Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2016, 12:37   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

On the other side of 100,000 kms

A drive to South Interior Karnataka - 750 kms (July 2016)

A drive to Ratnagiri, MSH4 and Back - 1750 Kms (July 2016)

A drive again to South Interior Karnataka - 650 Kms (July 2016)

These drives in one month alone added 3150 kms at least but what was really stopping the Ertiga to reach the 1L Kms mark was my office commute. I ended up working from home for almost a fortnight that delayed reaching this major milestone.

And then, for a full week, it was resting at home without a crank and shy of 160 kms that I somehow made up my mind to drive Friday night to Kunigal and back and reach the 100K figure:

Took 2 Years and 9 Months to reach here and I still felt this was slowest in the last 10,000 kms .

Short of another 74 kms as I wait to head back home:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160805_220043bordermaker.jpg

Customary images!
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160805_231918_richtonehdrbordermaker.jpgTallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160805_232030_richtonehdrbordermaker.jpg

Workhorse keeps running:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-after-bfbordermaker.jpg

A "long" shot:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-untitledbordermaker.jpg

My way is the highway:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-_mg_9295bordermaker.jpg

One with the faithful stead:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-03_parag.jpg

Significant snippets from the overall ownership so far:
  • Average daily running is ~ 100 Kms

• Average Highway running is almost 50%

• Average Highway FE hovers between 18-20 KMPL

• Average City FE is anywhere between 15.5-17KMPL

• Parts replaced under Warranty - Steering Rack (@ 57,000 kms)

• Brake Pads - Replaced first at 82,000 Kms

• Disc Rotors - Stock

• Brake Shoes - Stock

• Brake Drums - Stock

• Suspension - Stabilizer link road (50,000 kms<RHS> & 77,000 kms<LHS>)

• Front Suspension bush kit - 94,000 kms

• Switched to Michelin XM2 (205/60/R15) when Odo was 16,000 kms and after 84,000 kms, the tires are good for another 5000 kms - Replacement soon

• Timing chain will be duly replaced during the next Periodic service

• Have used both Mineral and Synthetic Engine oil over the last 9 services with the same Grade and have found no significant difference, Will switch to Mobil 1 Delvac this time to ascertain the difference

The only major irritant was the Synchoronizer Ring issue that surfaced around 95,000 kms. For this apart from the usual Sync rings as part of the Gearbox, the complete clutch assembly was replaced and I paid out of my pocket since the Extended Warranty was over.

Apart from this, all I can say is the Oil Burner keeps spinning the wheels.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th August 2016 at 12:58.
paragsachania is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 13:01   #407
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Hey Parag

You are one amazing brand ambassador for Ertiga. And in fact for any vehicle that you own and maintain.

Congratulations on the 1,00,000 kms. Imagine less than 3 years and you are already crossing a 5 figure mark.

My brother in law, then north zone sales head, has a Punto D and in the initial 8 months he was driving all the way from Srinagar to Udaipur very regularly before moving into another role and city. He had hit 75k in 9 months or so. My nephew has a Scorpio and his Scorpio has done 37k in 6 months or so (including two trips from Gurgaon to Bangalore/Kochi/Wellington). However, none of them crossed 1,00,000 in the time frame you have.

Tires still going strong?

Keep munching the miles. Best wishes for all your future drives.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 13:15   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
You are one amazing brand ambassador for Ertiga. And in fact for any vehicle that you own and maintain.
Thanks Rajain & you are so right about it. It would not have mattered what I owned but incidentally its the Ertiga this time

Quote:
Congratulations on the 1,00,000 kms. Imagine less than 3 years and you are already crossing a 5 figure mark.
As I always say, you buy a Diesel thinking its Fuel efficient and you will save few bucks during every long travel, you only end up driving more and more.

Take the case of WagonR for example :
  • 100000 KMS at the end of 4th Year of ownership
  • 200000 KMS after another 3 Years and 2 Months

Going by that Standard, the Ertiga has seen the 100000 figure quite early I must say, faster by more than a Year and few months.

So in reality, I am driving more than what I used to in the WagonR.

EDIT: On Tyres, they have come a long way and excellent in terms of life and before I forget, the Rear left hand side tire suffered a puncture that I noticed when taking the Ertiga out after a 5 day rest. So for a record, that is actually the first ever puncture in the Ertiga (Or rather the XM2s itself) in its 1 Lakh kms of running. The culprit was a nail and I inflated the wheel, drove to a nearby puncture repair shop and got it fixed.

Last drive on NH17 the grip levels at this age was simply excellent on wet roads. Of course, the life is at its fag end even with some good tread left so that will see a replacement very soon.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th August 2016 at 13:32.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 18:33   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations again parag on reaching the 6 figure markYou have reached this milestone in quick time and you have maintained the car superbly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
As I always say, you buy a Diesel thinking its Fuel efficient and you will save few bucks during every long travel, you only end up driving more and more.
This is very true. In my WagonR, the average usage was around 1K Kms a month. But after moving to Diesel, the usage went up drastically.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 22:35   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other side of 100,000 kms

Apart from this, all I can say is the Oil Burner keeps spinning the wheels.
Many congratulations Parag on reaching that magical 6 digit figure on the odo of your Ertiga . I know that you are used to seeing such figures by now, but one can't have enough even after staring at the odo for hours together.

Your Ertiga has proved to be a reliable workhorse (barring few glitches) & I am sure it can go another one lakh kms, like your Wagon-R. Your thread (along with few other Ertiga ownership threads) has been an inspiration for me. I had almost decided to get myself the ZDi SHVS from the first lot, but the delay in its launch last Oct got the better off me and I had to look elsewhere (given that it was getting very difficult living without a car after selling my pre-worshipped Innova).

Looking forward to regular updates on your Ertiga.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 07:36   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations Parag on reaching that magical 6 digit figure on the odo of your Ertiga
Thanks Deepak.

Quote:
I know that you are used to seeing such figures by now, but one can't have enough even after staring at the odo for hours together.
To me, 1L wasn't as exciting as it was in the WagonR. And once the WagonR also clocked the 2L Milestone, 1L In the Ertiga felt very usual mainly because this wasn't any major benchmark like the WagonR that was one of the rare cars to have clocked 2L with everything related to Engine and Gearbox as stock. Personally, I feel that was one of the most proud moments for me. Since it is the same DDiS engine doing duty on a long list of cars, my Ertiga reaching 2L won't really be anything noteworthy at all given the density of DDiS engines on our roads . However, I primary differentiator would be the way I will maintain it at 2L or more!

Quote:
Your Ertiga has proved to be a reliable workhorse (barring few glitches) & I am sure it can go another one lakh kms
I was so hopeful that the Synchronizer ring issue would never crop up in my Ertiga as it had shown no symptoms till 97,000 kms and I considered myself the lucky one like few others. But that ended my hopes one day and to me that was the only "glitch" so far.

The Steering rack noise is what I will blame it on Wear and Tear and the quality of the part itself and steering being one of the components that takes a lot of abuse. However, that noise never stopped me from driving without any worries. The Sync ring issue on the other hand was something I would worry about like I have mentioned - It was a glitch that may have given me some tensed moments, especially while climbing ghats !

Quote:
like your Wagon-R. Your thread (along with few other Ertiga ownership threads) has been an inspiration for me.
Thank you for those words. WagonR will remain close to heart - It has never seen a single warranty claim and nor was the gearbox ever opened till now at 230,000!

Quote:
I had almost decided to get myself the ZDi SHVS from the first lot, but the delay in its launch last Oct got the better off me and I had to look elsewhere (given that it was getting very difficult living without a car after selling my pre-worshipped Innova).
I can totally understand the situation you went through but then TUV 300 has been a wonderful product that ticked most of the boxes for you, mainly the RWD & I must tell you that the look has a character of its own!

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th August 2016 at 07:39.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 13:14   #412
BHPian

Parag Sir,

I am little late to join the party but Congratulations!

Quote:
Have used both Mineral and Synthetic Engine oil over the last 9 services with the same Grade and have found no significant difference, Will switch to Mobil 1 Delvac this time to ascertain the difference
A Castrol dealer friend of mine recommended me Castrol Edge. His opinion, Mobil Delvac 1 is not meant for car. I checked on Mobil website and Mobil Delvac 1 is not listed under car engine oils instead it is listed under heavy duty engine oils. Mobil Super™ 3000 X2 5W-40 is recommended for cars on Mobil website.

I think even Maruti uses Mobil Super.

Mobil Website
http://lubes.mobil.com/AP-English-LC...-x2-5w40.aspx#

Castrol Website
http://www.castrol.com/en_in/india/c...duct-page.html
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 16:16   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
His opinion, Mobil Delvac 1 is not meant for car. I checked on Mobil website and Mobil Delvac 1 is not listed under car engine oils instead it is listed under heavy duty engine oils. Mobil Super™ 3000 X2 5W-40 is recommended for cars on Mobil website.
I noticed that ever since I was contemplating on placing an order online. In fact Amazon also lists Mobil1 MGDO 5W40.

Then I also stumbled upon this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4022605

Then I spoke to couple of friends offline and as well checked the Synthetic Vs Mineral oil thread and realised most of the DDiS car the Bhpians owned have had very good experience with Mobil 1 MGDO thats quite popular on Amazon.

It is sure that I am moving to Mobil 1 this time only because I have heard a lot of positive reviews about it. Want to ascertain how different is that from Shell MGDO of the same grade. Just want to rule out that placebo effect .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 11:24   #414
BHPian

Hi, have an sx4 diesel that has 1.25 on the odo and has pretty much the same maintenance that you have seen except that the disc pads have been replaced twice.
In the last service the advisor told me that there is a slight noise from the timing chain and here you too mention that the chain will be duly replaced. I thought chains last the same as engine and my service book has no mention of it. Is Ertiga's case different or is this good as a preventive maintenance given the criticality of the component?
Old 15th August 2016, 12:00   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
I thought chains last the same as engine and my service book has no mention of it. Is Ertiga's case different or is this good as a preventive maintenance given the criticality of the component?
Well no. Timing chains won't last as much as engines do. Take the case for Punto and Linea and they have their chain replacement happen between 80-1L kms if I recall (was 60-80).

Even my SA told that the chain will be replaced based on a distinct noise heard from the Engine bay indicating that the chain has become weak (loose links).

Also, many friends owning a Swift or Dzire who have crossed 1.2 Lac kms haven't replaced the chain as yet. But then, imagine the damage to engine is the chain breaks and snaps!!! It's catastrophic. Will replace the chain around 110-115K interval for sure.
Old 15th August 2016, 22:08   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well no. Timing chains won't last as much as engines do. Take the case for Punto and Linea and they have their chain replacement happen between 80-1L kms if I recall (was 60-80).
For Linea/Punto(90bhp MJD), the timing chain has to be replaced every 60K Kms. Recently they came up with a new timing chain which has an extended life up to 90K Kms.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:49   #417
BHPian

Congratulations Parag Bhai!!!

1L kms in less than 3 years!!! Hats off to you Reading your blog makes me feel proud to own an Ertiga Wishing you many more trouble free enjoyable kms!!!
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 10:30   #418
BHPian

Hello Parag Sir,

This is related to up sizing of tires. One of my friend (Owner of Ertiga ZDi) is in process of changing his tires to 205/60/R15. He is worried about fitment of spare Tyre in the allotted space. Did you face any issues?, as the size he is switching to is same as your up sized tires.

Thanks in Advance,
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:18   #419
BHPian

Hello Parag Bhai,

Any updates on the tyres?
Old 29th September 2016, 20:31   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
He is worried about fitment of spare Tyre in the allotted space. Did you face any issues?, as the size he is switching to is same as your up sized tires.
Apologies - I read your post but then I totally forgot to respond back soon. Hope I am not too late.

Regarding your query, here is my response:

I have upgraded only 4 tires while I have retained the spare wheel with OE specs. However, do keep in mind that the upsize will only be wider and not really any bigger in terms of circumference. So the tire will only occupy more volume in terms of its height when its resting facing the ceiling.

Secondly, the spare wheel for the Ertiga is mounted on the frame beneath it. This upsize will not cause any obstruction in terms of mounting the wheel o the frame and then lifting it up, hooking to the U-Clamp and then pulling the frame up by rotating the stud from the boot. Worse case, the clamp will only rest few mm lower than its usual position to accommodate wider tires.

Here's an picture from official review along with textual illustration to help you:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-marutiertiga24.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Parag Bhai,

Any updates on the tyres?
Was waiting to take few pictures of the tires in its present condition. I managed to do that today and hence responding.

I haven't driven much since the past update. This month has been the only one from the recent past that I have not even driven to work for more than 10 days and mostly been working from home. That full tank of diesel is still at quarter mark which otherwise would be the 3rd refill at he same level under normal circumstances. The Odometer is only a little above 1.02 lac mark.

These are the pictures of all the 4 tires. I wanted to merge all the 4 pictures into one but that won't give you an idea on its tread. So attaching all 4 individually.

Front Right and Left:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160929_171824bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160929_171835bordermaker.jpg

Rear Right and Left:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160929_171900bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160929_171845bordermaker.jpg

As you can see, the tires do not require immediate attention but I am most likely to change them in the next 30-45 days depending on my drives to work or elsewhere.

Engine Oil - Mobil 1 Delvac:

In the other updates, for the first time I changed the Engine oil to Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 a month back. BHPian FunkyKar picked this for me from his usual stockist. I visited the ASC, paid for the Engine Oil filter and Air Filter and got the oil replaced along with a new Drain Nut/Plug as usual.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160829_072435bordermaker.jpg

I have only driven to work for 10 days and since my route involves significant commute in the city as well as tolled (fast) roads, I have been able to assess its performance after replacing it. In fact last Saturday I drove to Sira and back for dinner covering 250 kms only for the heck of driving.

Overall, there is no significant difference with this oil. Remember that earlier I have used both Shell MGDO Mineral (Rs 500/L)as well as Synthetic (Rs 1000 Per/L). So I wasn't expecting any major difference with Mobil 1 Delvac as well.

Cold starts sound the same as before, however the engine noise levels are o the lower side at speeds of 120 KMPH. The smoother feeling is evident when you are cruising. That typical hum at cruising speeds has reduced. Apart from that, inside city there is absolutely no difference. In terms of outright acceleration and throttle response too I find it same was stock oil.

Will I continue with Mobil 1 Delvac now? - This oil is only 2000 kms old. I will wait till 10,000 kms and then take a call but certainly not jumping to conclusion that I was bowled over by this oil and will stick to this!

Interiors Cleaning:

One of the days this week, spent time cleaning the complete interiors myself along with my father's help of course.
  • Removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats including the plastic compartment in the boot

• Dusted the entire floor carpet using vacuum cleaner covering every corner from foot well front to boot door in the back

• Wiped clean all the plastic panels - Door pads, Steering, Dash, Scuff plates, Door Sills, Seat cladding

• Cleaned all the Seats completely as well

Here are a few pictures taken during this process:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img20160928wa0014bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img20160928wa0016bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img20160928wa0018bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160928_154530bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160928_154543bordermaker.jpg

Apart from that, since the Ertiga was mostly resting than driven, a lot of dirt had accumulated all over its body and it needed a good wash. With efforts spent this week to clean the interiors, I was in no mood to to wash it myself which I usually do and hence visited a washing center nearby and got it washed too.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160929_180414bordermaker.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20160929_181557bordermaker.jpg

Till the next update, Keep revving!!!!
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks