Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 23:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Congrats!! Excellent photos!! Car looks smashing!!

Does the IRVM display compass?

Does the ignition key selects driver seat / mirror positions by default?

I had rented a 328i for a week in the US. We had gone on a round trip to LA from San Jose Via Lake Tahoe - Yosemite - Death valley - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon. I was behind the wheel for about 1000 miles. Drive was fantastic!

All the best. Drive safe!!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 01:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ah! So finally the report is up.

Have closely followed your search for a new vehicle on the other thread and believe me, this is the best decision you could take.

The baseline 320D is indeed a VFM product. You are living my dream man!

Congratulations on the purchase. I know you would keep the thread updated but please post as many pictures as possible, no one would ever get bored of seeing this beauty.

Take Care and Drive Safe!
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 03:05   #33
BHPian

Congrats drmohitg for owning one of the most well rounded vehicle both in terms of looks and performance. Excellent write up especially the first post and the picture to go with it makes me want to throw all practicalities of life out of the window and just buy this car!

Like many here I too can't get over the fact that you actually started off with a Ritz in your short list!

And I loved your sarcasm towards Toyota and have to agree that they have gone absolutely nuts with the pricing on the Fortuner and Innova.

The pictures are too few. Come on man this car deserves way more pictures especially of the interiors.

Also just curious what is the price difference between this and the variant that comes with the sunroof?

Have fun and drive safe.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 07:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congrats!! Excellent photos!! Car looks smashing!!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Does the IRVM display compass?
No I don't think so.

Quote:
Does the ignition key selects driver seat / mirror positions by default?
Yes this feature is indeed present but haven't configured it yet. There are so many small features which can be activated and I need some time with the car to configure them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post

Like many here I too can't get over the fact that you actually started off with a Ritz in your short list!

And I loved your sarcasm towards Toyota and have to agree that they have gone absolutely nuts with the pricing on the Fortuner and Innova.
Haha indeed thats true. Even I had no idea that I will get to drive a BMW so soon in life. Had always thought it will be the first car that I would be buying with my own money. But then life had other plans and am not complaining.

And Toyota really needs to keep the prices in check. Even yesterday me and Dad were coming back from a drive in the 320d and came across a Fortuner at a signal and dad pointed out that its a waste of money to spend 27L on this truck. Just imagine for practically 5L more you are getting the BMW with its brand, driving dynamics and features. This makes the fortuner look like a day light robbery!

Quote:
Also just curious what is the price difference between this and the variant that comes with the sunroof?
Approximately 3.5-4L. The difference in features didn't appeal to me that much in order to pay 4L more. Infact with the addition of the Xenons and Coronas and the iDrive, the base variant makes most sense.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 07:54   #35
BHPian

If wishes were horses (or in this case Beemers)... I sorely miss mine which I had to leave behind when I moved to India a few months ago. In my case I went from a Beemer to a Micra Enjoy your car, as I'm sure you will!
Old 1st December 2013, 12:33   #36
BHPian

Hey Mohit, congratulations on the Bavarian family member. Excellent choice there, I absolutely adore this car. I just have a few queries regarding the 3 series base model and would really appreciate it if you could take some time to answer these:

1. I was checking on carwale.com and the base model seems to have fabric upholstery but yours has leather. Is that something you opted for or does it come standard now?

2. Same question but now I'm wondering about projector headlights. Coz I thought the base model came with conventional headlights.

3. Finally do you have any soft copy of the brochure of the 3 series that may be you could mail me if it's not too much trouble.

Last edited by Somu2009 : 1st December 2013 at 12:40.
Old 1st December 2013, 16:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post
Hey Mohit, congratulations on the Bavarian family member. Excellent choice there, I absolutely adore this car. I just have a few queries regarding the 3 series base model and would really appreciate it if you could take some time to answer these:

1. I was checking on carwale.com and the base model seems to have fabric upholstery but yours has leather. Is that something you opted for or does it come standard now?

2. Same question but now I'm wondering about projector headlights. Coz I thought the base model came with conventional headlights.

3. Finally do you have any soft copy of the brochure of the 3 series that may be you could mail me if it's not too much trouble.
Hey the leather seats are now standard but its not that high grade leather ( Nappa is it called?).

Same with the projector and corona rings. The earlier cars didn't have them but from mid 2013 they made them standard on base model too and increased the prices by around 50k. The older cars workout xenons ( most dealers have them in stock, some even 2012 makes) carry a higher discount of almost 2.5l more.

See the BMW 3 series official review thread. The latest specifications sheet is attached there. I am currently in train going back to Vadodara :(. Its tough this time leaving the beauty behind
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 16:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post

Let me answer on his behalf as he would probably be enjoying his ultimat3 driving machine, haha!

1. BMW 3-Series with fabric seats Carwale surely needs to work on the informations they provide. Base lines always had the sensatic leather seats whereas the Sport and Luxury Line has the Dakota leather.

2. A couple of months back the xenons were made standard on the 320d base line. The 320i still comes with conventional halogens.

3. The 3 series brochure? Here it is.
3 series with Xenon.pdf
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 21:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats drmohitg!

"Every grain of rice has a name on it, of the person who is going to eat it."

This is very evident in your BMW esp the interactions with your dad and the other family members: your suggestions, your dad's decisions...

And of course, kudos to TBHP.

And finally, let me congratulate myself for not considering for the TFort when I bought the XUV. The Toyota reliability was a big lure, but we dropped it within 30 minutes just because the price is nearly "BMW-territory".

No offences TFort owners,
sandeepmdas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:01   #40
BHPian

Congratulations on your BMW! Don't forget to try the small button feeling (don't know the technical term for that) in the accelerator - just press the accelerator completely when you have an empty road till you feel you have pressed a button - I am sure you will feel like an aeroplane ready to take off.

BMW comes with lots of features which are not mentioned in the brochure or even the SA will miss out. E.g.: If you suddenly apply brake when cruising, all the indicators will turn on; You can program your BMW to start AC at a particular time without having to turn on the car; Service schedule is determined by the car and not the showroom...

Unfortunately because of low and uncomfortable seating for rear passenger, my dad is planning to sell off his 2012 BMW (top end) and go for an SUV.
akshay81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:11   #41
BHPian

Congratulations Mohit on your latest possesion

Hope you are enjoying every minute of it.

It was great going from Ritz >>>>>> BMW

Don't you think its high time you change your D.P. with the beemer
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:24   #42
BANNED

Congratulations Mohit!

So finally you have decided the car you wanted.

I was really expecting the Toyota Fortuner but there comes the 3!

The car looks sexy and the pictures posted have highlighted the thread a level up!

Have a great ownership ahead and will keep an eye on the updates and service experiences on the 3!

Congrats!

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:01   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

And finally, let me congratulate myself for not considering for the TFort when I bought the XUV. The Toyota reliability was a big lure, but we dropped it within 30 minutes just because the price is nearly "BMW-territory".
+1. The Fortuner is a great vehicle no doubt and the sales charts show it too. But after the recent hikes it has come dangerously close to the Germans. And in that scenario unless you need the Fortuner for its off-roading capabilities, it makes little sense in going for it. The BMW gives you a lot more at that price even if you leave the badge value aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
BMW comes with lots of features which are not mentioned in the brochure or even the SA will miss out. E.g.: If you suddenly apply brake when cruising, all the indicators will turn on; You can program your BMW to start AC at a particular time without having to turn on the car; Service schedule is determined by the car and not the showroom...

Unfortunately because of low and uncomfortable seating for rear passenger, my dad is planning to sell off his 2012 BMW (top end) and go for an SUV.
Yea trying to understand all those multitude of features. Will slowly configure them all.

Sad that you are letting your BMW go. The seating is on the lower side for sure but it isn't that bad. My grandmother travelled in the rear seat without any complaints.
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new 'machine'! Lovely pics. Hope you will have endless hours of pleasurable motoring. From Ritz to Fortuner/XUV.This surely has to be a unique case.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:24   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the beemer acquisition, nice one to round off the garage with the 'Captain of the fleet'. Wishing you miles of smiles and drives with the big b

That is one amazing journey from Ritz (in thought only), Fortuner/XUV, Merc/Volvo to the BMW - the destination in this case is equally important and worth the journey!

I had experienced the 328i few months ago during a visit to the US (my friend bought it recently) and it was outstandingly awesome to say the least.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd December 2013 at 07:25.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks