Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 01:39   #541
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A personal requirement . In fact, I am also thinking to move the Kenwood Double DIN I have to the WagonR (Has BT connectivity) and install an Android Unit in my Ertiga.
Hey,

I own a 2012 Ertiga myself and this ICE HU upgrade has been on my radar as well.. Does anyone have any opinions on which unit to upgrade to and of course what will be the cost of this upgrade and any recommended guys to do it?

I also am thinking of changing my stock tyres to the Michelin Primacy 4ST 195/65 R15 OR should I go for 195/60 R15? Any Pros and Cons/ recommendations?

Thanks guys!!!

Vikram
Ertiga 2012 Dec - 67K kms
Old 15th September 2019, 04:29   #542
Senior - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Hey,

I own a 2012 Ertiga myself and this ICE HU upgrade has been on my radar as well.. Does anyone have any opinions on which unit to upgrade to and of course what will be the cost of this upgrade and any recommended guys to do it?

I also am thinking of changing my stock tyres to the Michelin Primacy 4ST 195/65 R15 OR should I go for 195/60 R15? Any Pros and Cons/ recommendations?

Thanks guys!!!

Vikram
Ertiga 2012 Dec - 67K kms
It normally works other way, you fix a budget and then make an ICE setup for that. You can find a lot of information in ICE section threads.

There is a thread on Ertiga tyres as well with many options discussed.
Old 1st November 2019, 09:45   #543

Hello, Mr. Parag. Please, can you share details of the person who did your upholstery? I need help changing seat covers for my 2009 Toyota Innova.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:49   #544
BHPian

Congratulations Parag. Your thread has been a guide for many of us.

Just wanted to share my recent experience on Engine Oil change done on my Ertiga ZDI+ (2016). I was keen on trying the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Full Synthetic oil as car had already crossed 30k mark. So I went to Shell on Old Madras Road and as I was enquiring they told there is no discount on the oil but oil change is done free of cost. I looked up Amazon and found the same engine oil was available with 58% discount. So immediately decided to return home. I did so, after buying the oil filter, ac filter and air filter (all from Bosch) from the Shell Petrol Pump.

On returning home, I ordered the 4L can of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 engine oil for Rs2100 and found an option to add oil change service by paying additional Rs450 to the Amazon cart. I added the oil change service also, which included oil change and filter replacement service. I chose the service date 2 days later as delivery date of oil was showing as next day. Later I found that this service is done by PitStop personnel.
As promised, I got the delivery of oil can next day and manufacturing date was just 2 month old (a new stock) and scratch code and QR code on the bottle felt genuine as I checked the code on Shell's website.

On day-2, the person from PitStop called me and came over to my home for the oil change service. The guy was very professional and had all tools needed for the job. It took him 50mins for the entire service - it included oil drain, filter replacement (diesel filter, engine oil filter and AC filter). Also topped up the coolant from 1L bottle bought earlier from Shell. He also poured the older engine oil into separate can which I can use for lubrication of gates, hinges, etc.

We also started the engine and made it to run in idle for 10mins. Once everything was fine he did a second check on everything and left with a thank you note. I took the vehicle for a drive locally and found increased pickup and marginally reduction of engine noise.
I have driven 1.5k kms after the oil change and so far happy with engine performance.
Total Saving: Rs 3850 - Rs 2100 - Rs 450 = Rs 1300/-.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2019 at 12:09. Reason: Spacing.
souravbasu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 17:27   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow brother!

1.75 lakh km with the 1.3 DDIS!

This makes me feel so much more confident about retaining my ciaz for 6 more years (10 year mark). I am at 1 lakh km mark(hopefully by this weekend), and the car still feels new. This thread will be my reference for future replacements and maintenance beyond 1 lakh km.

Thank you for the very detailed documentation
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 19:00   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Roadtrips continue, miles keep munching

Quite a long time since the last update and that means the workhorse is performing its duty as usual but this thread has to see some updates at least. Over the last 2 years, the Ertiga has remained our faithful companion for most of the planned and impromptu trips. Needless to say, I had captured these images during many of such trips.
  • When we drove to Ananthapur and back for a charity event:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-kalyandurgbordermaker.jpg
  • One from the Monsoon drive from 2018:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-rairashwar-ghatbordermaker.jpg
  • When the Ertiga and Ciaz with their families headed to Goa:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-09-goa-lunch-stopbordermaker.jpg
  • Some TLC to mitigate sticky seat cover after that beach bath by the kids and the adults:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-10-shrink-wrapbordermaker.jpg
  • Parked at Colva beach parking lot:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-11-colvabordermaker.jpg
  • Utilizing kids’ X-mas holidays (2018) by driving to home-town and showing them the coffee culture right from where it belongs:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-15-belur-estatebordermaker.jpg
  • One of those impromptu Mangalore drives and FunkyKar at the wheel for a change (March 2019):
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-17-funkykarbordermaker.jpg
  • Usual poses during the same drive:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-19-mangalorebordermaker.jpg
  • In the next week itself, headed for another drive to Mangalore and Udupi, this time with 3 families and a Ciaz for company:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-21-malpebordermaker.jpg
  • Kids pose at St. Mary’s Island ferry point’s parking lot:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20-malpebordermaker.jpg
  • Breakfast drive with the usual suspects speedsatya and arunjosie:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-32-bf-drivebordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-33-bf-drivebordermaker.jpg
  • Family drive in May to Idukki:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-36-idukkibordermaker.jpg
  • Father-Daughter drive from Bangalore to Aurangabad, meeting BHPian vivek95 en-route:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-38-meet-greetbordermaker.jpg
  • Companion for her, second to none:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-39-aurangabad-tripbordermaker.jpg
  • Family trip to Chikmagalur:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-56-chikmagalurbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-57-chikmagalurbordermaker.jpg
  • Trip to Coorg with office colleagues, posing at Bisile Ghat view point:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-63-bisile-view-pointbordermaker.jpg
  • Another Father-Daughter drive to a friend’s estate. This time the kids pose happily after that Jeep ride:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-65-belur-estatebordermaker.jpg
  • To end 2019, an unplanned drive to Gujarat and back. Posing somewhere after entering Gujarat after Mumbai:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-67-pit-stopbordermaker.jpg
  • Her second home:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-68-car-homebordermaker.jpg
  • Parked along with another workhorse at Mehasana, Gujarat that has also clocked 1.9L Kms:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-69-workhorsesbordermaker.jpg
  • Something that didn’t want to miss positing. The WagonR visited here in May 2012 during the Golden Quadrilateral drive when its Odometer was 1.67L Km. The Ertiga visited here for the 4th time last year.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-70-20122019bordermaker.jpg
  • Few pictures when we drove to Jamnagar and Narara reef:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-72-around-gulfbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-73-around-gulfbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-74-around-gulfbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-75-around-gulfbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-77-around-gulfbordermaker.jpg
  • Honestly, you cannot miss HONEST when driving on Gujarat highways:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-78-return-gjbordermaker.jpg
  • The trip to GJ ended with a lunch meet with BHPian 500Conticruiser near Dharwad:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-79-dharwadbordermaker.jpg
Service related updates will follow in subsequent posts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th January 2020 at 19:09.
paragsachania is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:00   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[b][i][u][center] [*]Parked at Colva beach parking lot:
Attachment 1958901
[*]To end 2019, an unplanned drive to Gujarat and back. Posing somewhere after entering Gujarat after Mumbai:
Attachment 1958918
[*]Parked along with another workhorse at Mehasana, Gujarat that has also clocked 1.9L Kms:
Attachment 1958920
Nice Pics, Parag.

Isn't Colva the same place where portions of the Ajay Devgn Singham was shot?

Id have loved to meet you in GJ; anyways, next time.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:24   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Isn't Colva the same place where portions of the Ajay Devgn Singham was shot?
Yes indeed vigsom. It is the same Colva .

Quote:
Id have loved to meet you in GJ; anyways, next time.
My schedule was absolutely unplanned. In fact after starting from Bangalore and halting at Mumbai, we weren't sure whether to drive to Rajkot first and then spend time at Amdavad, Gandhinagar & Mehasana later or the other way round. I was very specific to drive somewhere at the end of the year but strictly not to touristy places and hence ended up driving to Gujarat and meeting my folks around here.

Planning another one during Navratri and that is the time I will certainly meet you. I was in touch with n4nikunj as well and we were to catch up but our schedules didn't allow that to happen.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:41   #549
BHPian

Quote:
175,175 Km and still munching....

And happily parked along its companion that will reach 250,000 in few more days from now.

The WagonR has different set of reasons (practical) that I won't get rid of him any soon.
Wow - That is some serious mile munching Parag. Wish you another 2 lakhs of trouble free safe rides with your Ertiga
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:48   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Periodic Servicing and other updates:
While I have been visiting the ASC for the 20K Interval service, I have otherwise visited FNG for the 10K interval service mainly because it would involve just the Engine oil and filter changes. There have been no issues so far with the mechanicals or electrical of the car and the ownership till date has been reliable to say the least. Here is a pictorial summary of some updates related to servicing and issues that were faced.
  • Greasing the gearshift mechanism:
    This was done purely out of curiosity and nothing else. While cleaning the car from inside I opened up the gear lever console, got the grease and applied at relevant sections below the gear lever.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-07-gear-lubricatebordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-08-gear-lubricatebordermaker.jpg
  • Lending a helping hand:
    One of my neighbor’s i20 had suffered crank issues due to weak battery and this is when a jumpstart helped to bring it back to life.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-13-lends-helping-handbordermaker.jpg
  • Fixed that cracked bumper:
    The bumper had suffered a minor crack on the left hand side corner which was due for repair. Got it done during one of my visits to the same FNG that specializes in body work.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-14-fixed-bumperbordermaker.jpg
  • Periodic service at 170,000 Km:
    This was carried out at the FNG. I picked the parts from MGP store nearby and the service was carried out by a known mechanic within 2 hours. I am now sticking to Motul X-Cess 8100 5W40 for Engine oil as I am very much satisfied with its performance. I will personally rate this better to the famed Delvac from Mobil where I really had to struggle myself to accept that it was no special oil for MJD, at least for my car. The difference I felt with Motul was indeed remarkable.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-22-170k-servicebordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-25-170k-servicebordermaker.jpg
  • It was during this service where I got the rear drums checked. The drums were showing signs of ageing, thanks to ABS+EBD that ensured even wear all over and it was due to replacement.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-27-170k-servicebordermaker.jpg
  • Within a week after this service, I visited a multi-brand FNG to get the drums and rear brake liners replaced. Although I couldn’t capture images during the replacement, here is what I could capture during a tire rotation session at a nearby tire shop that show the brand new drums.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-34-new-drumsbordermaker.jpg
  • WagonR was non ABS. It saw the first replacement of Drums and Liners at 220,000 Km. Ertiga had it coming at 170,000 Km. Reason – In a car equipped with ABS + EBD, the brake distribution is mostly even all across the 4 wheels and this had resulted in the rear drums and liners put to good use all the times.

• Engine Malfunction Indicator for the first time in my ownership:
    This happened when we were driving back from Shimoga last April. Soon after hitting the dual carriageway, I started to gain speeds and at one point I had to release the throttle to create that gap to overtake few vehicles ahead that were overtaking as well. As soon as I pressed the throttle after these few seconds, I noticed the car sounding rough (almost zero turbo kick) and the malfunction indicator lighting up on the Dashboard. I pulled over, shut down the engine, cranked the engine again but the light wouldn’t go. Opened the hood, checked for any loose couplers, visibly cracked hoses, leaking fluids but found none. The levels of essential fluids too were within limits. I let the car idle for few seconds and then we started and everything was back to normal. We drove for the next 120 Km to home in my usual style, including 30 Km of single carriageway where there were quite a few instances of overtaking quickly and using that Turbo band. Everything was normal.

• Soon after reaching home and parking, I get my OBD adapter, plug it in and read the error code via App and here is what it had recorded.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-30-fault-codebordermaker.jpg
  • Since the issue never came back again, I also cleared the fault code. But I was somehow not sure if the age of the Turbo control valve actuator was to do with this incident. I managed to get this part at the MGP and replaced this at home. After this, the car has clocked over 25,000 Km and there has been no recurrence of this ever.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-31-tc-control-valvebordermaker.jpg
  • Firming up the driver side seat spring:
    The driver side seat had started to feel softer than usual. I had earlier read updated from a fellow BHPian on how replacing the springs below the cushion will improvise this. So I visited my usual seat cover fella who carried out this job for me in a hour. The difference after this was definitely positive and the seat felt a lot firmer after this.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-50-seat-springsbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-51-seat-springsbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-54-seat-springsbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-55-seat-springsbordermaker.jpg
  • Windshield replacement:
    Right at the end of first year, Ertiga had suffered a minor web crack (diameter of 5 Rs coin) that stayed as is till recently when one of the mornings I noticed a linear crack that had nothing to do with this web crack. I am still clueless as to where and how this happened but was sure that a linear crack would soon expand and the glass would give away. Took an appointment with Windshield Experts, Dickenson Road, Bangalore and got this replaced.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-59-ws-replacementbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-60-ws-replacementbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-61-ws-replacementbordermaker.jpg
  • Suspension replacement:
    I visited Surakshaa Car Care before my next mega drive to Gujarat for the 180K Periodic service. I was apprehensive about the suspension and had asked them to check the health of the same. I was given a call to inform that one of the front suspension had a minor leak while the rear suspension were quite OK. Since I am too finicky about this, I asked them to replaced all the suspension together once for all, including the lower arms. So the stock suspension of the Ertiga lasted for over 180,000 Km although the rear suspension still had good life for at least another 10,000 Km. Soon after suspension replacement, a visit to Madhus for alignment was imminent.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-64-madhusbordermaker.jpg
  • LED Parking lamp and Rear LED reflector:
    Pardon me for not taking images while carrying out these replacements. I replaced the front parking/pilot lamps with white LEDs. I also replaced the rear LED reflectors that I had made myself few years back with something that was readily available this time and of-course, becoming more prominent with almost every Maruti that you see around.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-35-new-reflectorsbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-66-led-park-lightsbordermaker.jpg
  • Periodic washing:
    Found a good place near my home where I visited once in a month or 2 months for a proper foam wash (I don’t wash my car very frequently). These are images from the same washing center.
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-58-washbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-81-washbordermaker.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-62-wash-testbordermaker.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 10:12   #551
BHPian

Awesome Parag Bhai!! I guess nobody would believe that this car has done so many kilometers if they see these images!!

Wishing you many more miles of safe and joyful driving on your Ertiga!!

And also, thank you for always being available for tips and guidance when needed!!

Regards
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 10:42   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Odometer update, Interiors and exteriors:

Finally, here is the much needed update on what the latest Odometer reading is , some pictures of the how the exteriors look and how the interiors are holding up.
  • Odometer reading as on last evening: 188,303 Km
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-01-odometer.jpg
  • Few exterior shots from various angles:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-exterior-1.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-exterior-3.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-exterior-4.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-02-exterior-5.jpg
  • Seating and upholstery:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-int-upholstery-1.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-int-upholstery-2.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-int-upholstery-3.jpg
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03-int-upholstery-4.jpg
  • Steering wheel grip/cover that is showing its age, run at least 150,000 Km:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-04-steering-grip.jpg
  • ICE and AC Controls:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-05-steering-grip.jpg
  • Power Window Switch console:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-07-power-window-swicthes.jpg
  • Gear Knob:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-06-gear-knob.jpg
  • Front tires after clocking 80,000 Kms:
    Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-08-tire-1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th January 2020 at 08:23. Reason: Repeated images deleted
paragsachania is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 11:47   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One word - Insane condition. No person can make out the age of the car seeing the pictures. Perhaps durability is also a result of the way things are maintained. There have been comments about mirror controls or power window switches being of poor quality. Have you replaced them anytime?
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 11:56   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
There have been comments about mirror controls or power window switches being of poor quality. Have you replaced them anytime?
Not at all. This is the reason why I posted images of AC Controls and the Power Window switches because I have come across cars from Maruti where I see the letters fade. In fact, I had earlier posted pictures of my WagonR too where the switches and lettering on the combination switch have remained as good as new.

Here you can notice slight fading of the Door Lock-Unlock switch more so the unlock part mainly because that's the one I use more than any. Next one is of course the "Auto" on power window switch of driver which is faded to some extent. But I am happy with its life as the car is nearly 1.9 L km.

Planning to replace the gear knob with Ciaz's sometime soon.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 12:46   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Finally, here is the much needed update on what the latest
Whenever my mind throws me a reminder that my ciaz is getting old (4.5 years and 106k km now), I come to your threads and suddenly find my ciaz underused lol

Amazing maintenance of your cars!! I will also get to the 180+k km mark in a couple of years I guess. My respect for proper maintenance and the terrific 1.3 diesel mill keeps increasing every day.

Thank you for the effort in documenting your extremely well done maintenance work. You inspire us!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks