDS yet. The auto headlight module is probably just neater and easier.

Last edited by tsgoutham : 23rd May 2017 at 19:57.
Old 23rd May 2017, 21:36   #935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nevermind, I did a little more research and found this is either not possible with the stock BCM or even if it is, not without a little splicing and VCDS coding. I do not have VCDS yet. The auto headlight module is probably just neater and easier.
To implement auto headlights, you need a BCM upgrade and a completely new set of wiring, along with VCDS coding. I have documented this in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...x-upgrade.html

The easiest is to go for the Auto headlight retrofit available in AliExpress that uses its own light sensor. Fixing this is a 10 minute job.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 12:27   #936

Thanks graaja. I read your (incredible ) DIY. I'm just getting started so I'm going to go the quick and safe route with this one! Not that this is of much consequence, but I wonder how the static cornering (fog) lights work when the light switch is completely independent of the BCM - guessing there's a parallel connect between the BCM and the fog lights alone for this functionality. (I'm new to car electronics - the BCM, CAN etc.)

I have another question though - I'm planning on getting the Golf MK7 switch just like Gannu, plus the auto headlight module + sensor. However, the seller on AliExpress insisted they won't work together. Is there a particular version of the switch and module that I need to get?

AliExpress link to switch
AliExpress link to module

The part number for the switch is different here (5GG 941 431 D), but there's just one result on Ali for the part number in Gannu's post (5ND 941 431 E XSH) and that result isn't inspiring much confidence Do you know if these two are interchangeable?
Old 25th May 2017, 13:07   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

Battery talk again.

Two days ago, I took my car out for first time in almost a week. It started without a problem. Picked up a friend to go to a concert, with a brief stop at a shop maybe 4km from home.

First attempt to restart gave that horrible grrrj-phut result typical of a dead battery. But second attempt worked, and I continued on to the concert.

Afterwards, despite my worries, the car started normally.

Next day I put the meter and got 12.6 and 13.9. And I thought, oh, that's OK then, despite the thing being 4 years old.

But now I see that much the same readings prompted Gannu to make the change.

Car is too be serviced next month. It's it really cheaper to buy the battery outside? Sounds like a good price that Gannu paid, 5k.
Old 25th May 2017, 13:19   #938
BHPian

@Gannu, seeking help with my Polo 1.5 Tdi. Same has been posted on the VW polo - do's and don'ts thread as well

Context: Got my battery changed to Amaron Flo 60 Din recently after the original battery went dead in 2.5 yrs, 20k km run Polo 1.5 Tdi.

Issue: dashboard fuel gauge has started showing instantaneous avg in the range of 13-15kmpl (instead of 17-19 kmpl). In actual number as well, car is running lesser kmpl. Have got the tire pressure checked to rule out puncture etc. issues. also, AC is not so effective any more.

Need guidance from you on what's the actual issue.

Last edited by MNITDEVIL : 25th May 2017 at 13:23. Reason: additional info added
Old 25th May 2017, 16:21   #939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have another question though - I'm planning on getting the Golf MK7 switch just like Gannu, plus the auto headlight module + sensor. However, the seller on AliExpress insisted they won't work together. Is there a particular version of the switch and module that I need to get?

AliExpress link to switch
AliExpress link to module

The part number for the switch is different here (5GG 941 431 D), but there's just one result on Ali for the part number in Gannu's post (5ND 941 431 E XSH) and that result isn't inspiring much confidence Do you know if these two are interchangeable?
Not sure how the module handles the switch signals and if the switches are interchangeable. If you are upto some experimenting, you could get both the module and the separate MK7 switch and if it does not work use the one that comes with the module

Quote:
Next day I put the meter and got 12.6 and 13.9. And I thought, oh, that's OK then, despite the thing being 4 years old.
If you measured 13.9V when the engine was running, and 12.6V after switching off the engine, then it is not possible to predict the battery health with this no load voltage. When a battery ages, it's internal resistance increases which will affect the battery's capacity to source current. The open circuit voltage would still be good. But when you load the battery, there will be a huge drop in voltage.

Measure the battery voltage when the car is being cranked. If the voltage drop is very high - say it drops below 11V, then it is time to change the battery.

Last edited by graaja : 25th May 2017 at 16:29.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:36   #940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Measure the battery voltage when the car is being cranked. If the voltage drop is very high - say it drops below 11V, then it is time to change the battery.
Yes, I had a sneaking suspicion that I really needed to do that.

A non-driving wife can hold the probes and read off the numbers for me while I crank the engine, but she is away being a grandmother until Saturday night, and I do not think I can coordinate this with a non-English-speaking maid! Tea and cat food we can manage...

Once upon a time, cars used to have a solenoid, with a pressable button, under the bonnet, which would run the starter motor. But I am talking about the age of generators and carburettors! An age when there was much less under the bonnet, and I could name most of it.

By the way, I may have said that the car, and thus the battery, is four years old. It is not: it (they) are coming up to three years old. Which would, I suppose, still be a reasonable life for the battery.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:08   #941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

A non-driving wife can hold the probes and read off the numbers for me while I crank the engine, but she is away being a grandmother until Saturday night, and I do not think I can coordinate this with a non-English-speaking maid! Tea and cat food we can manage...

By the way, I may have said that the car, and thus the battery, is four years old. It is not: it (they) are coming up to three years old. Which would, I suppose, still be a reasonable life for the battery.
There is another way to check battery health - a crude one though. Turn on the cabin light, and then crank the car. If the cabin light flickers strongly then there may be lot of voltage drop while cranking and it may indicate a poor battery health.

After the OE battery in my Jetta failed twice in 3 years (I have now installed an Amaron), I would never trust a VW OE battery!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:43   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4 years is pretty good battery life in Indian climatic conditions. I am considering a 'proactive replacement' of my car battery (turns 4 in Aug '17) because I don't want it failing unexpectedly.

A quick battery test? Switch on your headlamps and crank the engine. If it fails to crank and/or the headlamps' illumination becomes really dim then it's time for a new battery. If the headlamps flicker but retain their illumination when cranking (normal behavior) you're good to go for now. But keep in mind the battery is probably already living on borrowed time.

The idea behind using headlamps instead of cabin lights is to test the battery under load.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th May 2017 at 19:45. Reason: typo
Old 25th May 2017, 20:47   #943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
4 years is pretty good battery life in Indian climatic conditions. I am considering a 'proactive replacement' of my car battery (turns 4 in Aug '17) because I don't want it failing unexpectedly.
As per correction above, I should have said three. I guess this car feels like home, and I seem to have had it longer than I have.
Quote:
A quick battery test? Switch on your headlamps and crank the engine. If it fails to crank and/or the headlamps' illumination becomes really dim then it's time for a new battery. If the headlamps flicker but retain their illumination when cranking (normal behavior) you're good to go for now. But keep in mind the battery is probably already living on borrowed time.
I don't remember the last time I started the car with the headlamps on. As long as I can remember, cars turn off a lot of stuff, even including the radio, to keep the power for cranking. Doesn't that include headlights? I'll have to check.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:05   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember the last time I started the car with the headlamps on. As long as I can remember, cars turn off a lot of stuff, even including the radio, to keep the power for cranking. Doesn't that include headlights? I'll have to check.
I too never start with the headlamps (or other accessories) switched on under normal conditions but use this technique a couple of times a year to perform a DIY load test on the battery.

As for the ignition switch cutting off power to accessories, headlamps and other circuits when starting the car, it doesn't happen to my vehicles because I can see interior lights and headlamps, foglamps etc staying on when cranking the engine. I ensure all the ICE components are switched off before performing this test.

Not sure how VW have configured the Polo's ignition switch, so it's YMMV.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 08:37   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
@Gannu, seeking help with my Polo 1.5 Tdi. Same has been posted on the VW polo - do's and don'ts thread as well

Seems @Gannu is away from TBHP these days. The problem persists and the car seems less responsive as well

Last edited by ampere : 31st May 2017 at 09:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed