Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2014, 15:36   #256
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
The car is starting at every attempt. Took it for a drive of 15 kms today without Ac.Can I hope for the battery to return to normal charge with driving or have to visit a dealership? The warning is still there.
whats crap that tubeless tyre means that RSA is not covered. Please tell me exactly how old is your car? The only warranty you might lose is the suspension warranty. If your car is more than 2 years old then you might be in trouble.
I think the battery separately has probably 2 year warranty. If its within that period then you are in luck.
Battery is never covered in BSI. Default RSA is covered for 2 years only then you need to purchase a RSA with your insurance or warranty.
What you need to do is got to any battery shop and check the exact voltage of the battery with a voltmeter. This is done in idle and started condition. If its within or more than the limit then you are good. I think it should be around or less than 12 V when cold and more than 12 V when running. The maximum battery is used while starting so it has to be calibrated. Usually they have voltage testers and give a printout of the same.
you can ask for warranty if the battery is in trouble and less than 2 years old. The battery warranty is separate from the car.
If your battery comes out ok or somewhat borderline take it to BMW if you are under warranty. Even if it shows ok at that time after long drive you can ask them to check the error codes as proof of the trouble.
Then ask for warranty. If its out of warranty then you will have to change the battery probably. Otherwise you will be in trouble sometime. You cannot jumpstart this car by pushing. You need to use a jumpstart cable.
I keep a cable for starting the car from another cars battery. You should do that and keep using the car if out of warranty. Then you wont need any RSA as they will also jumpstart your car with a cable.
Good luck. Do let us know the values of the battery for information.
Old 25th May 2014, 15:51   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
whats crap that tubeless tyre means that RSA is not covered. Please tell me exactly how old is your car? The only warranty you might lose is the suspension warranty. If your car is more than 2 years old then you might be in trouble.
I think the battery separately has probably 2 year warranty. If its within that period then you are in luck.
Battery is never covered in BSI. Default RSA is covered for 2 years only then you need to purchase a RSA with your insurance or warranty.
What you need to do is got to any battery shop and check the exact voltage of the battery with a voltmeter. This is done in idle and started condition. If its within or more than the limit then you are good. I think it should be around or less than 12 V when cold and more than 12 V when running. The maximum battery is used while starting so it has to be calibrated. Usually they have voltage testers and give a printout of the same.
you can ask for warranty if the battery is in trouble and less than 2 years old. The battery warranty is separate from the car.
If your battery comes out ok or somewhat borderline take it to BMW if you are under warranty. Even if it shows ok at that time after long drive you can ask them to check the error codes as proof of the trouble.
Then ask for warranty. If its out of warranty then you will have to change the battery probably. Otherwise you will be in trouble sometime. You cannot jumpstart this car by pushing. You need to use a jumpstart cable.
I keep a cable for starting the car from another cars battery. You should do that and keep using the car if out of warranty. Then you wont need any RSA as they will also jumpstart your car with a cable.
Good luck. Do let us know the values of the battery for information.
Hey bought the car in February this year. The dealership told me as I have changed the tyres ( I asked the dealer to do it before delivery to same spec Yokohama tubeless) later they conveyed I won't get RSA or BMW secure advance. I totally get that fact that my tyres won't be covered but as you guys have repeatedly told me the rest of the benefits should be available. let's email BMW for more clarification on the same. Do you have their email address? or has anyone received an answer to a similar question?
arihant jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 16:05   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Hey bought the car in February this year. The dealership told me as I have changed the tyres ( I asked the dealer to do it before delivery to same spec Yokohama tubeless) later they conveyed I won't get RSA or BMW secure advance. I totally get that fact that my tyres won't be covered but as you guys have repeatedly told me the rest of the benefits should be available. let's email BMW for more clarification on the same. Do you have their email address? or has anyone received an answer to a similar question?
Would suggest you display your place of living in your information so people who live around can suggest comment. Where are you located? i could tell you about delhi ncr.
You don't have to worry about RSA or secure advance as it has nothing to do with warranty of the car. Since you changed tyres (which i personally feel is not a sensible thing to do as you will be without any 5th tyre or the protection of the runflat) you might void the warranty of the suspension. That too if they notice it or its related to the tyre. hope you got the same specifications?
You don't even need to argue about this with the dealer. You car is brand new and in warranty. Just go there and ask for a battery test. They will check it with computer in all conditions, cold, during starting and idling.
will give you a printout. Discuss it with the engineer and ask them to check the error codes. That's all. You car is under a 2 year standard warranty. The battery is also under warranty. BMW will change the battery from the battery vendor.
Educate and inform yourself of the terms secure advance, BSI , standard warranty, BSI ultimate etc so when the time comes you don't have to listen to such ignorant statements like "tyre changing will affect battery warranty".
If you dealer is being adamant then you can mail BMW. you can get the email on the indian website.They have a corporate office etc.
Before you get into all this its possible the battery was low before and got charged and is ok now.
this can happen if you make short trips only but i doubt it as you have driven a decent amount in 5 months. But make sure you get the values checked.
I get my battery values checked during each service and monsoon checkup.
And yes i have clearly discussed changing tyres affecting warranty before i bought the car. An this information is per that discussion.

Last edited by sunny1974 : 25th May 2014 at 16:06.
Old 25th May 2014, 17:18   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
Would suggest you display your place of living in your information so people who live around can suggest comment. Where are you located? i could tell you about delhi ncr.
You don't have to worry about RSA or secure advance as it has nothing to do with warranty of the car. Since you changed tyres (which i personally feel is not a sensible thing to do as you will be without any 5th tyre or the protection of the runflat) you might void the warranty of the suspension. That too if they notice it or its related to the tyre. hope you got the same specifications?
You don't even need to argue about this with the dealer. You car is brand new and in warranty. Just go there and ask for a battery test. They will check it with computer in all conditions, cold, during starting and idling.
will give you a printout. Discuss it with the engineer and ask them to check the error codes. That's all. You car is under a 2 year standard warranty. The battery is also under warranty. BMW will change the battery from the battery vendor.
Educate and inform yourself of the terms secure advance, BSI , standard warranty, BSI ultimate etc so when the time comes you don't have to listen to such ignorant statements like "tyre changing will affect battery warranty".
If you dealer is being adamant then you can mail BMW. you can get the email on the indian website.They have a corporate office etc.
Before you get into all this its possible the battery was low before and got charged and is ok now.
this can happen if you make short trips only but i doubt it as you have driven a decent amount in 5 months. But make sure you get the values checked.
I get my battery values checked during each service and monsoon checkup.
And yes i have clearly discussed changing tyres affecting warranty before i bought the car. An this information is per that discussion.
I live in Gorkhpur U.P. Located about 290 kms from Lucknow. The dealer is speed motorwagen and recently opened. The decision to go in for tubeless was considering the number of tyre bursts I would have to contend with given the road conditions that are prevalent here. Have a donut spare tyre and have a great experience vis a vis my friends who stuck to rft. Thank you so much for the clarification on the same. it's a pleasure to be part of this forum otherwise I would feel lost in owning such an intricate machine. Thank you so much for helping me each time I have a query.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2014 at 11:17.
Old 25th May 2014, 21:50   #260
BHPian

Quote:
I live in Gorkhpur U.P. Located about 290 kms from Lucknow. The dealer is speed motorwagen and recently opened. The decision to go in for tubeless was considering the number of tyre bursts I would have to contend with given the road conditions that are prevalent here. Have a donut spare tyre and have a great experience vis a vis my friends who stuck to rft. Thank you so much for the clarification on the same. it's a pleasure to be part of this forum otherwise I would feel lost in owning such an intricate machine. Thank you so much for helping me each time I have a query.
You are welcome. that's how we all learn something new and share experiences. There is a thanks button below each post if you feel some information is useful. Im sure the new dealer would be more than helpful to give quality service to you.
Old 28th May 2014, 15:05   #261
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the inputs. The battery needed a charging that's all. The dealership was happy to do it for free. Lesson learnt the car needs to be started at least once in 3 days. A big thank you to drmohit for the use of his forum.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:23   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the inputs. The battery needed a charging that's all. The dealership was happy to do it for free. Lesson learnt the car needs to be started at least once in 3 days. A big thank you to drmohit for the use of his forum.
Good to know that the issues is sorted.

Are you sure that the car has to be started once in 3 days? That will be a pain as I have a 15 days long trip ahead of me during which the car will be sitting in garage.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:52   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Good to know that the issues is sorted.

Are you sure that the car has to be started once in 3 days? That will be a pain as I have a 15 days long trip ahead of me during which the car will be sitting in garage.
I have driven it 8000 kms in three months. Left it parked for 6 days only and got a low battery warning. This is the only conclusion I can draw.
Old 28th May 2014, 18:41   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

No I don't think so it needs to be started every 3 days. My car has also been parked many times for 10days or more and there hasn't been any issue till date. But as a precaution I make sure it sees some action every ten days or at the maximum two weeks.
Old 1st June 2014, 08:30   #265
BHPian

Guys problem is back in just two days. The car is not starting now. Battery is almost dead. I am 250 kms away from the dealership. Is it possible to take out the battery and charge it without the car having to go to the dealership?
Old 1st June 2014, 15:42   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Battery is never covered in BSI.
Looks wrong to me , I got mine changed in 4th Year of ownership that too with an adverse driver profile .

Quote:
Guys problem is back in just two days. The car is not starting now. Battery is almost dead
It's safe to Jumpstart using any other battery , but don't attach cables directly to your car's Battery , there are special terminals in engine bay .

Starting every 3rd day or whatever is not correct , my cars remain parked for over 4-6 weeks & I have never faced such troubles . There must be something wrong in either Battery or electrical's - some extra discharge that needs to be checked . Ideally Dealership should send assistance at your place .

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st June 2014 at 15:44.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:11   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks wrong to me , I got mine changed in 4th Year of ownership that too with an adverse driver profile .
I got a portable charger from exide. The battery showed 11.1 amp which is low. After 4 hours of charging still not starting. Some of the electricals have now started working. I must be doing something wrong while switching it off. What is the actual procedure to see that none of the electricals are left on. My mobile charger was always in the socket. That's all I can think of.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post and avoid quoting images / videos in your reply.

Quoting a full, long post with images / videos inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd June 2014 at 11:20.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:21   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got a portable charger from exide. The battery showed 11.1 amp which is low. After 4 hours of charging still not starting. Some of the electricals have now started working. I must be doing something wrong while switching it off. What is the actual procedure to see that none of the electricals are left on. my mobile charger was always in the socket. That's all I can think of.
Don't leave anything in the socket. Leaving even your charger in the socket and not using the car for a few days can drain the battery.
Old 7th June 2014, 16:37   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Don't leave anything in the socket. Leaving even your charger in the socket and not using the car for a few days can drain the battery.
The charger was the culprit. I read the terms and conditions of the BMW secure advance it becomes void if the tyre numbers mentioned in the policy don't match the ones on the car which sadly is my case.
Old 8th June 2014, 17:20   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The charger was the culprit. I read the terms and conditions of the BMW secure advance it becomes void if the tyre numbers mentioned in the policy don't match the ones on the car which sadly is my case.
Can you please elaborate on that?

Most Viewed