Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 14:11   #601
Senior - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 9 years & 232,000 km

Am sure this boy will catch up with tall bhai in a year and half time. Looking forward to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is exactly the kind of reliability that I will be looking for if I upgrade from this in future which still has a long way to go.
I know how long By that time, this thread would stretch its pages to 400K or 500K

Quote:
I am not into detailing nor have I visited any place for getting the car detailed ever in its lifetime. I also do not wash the car very regularly and there is generally a huge gap between 2 washes.
You have to thank the residence parking lot (going by the pictures) for the role it played. In enclosed parking only dust formation is a problem. In the open, there are lot more elements at play.

Quote:
Here is a list of all such posts & threads with important updates for easy reference
Request mods to add the link compendium to the opening post, if you are OK with it.

Last edited by narayans80 : 6th January 2021 at 14:13.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:39   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 9 years & 232,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
This thread sure has been/will be a reference point for all DDIS 200/ Ertiga owners
Thanks you Prasanna. The fact that DDiS is reliable is evident when we see so many cabs around running on stock engine. So, I am sure that this one will be relaible too in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
2L kms is nothing new for you, but still so good to see you taking another car to this milestone. Hope the Ertiga gets to cross the WagonR's odo figures and reach a few more such milestones in the years ahead.
Honestly, the way I clocked the initial 75K, I was looking forward to reach 2L long back but thanks to changes at my professional front, my office runs reduced to almost less than 2 days a month since 2017. Or else, my daily clocking till then would easily be between 80-100 Km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS: How I would have liked to post a similar update but my miles are crawling now thanks to the WFH scenario.
In fact, I was expecting an update from you on your Punto clocking 200K anytime. I am also aware that you are in TVM since a while and hence haven't been clocking much miles. But I do look forward to read an update from another DDiS in your Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I could never imagine that kind of brake pads and tyre life for my cars even in my dream .
And conversely, I also can never imagine how I can really drive to get the life of pads and tires that you do doc . I am really sure I cannot. In fact, even in my first car WagonR, I replaced pads at 77,000 Km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I am at 26000 km on my P4ST and was happy I would clock another 25000 km on them. I see Parag has done 90k km on P3ST and I was shocked!
P3STs certainly will last longer than XM2s that I had. As you can notice from the images, these tires are good for an easy 10,000 Km at least and are quite healthy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
5. Stock Air-conditioner - trust me on this, ACs work best if left alone as NO aftermarket AC technician's work can match the durability of the stock AC, especially of Maruti and Toyota. (We see Mahindra and Hyundai ACs evaporator cores pack up in 4 years).

6. Stock turbocharger

7. Stock alternator sans any service
Thank you Vigsom. To me, these three are very crucial components and the life and performance of them is really critical. In my WagonR too, at 260,000 Km, it continues to run on the stock alternator and compressor.

However, in WagonR, the only time I had to refill the refrigerant was when I replaced the condensor. That way, the condensor of the Ertiga still looks to be in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have been fortunate to experience his car a few times, and also after this 2L kms milestone. The moment I sat in the car, I was surprised by the state of various things in the car. Me and Parag had the exact discussion for a long time and he will still remember my expression. If one hides the Odo of the car, they will never know how much distance it has covered. Trust me on that. And any questions on Maruti quality - This car is the answer. If you take good care of it, it will definitely not give up on you and still look brand new.
Thanks dude. Our meet last weekend was impromptu but glad we met. After all, it was soon after reaching the 2L milestone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I wonder if you were running your car on a threadmill
Than you Rakesh. Like most of us who prefer jogging outdoors, the Ertiga too loves to run on the tarmac and burn the rubber. Its been long we caught up but we should do that soon. Thanks to Covid, I haven't been able to cross anywhere out of Karnataka since December 2019! Next trip should see some action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Your's is a case-study on how a car should be driven and maintained!!
Thanks Rahul. And I am sure you too are going to clock some serious miles on your recently acquired Crysta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You have to thank the residence parking lot (going by the pictures) for the role it played. In enclosed parking only dust formation is a problem. In the open, there are lot more elements at play.
Thanks Narayan.

Actually, fully covered parking for both the cars has been the case only since May 2017 prior to which both the cars mutually shared semi covered parking while the one of the cars was parked outside right under banyan tree.

But I have to admit that none of my cars undergo the terrible washing torture by the apartment washing guys. I simply cannot bear that. However, I miss my good old independent home where I could wash the car all by myself peacefully under natural sun with plain water that I cannot do here except may be spraying water and wiping it clean occasionally.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:08   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations again Parag. Probably one of the very few to hold this unique milestone of owning two 2L run cars. And both are still going strong. Wow together they make 4.6L Kms of wonderful experience. Awesome this is!Time for a long drive to celebrate this occasion.

And yes, both your ownership threads are a perfect guide for many out there.

Wishing you many more happy miles.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:15   #604
Senior - BHPian

Re: 200,000 Km Update

Quote:
[center][h3]THE 200,000 KM UPDATE:On Dec 27, after 7 Years and over a month, the Ertiga finally clocked the 200,000 Km mark while I was on a family drive to Kodagu (Coorg) at Madikeri. As far as drives are concerned, I am headed for a 2500 drive next weekend!
Congratulations, this is what happens when a great driver teams up with an ultra reliable brand. Parag, I can see you changing gears when asleep. Great going and drive safe! Wishing you a million miles filled with smiles.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:56   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

The real competition to your ownership will be VRL Volvo buses. Once the engine warms up it has to at least cross one state border before it can cool down
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 17:28   #606
BHPian

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Hey ParagSachania,
2 lakh kms is a huge achievement! I really like how you maintain both you cars. Do you take driving classes by any chance
The way you make your brake pads and tyres last talks a lot about your driving style.

All the best and hope you keep crunching miles like this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Congrats on crossing 80k! With your kind of driving, a reliable / durable car is a must. Am sure the next-gen Innova will be here by the time your Ertiga touches 200,000 kms.
Looks like GTO has some sort of insight into the future
Sreesh1009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:14   #607
BHPian

Congrats on touching the 2lakh milestone, parag

The service details you have for the car is nothing but brilliant. I don't think I can keep a track record like this even if I wanted to I will give it a try in my next car purchase.

Wishing you many more miles.

Cheers.
jonesanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 10:57   #608
BHPian

@paragsachania: you've got some serious maintenance and driving skills.

As others posted in the thread, your parts change intervals speak volumes about how well you treat your vehicle.

You're an inspiration to those who take care of their vehicles and justification to those who think cars can't last long in Indian conditions.

qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 11:44   #609
BHPian

Congratulations Parag! 2L kms in 7 years is a milestone indeed. The car is fabulously maintained.

What I found astounding was that the brake rotors have never been replaced in 2L kms!!
In my 7 year old Vento, they have already been replaced twice - once at barely 9K kms (due to steering juddering issue when braking at higher speeds, was replaced under warranty) and then at around 70K kms. The car has done about 90K kms so far.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:26   #610
BHPian

@paragsachania: This is one off great achievement and I really loved the way you maintained your car. Hats off!. I own a ZDI as well and clocked 1.42 L Kms. Trying to somehow reach the 2 L km mark someday (Thanks to Covid with reduced running).

Wish we can keep these lovely cars for ever. Guess Govt is going to determine the life of the cars to 15 years. Courtesy : Known sources at a Chennai RTO
shivag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:41   #611
BHPian

Very heartening and relatable post, since I too am having the first Gen Ertiga vxi for my everyday drive. As you said, the car has been extremely reliable and has held up well after all these years. Special mention for the beige interiors which have held up well.

The only issue I faced twice was an unnatural brake fade while coming downhill, even with proper engine braking. (Unnatural because I did not face the same on the Innova on the same road). Would like to hear suggestions from the members on a brake system upgrade.

By the way, my car is also in stock condition with only the clutch replaces due to some noisy bearing issue..
rupin_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:46   #612
BHPian

Here's a pic of my Ertiga Vxi 2013 model.
The engine is still running butter smooth ��
Attached Images

rupin_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 09:47   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations again Parag. Probably one of the very few to hold this unique milestone of owning two 2L run cars. And both are still going strong. Wow together they make 4.6L Kms of wonderful experience. Awesome this is!Time for a long drive to celebrate this occasion.

And yes, both your ownership threads are a perfect guide for many out there.

Wishing you many more happy miles.
Thank you Arun. I had about an year ago wished you would cross the 2L mark on your Linea but you upgraded just then. I am very sure that with the Compass, I can expect you do that. And yes, a long drive is on the anvil and we must catch up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Congratulations, this is what happens when a great driver teams up with an ultra reliable brand. Parag, I can see you changing gears when asleep. Great going and drive safe! Wishing you a million miles filled with smiles.
Thank you DD. Regarding the underlined text, I actually have done that quite a few times while sleeping but mostly I would lift my leg and hit the brake pedal .

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
[/indent][/indent]The real competition to your ownership will be VRL Volvo buses. Once the engine warms up it has to at least cross one state border before it can cool down
LOL Yeah. 2020 has been the case where I haven't crossed the state borders of Karnataka at all and now a planned drive next week will break that monotony from 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey ParagSachania,
2 lakh kms is a huge achievement! I really like how you maintain both you cars. Do you take driving classes by any chance
The way you make your brake pads and tyres last talks a lot about your driving style.

All the best and hope you keep crunching miles like this!
Thank you Sreesh. I am still a student when it comes to driving as I always say I learn something new every other drive. I still keep wishing that I can drive even better.

Having said that, I am still not a slow driver. Just that I have been efficient (In terms of time) the way I drive.

Quote:
Looks like GTO has some sort of insight into the future
Those were the days actually when I would be either in Pune/Mumbai or in Gujarat very often. Hoping to see such action this year as the pandemic has simply changed the way we saw things around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Congrats on touching the 2lakh milestone, parag

The service details you have for the car is nothing but brilliant. I don't think I can keep a track record like this even if I wanted to I will give it a try in my next car purchase.

Wishing you many more miles.

Cheers.
Thank you jonesanto! I am not very particular to maintain a service record or expense sheet on both the cars. However, I am very keen and critical about how long certain mechanical parts have lasted in both my cars. This is one reason I can very well remember the replacement timelines of each of these parts on both my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
@paragsachania: you've got some serious maintenance and driving skills.

As others posted in the thread, your parts change intervals speak volumes about how well you treat your vehicle.

You're an inspiration to those who take care of their vehicles and justification to those who think cars can't last long in Indian conditions.

Thank you qr20de. I have often had great discussions whenever someone has told "sell the car when it is closing in on 100K mark".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu1101 View Post
What I found astounding was that the brake rotors have never been replaced in 2L kms!!
Thank you anshu. The life of the rotors have impressed me too. While I haven't been that happy about the wafer thin quality of the plastic panels/trims inside the car when I compare that with my first gen WagonR that still has one of the well built (Thicker) panels/trims inside, I am truly impressed with certain elements like the brake parts as well as the suspension too.

For a record, The WagonR would on regular occasions face wobbling issues soon after jumping over bad potholes (lost balancing weights) but the Ertiga till date has shown zero symptoms of such wobbles caused by badly balanced wheels. Same is the case with the braking too. I believe, bigger (and wider) tires is one of the reasons there.

Quote:
In my 7 year old Vento, they have already been replaced twice - once at barely 9K kms (due to steering juddering issue when braking at higher speeds, was replaced under warranty) and then at around 70K kms. The car has done about 90K kms so far.
If you notice my ownership thread, I do have mentioned about this low speed wobble which is very minimal and extremely tricky to let others even know about it. I have failed to explain it to the ASC who dont seem to acknowledge. Few friends who sat beside didnt notice that too. Only during one drive DBHPian audioholic who accompanied me over a 2000+ km drive slowly started to notice only when I promted him few times till which he too was in complete denial. Since this issue doesn't affect either my low speed or high speed drivebility or braking, I am somehow convinced that it may be normal too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivag View Post
@paragsachania: This is one off great achievement and I really loved the way you maintained your car. Hats off!. I own a ZDI as well and clocked 1.42 L Kms. Trying to somehow reach the 2 L km mark someday (Thanks to Covid with reduced running).

Wish we can keep these lovely cars for ever. Guess Govt is going to determine the life of the cars to 15 years. Courtesy : Known sources at a Chennai RTO
Thank you shivag. Great to learn about your ZDi too clocking some serious Km there. Regarding the 15 years rule, I would be getting the fitness certificate renewed for the WagonR in coming weeks and that will an experience to share soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupin_s View Post
The only issue I faced twice was an unnatural brake fade while coming downhill, even with proper engine braking. (Unnatural because I did not face the same on the Innova on the same road). Would like to hear suggestions from the members on a brake system upgrade.

By the way, my car is also in stock condition with only the clutch replaces due to some noisy bearing issue..
Thank you rupin. Regarding the unnatural brake fade, I am quite surprised as it hasn't been a known issue reported anywhere. Plus, you mention very well that you use engine braking driving downhill, a practice that is highly recommended and safe and certainly enhances the life of your brakes when regularly driving on downhills.

Honestly, when it comes to upgrade of brakes, I am too skeptical about it for both the cars and have stuck to OE parts from Day 1. I cant recommend anything here except may be suggest you to isolate the braking parts first - Pads and Rotors and later see if you can replicate this by changing the brake cylinder too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th January 2021 at 09:50.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 15:23   #614
BHPian

Many congratulations Parag! Beautifully detailed and written. The 200000 km milestone is really special.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 21:39   #615
BHPian

Re: 200,000 Km Update

Quote:
On Dec 27, after 7 Years and over a month, the Ertiga finally clocked the 200,000 Km mark while I was on a family drive to Kodagu (Coorg) at Madikeri. Essentially, I will now consider this one as reliable as its senior Tallboy sibling WagonR that is inching closer to the 260,000 Km mark on its Odo . Hence, the bar is set for the Ertiga.
Hi Parag sir,
2 Lakh+ in 2 cars! That too with immaculate maintainance, perfection with DIYs, keeping track of all records , penning down everything with details.
It just shows your passion, patience and perfection.
Kudos to you.

Meanwhile,
My father too owns a 2013 Eritiga, clocked 60k kms.
Usually we prefer to keep our cars for long and your thread is surely going to be one of the point of references for us.

Off topic:
Wish to see your Ertiga in person and hope we can meet up sometime, when time permits, when you travel to Belur via Hassan.
(I have moved out of Bangalore recently and staying near Hassan now)
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks