Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2015, 11:07   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 5 years, 5 months & 50,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi Rajeevraj,

Have you looked at remap to increase power and torque?

Regards.
Yes. Have been following threads of several gt tsi owners who have done it. Pete's has a couple of remaps which seem popular. The stage 1 remap that bumps power to 125-130 bhp and torque to 210nm. Cost is around 25k.

In general I get unwanted itch to upgrade cars. As of now I am pretty happy. So keeping the mods like remap for the time I strongly start feeling that I want more from the car.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:49   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4wheels View Post
I need to keep an eye on this.
Also, what I have noticed after my first service is that the jerks on downshift while in S mode from D3 and D2 has become more prominent and less in D mode and is spoiling some of the fun on the highways.
I believe there is a software update to version 6.66 or something regarding the gearbox which seems to have eliminated or made less prominent the jerks while downshifting from D3 to D2. Read this from Frank Mehta's Thread on his Polo GT TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yes. Have been following threads of several gt tsi owners who have done it. Pete's has a couple of remaps which seem popular. The stage 1 remap that bumps power to 125-130 bhp and torque to 210nm. Cost is around 25k.

In general I get unwanted itch to upgrade cars. As of now I am pretty happy. So keeping the mods like remap for the time I strongly start feeling that I want more from the car.
Would be an awesome drive! Had been considering this, but a little nervous as the bump in torque would bring it close to the limit for the DQ200, which AFAIK is 250 NM. True, the TDI+DSG combos run the maximum limit for torque. But with an infamous gearbox I am a little nervous about pushing it. All things considered I think I can live with the stock map.

Given the experiences, or more specifically lack thereof, of DQ200 problems in the newer crop of cars, is it safe to assume it's issues have been sorted out and can be safely bought?
Old 24th September 2015, 21:28   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitnp View Post
I believe there is a software update to version 6.66 or something regarding the gearbox which seems to have eliminated or made less prominent the jerks while downshifting from D3 to D2. Read this from Frank Mehta's Thread on his Polo GT TSI.

Given the experiences, or more specifically lack thereof, of DQ200 problems in the newer crop of cars, is it safe to assume it's issues have been sorted out and can be safely bought?
Hoping to get the software update when I take it for the 2nd service (assuming the service center here has heard about it).

I also have a slight worry on getting the remap. I think it is pretty safe, but as you said, fine with the stock numbers for now. Will definitely get it sometime down the line.
Old 18th October 2015, 21:19   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd Service Update

2nd Service Update

Took the car in for the 2nd Service yesterday. It was not actually due from the KM (~21500) or the time period (around 1 month short of 2 years). But I have a couple of long trips coming up starting next week and there were a few issues which I wanted to attend to before the trip. So decided to get the 2nd service done since anyway it was close to 2 years.

Key issues from my side.
  • AC Effectiveness had reduced a great deal.

• Occasional vibration on the steering when braking from high speeds.

Additions that I was interested in
  • Dead-Pedal- Bhpian Ventoman had done it in his TSI and given me the contact. But the part needed to be ordered and my plans and the ordering lead time did not work out. Hence pushed this for a subsequent visit.

• The window blinds that is part of the new Vento Highline Plus. Was told that this is not available individually and only part of the whole package.

Key points on the Service
  • Service Center: Volkswagen Palace Cross-Hessarghatta Road. This center is around 1.5-2 hours away from where I stay. But both here in the forum and outside, I had heard that this is the better service center in Bangalore.

• My 6 months check up and first service was done from Volkswagen Whitefield. While there was no cause for complaint, I felt VW Whitefield was very crowded and capacity was small. So in spite of the long commute, decided to go with VW Palace Cross.

• Getting an appointment was a big challenge. I had called more than 2 weeks back and managed to get a slot only yesterday. This was the situation with VW Whitefield also. I think VW needs to increase their service capacity in Bangalore.

• Appointment was at 9 am and I reached by 8.50 am. Had to wait till ~9.30 am to be attended to. Two curious things happened.

• I was chatting with the Senior Service Manager (Mr Purushottam I think) about the wait and that folks who came in after me are getting attended to first, he made a comment that he did not want to assign a junior SA to me and was waiting for one of the senior guys to get free.

• When the SA (Mr Navid) did come, after preparing the job card, he brought in the car to one of their bays in the reception and raised the car to check the underbody thoroughly. I have never had this happen for any of my services for any of my cars. Noticed that this was not done for the other cars being taken in.

• These 2 points kind of surprised me. There was no indication from my side that prompted this. Wonder if it was a Team-Bhp Sticker effect.

• Three Surprises during the inspection.
    • SA after opening the bonnet, said that there have been rats running around and pointed to what could be foot marks. No bitings observed.

• The 2nd Surprise was when the SA said there is no way they can deliver the car today. This was a problem for me. Finally after a discussion with the lead, he said he main reason is the queue for washing the car and that will take time. I said I am ok with not washing as long as the service is done completely and properly. So they committed to delivering the car without the washing part. But when I went in the evening, was pleasantly surprised to see that the washing was also done.

• When the car was raised another issue was obvious. There was a large crack in the Lock Carrier on one side. This I understood was the stand kind of thing that holds the radiator and other elements in place. Not sure how it cracked, but am glad that the car was raised and this issue was found. It may have still been found in the regular inspection, but I assume could have been missed also. Below image indicates where the crack was (this is after replacement)

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-ventoservice2.jpg
  • First pinch of VW's higher than usual spare costs. This whole replacement cost me ~4500.

• Ensured that the Wheel Alignment/Balancing was removed from the Job card since I had done this the previous week from Madhus-Langford Road.

• Missed to check on the AC Duct cleaning and the SA also did not mention it. This was ~ Rs 800 and something that I could have avoided.

• Car was delivered as promised by 6PM. The washing part was a bonus and was happy with that.

• The pick up formalities were done very quickly and I was able to get out fast.

• AC issues were taken care off. The shuddering on high speed braking- Did not observe it in the speeds I was able to take it to in the City. Need to see if the cleaning and the alignment/balancing has taken care of it. Brake Pads were not replaced.

• No mention of any ECU or DSG Software Update.

• While I appreciate VW showing the replaced parts, I don't see why they need to put it in the trunk and send it out with the customer. Just passing the headache of disposing stuff to the customer?

• Total Damage was ~INR 14,000 including the Lock Carrier work. So~10K for the regular service. Details below.

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-ventoservice1.jpg

Overall pretty happy with the service- Especially the Lock Carrier part. Have driven ~100 km after the service and car feels good. No change in the DSG behavior.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th October 2015 at 21:23.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 10:06   #155
BHPian

Re: 2nd Service Update

Quote:
No mention of any ECU or DSG Software Update.
According to some of the posts, I thought there is a DSG software upgrade which solves the "D3 to D2 jerking problem". Did you check this with the SA?
Old 19th October 2015, 14:30   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2nd Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
According to some of the posts, I thought there is a DSG software upgrade which solves the "D3 to D2 jerking problem". Did you check this with the SA?
Yes. I did check. Actually I had been to VW Whitefield just for checking. They had the below info (Quoting from my post on the DSG Jerk Thread), but the folks at Palace Cross did not seem to have any specific info. In any case, it does not trouble me much, so have left it for now. Will revisit after my trip.

Quote:
Based on your post, visited VW Whitefield here in Bangalore to check on any software updates. Surprisingly, they did have info on the new software update (Normally they do not know anything). Here is the info I got.
  • Software released last week. Targeted to reduce jerks.
  • More relevant for the recent cars (2-6 months) and not for the older models. This sounded weird to me. I would expect such updates to be for older models with the new ones coming with updated software from the factory.
  • Car needs to be left for 2 days with 3/4 tank petrol. Will be taken on extended road test and jerks if any are observed. Software update will be done only if needed.

I have experienced only the 3-2 jerks on heavy braking. Have a long trip coming up in 2-3 weeks, so do not want to give it now and then take it on long drive immediately. So will target along with the 2nd service in November.
Old 25th October 2015, 18:57   #157
BHPian

Quote:

The Vento TSI runs at a higher state of tune in stock map compared to the Polo TSI. Dyno runs have shown the Polo TSI produce 92WHP in Stock while the Vento TSI producing 102WHP in Stock (possibly to compensate for additional kerb weight). Hence possible upside with a remap in power is barely 4-5 WHP. The key benefit of remap could be in terms of improving the drivability of the car. Hence to get better gains would be to go for Stage 2 with necessary decat and FFE implemented.
Jamsukh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 23:06   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

2 year update

Today my Vento completes 2 years. Hence a quick recap.
  • The Vento came home as a replacement to my SX4. The primary reason for shift was the thought process that I needed an Automatic. It had to be a powerful Automatic and the Vento TSI was pretty much the only real choice that met my requirements.

• Had initially booked a Polo GT TSI (September 2013), but once the Vento TSI was launched in October 2013, it did not take long to do the switch. The rear seat and boot space was critical to me.
  • The Vento was my first new car. All previous cars were pre-owned.

• The car came home on 30th November 2013. Now after 2 years, the Odo is at ~23,500 KM which by itself is not a big number. I do not use the car daily for my office commute. If I had done that, it would have added another 10K km.
  • At the end of the first year, it was ~10,500 KM and 2nd year it is ~13,000 KM.

• Overall has been a low profile, hassle free ownership experience. Most TSI’s here in the forum have been modified a great deal. The only change I did was the addition of the Philadelphia 835 and reverse cam on day 1.

• Every time I see a mod done on a Polo/Vento TSI, I get tempted to do something. But holding back for now. Hoping to do the small stuff at least in this 3rd year of ownership.
  • The interiors have held together really well. Expected the full beige to be an issue. Was surprisingly not.

Some TCO Details
  • 6 Month Check Up Update: Cost 0. Detailed Update
  • First Service Update: Cost: ~ Rs 11,000: Detailed Update Here
  • Second Service Update: Cost: ~9000 + 5000 for the Lock Carrier Work: Detailed Update Here
  • Lifetime Mileage is ~12.7 with 60% Highway and 40% City. Translates to approximate fuel expense of Rs 5000 per month.

Issues faced:
  • Reduced cooling after about 20 months. Rectified in 2nd service.
  • A cracked lock carrier that was replaced in 2nd service.
  • Steering vibration under heavy braking. Not resolved in 2nd service.
  • Occasionally the 3->2 shift under sudden deceleration seems a bit too jerky.

Performance and drivability- Nothing new to report. Continues to bring a smile to my face every time I drive it. With the worsening traffic conditions, absolutely no regret.

Top 3 Likes
  • S Mode
  • Hill Hold
  • Build quality and interior fit and finish.

Top 3 concerns/dislikes
  • The VW Negative perception and the DSG history of unreliability
  • No Cruise control
  • Cannot be a 'beater' car

Would I buy it again today? Keeping aside VW’s diesel gate issues, I think today also I would buy this. The 2014 and 2015 refresh adds most of the things I miss and make it a more complete car. Ironically, while every other segment has seen a spurt in the launch of AT versions, the C2 Sedan Segment is moving backwards. The Scala and Fiesta AT are no longer available and the choice remains restricted to the City, Vento and Ciaz ( with the Rapid and Sunny making up the numbers).

Couple of images (taken a month back).

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-img_20151028_122525.jpg

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-img_20151028_122610.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 08:23   #159
BHPian

Re: 2 year update

Congratulations on the two year completion!

Quote:
Would I buy it again today? Keeping aside VW’s diesel gate issues, I think today also I would buy this. The 2014 and 2015 refresh adds most of the things I miss and make it a more complete car. Ironically, while every other segment has seen a spurt in the launch of AT versions, the C2 Sedan Segment is moving backwards. The Scala and Fiesta AT are no longer available and the choice remains restricted to the City, Vento and Ciaz ( with the Rapid and Sunny making up the numbers).
Absolutely spot on! The diesel emissions scandal broke out just before me taking delivery of the Vento TDI DSG, and I had to choose whether to go back to the drawing board -- but that was a no-go since there were no other cars in the market in the same segment that came anywhere close to what the Vento experience for me was. So, I went ahead hoping that the dust will settle sooner or later and a giant like VW will get its act together swiftly.
execve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 09:17   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today my Vento completes 2 years. Hence a quick recap.

[*]A cracked lock carrier that was replaced in 2nd service.
Congrats Rajeevraj on your trouble-free VW Ownership and your Black V-TSI looks Majestic bro

During the first service of my GT, I had noticed a VW Vento owner reporting the same issue on his car and was asked to pay up for a new Lock carrier. Considering these parts are shared among the siblings, could you please confirm the following:

- Did the SE actually discuss the reason for this cracked/broken lock carrier?

- I overheard the SE mention about this issue being caused by front wheels crashing hard into pot holes, quite often. Have you had such instances with your V-TSI?

Lastly, I wanted to know where you sourced the Phili 835 from and the cost> Have been planning to upgrade my stock system for a while now
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 19:44   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats
During the first service of my GT, I had noticed a VW Vento owner reporting the same issue on his car and was asked to pay up for a new Lock carrier. Considering these parts are shared among the siblings, could you please confirm the following:

- Did the SE actually discuss the reason for this cracked/broken lock carrier?

- I overheard the SE mention about this issue being caused by front wheels crashing hard into pot holes, quite often. Have you had such instances with your V-TSI?

Lastly, I wanted to know where you sourced the Phili 835 from and the cost> Have been planning to upgrade my stock system for a while now
Thank you.

On the lock carrier, the SA gave a similar reason, due to a hit/hits going through pot holes or humps. While I do not recall a specific instance/instances where I went through a pot hole or over a hump badly, considering Bangalore roads and the fact that a lot of my highway trips is on the Bangalore-Mysore-Bandipur highway which is famous for humps, I was not really surprised at the SA's comment. May be several gentle hits cracked it.

The 835 I got from the Karnataka Distributor Franchisee whose contact I got via the Blaupunkt India FB Page. Cost was ~ 44K for the unit+ reverse cam +MMI maps and including installation at my place. But this was 2 years back.

If you are considering a replacement, would recommend you to consider the other options also available now (Like Dynavin N6 and the Android HU that Bhpians FrankMehta and graaja have installed. At the time I purchased, this was the only real plug and play option easily available. I am pretty happy with it, but for example Team-BHp Mod gannu_1 was not satisfied with it and switched to the RCD510.

I will PM you the contact of the distributor I have in any case.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:52   #162

Hi. I just got a Vento Tsi last month and am still getting familiarised with the way the DSG works. I had a few questions (may appear noob) to veteran Vento Tsi owners: when the car is in D mode and on the move and shows D2 or D3 and if I release the accelerator due to traffic or vehicles ahead to gradually slow down, I feel some sort of mild braking/reduction in speed - is this engine braking? and I note that while D1 to D2 happens fast at relatively low rpm, I have to raise the rpm to around 2100 for the gear to actually shift to D3. Is this normal (my SA said it is)? Also, although I haven't felt it a lot, after reading threads on jerks on change of gear from D3 to D2 while braking, am wondering if the same is present in November manufactured Ventos as well. Will have to be more observant for this one. Thx!
Old 10th December 2015, 10:56   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katariusmaximus View Post
Hi. I just got a Vento Tsi last month and am still getting familiarised with the way the DSG works. I had a few questions (may appear noob) to veteran Vento Tsi owners: when the car is in D mode and on the move and shows D2 or D3 and if I release the accelerator due to traffic or vehicles ahead to gradually slow down, I feel some sort of mild braking/reduction in speed - is this engine braking? and I note that while D1 to D2 happens fast at relatively low rpm, I have to raise the rpm to around 2100 for the gear to actually shift to D3. Is this normal (my SA said it is)? Also, although I haven't felt it a lot, after reading threads on jerks on change of gear from D3 to D2 while braking, am wondering if the same is present in November manufactured Ventos as well. Will have to be more observant for this one. Thx!
Don't think it is engine braking, that is the quirk of the DSG Box. I also experience it in some scenarios. The Service Center had said in October that there is a software update that helps reduce/eliminate this. I would expect the Nov manufactured cars to come with this update. Do keep an watch and see if this behavior persists.

D1 is very very short and is engaged only when the car is at a standstill. So any shift from D1 to D2 will be very quick. On the shift to D3, try accelerating gradually, it should shift much faster, the shift points kind of also depend on how heavy your foot is, if you are very heavy it can shift very late even in D mode. Would suggest to try different driving styles and see how it responds.

Typically when gradually accelerating, it should shift up to 7th gear by around 70kmph and RPM typically is ~1800-1900 at these speeds in D mode.
Old 10th December 2015, 11:20   #164
BHPian

Quote:
One suggestion I'd like to make is, don't try to mould your driving to the gearbox. The DSG is a learning gearbox, so rather, drive as you'd like to drive, with manual intervention where necessary, and very soon, the gearbox will learn your style and make changes accordingly.

To give you a very simple example, I like to use engine braking, and as I get into turns, like to match a slight slower speed with downshifts so the engine is perfectly in the rev. band. We have both a Vento TDI and Vento TSI in the family, and while the TSI is not my daily driver, when I drive it, I use the same behaviour, and will manually drop gears for engine braking, or will downshift in turns. Every single time, I've noticed that over 50-100 km, the TSI will learn my behaviour, and start to mimic my behaviour. So, over time, I don't have to do it anymore. Of course, the gearbox will do the same thing with more finesse and in moderation, but my point is, it pick up behaviours from your driving style.

So, I'd suggest you let the DSG do its thing rather than watching its behaviour and try to correct for it.

Also, mine is a Oct. 2014 TSI, and it doesn't exhibit that D2-D3 behaviour. When I went for my first service, I asked the SA about the DSG update, and he mentioned that it was specifically for cars which were exhibiting that D2-D3 jerk. I asked the SA how common the issue was, and he said that in all the TSI's hes looked at, this was the first time he was hearing of it, and had to check with their tech head to answer my query about the DSG update. So, pretty rare, according to him.

Last edited by bosporus : 10th December 2015 at 11:21.
Old 10th December 2015, 20:57   #165
BHPian

Quote:
I think that is engine braking. Especially when the car downshifts from D3 to D2 you will observe it easily. The characteristic DSG jerk is never mild and you will clearly get shocked when it happens. Mine is a August 2015 TSI and used to experience the jerks. I did do the recent software update. It was all cool for a month but couple of days back it reappeared again. The frustrating thing is it happens randomly even when you simulate the scenario so you cannot pinpoint a pattern.

It seems like there will not be a solution unless VW seriously look into this which I am struggling to understand why they are not doing. I am still lucky that whenever it happened no one is close to the rear otherwise they could easily bump into me.

Apart from this, it is a fabulous car so you will enjoy your time with it and let us hope that somehow it will disappear on its own.

Most Viewed