Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2016, 15:09   #361
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can read audioholic's latest update here who I had referred.

Overall, they better than most of the players and at par with some of the best too.

The onus is still on the owner to ensure not to get charged for any extra and unwanted jobs.
Parag Bhai,

I got the 30k service done at Surakshaa, Koramangala yesterday. Total bill came to about Rs. 9800/-and included Oil change (Fully synthetic), Wheel alignment and balancing, Brake cleaning and Interior cleaning.

Thanks to you and audioholic for the valuable inputs.

I checked with them regarding the EGR cleaning and was told it was not required at 30k kms.

Cheers!!
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 19:38   #362
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Parag,

Since you frequent the BLR-Hassan stretch a lot and also own an Ertiga, I have a few questions for you.

I have noticed higher unevenness of the CR Patna->Bangalore tolled road from somewhere near Kunigal all the way till Nelamangala? This causes a lot of vertical movement (bounciness) in my Ertiga ZDi. The soft suspension of the car perhaps amplifies the bounciness, leading to passenger discomfort. I don't feel the same level of bounciness on Bangalore->CR Patna stretch.

So my specific questions to you are,
Firstly, have you also noticed the above?
If yes, how do you cope with this? (Maintain a lower average speed ~80 kmph?, or you know the stretches so you slow down appropriately, or observe the cars in front and slow down? etc)

Lastly, is there something that can be done to firm up the suspension on the Ertiga?
Old 30th March 2016, 11:04   #363
BHPian

Re: 85,000 kms up

Quote:
The wheels keep on turning without much ado. ...85000 kms...
With summer holidays set to begin next month, I am eyeing for couple of Getaways with a Father-Daughter roadtrips .
Hi Parag

Great going. And see how time flies.

Enjoy your travels. This has been a wonderful vehicle. Mile munching, long distance highway warrior.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 12:54   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
This causes a lot of vertical movement (bounciness) in my Ertiga ZDi. The soft suspension of the car perhaps amplifies the bounciness, leading to passenger discomfort. I don't feel the same level of bounciness on Bangalore->CR Patna stretch.
This is true & blame this completely on the road itself. Kunigal Bypass (More towards Hassan), The overbridge at Bellur cross (Towards Bangalore) are quite a few examples within this stretch itself.

Quote:
Firstly, have you also noticed the above?
Yes I have and I found that to be absolutely normal than worry.

Quote:
If yes, how do you cope with this? (Maintain a lower average speed ~80 kmph?, or you know the stretches so you slow down appropriately, or observe the cars in front and slow down? etc)
It happened quite a few times when I was still taming the Ertiga and eventually settled for the right air pressure after prolonged use.

Try this next time -
30/32 - Rear/Front - If you are just 2-3 Passengers
33/33 - Rear/Front - If you are just 4-5 Passengers
35/33 - Rear/Front - If you are using the 3rd row as well

Quote:
Lastly, is there something that can be done to firm up the suspension on the Ertiga?
With the right air pressure every drive, I feel the suspension is something I would never complain in the Ertiga. With so many drives taken up on many highways in the past including 2 lane and ghats, I have no qualms on the suspension part.

Try those air pressures and let me know.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 13:37   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Try this next time -
30/32 - Rear/Front - If you are just 2-3 Passengers
33/33 - Rear/Front - If you are just 4-5 Passengers
35/33 - Rear/Front - If you are using the 3rd row as well

Try those air pressures and let me know.
Thanks Parag!

Most of the times its just 3 people (Me, Wife & kid). I almost always request for 30/32 - Rear/Front. Moving forward, I'll make it a point to have the air filled accurately to the extent possible.

So, if I have observed the problem in-spite of not inflating (or.. let me say, not requesting) the tyres to a higher pressure (32+), I should probably slow down a little. Just curious, what typical speeds do you maintain along this stretch while heading back to Bangalore. I understand it depends on a lot of factors like traffic etc, I am looking for a ballpark range for comfortable cruising with controlled/minimal bounciness.
Old 14th April 2016, 17:53   #366
BHPian

Hi Parag, I guess you would have already installed a dash cam for the ertiga. Do you have any pics of it after installation? Also may I know which one are you using ? TIA
Old 14th April 2016, 20:26   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, if I have observed the problem in-spite of not inflating (or.. let me say, not requesting) the tyres to a higher pressure (32+)
You may want to invest on a good tire pressure gauge, most often the pressure shown by the pump gauge is off by atleast few psi which can make a significant difference in your handing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Hi Parag, I guess you would have already installed a dash cam for the ertiga. Do you have any pics of it after installation? Also may I know which one are you using ? TIA
Answering even before parag !!
I use this and am pretty happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-dsc_0197.jpg  

arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:17   #368
BHPian

Parag Bhai,

I just wanted to check with you how the Michelins are holding up on your car. I am considering a tyre upgrade and request opinion on possible options. My car is currently on Goodyear with stock rims.

Cheers
rahulb22
Old 25th April 2016, 08:08   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, what typical speeds do you maintain along this stretch while heading back to Bangalore. I understand it depends on a lot of factors like traffic etc, I am looking for a ballpark range for comfortable cruising with controlled/minimal bounciness.
So I drove to Belur on 8th and again on 22nd (the weekend that passed) and noticed how bad Kunigal bypass is towards Bangalore than towards Mangalore.

To answer your question, I am usually between 110-120 based on traffic and when I pass these undulations, I go easy on the A pedal for 3 seconds and by speed is around 70-80 kmph when I pass this without making the passengers uncomfortable.

Another thing I normally do (mostly at nights) is drive in the center (over the median marker) when I pass these to take the least hit and still maintain good speeds. I do this only if there is no one in sight in my IRVM else stick to what I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Parag Bhai,

I just wanted to check with you how the Michelins are holding up on your car. I am considering a tyre upgrade and request opinion on possible options. My car is currently on Goodyear with stock rims.

Cheers
rahulb22
Refer to the quoted post where I have posted the state of the XM2s when the Odometer was 77777 kms. The XM2s then were 61,000 kms.

Odometer today is almost 90,000 (tires run 74,000) and by the looks of it, I intend to change the tires in the next 5-7K kms.

Quote:
The Alloys are as Old (or new) as the car - 2Y2M or 77777 kms while these tires are exactly 61000 kms till now after I upgraded to Michelin XM2 205/60/15 when the odometer was 16000 kms.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th April 2016 at 08:17.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 19:51   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Odometer today is almost 90,000 (tires run 74,000) and by the looks of it, I intend to change the tires in the next 5-7K kms.
Your ownership thread is a phenomenon. 90K kms within no time.

What about the car ? How long do you intend to keep it ? How is clutch and suspension ?
What is the FE that you get with 5 occupants in the car ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 07:44   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Your ownership thread is a phenomenon. 90K kms within no time.
Trust me when I say this. The clocking in the last 2 months has been strictly office to work barring 3 short trips on weekends that added 1700 kms only with the regular office runs. Thanks to my loaded schedule off late.

Quote:
What about the car ?
Well, like I have mentioned many times before, I would not be the one who would drive 5000 kms and say the car is nigglefree and fantastic . The car remains in the best of its shape for the kms clocked and doesn't looked any different from how it looked at 77.777 kms in this post.

Quote:
How long do you intend to keep it ?
I have found no reason at this stage or even in the next few years to change this. It has kept everyone of us happy and comfortable over all those long trips. And am so pampered by taller seating/ingress/egress through WagonR and Ertiga that even if I pick something in future, it will be something similar.

In terms of kms, I am sure I will do at least 200K and beyond without doubts.

Quote:
How is clutch and suspension ?
The clutch remains stock & has zero signs of any weakness or juddering when I move from standstill. There is no sign of hardness as well that gives me a hint that I need to change that pro-actively.

The only parts replaced till now as part of the suspension were Stabilizer Bar Bush and Link rods on both sides that cost me less than 2000 in all. I haven't found the suspension go weak either because It becomes very evident when you are fully loaded and go over undulations and the car keeps bouncing. So far, nothing of that sort has happened and it gives enough reasons as to why I should wait before I replace the suspension.

On the other hand, during my 90,000 Service, I Intend to replace the timing chain and ask the ASC to remove the suspension struts and check for its health.

Quote:
What is the FE that you get with 5 occupants in the car ?
It has been usual and standard for me from day 1:
100 KMPH - 21-22 KMPL
100-110 KMPH - 18-19 KMPL
110-120 KMPH - 16.5-17.5 KMPL

paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 13:07   #372
Senior - BHPian

Have you changed the brake pads?
They seemed to last forever when I saw your last update.
Old 26th April 2016, 14:55   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Have you changed the brake pads?
They seemed to last forever when I saw your last update.
Yes, finally had changed them at 82,000 Service.

You can refer that here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 00:04   #374
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me out with my query? Lately I have been getting calls from my dealer to bring my car in to their workshop for a "Preventive Check Up" wherein they claim that they will carry out some checks on the vehicle along with WA/WB and a few more things. As per them, this is a Maruti recommendation and not carrying out these check-ups will lead to warranty issues. Is this really true? I was under the impression that only the periodic service intervals (1st/2nd/3rd/4th etc) mattered unless you run into some problems with your car. My vehicle is running niggle free and I am not facing any issues. Is it really mandatory to take the vehicle to these camps? And whether Maruti can deny warranty if I don't take my vehicle to these camps?
Old 1st May 2016, 17:02   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agd19682 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me out with my query? Lately I have been getting calls from my dealer to bring my car in to their workshop for a "Preventive Check Up" wherein they claim that they will carry out some checks on the vehicle along with WA/WB and a few more things. As per them, this is a Maruti recommendation and not carrying out these check-ups will lead to warranty issues. Is this really true? I was under the impression that only the periodic service intervals (1st/2nd/3rd/4th etc) mattered unless you run into some problems with your car. My vehicle is running niggle free and I am not facing any issues. Is it really mandatory to take the vehicle to these camps? And whether Maruti can deny warranty if I don't take my vehicle to these camps?
Can you please let every one know who is your dealer, what are included in those preventive checks and how old is your vehicle?

There could be two possibilities here
1. Dealer is inviting you to a service camp in the name of Maruti Suzuki. They may do some basic checks free and force you to do some other works generating revenue.
2. There is a recall from Maruti to check/replace some parts and they are doing this in the name of a preventive checkup

Its important you clarify which type your call is. Warranty wont be an issue in type 1 but can be an issue in type 2.

Please call back your dealer, find out more details and post details here.

Edit: The Ertiga official review thread may be a better place for this question.

Most Viewed