Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2015, 16:46   #16
Taffy

Re: My Alfa Romeo Story - A 156, a red V6 & my own workshop!

For someone like me I have yet to see an Alfa Romeo on Mumbai roads, yet I can feel your passion. It has always been the brand to have for me. Everything I have read and the models I have only seen abroad have fuelled my desire to have one in my life at least once. :-) Spd Tkt well done and well said. :-)

Also is Rosebud because you are a Citizen Kane fan? :-)

Last edited by Taffy : 28th February 2015 at 16:50.
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 19:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice story. I have owned seversl Alfa's and to date still own a very nice, near concours state, 1986 Spider.

I cant say I like Alfa as a brand really. They have made some awful cars. Remarkably, Alfa owners are some of the most loyal in the world. Not as if Alfa Romeo would take any notice. They do remarkable little for their owners.

Even so, I absolutely love my Spider, my 75 (which I totalled years ago) and my Sud. There is just no rational to it. From a marketing point of view that must be just about the best. People buy your crappy products, defend your brand, all because that is what Alfa ownership is all about.

My 75 spend more time at the dealer getting ixed, then with me, I kid you not. Loved that car!
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 00:53   #18
BHPian

Wow, an Alpha story. Total respect, brother. Alpha's are for the true believers in automotive history and passion. That's the one brand, I have yet to own and some day, I will. Hopefully, it will be the Alpha 4C, down the road some time. Meanwhile, please keep posting your adventures. I'm sure that the driving experience trumps all the trouble, although most people will never get it. Oh well. Like I said, true believers only.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 09:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

A very cool Alpha story. You're a true enthusiast as not everyone will be willing to maintain or keep such a troublesome beauty.

Hope you keep up this passion.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 10:24   #20

A beautiful article from an alfra romeo lover. I have been always inspired by the 156 as one of my neighbours used to own one. But then again lack of proper local mechanics in the market is maybe the reason why we dont see many Romeos even in Dubai roads.
affsal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 12:42   #21
BHPian

*Slow Claps!!*
Loved reading your Alfa story. A salute for your passion. Its really good to see somebody really passionate about their car even after many bad experiences from the car. Me too a big fan of Italian cars and their strange behaviour, like some issues sorting out themselves et al .
Its sad to hear that you're about to part with this beauty.
And man.. That's a exhaust note to die for!!
Looking forward to your Indian automobile adventures!

Sreehari
shk 8896 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:34   #22
BHPian

What a story! I am simply awestruck! Your passion and patients have come through those beautiful lines. I have been trying (hard) to have my hands on those beautiful Alfa Romeos! I am envy of you having owned two and also an exclusive garage for them. Too good to say!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:46   #23
BHPian

A big thanks to everyone here for their encouraging words and special thanks to the teambhp moderator/ editor for guiding me. Even though I have been a member here for a long time, this might be my very first post, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews Section. Thanks for sharing!

What a passionate story, straight from the heart. Rating thread a well-deserved 5 stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Really well-written and well-documented- had you made this a documentary film, I'm sure the BBC or NatGeo would have lapped this up...and you've made some moolah to get yourself another Alfa Romeo!
Thank you, I should have thought of it!!! Will send them a link to this thread ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda View Post
What a great story. And it involved my eternal favorite car the 156. As I am typing this I am looking at red 156 from my office window and thinking that only an Alfa can bring so much passion in owning a car.
Also good luck with your new automobile adventure.
Thank you, and "good luck" is something I would need in tons for my automobile ventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Wow, What a wonderful story. it really brought out your relationship with both the Alfa's. Should be titled Romeo and Juliet. .

Noticed you are from Trivandrum. So are you starting your automotive venture there. If so share the details. Maybe we can meet the next time I am there.

Yes, Romeo and Juliet would have been a more interesting title,

I am from Trivandrum and would so love to meet all the teambhpians there. In fact, I am looking forward to meeting many more fellow automobile enthusiasts in India.

FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
These lines were enough to keep me hooked, lines from a true petol head. Your post is filled with your passion for the car and the amount of patience you had to get the beauty back to working condition. You are lucky to have experienced it
Good to hear that, it takes a different kind of appreciation to resonate with events like those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Very nice story. I have owned seversl Alfa's and to date still own a very nice, near concours state, 1986 Spider.

I cant say I like Alfa as a brand really. They have made some awful cars. Remarkably, Alfa owners are some of the most loyal in the world. Not as if Alfa Romeo would take any notice. They do remarkable little for their owners.

Even so, I absolutely love my Spider, my 75 (which I totalled years ago) and my Sud. There is just no rational to it. From a marketing point of view that must be just about the best. People buy your crappy products, defend your brand, all because that is what Alfa ownership is all about.

My 75 spend more time at the dealer getting ixed, then with me, I kid you not. Loved that car!
Yes Joroen, thank you, you are the Dutch bloke in India right. In fact, it was after I read your introduction here that I thought I should definitely write about my experience with the brand. At least there was one assured reader . Unlike in Europe, we were not fortunate enough to have access to this brand in its glory days and aside from the few imports that I have never seen the only sighting I can remember is on a Hindi movie with Feroz Khan, one of the coolest bollywood stars in a GTV (1750).

Dubai too, is not hot on Alfa Romeos but then the brand did not have much presence in US either since the late 80's and UAE car culture has a lot taken from the Americans. I know of one other GT Velove here as well as a Montreal, two awesome cars made by Alfa Romeo. Was never a fan of the 75 though, it looked too boxy and 80's and to me, a lot of the appeal for Alfas are that they look good. I believe this brand attribute was revived in the late 90's with the 156, 147 etc. Even the first gen 166 with the stoop nose is a favorite of mine.

You should write about your cars here. You now know that there is more than one bhpian who wants to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
For someone like me I have yet to see an Alfa Romeo on Mumbai roads, yet I can feel your passion. It has always been the brand to have for me. Everything I have read and the models I have only seen abroad have fuelled my desire to have one in my life at least once. :-) Spd Tkt well done and well said. :-)

Also is Rosebud because you are a Citizen Kane fan? :-)
Thanks again, they are truly wonderful cars. The Rosebud moniker is because like in the movie where there is the red sledge, my Alfa has taken me to the simple joyous childhood ambition of zipping around in a fast car and like the sledge, it is red. I have seen the movie and I like it and I know that it is regarded as a classic but I am not a big fan of that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Wow, an Alpha story. Total respect, brother. Alpha's are for the true believers in automotive history and passion. That's the one brand, I have yet to own and some day, I will. Hopefully, it will be the Alpha 4C, down the road some time. Meanwhile, please keep posting your adventures. I'm sure that the driving experience trumps all the trouble, although most people will never get it. Oh well. Like I said, true believers only.
Thanks, with the kind of appreciation that you guys have shown, I will definitely post about my next automobile adventure. Did sit in a 4C while it was launched here. Like it, but don't love it enough to buy one even if I had the means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
*Slow Claps!!*
Loved reading your Alfa story. A salute for your passion. Its really good to see somebody really passionate about their car even after many bad experiences from the car. Me too a big fan of Italian cars and their strange behaviour, like some issues sorting out themselves et al .
Its sad to hear that you're about to part with this beauty.
And man.. That's a exhaust note to die for!!
Looking forward to your Indian automobile adventures!

Sreehari
Thank you Sreehari, Indeed that is an exhaust note to die for.
Old 2nd March 2015, 23:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_tkt View Post
Yes Joroen, thank you, you are the Dutch bloke in India right. In fact, it was after I read your introduction here that I thought I should definitely write about my experience with the brand. At least there was one assured reader.
You should write about your cars here. You now know that there is more than one bhpian who wants to hear itfor.
I have written about my Alfa Spider several times, like this trip:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...es-eiffel.html

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 21:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
Really well-written and well-documented- had you made this a documentary film, I'm sure the BBC or NatGeo would have lapped this up...and you've made some moolah to get yourself another Alfa Romeo!
Absolutely agree with 4nd3r50n. This story deserves to be etched in the hearts and minds of the motoring enthusiasts as it is about a brand which makes cars with passion and heartfelt love rather than robotic precision. thanks a lot for sharing this wonderfull experience.
PravStar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 12:40   #26
BHPian

Made my sunday! straight from heart man!
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 20:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have written about my Alfa Spider several times, like this trip:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...es-eiffel.html

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen, just read every word of it. And that Spider is one hell of a beaut.
Old 29th April 2015, 18:33   #28
BHPian

You could see this as an update to my Alfa story :-) http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2015...-of-dubai-uae/
spd_tkt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks