Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 11:22   #991
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
Hi Gannu,

I was able to enter 066800 coding directly on my Vento TSI 2016 which is equipped with Rain Sensor. However on pouring water from a water bottle did close the windows on my key fob locked car which had all windows rolled down.
Hi meetzap,

I have installed OEM RLS in my Vento TSI Comfotline and rain closing works in following conditions

1. Switch off and lock car
2. Switch off car and remove key, car remains unlocked
3. Switch off car and don't remove key.

Please try to use following code in RLS module

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 5K7 955 559 C
Component: RLS 020816 04 42 0106
Coding: 0714DD

Please check again if rain closing is enabled in Byte 4 within 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) module

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:11   #992
Team-BHP Support

The next scheduled service (105k km) is due; about 400 km left but by the looks of it I may overshoot it by 100/200 km due to work related travel which I didn't foresee.

A good friend (thanks a bunch man!) helped me source the replacement parts:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img20170719wa00021.jpg

Amazon delivered the Liqui Moly Diesel Purge and Motul's 5W40 1L oil few days back. The 4L can is on its way and the torque wrench is yet to be shipped (just hope I get it before August 11th!). Need to source a 32 mm 1/2" socket for the oil filter removal. I've also ordered a 2 ton floor jack which is on its way. I have a pair of jack stands at my hometown. Hopefully I can unscrew the drain plug myself!

Leaving all that aside, I happened to renew my PUC certificate last weekend and the place had a weighbridge as well. The car was parked atop the scale while doing the PUC check.

Shockingly, the display indicated 925 kg:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20170722_105940.jpg

With a quarter tank of fuel remaining in the car:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20170722_110140.jpg

Fuel tank capacity = 45 L, so quarter tank = 11.25 L. Assuming density of diesel is 0.832 kg/L, mass of fuel in the car is approx. 9.36 kg. So deducting that mass of fuel, 915 kg is the kerb weight? Since when did the Polo become a sub 1-ton car?!

This weighbridge appears to be perfect because when I stood over it, the display indicated 995 kg and I had checked my weight recently and it was 70 kg.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_20170702_103857.jpg

Which also means the way the car is parked doesn't matter as the load cells on the bridge are calibrated to indicate the weight of the vehicle parked over it irrespective of the direction in which it is parked.

What gives? Can someone get their Polo weighed on weighbridge? They charge like 150-200 bucks. Do note the fuel in the fuel tank before heading there for a more accurate measurement.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:58   #993
BHPian

Hi Gannu Bhai,

I Need your help in installation of vw folding orvms. I was able to order orvms from the vw dealership. But regards to the wiring scheme I am little puzzled. Do I need to replace the door controllers or can it be done using this module

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Side...8-b00ed88bf0cc

My Polo came with electrically adjustable mirrors and not the folding ones.

Last edited by sunilsoft : 2nd August 2017 at 14:00.
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:25   #994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Hi Gannu Bhai,

I Need your help in installation of vw folding orvms.
Really sorry Sunil. I haven't installed this on my car yet so I have no clue about the connector/harness differences between the powered folding type and the manually folding type, how the aftermarket folding unit will integrate with this system, how the new folding knob/switch has to be connected etc. The aftermarket unit will require splicing of the stock cables on your car and this will void any warranty on electrical parts/systems. However, I reckon, with a +12 V source you can wire up this on a test bench and check for yourself before splicing any cables on your car. Study the schematics and take a call.

EDIT: Please check the reviews thoroughly on Ali before purchasing it. One of the reviews (link) had an additional feedback which reads:

Quote:
This started failing after 1 month. It stops unfolding all of sudden. Resolded the entire circuit and started working again. Has stopped working today again. Poor quality relays it seems as I can hear the relays working, but electrical connections are poor. I had to remove the unit. Completely disappointed. :-(

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2017 at 20:31.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:46   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

What gives? Can someone get their Polo weighed on weighbridge? They charge like 150-200 bucks. Do note the fuel in the fuel tank before heading there for a more accurate measurement.
Man, this is some news. Given that VW ain't saints, I'm wondering whether VW did a Maruti or Hyundai by modifying the BIW of the Polo. Your case is even more intriguing because of the 1.6TDI's additional weight.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 2nd August 2017 at 23:47.
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:14   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Man, this is some news. Given that VW ain't saints, I'm wondering whether VW did a Maruti or Hyundai by modifying the BIW of the Polo. Your case is even more intriguing because of the 1.6TDI's additional weight.
I have heard there have been changes to the chassis as well as body panels, in the recent years, to save up on the costs. Reduction in weight is an outcome of that.
Old 4th August 2017, 08:46   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you check if the weighbridge was zeroed correctly before you moved your car onto it? The other point to check is whether your four tyres were all entirely within the weighing area.

Neither of these can be confirmed now if you didn't check at the time but if anyone weighs their car, please ensure that you do these.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 09:02   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car was parked atop the scale while doing the PUC check.

So deducting that mass of fuel, 915 kg is the kerb weight? Since when did the Polo become a sub 1-ton car?!
Woah Gannu, if that has any truth to it, we 1.6 GT TDI owners have been elevated to another esteemed club, with hatch that has astounding numbers:

Power to weight ratio - 109 bhp/ton

Torque to weight ratio - 273 NM/ton

These are more than some of the premium sedans.

I will try to weigh in my GT over this weekend and confirm the same buddy, as I am just too excited with these "Projected Numbers" now.

Quote:
Your case is even more intriguing because of the 1.6TDI's additional weight.
Ironically petroguzzler, VW would never compromise on the build quality of their machines. So, the difference between the various Polo specs were little at best:

VW Polo 1.2 TDI - 1132 kg
VW Polo 1.2 TSI - 1109 kg
VW Polo 1.5 TDI - 1158 kg
VW Polo 1.5 GT TDI - 1148 kg
VW Polo 1.6 TDI - 1157 kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I have heard there have been changes to the chassis as well as body panels, in the recent years, to save up on the costs. Reduction in weight is an outcome of that.
You are probably right halfbytecode, and as you can see from the above numbers, the current 1.5 GT TDI seems to have lost some "FAT"

But remember, Gannu's GT TDI is the old 1.6 like mine, and back in those days, we even got the spare wheel as 15" Estrada that was machine finished.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 09:23   #999
BHPian

Quote:
You are probably right halfbytecode, and as you can see from the above numbers, the current 1.5 GT TDI seems to have lost some "FAT"

But remember, Gannu's GT TDI is the old 1.6 like mine, and back in those days, we even got the spare wheel as 15" Estrada that was machine finished.
I think I should not say who told me about it, but the source is people quite familiar with these cars.

I was comparing the cars, with the launch models of 2009-2010 ish.
Old 4th August 2017, 11:38   #1000
Senior - BHPian

VW's kerb weight would be as per EU standards and would include the weight of 1 driver (assumed at 75 kg), full tank of fuel (think it's 90% full now), all fluids, tools and tyres as new. That should add more than a 100 kg to the above weight.

If there is a weight reduction in sheet metal and chassis guage it would universally apply across all models of the Polo including the Vento, Rapid etc.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:45   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Gannu,

I have checked my car (S-cross) once and it was around the figure quoted by Manufacturer. (Will search for the pic and post later)
I guess something is not right, to re-confirm you can check again at another weighing bridge.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 12:00   #1002
Team-BHP Support

Gannu,

This could be a simple offset error. Did you check if the scale was showing zero before parking the car on the scale? If the scale was not reset to zero without any load, and if the zero value was some negative number, you can expect the same results. With an offset error like this, the scale would show your weight accurately when you add it to the car.

On the other hand, if the scale was indeed reset to zero, then we have a problem
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 12:31   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gannu,

I have a few queries, which I know only you can answer!

My car is a 2011 Polo 1.2 MPI Trendline.

- My car was fitted with a Hopeless RCD 030 system by dealership from Day1. How easy it is to upgrade it to a Aftermarket 2 Din HU?

- The MID today displays only DTE, Time and Odo. Is it possible to change the DTE to some thing else, like Avg Fuel Efficiency/Temp?

On a side note, I read in one of your earlier posts that you were planning to fabricate a sump guard for your car. Were you successful in doing that?
Old 4th August 2017, 17:47   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

If there is a weight reduction in sheet metal and chassis guage it would universally apply across all models of the Polo including the Vento, Rapid etc.
As far as I know, it does. In case of Rapid, I remember comparing the doors with my 2010 Vento's, when Rapid was launched. I found them to be noticeably "lighter".

Furthermore, there have been myriads of additions to the recent cars, like the addition of sump guard, and other components, not present in the launch models. That makes the weight reduction slightly less.
Old 5th August 2017, 20:01   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
As far as I know, it does. In case of Rapid, I remember comparing the doors with my 2010 Vento's, when Rapid was launched. I found them to be noticeably "lighter".
The Rapid and Vento are made at VW's Chakan plant and since they share the same assembly line, there are limitations to bringing in major changes. Skoda could not even bring in the Rapid notchback (which is how it is sold in globally) because of this limitation.

It would be far more complex to bring in changes to the sheet metal shop and as such would not be attempted.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed