Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2014, 11:42   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That is the icon for illumination intensity.

The knob which you see beside the '0' if rotated clockwise increases the brightness of the instrumentation console + HU + A/C and if rotated anti-clockwise decreases the brightness.

IIRC, there are 10 points for brightness adjustment.

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I guess the control is only for the instrument Panel and not the AC Controls and Head Unit. I have never noticed anything else than the console brightness alter upon twisting the Knob.
Also, the setting has 5 levels and not 10.
Thanks guys for the detailed explanations.

Was susprised to see a new design warning light on the panel - as against the standard icons for most cars.

OT: If Maruti had an Ertiga AT, there were high chances that it would have been my parent's car as against Xcent. Was almost a perfect choice but for the AT option in our case.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th September 2014 at 11:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:09   #167
BHPian

Re: DIY Armrest Install

Quote:

Holes to the Center Console:

I somehow wanted to accomplish this without making any holes. Ultimately I had to make 4 holes (2 on either sides of the console).

My earlier plan was to simply use stationary Binder clips to secure the armrest but the fact that the design of the center console's base itself was not perfectly straight made me opt for Holes.

With the Armrest attached with the base, I marked the holes accordingly (This is the first exercise before removing the center console). What you see below are the pictures after drilling holes on either sides of the center console.
Parag, how did you removed the center console? When I tried, the 2 bolts just move freely and does not comes out.
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:30   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY Armrest Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobix View Post
Parag, how did you removed the center console? When I tried, the 2 bolts just move freely and does not comes out.
At the rear you will find plastic studs on either sides of the console. Pierce a pen in its center so that the pin moves in and then pull the whole stud assembly out. Do this for both the sides.
Now, you will notice that the center console is not a single piece and clubs with another piece just below where the Handbrake release button is.
This part of the console is held by clips and all you do is gently pull this upwards (towards the ceiling) and you are done.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 14:58   #169
Senior - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Parag Bhai.. when are you planning on your next set of DIY's? Eagerly awaiting some new updates from you.
Old 30th October 2014, 16:27   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Parag Bhai.. when are you planning on your next set of DIY's?
Should happen in the next 2 weekends Dass. Last few weekends I was busy with Diwali and few travels.
Quote:
Eagerly awaiting some new updates from you.
There is no significant update apart from the fact that the ODO will touch the 30k mark in 3-4 days. The Ertiga did finish one year of its ownership 2 weeks before.

I am eagerly waiting to take the Ertiga and the WagonR for a shoot where I primarily want to take the Interior and exterior photos of the WagonR and update that ownership thread on how it looks after 219k on the ODO and 8+ years!

More on this in coming weeks
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 17:54   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

The 30,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That is the icon for illumination intensity.

The knob which you see beside the '0' if rotated clockwise increases the brightness of the instrumentation console + HU + A/C and if rotated anti-clockwise decreases the brightness.

IIRC, there are 10 points for brightness adjustment.

Anurag.
I tried this and there are exactly 6 levels to controls to brightness as below:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-illumination-levels.jpg
Apart from this, even the owner's manual mentions that using the knob one can control only the Instrument Panel/Meter's illumination and not that of the AC Control switches. In fact, when I checked, I found no difference in terms of brightness levels increasing/decreasing for anything other than the Instrument Panel.
Name:  Meter Illumination.png
Views: 3349
Size:  68.1 KB

The latest Update:

The Ertiga crossed one year of ownership 2 weeks before and as of today it has clocked 30,500 KMS.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-odo.jpg

Windscreen suffers Damage:

Exactly 1 day left for the insurance to expire and I was driving on the Elevated highway to work and suddenly a hard to identify but not too small enough object flies from across the opposite lane and hits my windscreen really hard.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-broken_windscreen.jpg
No it wasn't a Sand/Construction truck I was following as the road ahead was free of any such vehicles and neither did the opposite lane have any trucks too. I suspect it could be a bolt/Nut flying off from some vehicle from the opposite direction.
Since I was on the Elevated highway, I simply continued rather than dangerously pulling over to evaluate the damage.

After this event, I drove 500 kms to Belur and back on the Diwali weekend and Pune on last weekend. So far, there hasn't been a single hint of the damage spreading over the windshield. I am keeping an eye and may take a decision accordingly.

For my DIYs:
Noticed that the Ertiga mostly uses Torx Bolts for Seats, EGR and other systems under the hood and having bitten by the DIY Bug, I ordered a Torx Socket set that will be helping me with my existing socket kit that I have been using so far.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-torx1.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-torx2.jpg

Wipers from autotrends.in:

I was fully satisfied with the wipers from this site for the WagonR (Have used 2 sets already) that I ordered one for the Ertiga as well which was delivered only yesterday (I know, its the end of Monsoons now!). Tested the wiping abilities using the wiper fluid spray and am satisfied with the job it does although I have heard numerous folks complaining about these wipers not wiping certain areas while many like me have been lucky.
The Wipers:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-wiper-1.jpg
Fitted them on the Ertiga:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-wiper-2.jpg
Tried them with wiper fluid spray and it does do its job of wiping!
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-wiper-3.jpg

Periodic Service:I will be visiting MASS sometime this week for the regular 30,000 Service to remain in good books of Warranty Advocates
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:30   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

30K Service Update:

Managed to get the 30K Service done on 6th November. No issues reported apart from a slight noise from the caliper pins. I began to notice this noise soon after my rain soaked trip to Somvarpet few months back.

When the car was put on hoist, and the calipers were held by hand and moved, there was slight play but not very evident that called for replacement. Hence I just settled for caliper pin greasing.

Engine oil:
While the 10K and the 20K Service ensured Fully Synthetic Oil (5W40) got into the engine, the 30K service too has 5W40 oil go in but Semi-Synthetic.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20141106_172921.jpg
This was noticed when the final bill was printed and I realised the per litre price was 558/- and I raised a flag. It was explained later that the Oil grade remains the same but now it is Semi Synthetic and hence cost 558 Per litre against 1008/- that its Syntetic counterpart cost me during the earlier two.

I was not really concerned about this change and I told the ASC that I will evaluate the oil for few thousand kilometres and then take a call if I needed to shift back to Synthetic.

Overall, I am yet to find any specific difference after driving around nearly 300 kms after service.

Air Filter:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20141106_124053.jpg
Have been replacing this pro-actively every 10K kms and I did that this service too. Look at the filter that was cleaned only 2000 kms before and the state after driving back to Bangalore from Pune on last weekend.

Brake Pads:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20141106_124023.jpg
As they removed the Brake pads to grease the caliper pins, I wanted to inspect the health of the pads and this is how they appear after almost 31k kms of driving.

Intercooler and EGR Cleaning:
Never insisted on these two suggested at 20 and 30k respectively as I have not noticed any signs of performance drop both in terms of acceleration or fuel economy numbers. If required, I may get these 2 things cleaned only at the 40K service on need basis.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2014 at 11:51. Reason: As requested
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 10:46   #173
BHPian

Hello Parag, Can you help me with Ertiga's wiper blade size and brand that you bought? Monsoon here is almost over now though.

Had a tough time driving from Madurai to chennai in rain when i was home this time and it was heavy fogging from outside the glass that i wasn't able to do anything about it. It was like a white wall with lights from opposite lane :(

As a frequent highway driver, do you have any tips to clear the fog from out? Have gone through our forum and manual book to see that i am doing whats already advised but still...

You mentioned you installed rear spoiler? How much did it cost please? I saw mrp was around 3.5k or something but MASS says 5/6K with paint. I remember we used to get our amby painted for that amount!

Quote:
Oil grade remains the same but now it is Semi Synthetic and hence cost 558 Per litre against 1008/- that its Syntetic counterpart cost me during the earlier two.
That means you went back from synthetic to semi-synthetic that the car came filled with from factory? I vaguely remember this was advised against in some threads. If you had mentioned synthetic in the job card, you should ask for a replacement and pay for that minus already paid amount I feel.

And the bill above and 20k one does not have wheel alignment/balancing mentioned? You dont do it with MASS? Still will they honour warranty for suspension, etc? I wasn't sure of this and so do that there. It costs more than double. I thought better to have that entry in their system just in case i go for any suspension work but now i realize this was not useful for Fiesta which had tyre replacement at just 20K due to the steel wires coming out at the inner end of both front tyres. It was serviced on time and WA / WB done everytime.

Car is about to be sent for 20K service and so just was looking at the manual. Now i see no need transmission oil change in above posts. Let me see what they suggest.

Diesel, air and oil filters. Engine, brake and Coolant oils needs change. Rest all check ups. No other complaints. Added a roof carrier(i hate it but had to) that was 4.5k from goldsun and a hella 100/90 headlight upgrade with relay for 1.2k and nothing more so far. Not even seat covers or floor mats that i was checking with you.

Edit: oh ya, went for zero dep insurance again but for 17/18k from Bharti-axa (MASS asked 23k with royal sundaram with whom my earlier ins was). Very bad experience that i am yet to get the hard copy even after a month. Writing another follow up email now.

Last edited by ganesc : 15th November 2014 at 11:04.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 09:44   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Hello Parag, Can you help me with Ertiga's wiper blade size and brand that you bought? Monsoon here is almost over now though.
21" & 14" For the Front.
Quote:
Had a tough time driving from Madurai to chennai in rain when i was home this time and it was heavy fogging from outside the glass that i wasn't able to do anything about it. It was like a white wall with lights from opposite lane :(

As a frequent highway driver, do you have any tips to clear the fog from out? Have gone through our forum and manual book to see that i am doing whats already advised but still...
In the first place, keep ensuring that the glass surface (Inside and outside) is not greasy at all. I have often seen the ASC or the Washing folks use the same cloth to wipe the front windscreen leaving greasy (visible only when it fogs) stains all over. Wipe the glass with plain water and dry it using Microfiber or newspapers. Also, try to do this cleaning exercise at night when you are in a better position to ascertain the outcome. You will notice areas that require attention when you turn your headlights on sitting on the driver's seat.

When it fogs, the most simplest thing that has worked is Fresh Air Mode with the Air Con on. Depending on the difference between outside and inside temperature, you can adjust the temperature knob accordingly to see things clear.

At times, twisting the temperature knob to the hottest works wonderfully but is only time consuming before you realize it all clean now. In simply words, if AC doesn't help, heater surely will.

Quote:
You mentioned you installed rear spoiler? How much did it cost please? I saw mrp was around 3.5k or something but MASS says 5/6K with paint. I remember we used to get our amby painted for that amount!
They are right. The spoiler including painting and fitting will cost you anything between 5-5.5K.

I got my spoiler from a known source in Jammu who deals with MGP & MGA. However, I got the painting done at my Bangalore ASC and paid 1000 for the same.

Quote:
That means you went back from synthetic to semi-synthetic that the car came filled with from factory? I vaguely remember this was advised against in some threads. If you had mentioned synthetic in the job card, you should ask for a replacement and pay for that minus already paid amount I feel.
Well, its the same MGDO with the same grade (5W40) except that the first two replacements were fully synthetic while this is Semi-Synthetic. I am doubly confident that this should not hamper anything with the DDiS Engine knowing that the grades are same.

Quote:
And the bill above and 20k one does not have wheel alignment/balancing mentioned? You dont do it with MASS? Still will they honour warranty for suspension, etc? I wasn't sure of this and so do that there. It costs more than double. I thought better to have that entry in their system just in case i go for any suspension work but now i realize this was not useful for Fiesta which had tyre replacement at just 20K due to the steel wires coming out at the inner end of both front tyres. It was serviced on time and WA / WB done everytime.
Only under extremely rare situations I may have for my Wheel alignment & Balancing done at the ASC. It has always been from outside every time.

Regarding the affects of not getting WA and WB done at the ASC, I will only wait for the day when things go wrong for not doing this job at the ASC. In fact, both my cars never undergo WA and WB on any specific periodic intervals. It has always been on need basis.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 10:43   #175
BHPian

Quote:
21" & 14" For the Front.
Thanks.
Quote:
In the first place, keep ensuring that the glass surface (Inside and outside) is not greasy at all. I have often seen the ASC or the Washing folks use the same cloth to wipe the front windscreen leaving greasy (visible only when it fogs) stains all over. Wipe the glass with plain water and dry it using Microfiber or newspapers. Also, try to do this cleaning exercise at night when you are in a better position to ascertain the outcome. You will notice areas that require attention when you turn your headlights on sitting on the driver's seat.
I will try it this way.
Quote:
When it fogs, the most simplest thing that has worked is Fresh Air Mode with the Air Con on. Depending on the difference between outside and inside temperature, you can adjust the temperature knob accordingly to see things clear. In simply words, if AC doesn't help, heater surely will.
I believed and used to say the same to my father whenever he complained but when I was in that situation, i myself couldn't do much about it. Will try and play with it the next time if i come across.

Quote:
Well, its the same MGDO with the same grade (5W40) except that the first two replacements were fully synthetic while this is Semi-Synthetic.
Ok, anyways I am planning to stick to the same Semi-Synthetic oil this time too.

Quote:
Only under extremely rare situations I may have for my Wheel alignment & Balancing done at the ASC. It has always been from outside every time.

Regarding the affects of not getting WA and WB done at the ASC, I will only wait for the day when things go wrong for not doing this job at the ASC.
I will skip it this time from MASS and get it done outside. Thanks!
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 15:30   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

35,000 kms up

35,000 Kms Done:

While returning from Pune last Sunday, the Ertiga crossed the 35000 mark. Since I was driving on the highway I couldn't capture the snapshot.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20141211_141259.jpg

Since the last service, it has been running on Semi Synthetic (5W40 Grade) Engine oil and I have found no particular difference when it comes to highway cruising as I did 2 trips to Pune after this oil chance and one on Synthetic oil.

Pretty much no additional updates. Been running niggle free as usual.

The clock keeps ticking!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2014 at 15:49.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 17:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

Very nice to read all this Parag. And selfishly, next time you are driving Pune-Bangalore, please let me know if you have space for a passenger . If we see each other, you might be able to place me - thanks to one of the "Safari" meets that we met, organized by our friend LSW, but that was months ago.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 17:43   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Very nice to read all this Parag. And selfishly, next time you are driving Pune-Bangalore, please let me know if you have space for a passenger . If we see each other, you might be able to place me - thanks to one of the "Safari" meets that we met, organized by our friend LSW, but that was months ago.
Oh the Safari meets. I haven't been able to manage making it to their latest events due to other commitments on weekends.

My Pune drives are really impromptu. Sometimes, the decision is just an hour before we actually start. But will keep in mind to ping you and travel with you.

Last 3 drives to Pune, It was mostly 3 onward and 2 during return including me! I wish you had messaged me earlier as 2 trips happened on a weekend barring one on weekdays.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 17:57   #179
BANNED

Re: The 30,000 Kms Update

Quote:
[center]

Wipers from autotrends.in:

I was fully satisfied with the wipers from this site for the WagonR (Have used 2 sets already) that I ordered one for the Ertiga as well which was delivered only yesterday (I know, its the end of Monsoons now!). Tested the wiping abilities using the wiper fluid spray and am satisfied with the job it does although I have heard numerous folks complaining about these wipers not wiping certain areas while many like me have been lucky.
Sirji, what brand are these wipers? I too ordered a hella wiper from the same website, I am not able to fit the wiper correctly no matter how much I try. It does wipe, but there is a juddering sound at the beginning and end of the sweep.
Old 11th December 2014, 18:00   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 30,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Sirji, what brand are these wipers? I too ordered a hella wiper from the same website, I am not able to fit the wiper correctly no matter how much I try. It does wipe, but there is a juddering sound at the beginning and end of the sweep.
Unable to recall the brand but Autotrends sells just one brand.

For juddering, clean the wipers first with soap solution and as well wipe the windscreen with shampoo water. I suspect its mostly the surface of the glass that causes this judder.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed