Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 18:43   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Upholstery & Floor Mats

Upholstery:

With driving regularly and your kid trying to munch her favorite snack or sip water or juices, there is every chance of dropping and spilling. Going for Art Leather upholstery made much more sense to me since I am satisfied with the same even in the WagonR.

Positives:
  • Easy to Clean/Wash
  • Doesn't accumulate dust on fabric
  • Safe from Food and liquids
  • Retains the original shape of the seat as it hugs the seats tightly
Negatives:
  • Can heat up a lot if parked under sun for long (AC will take time to cool then)
  • People who sweat a lot, you may not like this
  • 2 split seats rubbing each other when driving alone can make squeaky noise
  • Easy for a not so sharp object to tear it

I got these done from my regular upholstery guy who comes at your door step by just a call with a lot of books that has designs to choose from. Pay him a token advance and he returns next day at a committed time, starts working spending around 3 hours at your doorstep and finishes the Job satisfactorily.

I paid 10,500/- for the whole Job that includes a lousy steering wheel cover (not recommended) which I intend to get it done from Stanley sometime soon.

Here are a few snaps of the Art Leather seat covers.

The Drivers Seat:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-captain-seat.jpg
(The black spots are from the belt on my trouser that I need to wipe it clear this weekend)

Both the front seats:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-front-row.jpg

A closer look at the Head Rest:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-headrest_02.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-head-rest_01.jpg

Second Row seats with integrated armrest:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-second-row-01.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-second-row-02.jpg
(note that this chap provides a zipped covering for the Armrest area in the center. To unfold the Armrest, you need to unzip this, flip the cover and pull the Armrest out which also gets the art leather cover)

Foot Mats:

What I got as part of the "Essential Kit" during delivery were rubber mats. I never liked Rubber mats that I have even put Fabric mats in the WagonR as well. Somehow, Rubber doesn't give you that good feeling on floor.

Considering how beige the whole of Ertiga's Interior was, I chose beige as the color for the foot mats that I ordered from Sai Mag Wheels (Carmats India) which got delivered in under 24 Hours after booking it online.

The Driver side Foot Mat:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-driver.jpg
Notice how the dead Pedal is also taken care in the design of the mats & the raised hump for resting your legs with metallic stripes to prevent causing a hole on the mats due to constant resting.

Second Row:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-copassenger.jpg
What I liked about these is that they fit perfectly well for all the 3 rows.

I paid 2700 INR for a set of 3 Pieces (2 for front row and 2 wide ones for 2nd and 3rd row).

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-2nd-row.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
And awaiting for your day light pics of your seat covers, not urgent though
I hope this post helps!

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th December 2013 at 18:53.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 20:53   #62
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi, 20000 kms report

Brilliant review Parag. Rating this thread a well deserved *****.

Congratulatons on your new set of wheels and wishing you a few hundred thousand miles on these as well.
Great pictures too and a super Pro V Con summary for all the cars that were in contention to make it to your garage.

Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 00:30   #63
BHPian

i just bought a ertiga zdi. THis post really helps me as i am catching up with this car. thanks so much friend.
chaxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 11:20   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Foot Mats:
What I got as part of the "Essential Kit" during delivery were rubber mats. I never liked Rubber mats that I have even put Fabric mats in the WagonR as well. Somehow, Rubber doesn't give you that good feeling on floor.

Considering how beige the whole of Ertiga's Interior was, I chose beige as the color for the foot mats that I ordered from Sai Mag Wheels (Carmats India) which got delivered in under 24 Hours after booking it online.

The Driver side Foot Mat:

Notice how the dead Pedal is also taken care in the design of the mats & the raised hump for resting your legs with metallic stripes to prevent causing a hole on the mats due to constant resting.

Second Row:

What I liked about these is that they fit perfectly well for all the 3 rows.

I paid 2700 INR for a set of 3 Pieces (2 for front row and 2 wide ones for 2nd and 3rd row).

I hope this post helps!
Even now Maruti/dealer doesn't provide good floor mats? I remember we got rubber mats from the dealer when we bought our m800 in 1996.

My car here came with good floor mats, beige carpet type. Not sure if it was by Nissan or dealer. Just changed the original floor mats after 6 years, as the driver side mat got torn a bit.
Old 25th December 2013, 11:44   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Parag - congratulations on the new acquisition, good buy and choice of vehicle seems very logical and suits your needs to the hilt. Thanks for sharing

*Excellent review of the Ertiga - I think this thread will complement the TBHP review and serve as an excellent reference for anyone considering the Ertiga, rating much deserved 5 *'s
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 16:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Great review!!

The Ertiga is a very practical 7 seater. Having a baby recently, my Swift is bursting at the seams on weekend trips with next to no space for another passenger after the three of us.

I have been looking for a replacement for the Swift in 2014/2015. As much as I love a fun to drive sedan the need for ground clearance and my habit of taking my car into every situation barring off-roading has kind of made me hesitant to consider this segment.

The Ertiga ticks all the right boxes in this regard and I have also liked its looks from day one. It is only the performance area that is kind of average but I am sure that a good tuning box with fix this area for that bit of extra shove.

Thanks for bringing out the practical nature of this car!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 15:55   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Brilliant review Parag. Rating this thread a well deserved *****.
Thanks Baddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
i just bought a ertiga zdi. THis post really helps me as i am catching up with this car. thanks so much friend.
Congratulations for your Ertiga too. I am sure you will have a lot to share here from your experience of sitting behind its wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Even now Maruti/dealer doesn't provide good floor mats? I remember we got rubber mats from the dealer when we bought our m800 in 1996.
Well, It depends from Dealer to Dealer is what I have seen. While a couple of dealer to give you Rexin mats in beige color, a few will offer you typical rubber mats. But in any of these cases, the mats are more likely to be MGA and supplied my Maruti.
I never had great expectations for mats anyways. I knew I will have to pick one sooner to match the interiors and hence bought those from Sai Mag wheels online.
In most probability, its the driver side foot mat which will give up sooner than the rest for obvious reasons. I will wait and watch on how these fare, specially the one that I am resting my leg all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Parag - congratulations on the new acquisition, good buy and choice of vehicle seems very logical and suits your needs to the hilt. Thanks for sharing

*Excellent review of the Ertiga - I think this thread will complement the TBHP review and serve as an excellent reference for anyone considering the Ertiga, rating much deserved 5 *'s
Thanks NPV. I am glad you liked the review. And yes, as you see from my review, Ertiga was the one I rejected first and Ertiga became the one that I finally booked. All because it managed to satisfy me for most of my basic requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The Ertiga ticks all the right boxes in this regard and I have also liked its looks from day one. It is only the performance area that is kind of average but I am sure that a good tuning box with fix this area for that bit of extra shove.

Thanks for bringing out the practical nature of this car!

Drive on,
Shibu.
Thanks Shibu! Like I have mentioned previously, I too agree that the performance is average. But end of the day, it wont disappoint you to run the highway keeping up decent average speeds cruising very easily at 120kmph and end of the journey, still keeping each passenger happy (at least 5 in my case) and even returning good FE too.

I am not sure if I would go for any performance upgrade - Remapping, Dieseltronic etc as I have always preferred things related to engine stock.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:20   #68

Great Review Parag. Was looking for such a detailed review of Ertiga for quite sometime now.

With plans of getting the next car in the family, which hosts a 3rd row of seats, this one seems to be a practical bet at a 10L budget.
RamRoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:21   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Managing the Luggage

Managing luggage and passenger space in 2nd row:

A lot has been discussed in many places regarding how the Luggage space gets seriously compromised if the second row seats are slid completely back.
In simple works, one cannot fold the 3rd row seats completely flat if the second row seats are slid back till the end.

As I have preciously mentioned in the same thread, the third row in upright position itself can serve as an excellent loading area in the Ertiga. This means, the passengers in the 2nd row can still get the best of leg space while your luggage is also taken care.

Here is something that I did today to demonstrate the abilities of the 3rd row that can easily manage some heavy luggage for that long trip that you may have planned.

Baggage Dimensions:
  • Suitcase 1: 30" X 22" X 11"
  • Suitcase 2: 24" X 16" X 11"
  • Duffle Bag: 26" X 10" X 10"
  • Laptop Cum Light Luggage backpack, bigger thicker than a typical laptop backpack.

Option 1: Bigger Suitcase resting flat on the seat, Second row pulled a little front accordingly

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123309.jpg
With the bigger suitcase (Black) lying flat in the seat, the smaller one (Blue) is resting above that in same position and the Duffle Bag getting its own space to rest

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123317.jpg
You see above that there is more space remaining next to these 3 Baggage that can still swallow something more

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123336.jpg
So I easily dump that Laptop bag next to it as above

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123518.jpg
The Leg space in second row (Not fully pulled back) is as above. As you can see, this is more than sufficient for average adults in my family. Note that the driver seat is pulled back to my driving position (6'3" tall)

Option 2:Both the suitcase resting in standing position, Second row pulled fully back to maximum position.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123809.jpg
Same 3 baggage now find space to rest in the above fashion

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123822.jpg
The space next to them can still manage that laptop bag or a smaller duffle bag easily

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123834.jpg
More leg space released since the second row seats are slid back completely.Refer the door speaker grill in both the pictures to know how much more leg space is released.

What you can manage in the tiny boot?
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20131226_123922.jpg
The same duffle bag next to the Laptop bag. A few more bags like these can certainly go if stuffed from inside.

Bottom Line:
The luggage space with 2nd row fully slide and 3rd row in upright position is not bad at all if utlized smartly. As you can see in the above pictures, I have used a combination of various type of luggage and in different sizes.

Another thumb-rule that I always follow when loading luggage is to ensure that the rear glass is not obstructed in providing rear view through the mirror.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th December 2013 at 16:23.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:36   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Managing luggage and passenger space in 2nd row:
A lot has been discussed in many places regarding how the Luggage space gets seriously compromised if the second row seats are slid completely back.
Loading on the seats may damage the seats, or the seat cover. Everyone in the car may not be as careful when loading, unloading or just moving the luggage to fish out stuff.

You can put in a mat or a capet sort of thing, on the seat before loading, to avoid that possibility of damage.
Abes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 17:00   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Loading on the seats may damage the seats, or the seat cover. Everyone in the car may not be as careful when loading, unloading or just moving the luggage to fish out stuff.

You can put in a mat or a capet sort of thing, on the seat before loading, to avoid that possibility of damage.
Isn't that something we owners are all careful about? Imagine a case even when you fold that 3rd row, you will still be ripping the fabric or leather by placing the luggage there as you will be placing the luggage on the 3rd row seat cover! The pics here are for illustration for the benefit of the reader who may want to know about the loading area. So I have not kept anything below as I was not embarking on any journey today.

You may have seen in my WagonR snaps elsewhere on how I use Yoga Mat for the boot even though it doesn't have anything below that can tear.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20130922_112346.jpg

I think, as owners we are always careful about such thoughts and I am sure most of us will take care of such a situation.

If we are too much finicky about things that way, placing bottles in the bottle holders and driving regularly will also leave black marks on the door pad plastic due to constant rubbing of bottle with the door plastic too!

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th December 2013 at 17:08.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 21:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
If we are too much finicky about things that way, placing bottles in the bottle holders and driving regularly will also leave black marks on the door pad plastic due to constant rubbing of bottle with the door plastic too!
Yea, it does. Theres blue mark on my car, which I hate to see, every time.
Old 27th December 2013, 14:00   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Upholstery:

With driving regularly and your kid trying to munch her favorite snack or sip water or juices, there is every chance of dropping and spilling. Going for Art Leather upholstery made much more sense to me since I am satisfied with the same even in the WagonR.

Positives:

Negatives:
Thanks a ton! It looks cool in day light.
Quote:
Foot Mats:

I hope this post helps!
Thanks for sharing the details. Went to the below link and saw the same one that you have (and they have only this one for the Ertiga). I am thinking of ordering one myself and before that thought of checking with you if this looks worthy for the money paid and does it look like it would serve its lifetime like the rubber mats? Is it flexible enough? If not, wouldn't it be difficult to take out to clear it off the mud (Without spoiling the interior)?

I hate the rubber mats that Maruti dealer gave and that too after charging around 2K in the name of basic accessories Never seen something that thin of a rubber in my life.

Have seen some expensive mats including 3M's 3D Kagu mat looking similar to this. Confused if I should go for this or Nomad mats (Especially with the DIY activities going on in T-BHP recently )

ECO : EXCLUSIVE - DAPPER & ECONOMICAL MATS

Quote:
Isn't that something we owners are all careful about? Imagine a case even when you fold that 3rd row, you will still be ripping the fabric or leather by placing the luggage there as you will be placing the luggage on the 3rd row seat cover!
I think we can have the Scorpio mat; similar to the one that our fellow member Rajain uses in his Ertiga with the 3rd row seats folded flat.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3047816

And you being a frequent highway driver, how do you find the headlights? Enough or would require an upgrade to better brand/wattage? I know its specific as some feels enough, some complains and it depends on the roads we travel too but still your observation in general. Sorry if that's already covered and I missed it.

I would like to but don't want the warranty (Electrical warranty they say which might include Aircon components too - Expensive you see) to be going for a toss.
Attached Thumbnails
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-ertiga-boot.jpg  

Last edited by ganesc : 27th December 2013 at 14:09.
ganesc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:33   #74
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post but I am interested in the floor mat (badly as Ertiga's flooring is beige too) as yours as I don't want to go for floor lamination.
They remove the all the seats out to laminate it and can't fit the plastics covering the frames as good as how it was.
Some of the other dis-advantages of the lamination is it's very very slippery, rubber mat can't stay in place over the laminated sheet. Also, You never know if water gets inside and will spoil the OE flooring and will start stinking.
Old 27th December 2013, 15:43   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Ganesh, since am on mobile I am not quoting your posts but would try to address your queries.
The mats that you see on their site in beige color with a discount of 500INR is what I picked up. The quality is definitely acceptable for the price paid. They fit precisely in all 3 rows without leaving any gap where you can suspect minute particles or dust to fall out. I would be happy if the driver side mat survives even for 3 years for my guaranteed driving of 64 kms a day.
Rest of the sides you know the passenger won't rest leg on their ankle but more flatly and hence it will hold just like how my mats in WagonR have held up till today.
Also, the driver mat has a raised area with metallic grill (refer pic in previous posts) and I believe it should last long.
These mats are light, flexible (very) too. In fact the parcel will come with second and third row mats bent into half as they are one piece and wide while front ones are individual pieces.
Being more of a DIY guy myself, I have followed those threads actively and was keenly contemplating to make those noodle mats but the price with discount for these mats were VFM for me.
In fact for the WagonR I have made mats which have thick floor fabric on one side and pasted Yoga mats below them. When it rains I simply turn those mats upside down.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed