Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 09:07   #151
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The car has started showing that the next service is due in 7000 kms. This message flashes whenever you start the car. Currently the odo stands at 2500 kms. I would say that is pretty early in terms of number of kms run. But with BSI I am not worried .
The individual parameters are all OK according to the idrive though.
The usual distance to service/time is shown all the time I start. The service is condition based. The engine uses many parameters including engine oil level and density etc to evaluate if you need a service. The time period is 18 months or 15000 km under BSI. It may become less if you have frequent short trips as the engine is not properly warmed. The 1st time I had a bsi service they reluctantly did it in 1 year and 9000km. This time they said you need to wait till you get a warning.
Also make sure they reset the indicator properly. Also check the oil level as it is recommended if the service interval is long to top up the oil as it introduces new lubricants in the oil and increases engine oil life and performance.I did it once during a checkup and was covered under BSI only on insisting. The person said you need engine oil top up. I asked them to do it. when they figured it was under BSI the service advisor came and told me its not required sir. Again I blasted them and asked them that how come suddenly it is not required after the engineer confirmed and said it is less even though not enough to light the sensor.The service engineer even without consulting the engineer was trying to act smart. Eventually they had to do it.
Remember that BSI is not really a piece of mind. During the 1st service they 1st started changing everything including ac filters etc but as soon as they found out its under BSI they said you don't need to change sir. After I blasted them they apologized and changed everything. They actually fleece BSI customers by not doing the required work and you sit back and relax thinking you have BSI. So make sure you go to the service area and ensure everything is done properly after all you have paid for it. Remember it is not easy to get work done from anyone including BMW after you have paid for it. I even complained in the feedback regarding this. This year I called up after a year and asked the person for an service appointment citing its been more than a year. She checked my Vin number and fixed and appointment and told me since its been more than a year. I told her it was BSI. On reaching there they checked the car and said its not time yet. So I said you do differential treatment for customers who have paid already? why did you call me here if it was not required? I clearly told them i have no warnings on the car.I escalated the matter and they apologised. Checked the filter etc and it was totally clogged. Got it air cleaned though it is not really recommended. The fact is in indian conditions service is required after every 1 year minimum with so much dust and start stop traffic. So even with BSI you need to check things carefully.

Last edited by sunny1974 : 8th March 2014 at 09:13.
sunny1974 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 09:45   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
The usual distance to service/time is shown all the time I start. The service is condition based.
The fact is in indian conditions service is required after every 1 year minimum with so much dust and start stop traffic. So even with BSI you need to check things carefully.
I guess in our country everyone is out there looking to fleece you. Absolutely zero work ethics. But from my buying experience I had a feeling that BMW was quite forthcoming in resolving any issue you might have. For instance when they sent me a survey regarding my buying experience , I rated everything as excellent except one issue with the RTO that I faced due to the dealer's laziness. To my surprise within half an hour the SA called back saying that they have deducted his commission/incentive on my car since I didn't give a 10 on 10 rating overall. Another episode was regarding confusion on BSI rates since one dealer had the rate list with tax included and the other without and hence there was a difference in the rates. Wrote to BMW and they were very quick in replying back and clarifying.

Anyways bottomline is that you will have to stand on there head while they service your car. No other way out in our set up to ensure that they do not cut corners.

Last edited by drmohitg : 8th March 2014 at 09:46.
Old 9th March 2014, 21:53   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still maintain that Imperial Blue looks the best!
Brilliant set of pics mate.

Just out of curiosity, how come the registration number changed from 0101 (in the initial set of pics) to 9796?

Last edited by dZired : 9th March 2014 at 21:59.
Old 9th March 2014, 22:29   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Brilliant set of pics mate.

Just out of curiosity, how come the registration number changed from 0101 (in the initial set of pics) to 9796?
The initial number was of the TC plates. The dealer messed up the number I had got reserved at the RTO i.e. 9779 which is the same on my Altis too. As a result the delivery was being delayed and hence I made them release the car to me on TC plates and get the permanent number after a couple of days whenever there formality gets over. Due to there mess up instead of 9779, have to live with 9796.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 11:59   #155
BHPian

@sunny I followed your advice and when we sent our 3 series for servicing this month, the car displayed only engine oil is to be changed. However, I requested Bavaria motors in Pune to service the entire car. Without any fuss, they serviced the car, changed several filters, replaced wiper blades and horn. The bill of about ₹24,000/- was taken care by BSI. Thanks for your inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 24th March 2014, 20:42   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
@sunny I followed your advice and when we sent our 3 series for servicing this month, the car displayed only engine oil is to be changed. However, I requested Bavaria motors in Pune to service the entire car. Without any fuss, they serviced the car, changed several filters, replaced wiper blades and horn. The bill of about ₹24,000/- was taken care by BSI. Thanks for your inputs.
Thats good. But may I ask what is the need for changing all the filters when the car's sensors/computer itself say otherwise. Also were you just plain lucky or can we expect BMW staff across the country to honour such a request? Since the car is not showing any indication to change anything other than oil, why will they want to?

And why did you need to change your horn? How much has your car run?
Old 24th March 2014, 21:59   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Thats good. But may I ask what is the need for changing all the filters when the car's sensors/computer itself say otherwise. Also were you just plain lucky or can we expect BMW staff across the country to honour such a request? Since the car is not showing any indication to change anything other than oil, why will they want to?

And why did you need to change your horn? How much has your car run?
@drmohitg

The car has done about 22000 kms in 1.8 years. The ride was not as smooth as before. The horn started sounding funny (like a broken speaker and with some strange noise near the front passenger seat). Earlier they dismissed it saying horn is ok and will sound better eventually.

The car sensors showed only change of engine oil. Rest replacements / service were scheduled for later part of 2014, some for 2015 and some for 2016. When I told the concerned person about ride quality and told him I prefer overall servicing, he immediately told that he will replace a few filters and get the car serviced (he knew car was under BSI).

Regarding horn, he said he will check and replace if necessary. They did change the horn. Strange part is that the bill does not mention about the horn replacement! It sounds perfect now.

Apart from replacing the sunroof for Rs.40,000/-, which shattered when hit by a small stone, haven't incurred any major expense.

BMW dealer in Pune has a good reputation. So I guess its my luck + good dealer.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:07   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding horn, he said he will check and replace if necessary. They did change the horn. Strange part is that the bill does not mention about the horn replacement! It sounds perfect now.
Do they give you the detailed service bill for the work carried out even if the car is under BSI? I remember moderator flyinspur having to argue with them and escalate the matter everytime for a copy of the bill as they refused that its against the policy for cars covered under BSI.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:49   #159
BHPian

Any good apps for 320d? None of them seem to work on Android or Iphone-5s!!!!!
Old 25th March 2014, 15:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

Both apparently have problems as of now. Also for some stuff you need BMW assist / connected drive, i.e. 3G card inside the iDrive but I don't think these are available in India. Most BMW SAs are also clueless as to how apps work. If Karan or others can throw light on this it would be interesting.
Old 28th March 2014, 09:49   #161
BHPian

Quote:
@drmohitg

The car has done about 22000 kms in 1.8 years. The ride was not as smooth as before. The horn started sounding funny (like a broken speaker and with some strange noise near the front passenger seat). Earlier they dismissed it saying horn is ok and will sound better eventually.
Good you could get a complete servicing done. The Bsi states that its mandatory to change the filters with the engine oil so it should be done. The sensors measure the air quality oil density etc to decide if you need a service. Wiper blades need to be changed it they are worn out. The horns is actually a common problem in this even mine was changed within a few months of getting the new car. They said the previous design was a problem and the newer one put was made for indian conditions. I guess that means a kind which is actually used compared to europe . im sure after the service the running is smooth. Hope you also got the A/C filter changed too as its responsible for the air quality inside and it doesn't give a warning probably(not sure about it). I reckon this is your second service? 1.8 years and 22000 km? 1st was done when?
Yes they do give detailed parts and labour charges for even BSI service.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd April 2014 at 20:05. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 11:27   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
The Bsi states that its mandatory to change the filters with the engine oil so it should be done.
Is there any additional BSI booklet detailing service requirements and specifications? I got only the receipt for the same.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:31   #163
BANNED

Congrats, but how will you manage the tire puncture issue. I heard yesterday that the 100km run-flat range is only for highways. On country roads even the rim gets badly damaged in under 10km!
Old 28th March 2014, 11:40   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Congrats, but how will you manage the tire puncture issue. I heard yesterday that the 100km run-flat range is only for highways. On country roads even the rim gets badly damaged in under 10km!
I have already got a space saver. After a puncture the RFT is supposed to hold on for few kms. Might be less in city conditions depending upon the road. But then in city limits you can always find a puncture repair guy easily and get the tyre fixed without going through the hassle of changing to the space saver. i guess it all depends on the individual scenario,
Old 28th March 2014, 14:31   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
That's not the case. People usually get warned by the run flat indicator after the air goes down a certain limit. This limit is well over the level when one can keep driving.
Besides I doubt if anyone who has runflats will ever be without a pump. Its a must to have a pump with any car I think. As soon as it goes down and the warning indicator lights up you refill again and so on. Then you can keep going 1000 km without anything getting damaged. I have heard a person drive from Shimla to delhi after having 3 punctures by refilling on every warning and saving the tyre too.
Therefore practically you wont get into trouble. People usually get into trouble when they don't carry a pump and then blame the runflat.
The other usual scenario is when the tyre gets badly damaged or cut in which case the runflat can be driven without damage at slower speeds for a while on good roads. On country roads you drive very slowly and the rim will not get damaged as the runflat will hold it together.
Besides these cars are not off roaders and I doubt that people would take these cars to places which have really bad roads. I have taken my car on quite bad roads but just driven slowly over them. There was never any issue. Problems happen if you run at a high speed over a pothole.
If someone is really bothered then just take a spare tyre while going into really bad territory.
Now my question to you is what happens to your non run flat tyre if 2 or more of your so called safer tyres burst or get cut? Only a runflat will get you out in such a case. Its basically an insurance. Im not ever talking about the scenario in which most cars topple when the non runflat tyres burst. In that case also runflat save your life.
People keep blaming the company for insisting on runflats but the company is not so foolish as they have probably figured out the senarios.
Yes the ride is hard and the potential situation is there when you can be stuck with bad tyre damage and no runflat friendly workshop in sight but thats when you get your RSA. Such situations rarely happen with most people once in a lifetime.

Quote:
I have already got a space saver. After a puncture the RFT is supposed to hold on for few kms. Might be less in city conditions depending upon the road. But then in city limits you can always find a puncture repair guy easily and get the tyre fixed without going through the hassle of changing to the space saver. i guess it all depends on the individual scenario,!
Good you got a spacesaver but more importantly hope you have a good pump?

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th March 2014 at 15:10.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed