Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:20   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Over the last week & off work, I drove to Hyderabad and then Chikmagalur.

Here are some of the pictures taken from both these drives:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170926_124723bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170928_172918bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170928_175857bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170928_175935bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170928_180521bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170928_180534bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170928_181307bordermaker.jpg

Feedback about Mobil1 Delvac:

Felt much better this time, engine note was crisp and so was the throttle response. Although I would say this will be due to fresh oil, there was certainly a difference the way the vehicle pulled in every gear. It is already 2000 kms post oil change and the effects haven't worn out.

Reliance Diesel:

I had read it on S-Cross thread and heard from a lot of my friends circle on how good Reliance diesel is, especially for MJDs. So on the way to Chikmagalur last week, I was running on the last few liters of BPCL Diesel that I filled up at the Reliance station on Hassan Bypass for 1000 bucks to be able to test the difference.

Whether it was plain bad luck with the station where I filled or reality, I am not sure but till this diesel got over, I felt the vehicle was behaving very rough all throughout. Even at highway cruising speeds of 100-110, I could notice the engine felt stressed. I drove with this diesel on return leg, almost 130 kms after the warning light and refilled with HPCL Diesel near Kunigal bypass at my usual place. That tank is now half consumed and I can say that things are back to normal.

Issues?
Remember the low speed wobble I had been referring ever since the steering rack was replaced when the Odo was 50,XXX kms? Well, its still not gone and it has resulted in humming wobble even when you lightly press the brake pedal at highway speeds of 100-110 KMPH band. You can easily make out that something is shaking as the speeds drop and you are still holding on to the brake pedal lightly.

I am more than just sure that this has got nothing to do with worn out pads because the wobble is felt lightly even when you take off after slowing down at a speed breaker.

I am again sure it is not to do with the tires or uneven wear because when there is slow speed wobble , the steering wheel doesn't even move left-right that is typically seen.

Plan to take it to the ASC for inspection this week and I have been suspecting it since long that it is the Rack, the one that was replaced in warranty that is causing all this, as the issue cropped only after the replacement. All these days I hadn't taken it seriously because it was hardly noticed but now I must visit as the braking experience is getting affected due to this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd October 2017 at 09:25.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:29   #482
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Superb pics Parag Bhai.

Good to see your steed munching miles without any major hiccups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Reliance Diesel:

I had read it on S-Cross thread and heard from a lot of my friends circle on how good Reliance diesel is, especially for MJDs. So on the way to Chikmagalur last week, I was running on the last few liters of BPCL Diesel that I filled up at the Reliance station on Hassan Bypass for 1000 bucks to be able to test the difference.

Whether it was plain bad luck with the station where I filled or reality, I am not sure but till this diesel got over, I felt the vehicle was behaving very rough all throughout. Even at highway cruising speeds of 100-110, I could notice the engine felt stressed. I drove with this diesel on return leg, almost 130 kms after the warning light and refilled with HPCL Diesel near Kunigal bypass at my usual place. That tank is now half consumed and I can say that things are back to normal.
I too witnessed some what sluggish behaviour when I did a diesel top up at the same Reliance bunk. Engine felt stressed once it crossed 85 and with only 2 souls on board, car was literally struggling. This was the same case even when I did a tank full at MRPL bunk near KPT Mangalore. This is quite a contradiction with Shell diesel as whenever I did a tank full with either normal shell diesel or VPower, I could see good top end performance as well as reduced engine clatter.

Post that I am sticking to IOC or Shell and never ventured into any other brand.

I am on DIY spree to upgrade my lights and I need some information on the fog lamp bulb you have it in your car. I have upgraded my headlamp bulb to Osram nightbreaker laser and next I am planning to replace my stock fog lamp bulb. I might have missed your previous updates but are those stock bulbs or you have upgraded it.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 3rd October 2017 at 10:40.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:59   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Reliance Diesel:

I had read it on S-Cross thread
Hi Parag,
In my experience, the diesel quality is not consistent across all Reliance pumps.
Its been a mixed experience so far and now I follow the golden rule of filling diesel on highway from pumps with maximum truck traffic or COCO outlet, irrespective of the brand.

For Reliance diesel, the pump on airport road is good. (Location link)
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....6293154?hl=en
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:10   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I too witnessed some what sluggish behaviour when I did a diesel top up at the same Reliance bunk. Engine felt stressed once it crossed 85 and with only 2 souls on board, car was literally struggling.
So that was not just me or my weird noticing! Glad that you too felt the same. So in all cases, I will avoid this. The first try with Reliance Diesel and that turned out to be bad. Makes me fear if I should try again in Bangalore.

Quote:
I might have missed your previous updates but are those stock bulbs or you have upgraded it.
These are not just fogs. The same housing also had DRLs and what you see in the pictures is when the DRL is on. The fog lights illuminate when you turn them on using the usual switche/stalk since this comes with proper controller where DRL functions as DRL and not as a fancy light .

You can read that update here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4235064

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi Parag,
In my experience, the diesel quality is not consistent across all Reliance pumps.
Yes, I would think so too!
Quote:
Its been a mixed experience so far and now I follow the golden rule of filling diesel on highway from pumps with maximum truck traffic or COCO outlet, irrespective of the brand.
Completely agree with you and I too am a COCO fan. As much as possible I stick to COCOs. In fact, on return from Hyderabad, the previous tank was running on COCO Diesel from BPCL.

Quote:
For Reliance diesel, the pump on airport road is good. (Location link)
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....6293154?hl=en
Thanks again. I am aware of this one as this is closer to where I stay (Yelahanka) and previously I had responded to Naren that I will look forward to fill here as we had filled for a Punto from here on one of the TDs we had taken.

Quote:
I have been hearing similar reviews from many owners, including a Scorpio and a Punto. The Punto owner had once filled Diesel only(mostly) at Reliance when he drove from East to west and swears by it today that 3 weeks before when I accompanied him for a TD of his car before his next big drive, he insisted we fill up at the Reliance fuel station on Airport road as we were heading towards Hyderabad.

Would certainly want to try this out myself now at least once.

I was quite regular at Shell but since the last 2 years totally shifted to either BPCL or HPCL mainly owing to super long crowds at most of these outlets on Bellary road. After shifting, I tried hard to figure out what was good with shell. Of course I also learnt later where Shell gets its supply from and where others do .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:25   #485
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every dog may not have its day. This one may have not been lucky. In both cases it was almost impossible to avoid hitting them. Damage - Broken bumper.
Sorry to hear this happened. A similar incident happened back in 2009 to my Alto. You can read about it here. The damage that ensued is here. This happened on the stretch of ring road after BEL Circle going towards Hebbal just after the railway over-bridge. I had absolutely no time to react and unfortunately, an i10 suffered major collateral damage. Since then whenever I see dogs or any other animals on our roads, I lift off the throttle and slow down or brake to lower my speed.

In my case, I had to replace the bumper. You are lucky to get away with a minor tear. Your DIY fix looks almost perfect.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 17:07   #486
BHPian

Re: 60,000 Kms up!

Quote:

I would post the Dashcam Video of this descent here. Unfortunately I had pulled out the Power cable as we were idle and waiting down for more than 45 minutes and I didn't want the camera to record in parked mode and overwrite the initial clips. Realized it later that I had forgotten powering it up when I climbed. But the descent video would do full justice to represent what I mentioned.
Did I miss the video after going through all 33 pages in one go or you forgot to upload it?
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 18:16   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 60,000 Kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Did I miss the video after going through all 33 pages in one go or you forgot to upload it?
It's the latter and I forgot and that happens many times, especially Dashcam videos and now when I tried to search for it, I am not able to find.

However, you find some details around that here from Arun's Travelogue:

Quote:
The climb was not an easy one for sure as I mentioned about the same in my ownership report update too. While it was the Ertiga, Ciaz and the Punto which were the only 3 cars apart from RWD vehicles, the primary reason for Ciaz to get stuck was due to loose soil and being pro-active enough to park right to make way for others. If not this, the show was all going on well.
Old 17th October 2017, 11:35   #488
BHPian

Hello Parag bhai,

My Ertiga is nearing the 50k service. Any specific points to look out for as it is a major milestone? Also, do you remember the service cost at 50k (Though it was ages ago for you ) ?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 17th October 2017, 12:10   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Any specific points to look out for as it is a major milestone?
Check for the wear of the following :

Brake Pads
Clutch health
Suspension Bushes - Front strut bushes and stabilizer bar bushes
Check Link rods (I had replaced one at 50K)
Steering rack health (abnormal noise)

Apart from that, If you have never got EGR cleaned, please do that now as 50K is good sample for EGR cleaning.

Quote:
Also, do you remember the service cost at 50k (Though it was ages ago for you ) ?
Don't recollect exactly but it certainly would be in the range of 6-8K.

You can check more details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3701666
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:15   #490
BHPian

Thanks for the input Paragbhai.

I guess you generally get your service done at Surakshaa. I am planning to go to Surakshaa, Koramangala. Any feedback on the Koramangala branch? Also, any service engineer reference there would be of great help.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 24th October 2017, 17:39   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Also, any service engineer reference there would be of great help.

Cheers
Rahul
Post warranty, unless there are major tasks like replacing all fluids, I am mostly visiting FNGs to replace the oil and then get it washed elsewhere. This is mainly because my car is not always washed too frequently and it's a waste to shell out so much just to change the oil at the service center. FNG charges me 500 for Oil change and a proper wash - What else you want!

However, I mostly give it to EC Surakshaa but if you visit Koramamgala,you can ask for Shyaam who is the in-charge of the workshop and refer my name. We have met before and he's serviced my car on earlier occasions too and many BHPians have visited there too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th October 2017 at 17:54.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 13:39   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been quite some time that I had posted detailed update on the ownership. Here I am with few pictures and couple of paragraphs highlighting significant stories associated with the overall ownership thus far!

Current Odometer reading:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-01-odo-steeringbordermaker.jpg

136514 KMS is where it stands as on today. As usual, my office runs have drastically reduced that I hardly drive once or twice a week these days. Beyond that, shuttle service to Belur-Chikmagalur is a regular affair with quite a few impromptu dinner and breakfast drives to the outskirts of the city to compensate the loss

Few pictures from some very recent rides:

One with audioholic with his newly acquired Kawasaki Ninja near Kunigal

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-breafast_ridebordermaker.jpg

And few from the recently held Team BHP twin city meet near Kurnool

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-tbhp_meet1bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-04-tbhp_meet2bordermaker.jpg

Few little scars:

The right hand side mirror swiped with the mirror of another Ertiga that was coming downhill from Chamundi hills. That fella was quite aware of the width of the road but I was shocked when he nearly swiped my car at the last minute. This ensured that the LED Indicator lamp on the mirror broke along with Mirror plate itself. After my visit to the temple here, I drove down to Friendly Motors (Dealer ASC at Mysore) and got the mirror replaced. I was thinking to replace the LED Indicator lamp later when I get back to Bangalore. To my surprise, when I enquired at the ASC, the LED Indicator costed 3400/- against 1400/- because the old part number was discontinued. The same part however was very much shown in Oriparts website but I kept delaying it.

One day, during a casual conversation Leoshashi confirmed availability of this old part at Ranchi and I instantly agreed to receive it from him. Long story almost ends, I receive the part and install the same on the same day.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-turn-indicatorbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-rhs-mirror-ledbordermaker.jpg

Thanks a lot Shashi for this!

Few months back, while taking a left from the main road to a lane where my home is, a 2 wheeler (Activa/Access??) sneaks in from my left passing me in the opposite direction to enter a supermarket. This is a very regular affair here. But as I Inch forward, the rider with her kid as pillion just rushes ahead leaving a nice long scar from the footrest right from the front door all the way to the back.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-door-scratchbordermaker.jpg

I delayed getting this repaired owing to a lot of work and my lot of working from home commitments. Secondly, this may have needed 2 days which would have meant I left the car at the ASC and I wasn’t very sure if I could do that knowing my ad-hoc needs at home with the car as the WagonR is always driven to work by wifey.

Again, over a casual discussion, Leoshashi suggested that instead of getting the scratch repaired, the best option was to replace the existing door molding to a lower position. Technically the mold has to be at a lower position but Maruti somehow fits this at a higher level and the purpose of this is completely lost. This is because the widest part is exactly at the lower section of the door and the mold has to be here.

The representative image shows where the mold needs to be, ideally!

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-unnamed-1.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-mould-packagebordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-mould-part-numbordermaker.jpg

I picked this molding from the dealer this week when I drove to work and next day I headed to Pavan Kadam’s workshop that is hardly 5 minutes from my home to fit them as I my basement as of now is badly lit and the ease to replace them under natural light. The reason to buy a new set of mold instead of using the existing one was quite simple. The 3M Tape (at least 5 rolls) would have cost me almost 1300-1400 while the mold set with the pre-pasted tape cost me 1390/-/ Plus, this also reduced the effort needed to remove the tape from the old mold and put a fresh one on it.

We didn’t remove the existing mold and fixed the new one below to what I call a temporary makeover –The Ertiga Cross.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-double-mould-lhsbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-double-mould-rhsbordermaker.jpg

Later on yesterday and today, I removed the existing molding and was lucky to have found no water mark residues. I had a tough (and long) time to scrub off the adhesive using Abro Tar Remover wherever necessary and cloth.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-mould-removal-lhsbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-mould-removal-rhsbordermaker.jpg

Few pictures taken this morning:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-frontbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-rear-bootbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-rear-side-profilebordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-rearbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-side-1bordermaker.jpg

The 3D mats have been holding up really well ever since I picked them online 4 years before. In fact, the real testimony is the driver side mat that has hardly shown any impressions of wear due to constant driving and resting of right foot by me with all kind of footwear. No deep impressions and no nothing. This is exactly what I would call "good quality"!

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-mat-copaxbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-mat-driverbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-seats-front-1bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-seats-frontbordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-seats-rearbordermaker.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats FrontBorderMaker.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1703867

Current Issues: Referring back to my post last month

Quote:
Issues?
Remember the low speed wobble I had been referring ever since the steering rack was replaced when the Odo was 50,XXX kms? Well, its still not gone and it has resulted in humming wobble even when you lightly press the brake pedal at highway speeds of 100-110 KMPH band. You can easily make out that something is shaking as the speeds drop and you are still holding on to the brake pedal lightly.

I am more than just sure that this has got nothing to do with worn out pads because the wobble is felt lightly even when you take off after slowing down at a speed breaker.

I am again sure it is not to do with the tires or uneven wear because when there is slow speed wobble , the steering wheel doesn't even move left-right that is typically seen.

Plan to take it to the ASC for inspection this week and I have been suspecting it since long that it is the Rack, the one that was replaced in warranty that is causing all this, as the issue cropped only after the replacement. All these days I hadn't taken it seriously because it was hardly noticed but now I must visit as the braking experience is getting affected due to this.
Current State: The wobble had turned “violent” off late whenever I was even lightly pressing the B Pedal beyond 100 KMPH and with a clean pull to the left. This confirmed something was amiss with the brakes. At the same time, low speed wobble without braking too was persisting.

Troubleshooting:

Swapped Rotors and Pads between Left and Right and Instantly went for TD with the technician because I was more than double sure that it was not going to solve the problem and I was right. The wobble at high speeds was still there and so was the left pull. Returned back and then checked that the left wheel was not spinning as freely as the right one. Upon loosening the calipers, found out that the left caliper had jammed. Reason was easy to guess – The Caliper Pins long ago (Around 77,000 kms) underwent brass welding to arrest the Maruti Standard Feature – Caliper Pin Noise. The noise never returned but somewhere and somehow this had jammed the left caliper and there was zero play.

Replaced the calipers with brand new ones and drove home and this solved the violent shake on braking and left pull completely. The low speed wobble still remains and a simple test with a new Rack is pending.

Lesson learnt : Jugaads don’t work all the times and this one was really slow in terms of showing its true colors one day. The welding over caliper pins to enlarge the overall dia for sure will reduce the noise completely but will also hinder the functioning of calipers properly.

Quote:
These are the 2 pictures of the caliper pin brass welding done when the Odo was at 77K:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-15-caliper-pin-5.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-12-caliper-pin-1.jpg
See you around till the next update!

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th December 2017 at 13:44.
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:06   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Again, over a casual discussion, Leoshashi suggested that instead of getting the scratch repaired, the best option was to replace the existing door molding to a lower position.
Hope you have touched up the scratch(only for rust protection) before fixing the door moulding over it.

Quote:
Technically the mold has to be at a lower position but Maruti somehow fits this at a higher level and the purpose of this is completely lost. This is because the widest part is exactly at the lower section of the door and the mold has to be here.
I have seen Maruti recommending the same location in other cars also, which frankly becomes useless, and also looks bad.

Celerio: absolutely no regard to the body contours
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maruticeleriobodysidemouldingset.jpg

Ertiga:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-12.jpg

Ciaz:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-p_20160704_065455_1_p.jpg

However, their latest cars have mouldings at proper place. Like the Baleno or the Dzire.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img_20160106_161343.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:11   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hope you have touched up the scratch(only for rust protection) before fixing the door moulding over it.
The scratch when wiped with thinner lightly went dull making me realise that it wasn't that deep or wide at all. Perhaps the footrest of the 2 wheeler and the width of it made it look this way.

Hence I am sure that the depth of the scatch itself won't allow rusting in future since it's very light.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:34   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

The car now looks like it can go on for another 1.2L kms easily. I am also surprised by how good the seats are holding up without any signs of wear. It does not look like the car has run so many kms at all. Consider going for a wrap around the mirror to reduce chances of damage, if not completely avoid. I have some excess PPF lying with me which I will be happy to give away It has worked for me when bikes try to squeeze into the narrow gaps in traffic. Also when dad brushed against a pillar while removing the car, the film got ripped apart but paint and the indicator was still intact.

And the side moulding actually looks better now. Not sure Maruti recommended installing it right in the middle of the door.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed