Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:02   #196
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
True, but now even they are only providing a 'donut' spare tire. It is a thin 155 tire good for only 50/80 km/kmph. Once used its life is gone and you have to buy another at exorbitant cost. So then how are the RFTs that bad?
Thats not entirely true. My C200 came with a fifth alloy and hence a full size spare!

And the life of the donut is surely more than one use; just depends on how much you use it!

Cheers
Rohan

OT: Mohit, when are you coming back?
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:34   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Thats not entirely true. My C200 came with a fifth alloy and hence a full size spare!

And the life of the donut is surely more than one use; just depends on how much you use it!

Cheers
Rohan

OT: Mohit, when are you coming back?
+1. The donut tyre is meant to be used only in emergency situations and for the shortest distance possible even then.

I wasn't aware that Mercedes and Audi come with donuts. Had always thought they had a full sized spare.

PS: not sure yet. But there is quite a group of Bhpians in NCR who have one of three germans in there stable. So lets try and organize some kind of drive next time I am in Delhi. Will let you know. Any ownership thread coming up?

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd April 2014 at 18:40.
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:52   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
True, but now even they are only providing a 'donut' spare tire. It is a thin 155 tire good for only 50/80 km/kmph. Once used its life is gone and you have to buy another at exorbitant cost. So then how are the RFTs that bad?
Its not for one use only. The 80kmph is the highest speed you can take the car to with the donut on, while the 50 is the same in mph.
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:46   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its not for one use only. The 80kmph is the highest speed you can take the car to with the donut on, while the 50 is the same in mph.
Hey did you finally try that product to repair the chip off on your Accord's windscreen? Would you recommend it?
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:17   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
PS: not sure yet. But there is quite a group of Bhpians in NCR who have one of three germans in there stable. So lets try and organize some kind of drive next time I am in Delhi. Will let you know. Any ownership thread coming up?
I am game for it bro.
Just waiting for the car to complete 1500kms before i start putting together a review. At 1300kms now, so shouldnt be a long time away!
Just been a little lazy to click snaps. Plus you guys have set the bar rather high for reviews! Need to do some work on it!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:52   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey did you finally try that product to repair the chip off on your Accord's windscreen? Would you recommend it?
Just haven't gotten down to doing it yet. Will do so by this weekend and let you know about it.
Old 25th April 2014, 16:24   #202
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't opted for any paint protection. Have never used them on any of my cars and I am of the Opinion that the quality of OEM paint is good enough for a decade or more importantly for 5-6 years after which I anyways sell off the car. However I do have opted for the 3M exterior detailing annual pack which costed me around 11-12k Rs ( don't remember exactly). One of the components of this pack is the following :
Paint Sealant Advanced: Quantity: 1
Exterior clay wiping.
Surface preparation with 3M 2000 grit.
Exterior compounding.
Exterior Polishing.
3M paint sealant application.
Bumper dressing.
Tyre cleaning.
Glass cleaning.
Dry Vacuuming.

I would personally not recommend you to opt for only the paint protection unless you have hard water supply.

This has been debated so many times in so many threads. RFTs are much more superior to regular tubeless tyres when it comes to safety. Period. There are no two ways about it. But they are also much more costlier and more prone to get damaged on our roads due to there stiffer side walls. So its upon your own personal choice.
Thanks for the response was very helpful. Couple of more pointers needed. How to set the tyre pressure monitors to work? I have a sportsline model. Is the side bolstering on the drivers seat adjustable? During delivery I reached at 7.30 pm hence no training could be done by the SA. Please help.
Old 25th April 2014, 16:38   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Thanks for the response was very helpful. Couple of more pointers needed. How to set the tyre pressure monitors to work? I have a sportsline model. Is the side bolstering on the drivers seat adjustable? During delivery I reached at 7.30 pm hence no training could be done by the SA. Please help.
Tyre pressure monitor can be set from iDrive, go to vehicle information and you will see a tab for tyre pressure reset. After filling air, while the ignition is on and the car is at a standstill press initialization. Give it about 15 seconds, you will notice the tyres on the car displayed on the iDrive turning green. You are good to go.

As for the side bolsters, yes they can be adjusted. There will be another 2 way button on top of the switch which makes the seat go back and forth, that is for side bolsters.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 07:56   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Tyre pressure monitor can be set from iDrive, go to vehicle information and you will see a tab for tyre pressure reset. After filling air, while the ignition is on and the car is at a standstill press initialization. Give it about 15 seconds, you will notice the tyres on the car displayed on the iDrive turning green. You are good to go.

As for the side bolsters, yes they can be adjusted. There will be another 2 way button on top of the switch which makes the seat go back and forth, that is for side bolsters.
Thanks for the info.. You guys are amazing at helping newbies. God bless you.
Old 4th May 2014, 23:56   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Parents took the car to Jaipur today. While returning back dad overtook a truck and in the process the car's left side went down the road on the gravel. No underbody hit or anything. But right after that they apparently started hearing some "khat khat" sound and car started jerking. They have parked it on the road side now. No visible damage to the engine bay area or the tyres. No warning lights have popped up. No oil leakage. The gears are engaging and reverse seems to be smooth but in D mode the sound comes back and its jerking. Called the BMW helpline and they are in the process of arranging a flat bed and taxi from Gurgaon. These guys are almost 150km away at some small village called pragpura. So pretty much its going to take the whole night. Have told them to put the car in neutral and switch on the AC and try to relax. No other option.

What can be the possible fault? I am really clueless as there are no warning lights whatsoever. The car has just run 4000 kms. Feeling horrible as this was the first time Dad took the BMW out on a highway trip (on my instance). Otherwise he usually would have taken the Innova with the driver. :(

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th May 2014 at 23:58.
Old 5th May 2014, 00:48   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parents took the car to Jaipur today. While returning back dad overtook a truck and in the process the car's left side went down the road on the gravel. No underbody hit or anything. But right after that they apparently started hearing some "khat khat" sound and car started jerking. They have parked it on the road side now. No visible damage to the engine bay area or the tyres. No warning lights have popped up. No oil leakage. The gears are engaging and reverse seems to be smooth but in D mode the sound comes back and its jerking. Called the BMW helpline and they are in the process of arranging a flat bed and taxi from Gurgaon. These guys are almost 150km away at some small village called pragpura. So pretty much its going to take the whole night. Have told them to put the car in neutral and switch on the AC and try to relax. No other option.

What can be the possible fault? I am really clueless as there are no warning lights whatsoever. The car has just run 4000 kms. Feeling horrible as this was the first time Dad took the BMW out on a highway trip (on my instance). Otherwise he usually would have taken the Innova with the driver. :(
Most likely some stone chips got stuck in the brake caliper. This is one of the reason my head is trying to dominate my heart over my next car purchase.
iTNerd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 00:54   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok guys a small update:

Dad called the highway patrol people also and they just arrived. They narrowed down the issue to a bent rim on the front left tyre, the side which went down the road. The bent rim is interferring with the rod ( tie rod is it?) when it comes in contact and hence at every full revolution of the tyre there is that noise + jerk. And this is the reason why no warning light has come on.

Myquery now is :

The tow truck is still another 1 and half hours away and so is the taxi. The space saver is in the car. I have two options:
1. Let the car be carried on a flat bed and parents can come in the taxi.
2. Change the tyre, drive at speed of 60 using the space saver and they can then drive the car home and take it to the workshop tomorrow.

The donut tyre has no limit of distance right? Just that the speed should not exceed 80 kmph ( I will tell them to stick to 60 only). Which option should I choose?
Old 5th May 2014, 01:09   #208
Senior - BHPian

Option #2, if you can father can manage to replace/switch to space saver on his own.
iTNerd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 01:13   #209
Team-BHP Support

Of course switch to the space saver and drive the car home. There is no limit on the distance with the spare, it will last as long as a normal tyre.

Shows how stiff the runflat walls are. All the damage went to the rim. I have a hunch that the runflat will be cracked too, maybe from the inside.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 01:15   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Change the tyre, drive at speed of 60 using the space saver and they can then drive the car home and take it to the workshop tomorrow.
If the above analysis by highway patrol is correct then, Option 2 should be preferred. No point waiting for flat bed.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks