Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 13:00   #31
BHPian

Re: "Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)

Loved reading this post! I drive a '95 (W124) E200, petrol. How do I contact you please... I'd like some advice on sourcing OE spares for my vehicle, I live in Bangalore.
Old 5th December 2013, 13:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
However would W124' still be a sound investment 5 years down the line, or will they be too old by then, since owners have already started using cheaper spares etc?
A W124 if maintained properly will Last the owners Lifetime.
And as my father says Buy W124 and your Grandson will also Drive it.
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 13:24   #33
BHPian

That's very reassuring to hear. I know the cars are built to last lifetimes, but with falling prices and new owners, I felt I may have lost out on the golden period to own one of these beauties in their prime. Sincerely hope I can get my hands on one when I'm older. Thanks!
Old 5th December 2013, 13:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
Loved reading this post! I drive a '95 (W124) E200, petrol. How do I contact you please... I'd like some advice on sourcing OE spares for my vehicle, I live in Bangalore.
Hi, you should try Electra Auto in Chennai, i regularly service my W124 E220 there and they are the best in handling imported cars like the Mercedes E220.
http://www.justdial.com/Chennai/elec...am/044P5404432

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Thank you! I have the previous owner to thank for the mods. He's as crazy about his cars as I am - therefore the connect was instantaneous!
Welcome to the Merc E220 Club - Bite the Bullet
Could you please check with your friend where he had picked up the Wald Kit and the exhausts, i have been thinking of doing up my E220 for awhile since my front bumper got a small crack due to a stupid biker at a traffic stop. Would love love to get the Wald body kit and the C exhausts, Cheers

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature (link) to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts. Kindly also refrain from quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th December 2013 at 12:27. Reason: Posts merged
Old 5th December 2013, 14:26   #35
BHPian

Hi Avinash,

I want to just say that you have got a beauty for yourself. From the pictures it feels like it has been impeccably maintained and well taken care of.

From the pictures which you have posted I have an suggestion to make.
The front monogram on the bonnet seems to be rusting. Request you to change it, since it spoils the beauty of the car. The Original one should cost anywhere around Rs.1800 only.

All the very best for your future moments with this W124.

I do own a 1996 W124 which has done around 100K KMS.
vasanthjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:07   #36
BHPian

Excellent writeup sir and a wonderful buy!!
It is indeed build like a tank and feels absolutely majestic!!!

Regarding the rainbow speakers, you can try to contact BBW guys at Delhi. They are the official distributors for rainbow in India. Maybe they can help you out.

The only thing I did not like about the car are the wheels. They do not go with the car, at all.

Mukul from Delhi had these refurbished rims (stock rims of 500E?) on his W124. They looked gorgeous!!!

Try to get hold of these. I am attaching a couple of pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-img2012052400590.jpg  

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-img2012052400591.jpg  

SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:58   #37
BHPian

bIte tHe bulLet : Firstly congrats for the car. IMO this car is that still is a head turner. The way you have described the whole event is mesmerizing. This is the exact way I was feeling when recently I picked up my OHC VTec. And deep in my heart I also crave that some years down the line I would buy a W124.

Just one suggestion as SumitBahl has stated above, please try and get the rims changed, not going well with the cars look.
Old 5th December 2013, 18:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post

Mukul from Delhi had these refurbished rims (stock rims of 500E?) on his W124. They looked gorgeous!!!

Try to get hold of these. I am attaching a couple of pictures for reference.
Mukul is no longer the owner of this 300E.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 5th December 2013 at 18:48.
Old 6th December 2013, 01:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Mukul is no longer the owner of this 300E.
I heard that he sold the car. I guess you are the lucky owner. Congratulations!!!
SumitBahl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 11:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
By the way, what sized tyres are you running? They look massive!
They're 275 45 R17's. According to what someone else said on another forum - the wheel well might be able to take a 55/60 profile too - which ought to sort out a lot of the harshness. Going to go to a couple of shops to see - there certainly seems enough room left in the well to accommodate the extra cushioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_xx View Post
Avinash,

Glad the 124 is with someone who shall treasure her / him for a long long time. Looking at the snaps just made me wonder why the decision to sell was made to start with. May you have many enjoyable miles in 9717.

And of course, my compliments on a superb thread. The writer in you sure does come to the fore

Cheers
Ravi
Heh. Thanks bud!

I'm hoping 9717 will just continue to be a no nonsense, gruff little German boy for a long long time to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Whoever said that a review can't be comprehensive AND interesting, should definitely check this thread. Wonderfully written

I don't think it will be an exaggeration if I say that this is one of the most (trying to be a bit diplomatic) interesting reviews I have read on the forum.

The guessing game part shouldn't be too tough especially when you have the experience of Linea's headlamps.
Thank you for the effusive (and completely undeserving!) compliments..

I'm surprised that you find the Lineas headlamps inadequate. In the 4 odd years of our ownership (with numerous highway runs) I've never ever felt the beams lacking - the Safari's were and I had them changed pronto - but never the Linea...

Quote:
Wonderully written post, and an absolutely stunning automobile. I've always dreamt of owning a vehicle like this, and this post has only strengthened my resolve. There's something inherently special about it, that can't be put into words. However would W124' still be a sound investment 5 years down the line, or will they be too old by then, since owners have already started using cheaper spares etc?
Thank you much! As far as it being an investment - buying a W124 will always be a heart call. And no one makes investments with the heart...

The trick is to find a car where the owner has not succumbed to cheaper spares. OE Merc spares are pricey but because they last so long - they're brilliant value for money (but who's to explain that to the poseur boys??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
Thank you! Congrats on your E200!! My email is avinash@turtleonahammockfilms.com. Drop me a line and I'l also pop my number over to you...

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Pro View Post
Welcome to the Merc E220 Club - Bite the Bullet
Could you please check with your friend where he had picked up the Wald Kit and the exhausts, i have been thinking of doing up my E220 for awhile since my front bumper got a small crack due to a stupid biker at a traffic stop. Would love love to get the Wald body kit and the C exhausts, Cheers
Thanks mano.

The Carlsson's were from a set of two that came off an SL. The Wald and the wheels were with a friend of his. I'll still have a chin wag with him to see if he can pass on the deets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Excellent writeup sir and a wonderful buy!!
It is indeed build like a tank and feels absolutely majestic!!!

Regarding the rainbow speakers, you can try to contact BBW guys at Delhi. They are the official distributors for rainbow in India. Maybe they can help you out.

The only thing I did not like about the car are the wheels. They do not go with the car, at all.

Mukul from Delhi had these refurbished rims (stock rims of 500E?) on his W124. They looked gorgeous!!
Thank you!

I'm just about to drop BBW an email and see how it goes from there...thanks for the heads up though.

The wheels look surprisingly nice in the flesh. However if I can get my paws on the original AMG Monoblocs (I prefer the II's over the I's) I'd be all over them like a heat rash in Africa!!!

I actually don't care for the rims on this E300 too much, but as they say, "horses for courses"! And in any case, I think this car is now with Viraat's family over in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
bIte tHe bulLet : Firstly congrats for the car. IMO this car is that still is a head turner. The way you have described the whole event is mesmerizing. This is the exact way I was feeling when recently I picked up my OHC VTec. And deep in my heart I also crave that some years down the line I would buy a W124.

Just one suggestion as SumitBahl has stated above, please try and get the rims changed, not going well with the cars look.
Thank you for the lovely praise and congrats on the Vtech!

If the W124 itch is already there now, I'd recommend not allowing it to fester into a scratch later. Take the plunge and get yourself one now!! It's well worth it I'd say...

Thanks for all the communal love boys!

More on it's way soon..
Toodleoo!

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 6th December 2013 at 11:11. Reason: Formatting OCD!!!
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 13:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Thank you much! As far as it being an investment - buying a W124 will always be a heart call. And no one makes investments with the heart...

The trick is to find a car where the owner has not succumbed to cheaper spares. OE Merc spares are pricey but because they last so long - they're brilliant value for money (but who's to explain that to the poseur boys??)
For my first car I actually tried to convince my dad to look at a beautifully maintained 2001 BMW that was available locally for around the price of a new Swift. But nobody saw it the way I did, looking at it as old, outdated, and not worth the hassle. Shame, since it was beautifully maintained inside and out. but maybe it's good in hindsight that they didn't entertain the idea, I guess. Any BMW as your first car is a little too posh. Either way I'm delighted with my Octavia. Just have some minor work left, before I can hopefully compile an ownership report.
Old 6th December 2013, 17:27   #42
BHPian

Congrats and wish you a have a hassle free ride.
Definitely a beautiful car and excellent write up of the buying & ownership report.

A decade back, I use to drool at a same colored W124 which my college chairman had. Legacy is always something special
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 08:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
From the pictures which you have posted I have an suggestion to make.
The front monogram on the bonnet seems to be rusting. Request you to change it, since it spoils the beauty of the car. The Original one should cost anywhere around Rs.1800 only.
Hey Vasanth,

Apologies for missing out replying to you earlier... just got lost in all the messages.

You do have an eagle eye! The front (and rear) are both a little worse for wear - and is absolutely on my priority list to do - because (as I'm sure you know) there's nothing to beat a shiny 3 pointed star to lead your way through busy traffic!

Congrats on your own 124...

Quote:
For my first car I actually tried to convince my dad to look at a beautifully maintained 2001 BMW that was available locally for around the price of a new Swift. But nobody saw it the way I did, looking at it as old, outdated, and not worth the hassle. Shame, since it was beautifully maintained inside and out. but maybe it's good in hindsight that they didn't entertain the idea, I guess. Any BMW as your first car is a little too posh. Either way I'm delighted with my Octavia. Just have some minor work left, before I can hopefully compile an ownership report.
*Oh Pish pash...* You're only as posh as you behave when you step out of the car!!!

I look like a rag half the time - and not much better the rest, and the world knows, either way I don't particularly care for what they think - therefore we all live happy!

However, the Octy is another great car - and kept well, is pretty much a damned tank in her own right. Congrats and will wait to read your ownership review too...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Congrats and wish you a have a hassle free ride.
Definitely a beautiful car and excellent write up of the buying & ownership report.

A decade back, I use to drool at a same colored W124 which my college chairman had. Legacy is always something special
Thanks Bulzire.. for a moment I thought your college principal was driving an E220 and the first thought that crossed my mind was, "Aah donations!!!"

Till I realised my mistake. It was the Chairman instead!
errrr....hang on a minute!

Thank you for the kind wishes BTW.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 7th December 2013 at 08:21. Reason: Formatting OCD.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:01   #44
BHPian

Saab err, be kind to tell the meaning of "Herr Kampfpanzer" & how it is pronounced. I loathe google.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 14:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

There is an inherent beauty in old German sedans,the ordinary drab run of the mills one,which to me are oh-so-romantique! Starting with the Beemer 1600s,1800s,E21s to the mid 90s,Audi 80,100s(My favourite is the luxo barge Audi V8) and ofcourse the W Mercs.

For the W124,i can never pinpoint how a set of simple slab sided lines look so attractive.

I love that wiper,the one where it does a little pirouette in the centre to cover the maximum windscreen.

Ruddy well written review!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks