Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:52   #151
BHPian

Re: DIY Armrest Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
May be if someone else is driving your car, first thing you do it fold up the armrest and never give a hint that there exists one.
Thanks a lot Parag for your response. I avoid giving my car to someone else, as much as possible, and would only give it to my father or brother or some close friends. And I'll show them how its done . As far as I am comfortable with it, I am good!

I think I am going to go for it. And taking further inspiration from you, I am thinking of making a DIY project of this. I see you have drilled holes in the handbrake cover, Did you use a drilling machine for it? (will I need a drilling machine?)
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:38   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY Armrest Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
I see you have drilled holes in the handbrake cover, Did you use a drilling machine for it? (will I need a drilling machine?)
You wont need a drilling machine. Just make a small hole first, insert a screw and turn in clockwise and that will ensure to make the hole bigger. Taper the Hole edge so that you can then insert the bolt with ease.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:43   #153
BHPian

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi, 20000 kms report

Thanks Parag for answering my queries.

I too set up my seat backrest in a upright position. I feel comfortable driving in a more upright setup like the dining chair position. In fact this is what exactly i wanted to check, if this is possible in Ertiga. You were spot on with the explanation.

We are thinking of renting an Ertiga from Myles and try out 1-2 day trip with family, to ensure the car meets our need.

I know that Ertiga will offer an excellent driving dynamics, I am just worried or kind of hesitant to sit a little low compared to the Bolero. Infact if i miss something in Bolero its the triple digit cruising capability. Else i prefer the stiff and composed ride quality of Bolero. Reason for not looking at another Mahindra has been their pathetic service.

We had 2 Marutis earlier for a total of 11 years and love the service, simplicity and cost factor.

Well, Thanks again. If we decide on the Ertiga anytime soon, I would like to pick up a Granite Grey ZDi without alloys (if that's still an option).
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:46   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Parag Sir, first of all, wishing that Ertiga too serves you like your Waggy !!!!
A query-Does your Ertiga's middle row of seats rattle when going over undulations?? This happens in my ZXi whenever the seat is empty.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:06   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Parag Sir, first of all, wishing that Ertiga too serves you like your Waggy !!!!
A query-Does your Ertiga's middle row of seats rattle when going over undulations?? This happens in my ZXi whenever the seat is empty.
Have been discussing this with Prodigy over calls and PMs.

Did your Ertiga went in for replacement seat covers? - Have seen the upholstery fellas ignore torquing the bolts along the hinges of the seats after fitting the seat covers. Secondly, please check if the Head restraints are pulled up as they tend to vibrate and are noisy. I usually keep them at the lowest position. (if there are no passengers)

Have you verified the source of noise from seats (or is that the rear AC Blower Unit?) - There are many users complaining about rattle from rear AC Blower unit as well. Simply hit your fist right below the AC blower and listen to rattles and if yes, get that fixed at the ASC.

If you have installed 'Art' leather seats, the 60:40 Split results in the seat back sides rubbing against each other creating a squeaky noise. Try keeping both the seat back away from each other by moving one of them ahead/behind through the rails.

The 3rd Row seats have a huge play and they do shake (For me when I turn off the Engine) but apart from this, they haven't been a cause for concern.

For the benefit of many like you, I would try to post a pictorial of how you can torque the bolts for the second row.

For the 3rd row play, I need to assess what can be the best solution apart from keeping that folded down.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd July 2014 at 19:09.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:33   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

There have been instances where the Ertiga owners have complained about the seats rattling due to excessive play. To be honest, I faced this problem only with the first row seats only after getting the seat covers done.

Apparently, the seat cover chap had ignored torquing the bolts properly resulting in more than usual play and the seats were shaking when there were no passengers on it.

I checked a few Ertigas owned by colleagues and at the Service center and realised that the play was more than usual and hence suspected the hinge bolts to be loose. Fixed this in under 10 minutes while I was in Rajkot in Jan 2014.

Now that owners are complaining about this "Issue", I managed to take things apart this morning and took pictures to help understand how to fix this issue for the 1st and 2nd row seats.

Please note that I have explained this pictorially for the Front Row left as well as second row left seats and the logic is applicable to the right counterparts as well.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_092832.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_092900.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_093043.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_093234.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_093238.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_094202.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_093523.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_093657.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_094406.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140723_094540.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 09:06   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Except for few drives over the weekends and regular errands to work and back, there hasn't been anything significant to update in terms of the ownership.

The Odometer is closing in on the 24,000 figure and will quietly reach the 1/9th of what the Ertiga's sibling WagonR is on right now (~220,000 kms).

A sober 100Kms at a steady 80kmph:
So myself along with Funkykar set out on a lazy Sunday morning for a one day drive to Malalli Falls in Coorg and back. We both decided that we drive not more than 80kmph throughout the drive. Rest the Average FE meter before start, drove out of the city and stopped 105 kms away from Home to see the Average FE display this:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140720_083007.jpg

After driving for 500+ kms and reaching back home on a later Sunday evening, the final number settled to this:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140720_194434.jpg

Here are a few Snaps captured from the drive:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140720_124535.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140720_123639.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140720_124641.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140720_123607.jpg

Apart from this, I also installed a 2 DIN Head Unit with Bluetooth for the want of Bluetooth
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-kenwood-night.jpg

The complete installation was a DIY and is captured in detail on a separate thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...bluetooth.html
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 12:31   #158
BHPian

Hey Parag, still relishing your thread.
I saw you yesterday on the Electronic City Flyover towards Silkboard junction. You overtook me. I had a hunch it was you, but confirmed only after I saw the registration plate in the thread today.
Daily drive back home, huh?
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 12:58   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Hey Parag, still relishing your thread.
I saw you yesterday on the Electronic City Flyover towards Silkboard junction. You overtook me. I had a hunch it was you, but confirmed only after I saw the registration plate in the thread today.
Daily drive back home, huh?
On so that White Polo with a LTD sticker on the rear bumper was you!

I remember overtaking you as well as you heading left towards the signal below Silkboard (while I headed straight up) and even tried to look at you to get acknowledged but never got it.

In fact, soon after I overtook on BETL, I waved my hands sitting inside thinking you would notice that through my rear windscreen.

I somehow had to guess later that it would a non-Bhpian! Glad to read this here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th August 2014 at 12:59.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:03   #160
BHPian

Quote:
On so that White Polo with a LTD sticker on the rear bumper was you!

I remember overtaking you as well as you heading left towards the signal below Silkboard (while I headed straight up) and even tried to look at you to get acknowledged but never got it.

In fact, soon after I overtook on BETL, I waved my hands sitting inside thinking you would notice that through my rear windscreen.

I somehow had to guess later that it would a non-Bhpian! Glad to read this here.
Hmmm... I didn't see your wave, probably because of the blinding headlights of cars behind me . When I caught up at Silkboard, i tried to wave, but you were already on your way up. Anyway, at-least we acknowledged each other now.
That's not my daily route, but great that I saw you and your Ertiga.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 19:42   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

25,000 KMS up!

10 Months & 8 days = 25,000 KMS
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20140824_192200.jpg
Nothing much to report since the the last 20,000 service apart from the fact that I Installed a 2 DIN Head Unit with Bluetooth and Hertz 6.5 Inch components as well, recently.

Issues/Niggles - None so far (Touchwood!)
Drives planned - Except for a planned one to Chennai coming up in 2 weeks, rest of the drives just keep happening without much planning!

List of all the modifications/accessories added so far:
  • MGA Rear Spoiler
  • DIY Driver Armrest
  • Tires upgraded to Michelin XM2 205/60/15
  • Headlights upgraded to Philips 100/90 with Relay Kit
  • Pair of Hella Wind Tone Horns
  • DIY 12v Accessory socket
  • DIY 2 DIN Head Unit install with component speakers

In the end, the ODO keeps ticking.....!
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 05:18   #162
Team-BHP Support

Just curious as to what is that warning light glowing near the '0' of the tachometer? Haven't seen such a design warning lamp in other cars.
Old 7th September 2014, 04:22   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Just curious as to what is that warning light glowing near the '0' of the tachometer? Haven't seen such a design warning lamp in other cars.
That is the icon for illumination intensity.

The knob which you see beside the '0' if rotated clockwise increases the brightness of the instrumentation console + HU + A/C and if rotated anti-clockwise decreases the brightness.

IIRC, there are 10 points for brightness adjustment.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 11:22   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That is the icon for illumination intensity.

The knob which you see beside the '0' if rotated clockwise increases the brightness of the instrumentation console + HU + A/C and if rotated anti-clockwise decreases the brightness.

IIRC, there are 10 points for brightness adjustment.

Anurag.
I guess the control is only for the instrument Panel and not the AC Controls and Head Unit. I have never noticed anything else than the console brightness alter upon twisting the Knob.
Also, the setting has 5 levels and not 10.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 11:40   #165
BANNED

Quote:

I guess the control is only for the instrument Panel and not the AC Controls and Head Unit. I have never noticed anything else than the console brightness alter upon twisting the Knob.
Also, the setting has 5 levels and not 10.
Bhai, don't know how it works in VDi variant but in my Swift the instrumentation console + HU + ACC do get dim and bright with the twist to that knob.

I guess there are more than 5 points though all not that effective. Shall post a pic of the number of points for adjustment soon.

Anurag.

Most Viewed