Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2015, 10:16   #226
Senior - BHPian

Prague just 2 weeks back you had 40K kms ! About the pic , yes even I have a doubt that you are now an expert at PS. I know you don't spend time on detailing but still your car looks same as it was on day one.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:26   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Prague just 2 weeks back you had 40K kms ! About the pic , yes even I have a doubt that you are now an expert at PS. I know you don't spend time on detailing but still your car looks same as it was on day one.
You told me the same when we first met and I was driving the WagonR .

We met recently when we did the Linea Ciaz Ertiga Mileage drive but it was dark that you didn't notice the car.

I use T-shirt to wipe the water droplets and a bottle with pre mixed water and shampoo to spray all over body in final round and wipe it clean. Includes all lights and glass and mirrors too.
Old 10th March 2015, 14:22   #228
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
1 Year, 4 months & 22 days = 45000 kms
Your 1.xx year new Ertiga has run more than my 8 year old Civic . Although, I probably put in an equal number of kms between my own cars & testing new cars.

Out of curiosity, does your work entail a lot of inter-city travel? Or do you & your family just love driving holidays

Thanks for sharing the update!
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 15:39   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of curiosity, does your work entail a lot of inter-city travel? Or do you & your family just love driving holidays

Thanks for sharing the update!
Thanks GTO !

Actually it is the latter that is the reason behind these ticks on the Odo.

Pune, Mumbai, Aurangabad or Ahmedabad - Even it it is just myself and my parents, we prefer the road over Flight, Train or a Bus.

I do manage leaves for the same quite smartly - That is, I cover maximum distance in a day that otherwise would take at least 2 days with a halt wasting precious leaves! At times, I start at 3pm after wrapping up my official work and reach destination a little past midnight and gain a day.

For instance, I recently did Bangalore-Ahmedabad-Bangalore in 4 days including 2 nights halt right at Ahmedabad. Basically, it was a 4:30am to 12:00mn run covering 1530 kms in a day and same with return. This is with 2 days leave (Fri-Mon). And I don't force this rule with any of the family members and they know they will always feel comfortable at the end of that journey.

Whether its my parents, wife or even Daughter, they prefer road over any other mode of travel. My Daughter has covered all the running-in during her initial years that she and I can travel alone over a super long distances soon.

Incidentally, my daughter's school had a farm visit and they(School) had arranged for a Bus for the same and her only excitement was sitting in a Bus .

This has been a regular affair since the WagonR days. WagonR used to run Bangalore-Surat while the Ertiga comfortably does Bangalore-Ahmedabad now.

So the nearest trip when we all feel we haven't stepped out is 250 kms one way with a same day return from Chikmagalur!

To add to all this, my daily office run is about ~70 kms while I do work from home quite often.

Finally, Its Diesel and that becomes a primary reason now - One Tank to Goa and One Tank to return back. All in under 4K.

Now don't ask me how does my wife not yell at me for spending so much on car (My 30 and 40K service happened in under 3 months) for which I have managed to explain that, LOL!

Come April-May, I haven't got as much leaves that I can drive, stay and return from Rajkot but I promised my wife that I will drive to Rajkot to pick them back after Summer holidays.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th March 2015 at 15:42.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 20:53   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO !

Actually it is the latter that is the reason behind these ticks on the Odo.

Pune, Mumbai, Aurangabad or Ahmedabad - Even it it is just myself and my parents, we prefer the road over Flight, Train or a Bus.

I do manage leaves for the same quite smartly - That is, I cover maximum distance in a day that otherwise would take at least 2 days with a halt wasting precious leaves! At times, I start at 3pm after wrapping up my official work and reach destination a little past midnight and gain a day.

For instance, I recently did Bangalore-Ahmedabad-Bangalore in 4 days including 2 nights halt right at Ahmedabad. Basically, it was a 4:30am to 12:00mn run covering 1530 kms in a day and same with return. This is with 2 days leave (Fri-Mon). And I don't force this rule with any of the family members and they know they will always feel comfortable at the end of that journey.

That is a lot of driving Parag!
Is it only you doing the driving or do others take it over for some time?
Old 10th March 2015, 21:18   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
That is a lot of driving Parag!
Is it only you doing the driving or do others take it over for some time?
It's just me gomzi. My wife has driven the Ertiga only 20 odd kms on NH48 one Saturday noon but that's about it.

The WagonR in its 220K kms has never seen anyone else drive whenever it was taken on highway drives anywhere around the country. I am way too particular about giving the wheel to anyone, more so when on the highway. Of course, my better half now consistently clocks at least 20 kms on every weekday now .

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th March 2015 at 21:20. Reason: Typo
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 23:12   #232
BHPian

This is super useful, but I don't think I can do this on my own :-).. I am in BLR, so anyone you know who can help install?

Also, Parag wanted to talk to you if possible reg your headlights etc. as well.. and I can't send you a PM so if you can send then I can reply maybe

Thank you!
Old 17th March 2015, 18:38   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
This is super useful, but I don't think I can do this on my own :-).. I am in BLR, so anyone you know who can help install?
Sorry for being ignorant but what installation are you referring to?

Quote:
Also, Parag wanted to talk to you if possible reg your headlights etc. as well.. and I can't send you a PM so if you can send then I can reply maybe

Thank you!
After I bought the Ertiga and drove 5K kms, I am running it with Philips Wiring Kit (Relay, Ceramic Holders, Fuses) and 100/90 Philips Rally Bulbs.

I was confident on this set-up as I have been using the same in the WagonR as well (although the Relay kit was from Hella since Philips was not in the market for such kits then, or may be I never saw one).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 20:51   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for being ignorant but what installation are you referring to?
Sorry..I meant to refer to the armrest installation. I was replying to that post but didn't quote so my stupidity..

After I bought the Ertiga and drove 5K kms, I am running it with Philips Wiring Kit (Relay, Ceramic Holders, Fuses) and 100/90 Philips Rally Bulbs.

I was confident on this set-up as I have been using the same in the WagonR as well (although the Relay kit was from Hella since Philips was not in the market for such kits then, or may be I never saw one).[/quote]

I upgraded my bulbs to a 55/60W 5000K Philips DiamondVision but it is of no real use with no significant difference in the illumination, so was wondering what next.
Old 17th March 2015, 22:51   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Sorry..I meant to refer to the armrest installation. I was replying to that post but didn't quote so my stupidity..

I was confident on this set-up as I have been using the same in the WagonR as well (although the Relay kit was from Hella since Philips was not in the market for such kits then, or may be I never saw one).[/quote]

I upgraded my bulbs to a 55/60W 5000K Philips DiamondVision but it is of no real use with no significant difference in the illumination, so was wondering what next.

Mods: Just re-posting as I forgot the opening 'Quote' in bold, so you can delete my earlier post and let this remain or edit the earlier post accordingly
Old 7th May 2015, 15:26   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

50,000 kms done!

The 50,000 Kms update:

It took 1Y-6M-21D to reach the 50,000 kms milestone on the Ertiga. This is surely faster than how the WagonR reached this figure more so due to the reason that I have been driving this to work on regular basis (Used to ride at times during 2006-2008).

Apart from that, the trips to Pune, Ahmedabad, Chikmagalur/Belur on regular intervals has also been pocket friendly (in comparison) whenever we have travelled with at least 3 co-passengers excluding myself.

Long way to go before you catch up with the Tallboy:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_212001bordermaker.jpg

I will be driving to Rajkot next friday covering at least 4500 due to a non standard route I am planning to take during return. Hence, I got the 50K Service done when the ODO was around 15kms short to 50,000 on yesterday.

Almost everyday rains since the last fortnight, I better not struggle to wash it:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_131829_richtonehdrbordermaker.jpg
The ever busy service area at Surakshaa, Bangalore:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_141417_richtonehdrbordermaker.jpg
Stock Brake Pads at 50,000 kms (Another easy 10k kms):

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_145528bordermaker.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_145718bordermaker.jpg
The Service Advisor was sure that the Brake pads were replaced earlier while I confidently kept denying as I knew Brake pads in my cars have always lasted longer. He then checks the DMS (history) and comes back and acknowledges that they were indeed stock and was surprised too.

Got both the brakes cleaned

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_145506bordermaker.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_145737bordermaker.jpg

Upon removing the wheels and assessing, it was found that the right hand side stabilizer link was weak. Got the same replaced during this service.

New Stabilizer link in place (450/-)

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_150723bordermaker.jpg

Intercooler Cleaning:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_151250bordermaker.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_152030bordermaker.jpg
This time I wanted the EGR as well was the Intercooler cleaned as it was never cleaned before. However, I only went ahead with the Intercooler cleaning alone and pushed the EGR cleaning for the next service. There was no black smoke on revving higher too.

After the service, along with the fact that I shifted to Fully Synthetic oil this time, there has been no significant difference in performance. It remains as good as before. ( I drove the complete NICE road stretch on yesterday during my return to work at typical highway speeds).

However, I did notice that the rev counter climbs 2000 RPM a bit quicker than before and I relate this to the new oil (Synthetic over Semi Synthetic). Ideally, not much of a difference otherwise.

Hence, I have now decided that I will do EGR and Intercooler cleaning only over at least 40k Intervals.

Switched from Semi Synthetic to Fully Synthetic Oil:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150506_161250bordermaker.jpg

This decision was experimental. Having used Semi Synthetic during 30K and 40K service and the fact that I will drive to Rajkot next weekend, I wanted to get the right feel of the difference with the Fully Synthetic oil again. Would be able to confirm my findings after the drive next week.

After yesterday's service clicked this today at Yelehanka Railway Station when I went to receive few guests:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150507_134537bordermaker.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th May 2015 at 15:52.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 15:30   #237
BHPian

Hello Parag,

Shouldn't the stabiliser link be covered under warranty? Most Maruti suzuki cars have 60000 kms warranty for Suspension components isn't it?
Old 7th May 2015, 15:40   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Hello Parag,

Shouldn't the stabiliser link be covered under warranty? Most Maruti suzuki cars have 60000 kms warranty for Suspension components isn't it?
Not sure about this honestly. I didn't bother much knowing it would cost only 450 bucks. Also, I have had no experience with the WagonR on claiming anything under extended Warranty (within 80k kms too) that I didn't pay much attention to this.

The place where I stay is undergoing lot of road works in the last 1 year. Every 3 months there is a new diversion and that is on really bad roads. I was somehow sure that the suspension bushes would give way sooner but they were in tact. The Stabilizer link on right was however weak when compared with its counterpart on the left hand side. Assuming this is normal wear just like brake pads and not a manufacturing defect, I didn't even want to take the Warranty route for this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th May 2015 at 15:47.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 16:43   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

It was a usual weekend but with my siblings and their kids here for their Summer vacation, we headed to Belur on Saturday noon and returned on the same night.
Parked at our home in Belur:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-c360_20150509165328342.jpg

It was a quick drive with few hours spent at my home and the temple next to it. Kids enjoyed playing and we returned happily.

Onward -7 Adults and 2 kids (One aged 4 and another 5)
Return - 5 Adults and 2 Kids
Cruising speeds - 100-120 KMPH
Overall FE - 18.4 KMPL (MID)

Total Trip distance:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150510_104112_richtonehdr.jpg
Average FE for the Trip:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150510_104129_richtonehdr.jpg
Fuel Gauge reading:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150510_104142_richtonehdr.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 17:44   #240
Team-BHP Support

Re: 50,000 kms done!

Quote:

Switched from Semi Synthetic to Fully Synthetic Oil:

If i were you, would move to Mobil Delvac 1 for synthetic oil. Shell Helix Ultra is NOT the right oil for diesel crde engines. The amount of detergent it has is much lesser in comparison to what diesel engines need.

Most Viewed