Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 15:19   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Is it me or the run flat issue sounds like people crib about apple's iTunes

Jokes apart, yes run flats do hold certain advantage, in my eyes the only point where it scores less is when it comes to the pricing. Ideally they should have been priced around 10-12k, then people would have happily used them. Also in a country like india a space saver spare wheel is more practical compared to an inflator pump.

Last but not the least, BMW should have given owners the option to decide what they would prefer to opt at the end of the day, normal tyres or run flats and not tie it up with warranty and stuff.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 15:39   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Is it me or the run flat issue sounds like people crib about apple's iTunes

Jokes apart, yes run flats do hold certain advantage, in my eyes the only point where it scores less is when it comes to the pricing. Ideally they should have been priced around 10-12k, then people would have happily used them. Also in a country like india a space saver spare wheel is more practical compared to an inflator pump.

Last but not the least, BMW should have given owners the option to decide what they would prefer to opt at the end of the day, normal tyres or run flats and not tie it up with warranty and stuff.

RFTs are basically life savers considering their resistance to sudden burst.

The issue is not having space for a spare tire. I am even fine with buying one spare but the problem is that there is not enough space left after placing it in boot.

A good air pump and along with puncture repair kit is the only solution left for long journeys.
Old 28th March 2014, 17:39   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
Therefore practically you wont get into trouble. People usually get into trouble when they don't carry a pump and then blame the runflat.
But then if you have to get down and fill air again and again then it beats one of the purpose of RFT and that is convenience of not having to get down especially when driving through not so secure places and at night.

But yes ofcourse I understand your point that with a RFT you can refill air and keep using the tyre. The same is even true with non RFT tyres in case of a small puncture. I once drive my Innova from Ambala to Delhi with a punctured non RFT tyre. Drove really slow at speeds of 60 kmph and kept refilling air at every 30-40km gap. The culprit was finally discovered as the nozzle which was leaking air.

Quote:
Good you got a spacesaver but more importantly hope you have a good pump?
No still haven't. But then my car is only going to be driven in the city 99% of the time. On that one rare occasion I have the space saver with me.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:45   #169
BHPian

Congos!!

I felt as if I was buying!! :-) Amazing description. Excellent Review

P.S. The first picture is awesome. Looks like a monster staring at us from darkness. I love it!
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 22:09   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do they give you the detailed service bill for the work carried out even if the car is under BSI? I remember moderator flyinspur having to argue with them and escalate the matter everytime for a copy of the bill as they refused that its against the policy for cars covered under BSI.
Yes they give detailed bill. My 1st service was at 7080 Kms. Total cost - Rs.10039/- which included service standard scope, motor oil & filter element. Add to that washing charges of 900/-. This was totally taken care by BSI. Apart from that Rs.20871/- for replacing one run flat tyre, reifen (don't know what it means but costs Rs.16892/-) and rubber valve - not sure how much we had to pay out of this.

2nd service was at 21400 Kms and included all items from 1st service + set oil filter, intake silencer service, microfilter service, replacing wiper blades, replacing horn - total cost of Rs.23,853/- taken care by BSI.

Apart from that Rs.47,252 towards sunroof replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
Good you could get a complete servicing done. The Bsi states that its mandatory to change the filters with the engine oil so it should be done. The sensors measure the air quality oil density etc to decide if you need a service. Wiper blades need to be changed it they are worn out. The horns is actually a common problem in this even mine was changed within a few months of getting the new car. They said the previous design was a problem and the newer one put was made for indian conditions. I guess that means a kind which is actually used compared to europe . im sure after the service the running is smooth. Hope you also got the A/C filter changed too as its responsible for the air quality inside and it doesn't give a warning probably(not sure about it). I reckon this is your second service? 1.8 years and 22000 km? 1st was done when?
Yes they do give detailed parts and labour charges for even BSI service.
I think they serviced AC which again was not mentioned in bill for strange reason. AC seems to be working better than before. Also car runs smoother
Old 1st April 2014, 22:54   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
Yes they give detailed bill. My 1st service was at 7080 Kms. Total cost - Rs.10039/- which included service standard scope, motor oil & filter element. Add to that washing charges of 900/-. This was totally taken care by BSI. Apart from that Rs.20871/- for replacing one run flat tyre, reifen (don't know what it means but costs Rs.16892/-)
Reifen means tire in German.

Won't the BMW secure take care of tire replacement cost?
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 23:11   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Reifen means tire in German.

Won't the BMW secure take care of tire replacement cost?
No you have to bear some amount of the cost depending on how much tread is left on the tyre.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 01:39   #173
BHPian

An awesome story and review! Congrats on an awesome buy. I enjoyed reading every part of it. The car looks awesome :thumbup: Any plans on tuning or performance improvement?
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:28   #174
BHPian

Quote:
No you have to bear some amount of the cost depending on how much tread is left on the tyre.
Yes true drmohitg. But what I meant to say is in general it is covered under BSI with of course some fingerprint.
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:28   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuunz View Post
An awesome story and review! Congrats on an awesome buy. I enjoyed reading every part of it. The car looks awesome :thumbup: Any plans on tuning or performance improvement?
Thanks for the encouraging words. Absolutely no plans to modify the car in any way whatsoever. I find the power more than enough for my taste and driving style. Plus have a psychological block against experimenting with the car for 2 reasons:
1. No experience with the technical parts.
2. Warranty and maintenance issues with high end european cars.

Hence I am just going to enjoy it stock.
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:07   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the encouraging words. Absolutely no plans to modify the car in any way whatsoever. I find the power more than enough for my taste and driving style. Plus have a psychological block against experimenting with the car for 2 reasons:
1. No experience with the technical parts.
2. Warranty and maintenance issues with high end european cars.

Hence I am just going to enjoy it stock.
Very few go for peformance tweaks in these cars. I heard that we cannot change any stock parts if you have service package, not even the alloys! Is it true?
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:08   #177
BHPian

Good decision. I totally regret switching to tubeless. Has affected bmw advance will not get any coverage for alloys n tyres, keys, road side assistance, and liquid damage.
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:29   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Good decision. I totally regret switching to tubeless. Has affected bmw advance will not get any coverage for alloys n tyres, keys, road side assistance, and liquid damage.
Who told you that? Its all nonsense. If you switch to tubeless your full BMW Secure is not void, they will obviously refuse to replace tyres, and possibly even wheels but the rest should be valid. How will changing tyres affect the cars keys, or liquid damage or RSA?
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:47   #179
BHPian

That's what the dealer told me. I don't know if it's true. Need more light to be shed on this issue.
Old 2nd April 2014, 20:51   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
That's what the dealer told me. I don't know if it's true. Need more light to be shed on this issue.
Who is your dealer? I have just shed some light on it in the post above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks