Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 14:16   #421
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Hats off Parag Bhai...Amazed at your passion to undertake this kind of a cleaning exercise!!

The tyres look good for atleast another few thousand kms
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 14:52   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hats off Parag Bhai...Amazed at your passion to undertake this kind of a cleaning exercise!!
When I took the brave step to pick something that was all beige inside, the limits of passion had to expand to maintain it clean

Quote:
The tyres look good for atleast another few thousand kms
Indeed. These have run 84,000 Kms now. Of all the 4, only one tire (rear right) suffered a puncture a month before.

Apart from that, I follow no strict interval when it comes to alignment and balancing. That also means, I follow no rotation too.

I get the balancing and alignment done only on need basis and not every 5000 kms. This has been the case with the WagonR as well.

In fact, the current set of tires on the Ertiga may have undergone alignment & balancing not more than 3-4 times.

If I feel the slightest pull to left/right on flat roads, I suspect the air pressure first and then the alignment. If it doesn't solve, I get them aligned ASAP.

If I feel wobble at speeds excess of 90-110 KMPH, I know its balancing.

If there is no pull or wobble, I just don't touch the settings.

Last edited by navin : 4th October 2016 at 10:53. Reason: mis calculation from OP.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:00   #423
BHPian

Parag Bhai,

If time permits, could you please post snaps of the OEM Hella horns in your Ertiga?

Also, do let me know the stock rating. I plan to get a pair for my Baleno.
Old 9th November 2016, 12:47   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
If time permits, could you please post snaps of the OEM Hella horns in your Ertiga?
Missed responding earlier but here you go:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161109_124159.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161109_124212.jpg

Quote:
Also, do let me know the stock rating. I plan to get a pair for my Baleno.
And this is what I am using since almost 2.5 years now.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161109_124134.jpg

The part number for the stock horn is mentioned right there in the second pic.[ 38500 M 74L30 ]

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th November 2016 at 12:49.
Old 10th November 2016, 11:02   #425
BHPian

Hi Parag

I was trying to read up with more detail - did you not face the clutch issue I faced? Or did I miss reading it somewhere?

Looks like your tires have lived a good long life.

In my last service (at Gonipokkal in Coorg) they shifted to Shell Helix. Prior to that all services were on Castrol Edge.

I see you have undertaken the wonderful work of cabin and vehicle wash. I guess that is something I would need to do in Jan. I had wanted to get it done after monsoon - and then the regular service came up.

At Gonipokkal, during the service they were so amazed to find a aluminum engine protection plate that several people came to take pictures. I have always felt that is something all Indian cars must have.

I did not change the horn though the stock headlight bulb certainly has been upgraded. In fact there is also the extra lights. Coming back recently from Coorg most of the driving was at night. While on two lane road I never use them but 4 lanes I use them. I remember once starting a drive from Pune at 6 PM and doing overnight to Bangalore.

Congrats once again on the 5 digit mark.

You are a strong ambassador of Ertiga.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 18:16   #426
Senior - BHPian

Parag Bhai, do you have a dash cam? I thought you did, I am unable to find a thread on how you installed it. Can you point me to it please?
Old 14th November 2016, 16:38   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
did you not face the clutch issue I faced? Or did I miss reading it somewhere?
Hi Rajain, I only faced the Synchronizer Ring failure when the Odo was at 97,000 Kms.

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4008546

However, I have never faced any issues related to the Clutch till date. Not to forget, I too replaced the complete clutch set when I replaced the Sync Rings as a precautionary measure.

Quote:
Looks like your tires have lived a good long life.
Indeed and now they have crossed 90,000 mark and will replace soon. Just have this keeda to try something other than Michelin XM2s - May be continental.

Quote:
In my last service (at Gonipokkal in Coorg) they shifted to Shell Helix. Prior to that all services were on Castrol Edge.
Should not matter. Mine has always been on Shell and MGDO and the last one is Mobil 1 Delvac. As long as the same grade (and specs) are followed by the ASC, your Ertiga should be fine.

Quote:
I see you have undertaken the wonderful work of cabin and vehicle wash. I guess that is something I would need to do in Jan. I had wanted to get it done after monsoon - and then the regular service came up.
I am never content with the wash done either at the washing center or the ASC. Proof is that they never really wash the car with detail and I will still see bugs stuck to the headlight or lower part of the bumper. At times, they don't even wipe clean areas of the running board. So a paid wash is very rare in my case.

Quote:
At Gonipokkal, during the service they were so amazed to find a aluminum engine protection plate that several people came to take pictures. I have always felt that is something all Indian cars must have.
Agree. Thankfully, I have been lucky so far even when I regularly drive it to my hometown and the kutcha roads there where the center of the road is always higher than the path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Parag Bhai, do you have a dash cam? I thought you did, I am unable to find a thread on how you installed it. Can you point me to it please?
Yes dass. Dash cam is something that I have been using since past 6-7 years now and in both my cars.

What I have in the Ertiga is the Transcend DrivePro 200, say around 2+ years old now.

Regarding a thread for the same, well I thought that was a very simple DIY and never took any pics of the install.

However, I have installed it in the following order:
  • Routed the charger cable behind the roof lining - Easy one as you just need to pull the roof lining down with bare hands and push the cable in
  • Pulled the B-Pillar cover of the co-passenger side (Left) and routed the cable to pass behind the glovebox and finally into the 12v socket
  • I haven't gone for a Hardwiring Kit as in my case I already had 2 12V sockets in the front where one is dedicated for the Dashcam
Picture should give you some idea:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-dashboard.jpg

Its just pulling the A or B-Pillar cover (which is not even a DIY but a very easy task) and routing the wire and securing it with zip ties that should complete your installation.

For Hardwiring the cam you can look at Arun's detailed thread here and follow the same to convert the 12v plug into a dedicated set-up.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...r-dashcam.html

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th November 2016 at 16:41.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 16:42   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Regarding a thread for the same, well I thought that was a very simple DIY and never took any pics of the install.
Bhai, You forget that there are some lesser mortals like us, who find what you term simple as extremely complicated

I will go through the thread you mentioned below and see if that's how I would want to do it. Thanks again
dass is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 17:14   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Bhai, You forget that there are some lesser mortals like us, who find what you term simple as extremely complicated

I just went near my parked car and taken these photos that should aide you (hoping that). Have also shown how to remove the Pillar Trim and where the wires are routed:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161114_164900.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161114_164938.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161114_165016.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161114_165055.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161114_165100.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161114_165347.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 20:59   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And this is what I am using since almost 2.5 years now.
I am urging my friend to get the same horn in his Swift ZDi. I had exactly the same thing in my Figo and it is still working after close to 3 years [have heard it a couple of times]

I got this windtone after experimenting with Minda & Hella and none lasted more than 6 months. I hope your Roots is working flawlessly as well.

With the highway trips your and his car sees, it is important to get a horn which is heard [when the need arises]
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 21:34   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I hope your Roots is working flawlessly as well.

With the highway trips your and his car sees, it is important to get a horn which is heard [when the need arises]
Working absolutely fine Sheel and you said it. The horns were installed more for highway drives than city as they need to be heard by a trucker on full throttle and a high decibel engine coughing it's lungs out.

Moreover, the wind tones are not shrill and I like the feel of 'width' it creates with its tone than the sharpness of regular horns.

It's like a loud whistle compared to a mild saxophone :-)
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:11   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Tire replacement:

Finally, went ahead and replaced the tires for the Ertiga on yesterday, this time settled for Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/65/R15 profile from the existing 205/65/R15.

Reason to plonk 195 was nothing specific but the fact that the stock alloys are 5.5J and how 205 profile often gives you that Ballooned look on the sidewall was one of them.

I had choices between 196/60 and 195/65 and I settled for the latter mainly because I didn't want to lose on the GC, that the Diameter variance was 2.08% (Still within the 3% limit) and the fact that these tires will now display an almost accurate GPS speed due to the increase in circumference .

Buying process:

Didn't break my head much. Was at home yesterday, called a dealer in Yelahanka and just went ahead and replaced it and was home in an hour's time.

Here are few picture of the replacement:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161201_123249.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161201_123308.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161201_123500.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161201_124109.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161201_124118.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161201_124943.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161202_073942.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20161202_073952.jpg

The XM2 served me very well for more than 92,000 Kms. I had them since the ODO was 16,000 kms and today it stands at 108,500 kms. There was only one (or 2) Puncture on just one of these 4 tires in its entire lifespan and that too in the last 10,000 kms interval.

The tires were indeed good in terms of Dry and Wet grips although not the best ones in terms of performance.

How are P3STs?

Too early to say but by end of today, I would have driven them for at least 100 kms due to my office commute. Initial impressions incline towards the fact that these are making less road noise. Well, the concrete surface of NICE on my return today will tell me more. The ride has certainly improved, feels more cushioned and I blame that entirely on the new set of rubber than the tire make as of now as the old one had run 93,000 kms.

Also, noticed that the 3PSTs have 4 groves against 3 on the XM2 and I am hoping the tread pattern and the additional grove will help during rains.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-newold.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:58   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tire replacement:
Looks like you replaced only 4 tyres, what size/brand is spare tyre?
Looking at the way XM2 lasted for you, can we expect you to extract six digit Kms from this set of P3ST?
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:03   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Yes, I have always replaced 4 tires in both my cars till now. So this time as well, they were 4.

However, I have retained one of the XM2 as spare as usual. Should serve the purpose when needed. Since the spare wheel in Ertiga is mounted on a frame below the chassis, the extra width wasn't of an issue regarding the placement.

Additionally, I carry a Puncture repair Kit and an Air compressor all the times, so I don't see a need to use the spare till the puncture itself turns out very bad that I cannot inflate the tire and fix it on the spot.

Quote:
Looking at the way XM2 lasted for you, can we expect you to extract six digit Kms from this set of P3ST?
Hopefully these should. I am yet to experience them properly as I have hardly driven but I have always heard positive feedback about P3STs from anyone who has owned and driven on these.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 16:58   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am urging my friend to get the same horn in his Swift ZDi. I had exactly the same thing in my Figo and it is still working after close to 3 years [have heard it a couple of times]

I got this windtone after experimenting with Minda & Hella and none lasted more than 6 months. I hope your Roots is working flawlessly as well.

A point to note is that most of the horns made by Roots can be repaired apart from the windtone electronic which is a sealed unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I have been using P3STs on my S cross since 11k. I would say they are more of comfort oriented tyres, which is a boon for long drives. I could immediately notice the difference since I have used the XM2s on my Swift for close to 70k. The tyre noise over concrete is lesser with the P3STs. I drive to Mumbai almost every weekend and take the MPEW. People who frequent that route would know how noisy the road is.
Regarding the engine oil, you will get to know on the performance as you rake in more kms on the odo.
Full marks to your perseverance in maintaining the MPV in ship shape.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 2nd December 2016 at 17:04.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed