Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 04:25   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So the claim has been passed for both the rims. I have decided to let the windscreen be like that only since the chip off is not growing. The claim for that had been passed too but the workshop people do not have the rain sensor in stock which would also need replacement with the windshield. Hence getting only the rims changed since I do not want the car to stay with them for long. According to them the tyres are all fine and no need of any change.
That's great news. Wishing you all the best in your enjoyment of the bavarian. Can you tell me the ideal tyre pressure I should maintain with tubeless 225 50 r 17. There's a difference between seating 3 and 5. In real world conditions it becomes a task to keep varying the tyre pressures constantly. What do you suggest?
Old 9th May 2014, 08:03   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
That's great news. Wishing you all the best in your enjoyment of the bavarian. Can you tell me the ideal tyre pressure I should maintain with tubeless 225 50 r 17. There's a difference between seating 3 and 5. In real world conditions it becomes a task to keep varying the tyre pressures constantly. What do you suggest?
To be frank I have been maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 psi in the back regardless of the load. There are never 5 people in the car or any luggage. So works fine with me and the ride is quite soft too.
Old 9th May 2014, 14:17   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

An example of high cost of manintenance of these German cars. The SA is of the opinion that the car would need alignment and balancing after changing the rims since it went in a pothole and they would need to assess for any fault with the above. The cost of the same? A cool Rs. 4200 + tax. And this would not be covered under Insurance/BMW Secure/BSI.
Also there is the 2000 Rs insurance processing charges. And god forbid if they find the tyre to be defective after changing the rims then I would also have to bear 25% of the cost for that since the tyre ( any new tyre) will fall into the first bracket. That will again be approximately Rs. 6000.
Old 9th May 2014, 14:43   #244
BHPian

Quote:
An example of high cost of manintenance of these German cars. The SA is of the opinion that the car would need alignment and balancing after changing the rims since it went in a pothole and they would need to assess for any fault with the above. The cost of the same? A cool Rs. 4200 + tax. And this would not be covered under Insurance/BMW Secure/BSI.
Also there is the 2000 Rs insurance processing charges. And god forbid if they find the tyre to be defective after changing the rims then I would also have to bear 25% of the cost for that since the tyre ( any new tyre) will fall into the first bracket. That will again be approximately Rs. 6000.
Can you get alignment done outside?
Old 9th May 2014, 16:33   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you get alignment done outside?
Well he told me that for a routine service, you are free to get it done from outside. But right now they need to check the car for any suspension noise or any other damage and that will be possible only when they can do the alignment and balancing. I know its a load of sugarcoated BS but sometimes for your peace of mind its better to opt for this. Atleast then if there is any problem at a later stage, I can always take up the issue with them without any scope for a doubt.
Old 9th May 2014, 18:57   #246
BHPian

Quote:
To be frank I have been maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 psi in the back regardless of the load. There are never 5 people in the car or any luggage. So works fine with me and the ride is quite soft too.
Then why are you driving a sedan sir, Bavarian or not? I think I know the answer. Maybe say a Mini would've been better! (pardon the joke! kindly pleess.)

Enjoy this great drive!
Old 10th May 2014, 23:33   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly disappointed with the speed of service at BMW as of now. Its been a week now and the car has still not been returned. This when the only damage is to the rims, changing which should be a 5 minutes job. Giving 2 days for the insurance approval to come, there is no reason for them to keep my car a minute more than that. But alas. The current status report is that their machine which they use to change the rims has malfunctioned since last 2 days and still not back to working condition. So meanwhile I gave them the go ahead to change the windshield ( which they finally confirmed that they had in stock). The machine would hopefully be functional on monday now and the work on my car can progress. Work pending:
1. Change both rims.
2. Check for any tyre damage after changing the rims ( see basically if there is any air leakage).
3. Balancing and alignment.

God knows how long they will take to do those 3 simple things. God forbid if they decide to change the tyre too then the wait will be longer since they are saying that there RFT stock is at Bombay port and in transit.

Really makes me wonder if the damages had been more severe then how much time would they take to repair the car. When you are paying approximately Rs 5000 for just balancing and alignment, you atleast expect it to be carried out fast!

Last edited by drmohitg : 10th May 2014 at 23:34.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 13:18   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally Dad took the delivery of the car today. The following was replaced in the end:
1. Both left side front and rear rims.
2. Front windscreen.

Both of the above were covered by Insurance company but I had to file these as separate claims and hence had to pay Rs 2k as processing charges for both the things separately.

Other than this, the following work was done:
1. Wheel alignment and balancing: Rs 5k
2. Car washing: Rs 1200 approx
3. Weights added

Total bill paid by me: Rs. 10850
Total bill paid by Insurance: Rs. 1.48L

The left rear tyre had a puncture and BMW SA suggested replacing that too. I didn't want to pay almost another 6k for that and hence told them to repair the puncture and let it be. It doesn't make any sense to me to replace the tyre for a single puncture which is such a common occurrence on our roads.
Old 17th May 2014, 22:45   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Finally Dad took the delivery of the car today. The following was replaced in the end:
1. Both left side front and rear rims.
2. Front windscreen.

Both of the above were covered by Insurance company but I had to file these as separate claims and hence had to pay Rs 2k as processing charges for both the things separately.

Other than this, the following work was done:
1. Wheel alignment and balancing: Rs 5k
2. Car washing: Rs 1200 approx
3. Weights added

Total bill paid by me: Rs. 10850
Total bill paid by Insurance: Rs. 1.48L

The left rear tyre had a puncture and BMW SA suggested replacing that too. I didn't want to pay almost another 6k for that and hence told them to repair the puncture and let it be. It doesn't make any sense to me to replace the tyre for a single puncture which is such a common occurrence on our roads.
Sorry about trouble. I thought alignment and balancing is part of a tyre replacement. As there is no way a new rim tyre can be put without alignment and balancing. after any accident alignment has to be done. I just had my ecosport tyre replaced under insurance and the rim repaired by the insurance. The entire alignment and balancing was done 2 times by ford. Infact when I insisted for the alignment report they had to do it again to prove that. the balancing was done again too after the rim was repaired. Talk to the insurance company for that.
why do you say 6000 for the tyre replacement? how much was the wear and whats the cost of a new tyre?
Old 17th May 2014, 23:02   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
I thought alignment and balancing is part of a tyre replacement. As there is no way a new rim tyre can be put without alignment and balancing. after any accident alignment has to be done.
why do you say 6000 for the tyre replacement? how much was the wear and whats the cost of a new tyre?
I too had along arguement with the SA over this. But he told me that the alignment and balancing are not covered by Insurance and is only done is cases of accidents and this is not being treated as one. Finally lost the patience and told him to go ahead with it, more so because of lack of clear knowledge about this.

Regarding the tyre, they told me my tyre will fall into the first category where I would need to pay 25% of the cost. So I a guessing a brand new RFT is around 25-30k ( not sure). The SA estimated it will cost around 6k for the tyre. It didn't make any sense to me to pay that much.
Old 24th May 2014, 21:06   #251
BHPian

Guys need help again my 320 d has done 7800 kms. The car was stationery for the last 6 days started it today showing the low battery warning. The warning said some of the electrical functions were turned off. I drove it for 10 kms at night. After that the warning has changed to charge battery. I am 290 kms from a service station. What should I do continue driving it as I do in other vehicles and hope for the battery to be charged again with the use? I don't have road side assistance due to tubeless tyres at least that's what my dealership told me . The car is starting and working fine other than the warning. What should I do?
Old 24th May 2014, 21:13   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys need help again my 320 d has done 7800 kms. The car was stationery for the last 6 days started it today showing the low battery warning. The warning said some of the electrical functions were turned off. I drove it for 10 kms at night. After that the warning has changed to charge battery. I am 290 kms from a service station. What should I do continue driving it as I do in other vehicles and hope for the battery to be charged again with the use? I don't have road side assistance due to tubeless tyres at least that's what my dealership told me . The car is starting and working fine other than the warning. What should I do?
As long as the car starts you may drive it wherever, but keep it running till your destination, keep auto start stop off. Once your engine is on, it doesn't matter if the battery is low, but if you switch it off then it may not have enough juice to start again.

Of course you have roadside assistance, the dealership is talking nonsense. Your warranty is not void because of your tire change, and even if warranty is void for any reason you pay for RSA separately so I don't think that should be affected in any way.
Old 24th May 2014, 21:25   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
As long as the car starts you may drive it wherever, but keep it running till your destination, keep auto start stop off. Once your engine is on, it doesn't matter if the battery is low, but if you switch it off then it may not have enough juice to start again.

Of course you have roadside assistance, the dealership is talking nonsense. Your warranty is not void because of your tire change, and even if warranty is void for any reason you pay for RSA separately so I don't think that should be affected in any way.
Thanks for the quick response you guys are a lifeline. have come for a party and hope it will start again when I am ready to leave cheers!
Old 25th May 2014, 12:36   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

The car is starting at every attempt. Took it for a drive of 15 kms today without Ac.Can I hope for the battery to return to normal charge with driving or have to visit a dealership? The warning is still there.
Old 25th May 2014, 12:56   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car is starting at every attempt. Took it for a drive of 15 kms today without Ac.Can I hope for the battery to return to normal charge with driving or have to visit a dealership? The warning is still there.
Take it for a longish drive, not 10 and 15 kms. After that see if the message goes away, if not its probably best to show your dealer. If you have BSI it should be covered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks