Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 21:44   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Black VW Vento TSI. Update: 1 year & 11000 kms report on Page 8

Encountered a situation where I really got the benefit of the 'Hill-Hold' Feature. Had been on a trip to Nandi Hills (A small hill and viewpoint 60KM from Bangalore) on Sunday morning. On the last stretch just before the entry gate there was a huge jam. This stretch was very steep and road was also not great. Cars were very close to each other and and a lot of them were rolling back quite a bit when starting from stretch. There seemed to be several new drivers also who seemed to be struggling to move up without slipping back significantly.

Since I had the AT and Hill Hold, it made the section absolutely stress free. No worries about balancing the clutch/accelerator or playing with the hand brake. I could calmly lift my leg of the brake, Hill Hold would hold it for 3-4 seconds and in the meantime, I could give the right amount of accelerator input.

I had initially thought that if I let go of the accelerator and allow the car to stop on the incline without using the brake, the Hill-Hold would kick in . It is not that smart, you have to press the brake to ensure that the Hill Hold gets engaged when you let of off it.

An excellent feature.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th March 2014 at 21:45. Reason: typo correction
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 10:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Today had to do an airport drop morning at 6am. Since it was Early morning and also the ugadi holiday, traffic was minimal. In addition recently tarred roads and the newly opened airport expressway meant that road conditions were also ideal. So I resisted the urge to do some sporty driving and decided to do a mileage conscious run. So made sure i drove with a light foot, did not do any sharp bursts, and did not exceed 80kmph( the speed limit on the expressway) As I mentioned road and traffic conditions were ideal, round trip distance was around 110km. This is the mileage I ended up with.
My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-milage_new.jpg

Felt this would have gone up further if my distance was longer.Looks like the tsi engine can be quite the sipper.

Of course, this drops to half of this in bumper to bumper traffic. Like its peak torque, the mileage is also spread over a large ramge

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st March 2014 at 10:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 19:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Today had to do an airport drop morning at 6am. Since it was Early morning and also the ugadi holiday, traffic was minimal. In addition recently tarred roads and the newly opened airport expressway meant that road conditions were also ideal. So I resisted the urge to do some sporty driving and decided to do a mileage conscious run. So made sure i drove with a light foot, did not do any sharp bursts, and did not exceed 80kmph( the speed limit on the expressway) As I mentioned road and traffic conditions were ideal, round trip distance was around 110km. This is the mileage I ended up with.
Attachment 1224990

Felt this would have gone up further if my distance was longer.Looks like the tsi engine can be quite the sipper.

Of course, this drops to half of this in bumper to bumper traffic. Like its peak torque, the mileage is also spread over a large ramge
You can take a look at the post of my recent long drive in the chennai-erode highway. Got a mileage of 18.4 with not so light footed driving of 90-100 kmph with bursts for overtaking. This TSI is really a gem.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3400320
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
You can take a look at the post of my recent long drive in the chennai-erode highway. Got a mileage of 18.4 with not so light footed driving of 90-100 kmph with bursts for overtaking. This TSI is really a gem.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3400320
Thanks for this info. Good to know that the mileage will hold at 90-100 kmph also.
Old 4th May 2014, 12:21   #80
BHPian

hi

Do you know someone who has or can source the auto dimming mirrors for the IRVM and the ERVMs for the Vento TSi?
Any help in this regard will be nice because sometimes it really is very difficult especially with the ERVMs because we can’t even have sun films these days.

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2014, 11:06   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

Do you know someone who has or can source the auto dimming mirrors for the IRVM and the ERVMs for the Vento TSi?
Any help in this regard will be nice because sometimes it really is very difficult especially with the ERVMs because we can’t even have sun films these days.

Thanks.
Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe you can contact Bhpians like Robimahanta/Prithvi81 who have done quite a lot of modifications on their rides. I am sure they will be able to guide you.
Old 7th June 2014, 00:48   #82

Quote:
hi

Thanks.
Is this the one you are looking for? http://vagtune.in/index.php/volkswag...n-spain-detail
srikanth.hv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 00:06   #83
BHPian

Re: My Black VW Vento TSI: 3 month, 4000 km. Update on Pg 5

Quote:
Maintaining Black is a challenge. Reduced the car washing in the apartment to once a week. Bought a Jopasu Duster to dust on daily basis. Need to lean more on washing, detailing and maintenance.
Hi. I run a car detailing business in Bombay and can give you a few tips on maintaining your black car.
  • Firstly let me say that VW paint quality is the best in segment, so it's far easier to maintain than a competing brand car.
  • Second, you should once a year get a polish done that includes a sealant (preferably Polymer sealant rather than wax). Waxing can be done as and when.
  • Regularly wash car with shampoo. I mean this once a month. Shampoo removes oily residues. A shampoo wash + wax is even better.
  • Never dry-dust the car with a cloth, using your duster may be helpful but be careful not to rub the car with it. Dust + wiping/rubbing causes abrasion which causes scratches that appear like cobwebs/swirl marks in direct light.
  • Never allow bird droppings to remain on the car. These may create hologram-like impressions which last for weeks or (worse) until a full rubbing polish is done.
  • Use a microfiber cloth to wipe the car down after wet washes. We use one wet followed immediately by a dry one to remove all moisture. Same can be used on glass as well.
Happy motoring! My cousin is in the process of finalising his Vento TSI booking thanks to my inputs (and this thread).
carmayogi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 09:53   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Black VW Vento TSI: 3 month, 4000 km. Update on Pg 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
Hi. I run a car detailing business in Bombay and can give you a few tips on maintaining your black car.[list]
Happy motoring! My cousin is in the process of finalising his Vento TSI booking thanks to my inputs (and this thread).
Thank you for the useful inputs. Will keep these in mind. Happy to hear that this thread has helped your cousin.

Also time for my 6 month update.

6 months 6400KM General Check-up Update
So it has been just over 6 months with the Vento TSI. I have covered 6400KM during this time. A quick recap of the key plus and minus points for the benefit of those who have not gone through the full thread.

Positives
  • Sorry to keep repeating this every time. But cannot help it. This car is dream to drive. Whether it is in the city or on the highway. Typically most AT’s do well in the city, but lose out on the highway. The Vento TSI is not like that. It is actually better on the highway.
  • The D mode is sufficient for most driving conditions in the City or on the Highway. Even for sharp overtaking, although there is a slight delay in kick down, the resultant thrust because of the low end torque compensates for any delay in kick down
  • The S more is great fun to use, And the delayed shifts ensures that the engine RPM is in the peak torque band, so the car pulls effortlessly in any situation without even having to drop gears
  • Good thing noticed is that the mileage does not drop significantly during highway driving in S mode. If you are averaging 80kmph, in D mode you will be in gear 7 and S mode maybe in 4, As long as you are in gear 4 and above, mileage does not take a significant hit.
  • Mileage is pretty good for an AT Sedan. Typical city driving returns between 10-12. Continuous bumper to bumper traffic can drop it to 9kmpl. Highway driving returns anything between 14-17. If driven ~80-90kmph on 4 lane highways, mileage can go up to 18+.
  • One a side note: Once you start enjoying this car, you will not care too much about mileage
  • Hill Hold is a brilliant under rated feature. Greatly simplifies driving further
  • Extended warranty now available

Negatives
  • Nothing to distinguish it from regular Vento’s. I wish they had done something more to differentiate this car. Especially relevant since the supplies are not high and the Vento TSI has some sort of an exclusive factor at this time. I have never seen another Vento TSI on the Bangalore roads (although there are 5-6 TSI owners in this forum itself). So would have been good to have some distinguishing factors. Considering the Vento itself has been around in this form for several years and is considered slightly dated now. It is a shame that such segment leading engine gearbox technology has been put into this car with nothing to distinguish that there is something special under the hood.
  • Although the gearbox is super smooth, there is a jerk when it drops from 3rd to 2nd gear. I spent 2-3 weeks in Kerala at the peak of summer. And on many occasions the car was parked morning to evening in the sun. In general I noticed that the jerk was more pronounced when it was very hot and humid. Extremely bad traffic also meant that the car spent most of its time between 2 and 3, so that could also be a reason for this feeling.
  • It misses some nice to have features (like cruise control). Headlights are poor. Planned to upgrade to Xtreme Vision or Osram Night breakers, but some feedback indicated that there is no huge difference. So have held back on it.
  • Rear seat space, although pretty good, cannot compare to some of the other C-Segmenters.

Other thoughts
  • It is kind of a strange situation, on one hand they are unable to sell the regular petrol Vento in any significant number, and on the other hand there is a long wait for the TSI models due to supply limitations. They should at least attempt to boost supplies which I am sure will help their numbers.
  • The AT market is slowly picking up. In the C Segment Sedan the only real options are the City CVT and the Vento TSI. I don’t understand why VW is not taking steps to take advantage of that and boost sales at-least to some extent? Or are their margins too low on the TSI’s to make the extra effort to increase sales.
  • Many people interested in the TSI have the question: Does the Vento TSI Lose out in performance and enjoyment when compared to the Polo TSI. My opinion: If you take both of them out on a race track and test them side by side, the Polo will come out tops. Although the lower weight contributes, I think primary reason would be because of its shorter wheelbase and stiffer suspension. It is more maneuverable. In real world driving, unless you are a real expert, the difference in performance between the two is negligible (I personally could not notice any difference after back to back test drives on city roads). So my feedback: If rear seat space and boot space are even slightly important, go for the Vento TSI and don't compromise these two aspects expecting a large performance benefit. You will not notice it. If you don't care about rear seat or boot, or prefer a hatchback, then it has to be the Polo GT TSI.

General Checkup Update:
  • Got the 6 month ‘General Check-up’ done. Since it was nothing major, I took it to the nearest service center- Volkswagen Whitefield
  • Appointment process was smooth, Called a day in advance and blocked a slot. Was asked to come by 10am
  • Arrived by 9.45, was asked to wait in the lounge for around 10min and was attended to.
  • After the job card was done, I asked the Service Adviser on the Synthetic to Mineral Oil change and whether my VIN was in the list. His reponse: ‘Sir, that is only for GT Models’. I told him, ‘Yes this is a TSI and he had a surprised look’. Again repeated, it is only for GT models. Then I showed him the TSI badge and he seemed confused. Wonder if he was seeing a Vento TSI for the first time. He told me he will check.
  • Later he checked the list and said ‘Sir, I told you, it is only for GT models and not yours’. I left it at that.
  • Since the check-up was expected to complete in couple of hours, I decided to wait. Towards the end, the SA came and said, Sir, your brake light is not working. He first said that the installation of the reverse cam was the reason for it (Which I had done from outside along with the Blaupunkt HU). They could not figure it out in 15-20 min and he said he needed time. I agreed to return in the evening. By around 4 he called me and said that the problem was a coupler in the rear light assembly. Changing that fixed the issue. I now wonder if it was something that happened on that day, a few days back or whether I had been driving without a brake light for several days/weeks.
  • Overall experience was pretty ok. I had a slight worry about the reverse camera done from outside and whether I will have issues with the service center. Initially that fear was coming true. But the service advisor did a good job in ensuring that did not come in the way of fixing the issue. In general no real cause for complain. The service center itself was very congested and crowded
  • I also purchased the extended warranty which cost ~17500 for 2 years. This is ~3000 more than then regular Vento, which I felt was fair. This helps give additional peace of mind

Thank you for reading. Will keep updating this thread as needed.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 22:07   #85
BHPian

hi rajeev

Nice to read about your updates. Your pictures of your Vento TSi were those which kept me satiated when I had booked mine and was waiting for delivery.

I can’t agree more to the fact that they could have given the TSi some sort of differentiating features!

I just had a few doubts :
During your free check up did they check the wheel alignment and balancing?
Did they top up any fluids?
Also why did they not check all the lights when taking the car in for service because that way you could have been sure that they didn’t screw it up while checking something.

I have upgraded to the Osram NB unlimited and I can say that it makes a difference on poorly lit roads and not much when you have oncoming glare from other headlights.

Enjoy your ride!
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 15:56   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi rajeev

Nice to read about your updates. Your pictures of your Vento TSi were those which kept me satiated when I had booked mine and was waiting for delivery.

I can’t agree more to the fact that they could have given the TSi some sort of differentiating features!

I just had a few doubts :
During your free check up did they check the wheel alignment and balancing?
Did they top up any fluids?
Also why did they not check all the lights when taking the car in for service because that way you could have been sure that they didn’t screw it up while checking something.

I have upgraded to the Osram NB unlimited and I can say that it makes a difference on poorly lit roads and not much when you have oncoming glare from other headlights.

Enjoy your ride!
Thank you for the comments. During the check up they did not do any wheel alignment and balancing. As per what they told me, no top up was needed and hence not done. The checkup consists of electrical check, fluid check, diagnostic check with their software and car wash.

Very good point on the check-up before taking it in. Even if they did not do it, It was a lesson to me to make sure to check all electricals before they take it in. Will follow that from next time.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:27   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up the extended warranty certificate from the dealer. Turns out it is a document on VW letterhead and has details like the Certificate Number (which as per them is the primary identifier), Start and End date, Vehicle VIN, Engine number model etc. I expected a booklet with detailed terms and conditions. Upon inquiring the concerned lady said she can send a soft copy. She did send a 3 page document.

Is this all there is or should I be expecting/asking for something more?
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:08   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up the extended warranty certificate from the dealer. Turns out it is a document on VW letterhead and has details like the Certificate Number (which as per them is the primary identifier), Start and End date, Vehicle VIN, Engine number model etc. I expected a booklet with detailed terms and conditions. Upon inquiring the concerned lady said she can send a soft copy. She did send a 3 page document.

Is this all there is or should I be expecting/asking for something more?
Yup. I didn't even get the three page document.

Does it have any terms & conditions ? Can you share it here ?
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:14   #89
BHPian

Hi Rajeev,
I have got a 12 page 'extended warranty program' booklet from VW Whitefield.
In case you need this, please do let me know. I could scan and mail it to you.
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:46   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Yup. I didn't even get the three page document.

Does it have any terms & conditions ? Can you share it here ?
Sure. Have attached it below. After reading through more carefully, I think this covers the terms and conditions completely. Initially thought it was incomplete.

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-extended-warranty-0.jpg

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-extended-warranty-1.jpg

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-extended-warranty.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi Rajeev,
I have got a 12 page 'extended warranty program' booklet from VW Whitefield.
In case you need this, please do let me know. I could scan and mail it to you.
Thanks Rohan. Can you verify if what I have attached above is what you have in the form of booklet?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed