Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 07:14   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi, 20000 kms report

Congrats Parag on your new car!

Ertiga does tick all the boxes for your requirements. I wish you all many safe miles together

Just a bit curious about two things:
1. Is there any reason you excluded the Innova (or equivalent) from your contender list? I think it would have suited your driving pattern too.
2. with the zDi, was it not possible to ask the dealers to deliver it a bit early in time for the day as you wished, especially as you know them personally?
From your experience, I learn that it is important to make up one's mind on time to save time on car delivery later. In my case, I have already been through a case where I researched for months, but after booking/ payment, 3 weeks seemed like ages!

Congrats again
Old 30th December 2013, 08:14   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Just a bit curious about two things:
1. Is there any reason you excluded the Innova (or equivalent) from your contender list? I think it would have suited your driving pattern too.
Thinking aloud:

- Huge difference in pricing. ~11+ is top end Ertiga. Innova should touch about 14-15 for the basic version.
- Innova has a bigger engine though, hence should return much lower FE. 15/16+ Vs 11)
- Ertiga has a smaller footprint too. Hence easier to drive in the city.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 10:35   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hi Paragbhai, I didn't ask earlier coz I felt the Chevy Enjoy didn't quite suit your style quotient, but an objective comparo would help people considering Enjoy.
Old 30th December 2013, 15:02   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Hi Selfdrive, This was easily beyond my Budget as I have mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I never wanted a 7 Seater but having a spacious 5 seater that can convert to 7 occasionally was always a welcome option.
Quote:
2. with the zDi, was it not possible to ask the dealers to deliver it a bit early in time for the day as you wished, especially as you know them personally?
The earliest could have been a month, so I decided against the wait. As I have said before, I often look back and repent if I should have gone for a Zdi variant. As a matter of fact, I have a very close association with another Dealer due to my WagonR also but I didn't even consider checking with them.
Quote:
From your experience, I learn that it is important to make up one's mind on time to save time on car delivery later.
With so much of dillydallying on even looking for a next car, all of us thought it was the right time to book before we postponed the decision to buy at all! I think we all go through this. Some wait while some do not. I did the latter for various reasons& its all fine. No regrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thinking aloud:

- Huge difference in pricing. ~11+ is top end Ertiga. Innova should touch about 14-15 for the basic version.
- Innova has a bigger engine though, hence should return much lower FE. 15/16+ Vs 11)
- Ertiga has a smaller footprint too. Hence easier to drive in the city.
I think you have summed it up exactly as I wanted to answer. Currently, I am getting an FE of anything between 16-17kmpl In Diesel as against 14kmpl in the Petrol WagonR. Simple math says, for my monthly running I am spending almost half on fuel. So FE was indeed one of the primary parameter. I don't think it made sense for me to settle for the Innova (budget) considering I drive 64kms a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi Paragbhai, I didn't ask earlier coz I felt the Chevy Enjoy didn't quite suit your style quotient, but an objective comparo would help people considering Enjoy.
I personally didn't like the Enjoy. I see them daily in front of my office ferrying "Techies". So I didn't even consider this in my list of choices. So I don't even have anything to compare to be honest.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th December 2013 at 15:04.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 17:12   #80
BHPian

Hi Parag...i am a newbie ,just admitted to teambhp last week... i have been religiously going through you threads over the years.The reason,...i too am a Waggie owner..Your detailed exploits with your waggie was really breathtaking to read. Heartiest congrats for the Ertiga.. a very detailed initial ownership report. Thoroughly enjoyed reading over a pipping hot cup of coffee.wish you many happy miles crunching with it...and last but not the least look forward to more of your experience with the Ertiga in the days to come.Cheers
Safedriver76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 23:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I personally didn't like the Enjoy. I see them daily in front of my office ferrying "Techies". So I didn't even consider this in my list of choices. So I don't even have anything to compare to be honest.
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed log - thanked each post

As for the Enjoy, now come on - now you are someone who'd use his mind as much as his heart while buying. Why did you not even consider the Enjoy?

Secondly, my Swift (now at 1.1 Lakh km) urgently needs a change in the seat covers. I had bought cheap elegant dual-color fabric covers but nowadays with my son becoming a brat and our monthly drives - our car has become dirty as hell.

I'm considering shifting from fabric seat covers to artificial leather for ease of cleaning. thoughts?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 09:24   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks for the detailed log - thanked each post
Thanks phamilyman! Glad you liked it.

Quote:
As for the Enjoy, now come on - now you are someone who'd use his mind as much as his heart while buying. Why did you not even consider the Enjoy?
You said it. If you went through the decision making process, settling for Ertiga indeed came from heart and mind together. It's a winner for me in terms of what I was looking for. A suitable and an able upgrade that would give me more space, more practicality, flexibility, reliability, efficiency and of course, just about the needed performance as a comfortable highway cruiser. A lot of times my heart was inclined towards many performers with a bigger engine and better power & Sportier handling but ultimately more conscious thinking ensured I chose the right one for me, finally !!

Quote:
Secondly, my Swift (now at 1.1 Lakh km) urgently needs a change in the seat covers. I had bought cheap elegant dual-color fabric covers but nowadays with my son becoming a brat and our monthly drives - our car has become dirty as hell.

I'm considering shifting from fabric seat covers to artificial leather for ease of cleaning. thoughts?
Kids - The main reason I think these art leather (or even leather if you can afford) covers should be installed on the seats. They eat, litter, spill while we travel and you cannot avoid that easily.

I use typical upholstery cleaner (dry foam) to clean these seats. Just to give you an idea, I cleaned the WagonR's seats which became stained after transporting a couple of boxes. The results were definitely fruitful.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20130605_113959.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20130605_114122.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20130605_115527.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20130605_115609.jpg

EDIT: You must check with the upholstery fella on the options available. Something that should not heat up too much under the soaring sun. There are multiple materials available and a few of these dont heat as much as their other counterparts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st December 2013 at 09:31.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 18:34   #83
BHPian

Finally, a very nice unbiased review of an undoubtedly amazing vehicle. Wishing you many happy miles.

I have been lucky enough for being the first BHPian to get a ride with you on the first day itself. Thank you for such an amazing opportunity.
crazyfordriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Ertiga. A well composed review and ownership thread. Good job.

16-17kmpl in Bangalore that too in initial ownership looks awesome. People are boasting off figures like 22kmpl on Ertiga which I couldn't believe till I read this.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 19:49   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats on the Ertiga. A well composed review and ownership thread. Good job.

16-17kmpl in Bangalore that too in initial ownership looks awesome. People are boasting off figures like 22kmpl on Ertiga which I couldn't believe till I read this.
Thanks jacs! The FE numbers in the city are steady between 16-17kmpl so far with 100% AC Usage (my practice to roll up and drive all the times). Of the daily run of 64 KMS, I get 18 kms of BETL where I am mostly in 5th gear and hence the FE would get better at least for this stretch. If not for this, the FE would surely drop at least by 0.5-0.75 KMPL.

However, let me tell you that achieving 22KMPL on the Ertiga with passenger and luggage load on a highway is tad difficult under "Normal Highway cruising speeds".

If you notice, I rigorously followed the running in period never crossing 90KMPH, Softer on all 3 pedals, no abrupt acceleration or braking and varying my speeds during that 450 kms Onward and Return journey soon after I bought. The FE that I achieved with 4 passengers (no luggage) on a dual carriageway road with a median (At least 80%) was 20.XX KMPL.

The same journey I did after running in, this time with speeds usually 120KMPH returned be 18.XXKMPL.

I am very sure that to be able to get something like 22KMPL with passenger load would mean that you drive at 80KMPH (or may be a bit lesser) and I for one would never drive that way and stick to my usual 90-120KMPH band to get the best possible combination of average speed & FE.

The Problem with driving too slow would mean you press that throttle a bit more whenever the road has an incline to be able to maintain that speed or may even need to shift down by a gear. Speeds between 90-120KMH I feel are best in such cases.

Honestly, I would not even drive in future to extract 22kmpl at all just like how we have seen the record holders do.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th January 2014 at 19:52.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 07:29   #86
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A Senior companion was waiting to welcome you at home to wish you many more mile crunching.
Belated congratulations and best wishes, paragsachania. I wish you and your MS Ertiga VDi lakhs and lakhs of miles with smiles. Explore and enjoy your new LUV.
  (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 07:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

I got 23.8 kmpl with last week between Ekm And Mannuthy where max limit is strictly 80 kmph. The worst I got was between Vellore and Krishnagiri six lane (16.2 with ac and 350kg load) with max high speeds.
coolclouds is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 09:42   #88

Hello Parag,

This is one really amazing review of the vehicle with superb classification of paameters. I am proud to say that I own a Maruti Suzuki ERTIGA VDi too. (It is a White coloured one).
I have been driving for the past 8 years and have done alot of highway and city driving and in almost all Cars available in the Indian Market. (Not into the Big segments though, but still have tried till the skoda superb).

I am surprised to see your MID showing an avg efficiency of 20.3 and above 18kmpl in the pictures. I took my car out of the showroom on the 13th of MArch 2013. The avg showed by the MID was 9 kmpl. I did driving as per strict regulations without pushing the engine too much, and with proper tyre pressure and throttle inputs.
The increase in the effciency has been super slow. After clocking 20700 kms, My avg is at 15.8 kmpl.

I always use BPCL pumps to refuelling and go only for good ones. We frequent trips to Kerala and we have an avg running of more than 2000 kms a month.

Does anyone have any similar fuel efficiency issues with the ERTIGA ?

I have the fuel efficiency getting better after I installed a K&N filter.
My current efficiency is at 15.8 kmpl.
With occasional enthusiastic driving.

Can I get any information regarding this ? Whether I should question the ASC to look into the problem ?
Old 18th January 2014, 10:35   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
I have the fuel efficiency getting better after I installed a K&N filter.My current efficiency is at 15.8 kmpl. With occasional enthusiastic driving.
Its definitely capable of giving mud more. Even the stock version should give you more than 17 at least on the highway.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 11:05   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post
I took my car out of the showroom on the 13th of MArch 2013. The avg showed by the MID was 9 kmpl. I did driving as per strict regulations without pushing the engine too much, and with proper tyre pressure and throttle inputs.

The increase in the effciency has been super slow. After clocking 20700 kms, My avg is at 15.8 kmpl.

Does anyone have any similar fuel efficiency issues with the ERTIGA?

Can I get any information regarding this ? Whether I should question the ASC to look into the problem ?
I agree with the delivery display of FE on the MID. My dad just bought a Ertiga ZDi in white on 1st Jan, 2014 and has clocked 700 kms. The worst mileage has got is 9.3 kmpl and now he is getting 16.2 kmpl in city traffic with 100% AC.

My advise is not to go to the ASC for this issue as they will ruin your car further.

Anurag.

Most Viewed