Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2020, 22:33   #571
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 9 years & 232,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Tweeters of these components were larger in diameter than the outgoing Hertz’s.
Hi Parag,

I had a bad experience with crossovers installed within the door. Over a period of 5 years all terminals had rusted.
I would suggest you cover crossovers in plastic and then stick it somewhere on the door card. This way there will be less chance of moisture reaching the terminals.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-crossover-copy-copy.jpg

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 22:59   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 9 years & 232,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi Parag,

I had a bad experience with crossovers installed within the door. Over a period of 5 years all terminals had rusted.
I would suggest you cover crossovers in plastic and then stick it somewhere on the door card. This way there will be less chance of moisture reaching the terminals.

Attachment 2061903

Regards.
Thank you. In fact my earlier speakers in front too were Hertz components and crossovers mounted exactly at the same location in similar way. I had installed them in 2014.

Also, now the doors are damped too that there will be lesser chances of water to drip below. The weather strip and enter the inside of the doors.

But yes, point taken. I will in one of the days open the door pad and check the condition inside. After installation, the car has clocked miles in some extremely heavy rains too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st October 2020 at 23:07.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:14   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy oh boy!!

This thread is a wonderful lesson Parag ji!!

Explains how a well maintained vehicle can last for several lakh km.

I was thinking about my stock rotors still being fine at 1.25 lakh km in my ciaz, and to know yours is still good at 1.96 lakh km, my confidence in Maruti just goes up.

Your passion and love for your car is tremendous. I have been reading since you filled up the driver seat cushion and springs to the latest insulation and 1.96 lakh PMS. Wow! Congratulations for hitting the double ton in your second car!

I hope I can achieve the same with mine too your thread will always be a guideline for the DDIS200 maintenance.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:24   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb updates and an inspiration. I see your attention to detail matches that of LeoShashi which makes for a very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing Parag.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:07   #575
BHPian

Excellent writeup sir.
Indeed the stock pads are expensive for the ertiga and may I strongly suggest you try the tvs apache range of pads. I have used them and currently running hyper performance ones. Two of my colleagues have also switched over to tvs apache pads in their ertiga and they absolutely love the brake feel.
I have seen stock dzires here with my own eyes clocking over 5 lakh kms with a sealed engine. Only thing was they replaced oil every five thousand kms religiously.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:00   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Front Brake Service and Pad replacement:
I had recently begun to notice that there was a grinding noise especially when I reversing and mildly pressing the brake pedal. Since this was happening only when I was pressing the brake pedal, I was sure it had to do with the front brakes. I inspected the Rotors physically by moving my fingers on the surface but didn’t find any abnormal wear. So I began to suspect the pads and picked a pair from an MGP store nearby.
The grinding noise from front brakes has been a very common problem with the initial batches of 2017 Dzire and was a major topic of discussion in Dzire owners facebook page. And it used to happen almost every time the brakes were pressed. Thankfully, MASS acknowledged the problem and replaced the brake assembly free of cost during 1st or 2nd servicing for 2017 batch of Dzire.

I recently replaced the brake pads at 40000Km after the initial sets were replaced at the 2nd service of 5000Km. They still had ~2000Km of life left as per MASS.
subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:25   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I was thinking about my stock rotors still being fine at 1.25 lakh km in my ciaz, and to know yours is still good at 1.96 lakh km, my confidence in Maruti just goes up.
Thank you Prasanna! I am sure with your driving and upkeep too, the rotors will last really long.

Quote:
I have been reading since you filled up the driver seat cushion and springs to the latest insulation and 1.96 lakh PMS. Wow! Congratulations for hitting the double ton in your second car!
There are many such DIYs that I have executed in the WagonR too, when the car had nearly clocked the double ton.

In fact, I installed the Tachometer in the WagonR when the car had clocked 1.83 L Kms already, LOL!! The Alloys were installed when the car was more than a lac Km on the Odo.

For the Ertiga too, such small little jobs gives me a lot of satisfaction and there are already quite a few in pipeline that I wish to execute soon.
Quote:
I hope I can achieve the same with mine too your thread will always be a guideline for the DDIS200 maintenance.
You definitely will. I have an example of a Ciaz from Ludhiana (belongs to a friend's colleague) that has clocked more than 2 lac and is still on stock suspension too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Superb updates and an inspiration. I see your attention to detail matches that of LeoShashi which makes for a very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing Parag.
Thank you for the comment. But I would like to say one thing that I am nowhere even remotely close to what Shashi does to his cars and the impeccable execution of his jobs. Few of his DIYs have been an inspiration to me too. Not to forget that I have keenly followed the DIYs on your Corolla as well. Such cars remain a keeper for lifetime ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
may I strongly suggest you try the tvs apache range of pads. I have used them and currently running hyper performance ones. Two of my colleagues have also switched over to tvs apache pads in their ertiga and they absolutely love the brake feel.
I will certainly attempt once but I am always skeptical with such experiments. I have mentioned earlier as to how in the WagonR, at a Bosch service center in Pune, they replaced it with Apache pads and then I had the most horrible experience with my brakes when I drove back from Pune to Bangalore.

Further, since the replacement intervals in car for pads are really long (at least 60-80K Kms), spending 3500 for pads doesn't hurt more I feel.

Quote:
I have seen stock dzires here with my own eyes clocking over 5 lakh kms with a sealed engine. Only thing was they replaced oil every five thousand kms religiously.
I am not going to change the replacement interval for my car for sure and still stick to 10-12K Km interval, for I drive more on the highways and less in B2B traffic and hence the engine doesn't really go through much strain. Also, I am not a slow driver in general but I am always careful on how easy I need to be on all the 3 pedals even when I am relatively driving fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
The grinding noise from front brakes has been a very common problem with the initial batches of 2017 Dzire and was a major topic of discussion in Dzire owners facebook page.
As you may have read, the grinding noise has never been an issue with my car at all. It was only with this set of MGP Pads where I faced it, that too only when reversing at crawling speeds and the pedal pressed lightly. So I won't say that this has been an issue since it had never happened till 1.85 L km of my ownership so far and any such noises today are to be blamed either with teh replacement parts or the ageing of the OE parts that came with the car.

Quote:
And it used to happen almost every time the brakes were pressed. Thankfully, MASS acknowledged the problem and replaced the brake assembly free of cost during 1st or 2nd servicing for 2017 batch of Dzire.
Certainly an issue in that case. Instances in my case were not many except when I was reversing.

Also, when you say the MASS replaced the brake assembly, what did they ultimately replace? - Pads, Rotors, Calipers, Brake Cylinder or a combination of these? I am only curious.

For now, these pads I replaced don't make any noise when reversing and the issue seems to have got fixed permanently.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:55   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the comment. But I would like to say one thing that I am nowhere even remotely close to what Shashi does to his cars and the impeccable execution of his jobs. Few of his DIYs have been an inspiration to me too.
Yes Shashi is in a different league but you're getting there, don't worry

Quote:
Not to forget that I have keenly followed the DIYs on your Corolla as well. Such cars remain a keeper for lifetime ain't it?
As for me, well, my DIYs are few and far between now. Mainly because of the fact that Toyota's ASC performs whatever maintenance I ask them to during the annual service. My brake pad and rotor DIY in 2018 just made me realise that my back ain't young and does not appreciate being exposed to twists, bends and turns that are required when working on the chassis and underside of a car.

Plus asking for favours i.e. use of the car hoist from a FNG bloke I know isn't really my cup of tea anymore. The ASC's labour charge is pretty reasonable for these routine maintenance jobs and I just leave it to the "experts" plus I have their big boss i.e. TKM on my side should something be not to my satisfaction.

I have traditionally loved DIYs and taking care of my bikes and cars. This has helped form a pretty deep bond with those machines.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:02   #579
BHPian

Superb thread and pictures. Here's my question to you, if you were to upgrade to a new car, what would replace the Ertiga as well as the WagonR? ( I doubt you'll need a new car, looking at how you maintain both your cars).
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:31   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Superb thread and pictures. Here's my question to you, if you were to upgrade to a new car, what would replace the Ertiga as well as the WagonR? ( I doubt you'll need a new car, looking at how you maintain both your cars).
The Ertiga will surely see something in the Crysta or something from the T stable. I prefer such cars anyday for the peace of mind.

I don't expect MS to have any such cars in their portfolio in future which I can call an upgrade. So the next one for sure will not be a Maruti.

The WagonR could find a replacement in a fast fun to drive hatch, say a Polo.

However, I am sure that one of this will happen even in the next 3 years .
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 14:59   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice DIY's Parag. Enjoyed going through them.

You are right regarding keeping these cars for long. They are built well and last long if taken care of well. Our 10 year old i20 will be with us for a long time for sure. I do a lot of DIY's on it but am too lazy to document them! The pleasure of doing something on the car with a positive outcome is unmatched.

Can you share more details on the stretchable nylon netting and the water resistant tape? What are they called and which shop in SP road stocks them?
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 15:03   #582
BHPian

I just read through 7 year old posts on the very first page of this thread. Enjoyed the way you short listed different cars and finally decided on Ertiga. Glad to know you are making use of its practicality really well.

I own a 7 year old Ritz. I was thinking it's due for a change, but seeing the kilometers yourself (and many others here) have clocked, I think I can run it easily for another 5 years.

I agree on fuss free ownership of Maruti. At 70k kms my car is still running on stock brake pads and clutch. Unlike a few other brands Maruti service guys don't insist on replacing the parts. I feel the other way around, I need to insist and convince them to get anything replaced!
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 17:33   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Our 10 year old i20 will be with us for a long time for sure. I do a lot of DIY's on it but am too lazy to document them!
Only in recent times, I was conscious to click images so I could document them and somehow they helped. Otherwise, I plan to take a lot of pics but then get engrossed in experimentation and execution that I totally ignore the capturing part!!

Your i20 reminds me to ask you a query on lighting for a friend who has a 2013 model. I will quote and post that in auto-lighting thread soon.

Quote:
Can you share more details on the stretchable nylon netting and the water resistant tape? What are they called and which shop in SP road stocks them?
You would have seen the image in my post where I have referred them. These are are called "Cable sleeves". A shop at SP road where we picked them stocks them including a lot of varieties. Mine I think was 5mm Diameter (Damn, I forgot). He also had regular fully covered plastic sleeves as well but I was looking for something like this.

So you pull two ends and stretch this, the diameter reduces while you push a certain stretch towards each other, the diameter expands a bit.

Amazon has a listing but it costs a fortune, LOL!

I had picked 20 meters, with a cost of 15 INR per meter IIRC.

Here is the place where I picked it up from : Cable Crafts

Just ask for cable sleeve and he will give you all the options. This one is flexible sleeve.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:52   #584
BHPian

I am amazed at your skills Parag. Take a bow.
The way you have been able to maintain your Ertiga is a lesson in perfect maintainence. If there is such a thing. The Gear Knob you have installed I think is the one from the New Ertiga and the older one is the beige one you have replaced it with. How is the fitting? I am just curious as I like this one though the black colour is a little different to the beige interiors.

Your love for practical vehicles is absolutely justified and I myself seem to believe in this utility concept. The Ertiga is by no means a perfect car but it's all the car you actually require. Today, my Ertiga Petrol has completed more than 109000 Kms and is running absolutely fine. There are times I get tempted to upgrade, however I don't know what would be an ideal upgrade? To be honest, I feel that still the vehicle has not been utilised to its optimum capacity. It can still keep on chugging miles and prove its utility . There are very few which come close in practicality and the price asked for capable practical vehicles is astronomical.The XL6 seems to be a nice car but at this time I feel no reason to go for a new car for at least 3 years. Your Ownership thread has been like a shining beacon on ownership of the Ertiga.

Last edited by Shwet : 8th October 2020 at 20:07. Reason: Delete
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:35   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
The Gear Knob you have installed I think is the one from the New Ertiga and the older one is the beige one you have replaced it with.
A lot of cars from the current MS stable share this part today.

Quote:
How is the fitting? I am just curious as I like this one though the black colour is a little different to the beige interiors.
Fitting is straightforward. You insert a screwdriver below, expand the base of the knob and pull it up. Fixing is just pushing it down.

By the way, since I didn't like the black lever with a beige boot that seemed like an odd one, I replaced the gear lever boot also with black and that has done some justice now :

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-black-boot.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed