Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 21:43   #211
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

I regularly clean the airfilter (every 3k or so) but I have never heard of the mechanics look into the MAF (118k km done thus far, no check engine lights either). When is it recommended?

Is your DIY identical for the Swift? Personally i'm okay with letting MASS handle it - am not much of a DIYer.
IIRC, no such recommendation or interval but done if issues with fueling or air flow even after replacing filter (Correct me if I'm wrong).

DIY is same as it is the same engine underneath. May be the position of the MAF be at a different angle in the older Swift but rest is same.

I am going to do this too on my Swift shortly.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 17:50   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
When is it recommended?
Drop in performance vis-a-vis increase in Fuel consumption is one of the signs.

Quote:
Is your DIY identical for the Swift? Personally i'm okay with letting MASS handle it - am not much of a DIYer.
Its indeed an easy one! Irrespective of the car or the engine below the Bonnet, MAF Sensor usually have this universal location between the Air Filter outlet and Engine Inlet.

An Electronic coupler that has to be disconnected, the hose clip loosened and the MAF unit removed. 3 Simple steps before you clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
but done if issues with fueling or air flow even after replacing filter (Correct me if I'm wrong).
The MAF measures the Air Flow volume (Rate) after its filtered and fed into the engine. A dirty one can send wrong information to the ECU that in turn adjusts Fuel ratio there after. This can affect your FE and Performance.

In fact, I did watch a video few months back where this gentleman actually took the MAF Readings from OBD Before cleaning and After cleaning. Was interesting to watch this.

ajmat has in a very detailed manner explained this DIY right here in this thread.

On what to use for cleaning the MAF:

Stay away from using WD40 or Choke/Carbon Cleaner or even Carburetor Spray. This is highly NOT recommended to clean the MAF which is more of an electronic sensor.

I got hold of this can after a lot of calling and pestering with a Chemical supplier in SP Road in Bangalore and he got one for me from Gurgaon from CRC's main office.

Since ajmat has used IPA for the DIY, I can bet that IPA Itself will suffice for this cleaning. Upon smelling the spray (CRC Airflow Sensor Cleaner), my nose literally burned as it was almost smelling as Raw Alcohol.

Bottom line - IPA will easily do and you really don't need to buy an airflow sensor spray for this DIY.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 18:02   #213
BANNED

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The MAF measures the Air Flow volume (Rate) after its filtered and fed into the engine. A dirty one can send wrong information to the ECU that in turn adjusts Fuel ratio there after. This can affect your FE and Performance.
Excessive Black smoke during acceleration (not hard acceleration)?!

Quote:
In fact, I did watch a video few months back where this gentleman actually took the MAF Readings from OBD Before cleaning and After cleaning. Was interesting to watch this.
Any link to the video?

Quote:
ajmat has in a very detailed manner explained this DIY right here Bottom line - IPA will easily do and you really don't need to buy an airflow sensor spray for this DIY.
Did search a few shops here but no use hence I will be using 100% IPA for the cleaning of the MAF.

Shall do it and update the results.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:06   #214
BHPian

Hello!

extremely rich and well crafted thread you got here.

I have been dissecting all Ertiga threads for cues. Im looking at getting either an Ertiga or Ecosport and would be TD-ing them both this week.

I am on my 60k stretch with my XUV and post 35k it has been a gradual built up to some colossal maintenance costs for me. I am now looking at Ertiga as a possible replacement. And im veering towards Zxi, mentally blocking out 'diesel' because of my current experiences with XUV. Although the more i read i find enough case for Ertiga diesel being a more fun engine.

Question for you would be more towards maintenance cost for the diesel variant? Has it been at a manageable level? Do you foresee a significant reduction in its response/refinement as you approach the 50k mark?

cheers!
inomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 15:23   #215
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
And im veering towards Zxi, mentally blocking out 'diesel' because of my current experiences with XUV. Although the more i read i find enough case for Ertiga diesel being a more fun engine.

Question for you would be more towards maintenance cost for the diesel variant? Has it been at a manageable level? Do you foresee a significant reduction in its response/refinement as you approach the 50k mark?
If I can answer your query here,

What is the distances that you would be planning to do with the Ertiga?

I am pretty sure the engine is going to be rock solid even after a 1 lakh on the odometer. Robust, frugal and fuel efficient motor the Ertiga has got underneath.

Maintenance part is more down to the owner and his alertness when the servicing job card is prepared. If the job card contains what is ONLY required then the bills will be under control keeping overall ownership costs low.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:32   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If I can answer your query here,

What is the distances that you would be planning to do with the Ertiga?

I am pretty sure the engine is going to be rock solid even after a 1 lakh on the odometer. Robust, frugal and fuel efficient motor the Ertiga has got underneath.

Maintenance part is more down to the owner and his alertness when the servicing job card is prepared. If the job card contains what is ONLY required then the bills will be under control keeping overall ownership costs low.
hi anurag,

thanks for the response. The new car is meant to run under 1000kms pm. Most of the driving around to happen for family errands and my driver would by behind the wheels on weekdays. It is equally meant to be the car of choice for highway trips, which are at least 1-2 every month 400 - 800 kms range.

i know what you mean by an alert owner keeps the bill low bit... but my guess is that you havent read through a thread titled 'XUV niggles and their solutions'
Old 24th February 2015, 15:53   #217
BANNED

Quote:
hi anurag,

thanks for the response. The new car is meant to run under 1000kms pm. Most of the driving around to happen for family errands and my driver would by behind the wheels on weekdays. It is equally meant to be the car of choice for highway trips, which are at least 1-2 every month 400 - 800 kms range.

i know what you mean by an alert owner keeps the bill low bit... but my guess is that you havent read through a thread titled 'XUV niggles and their solutions'
If the monthly running is low and may not go above 3000-3500 kms then stick to Petrol i.e ZXi variant. The K14M engine is a great one too which will not be an issue for city errands or even the highway trips that you'd be doing. Go ahead.

I am not much into the XUV thread so not much updated with the niggles.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 16:04   #218
BHPian

XUV was one of the vehicles I had almost issued a cheque to book. This was back in Oct 2011. The initial lot have had their fair share of niggles. Considerable time, energy and long waiting time at a workshop is certainly not a great way to own a new vehicle.

I am ware of quite a few niggles when one owns a XUV. Heck even Land Rover has started to see customer complaints of expensive parts, long waiting (please read several weeks) for basic parts such as wiper or battery.

By contrast, Ertiga is a well finished (though minus bells and whistles) product. There are a few of us (me including) here who have done more than 40k. Both, the petrol and the diesel engines are good. Ownership of a Maruti vehicle is fuss free, frugal and well supported in all sorts of small towns as well.

You won't go wrong with an Ertiga - the choice of petrol or diesel engine is based on useage.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 10:34   #219
BHPian

Quote:
I am on my 60k stretch with my XUV and post 35k it has been a gradual built up to some colossal maintenance costs for me. I am now looking at Ertiga as a possible replacement. And im veering towards Zxi, mentally blocking out 'diesel' because of my current experiences with XUV. Although the more i read i find enough case for Ertiga diesel being a more fun engine.
Quote:
hi anurag,

But my guess is that you havent read through a thread titled 'XUV niggles and their solutions'
@inomad - I would like to break the problem down to Engine related and Everything else

The current diesel engines are built tough and can last well beyond 1.25 lakh kms with regular service

The biggest issue that has been forcing me stay away from XUV is the electronics reliability part.

Could you confirm if the Cost of ownership has gone because of mechanical part replacement or electronics

Old 26th February 2015, 14:53   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@inomad - I would like to break the problem down to Engine related and Everything else

The current diesel engines are built tough and can last well beyond 1.25 lakh kms with regular service

The biggest issue that has been forcing me stay away from XUV is the electronics reliability part.

Could you confirm if the Cost of ownership has gone because of mechanical part replacement or electronics

Rightly said that cost of maintenance is composed of many things. And my spends have been comprehensive.

Initially it was just the electronics (the sound system would go kaput every 3000kms).
Then it came to brake pads and suspensions - I've had to change the brake pads thrice and suspensions once
Last month my diesel tank has to be replaced because of leakage
Last week my whole clutch system had to be replaced.

The average servicing bills have been in the range of 15 to 20k. I ha e bought extended warranty but it doesn't cover everything that I've just listed.

So while the mhawk per se is reliable, everything else is jittery.
inomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 16:15   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

45,000 Kms Update

1 Year, 4 months & 22 days = 45000 kms

This happened yesterday while returning from a 5 day trip to Goa.

Nothing significant that I need to report at this stage. The performance remains same and so is the comfort on highways during those long all day runs.

A few pictures taken this noon after I washed it soon after my return yesterday.

The current ODO Reading as of this afternoon:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131453.jpg

The exteriors:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131154.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131202.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131212.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131223.jpg

The Interiors:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131348.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150309_131358.jpg

Note the sunshades that I picked from ebay few weeks before. I got 6 pieces (Includes 2 for last row as well) for 900 bucks and these magnetic that stick to the frame of the Window.

During our drive to Ahmedabad last month and Goa last weekend, I used these shades all the times and it did make a lot of difference in terms of in-cabin cooling. The effect of the AC was faster and no burning of your arms resting on that door!

The pain of course is the driver side window that you cannot use due to frequent toll booths appearing on the highway.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th March 2015 at 16:35.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 18:28   #222
BHPian

Hi Parag,

Thats some serious mile crunching. And the vehicle looks fresh even after running for some many Kms. Do you see any rattles inside the cabin?

Also, can you provide more details of the seat cover you have installed. Place, cost, etc.

My original seats have become very dirty now, after 2 years. So, planning to go for covers.

Regards
Suhas
Blr_RK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 19:00   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Thats some serious mile crunching. And the vehicle looks fresh even after running for some many Kms. Do you see any rattles inside the cabin?
So far no such rattles to worry. 2nd row seats do rattle once in a while depending on the road but then I keep torquing the bolts regularly (So far twice) and it ensures there is no extra noise.

Quote:
Also, can you provide more details of the seat cover you have installed. Place, cost, etc.
He's my regular chap who does door service for installing seat covers and has done it now for more than 20 referrals of mine that includes Linea, SX4, Palio, Ecosport, WagonR, Swift, Spark etc.

I paid 10500 almost same time when I bought the car (Oct 2013).

Quote:
My original seats have become very dirty now, after 2 years. So, planning to go for covers.
In my case I had no second thought. Kids in car, driving around places including beaches meant I had to go for such covers.

These covers help a lot when it comes to moisture and dust as it is easy to wash the seats.

I will PM you the contact details of the Seat cover chap and you can directly talk to him.
Old 10th March 2015, 08:35   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Parag, that looks spanking new. Hope you didn't upload your old pics taken on delivery day. Superbly maintained! Doesn't have any trace of 45K Kms on it except the ODO. And super quick to 45K. Wish you many more happy miles!!!
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 09:11   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Parag, that looks spanking new. Hope you didn't upload your old pics taken on delivery day. Superbly maintained! Doesn't have any trace of 45K Kms on it except the ODO. And super quick to 45K. Wish you many more happy miles!!!
Thanks Arun. We faced rains on our return for an hour. The car had become really dirty that I had to wash before driving to work yesterday.

8 out of 10 washes that I do is with plain water and only rare occasions I use any wash shampoos. So far, it has helped me keep both the Ertiga and WagonR look fresh with hardly any signs of ageing. No polishing or waxing too though am keen for the Ertiga due to its darker shade.

The recent was yesterday was also necessary for this 45K update also .So the photos are "fresh". A little dirty looking Ertiga is already posted by me yesterday in the stickers spotting thread.

The next few weeks I seriously need to expedite certain pending DIYs before heading for my GJ trip in May.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th March 2015 at 09:12.

Most Viewed