Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2016, 23:36   #436
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Been using 3pst's of exactly the same size for last 15k kms after having XM2s for last 60k kms.
3psts:
1. Stone chips getting stuck in between the grooves is a severe problem.

2. Already got 5 punctures even though I am very careful about bad patches. (Though routes I ply on have changed).

3. Everything else feels better.
arighna.dutta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 08:38   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have been using P3STs on my S cross since 11k. I would say they are more of comfort oriented tyres, which is a boon for long drives.
Couldn't agree to you in any better way!

Its now 200+ Kms of driving these and I can say these are indeed comfort oriented tires. Simplest instance that I could relate to was passing over flyover joints. The XM2 felt hard and the P3STs have that "cushioning" comfort. Not that Its due to the age of XM2s but that is exactly how I felt from day 1.

Quote:
I could immediately notice the difference since I have used the XM2s on my Swift for close to 70k. The tyre noise over concrete is lesser with the P3STs.
Completely agree again. My main test for noise will always be concrete roads than the usual asphalt. This is because there is considerable section of concrete that I get on the way to Pune/Mumbai and I know the cracking noise that creeps in all the times when you drive here.

Additionally, you really can expect the co-passengers to guess your speeds
Quote:
I drive to Mumbai almost every weekend and take the MPEW. People who frequent that route would know how noisy the road is.
I know now as I get around 8 kms of concrete stretch on my return that itself was a good test track to ascertain tire noise over concrete surface.

Verdict - They are indeed silent than XM2s.

Quote:
Regarding the engine oil, you will get to know on the performance as you rake in more kms on the odo.
Been around 7,000 kms with Mobil 1 Delvac. Honestly, its just like the MGDO I was using. But I would wait till at least 10,000 kms on how it fares in terms of longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
1. Stone chips getting stuck in between the grooves is a severe problem.
I expected that as the P3STs have 3 groves and narrower than XM2. Easier for small pebbles to get stuck. Will have to check on frequent basis.

Quote:
2. Already got 5 punctures even though I am very careful about bad patches.
That is not good and I suspect that would be to do with the "comfort" nature of these tires? XM2s that was have been brilliant on bad roads. No sidewall bulges and no punctures except 2 in the end.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 11:58   #438
BHPian

I have experienced only one or two punctures with my XM2s in these 4 years and lately a side wall cut purely because of my fault. However, P3STs might be also equally reliable and hoping those punctures were more of my bad luck. I have changed my commute path for last two months and have not faced any punctures till now, hence I won't be blaming the soft components yet.
arighna.dutta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 13:15   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Tire replacement:

Finally, went ahead and replaced the tires for the Ertiga on yesterday, this time settled for Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/65/R15 profile from the existing 205/65/R15.
Attachment 1581421
Welcome to 3ST club.
Knowing your usage pattern, I hope these tyres last a minimum another 80K+ kms.

I have these on my SCross. 18k kms down the road, I guess they are good for another 40k.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 13:22   #440
Team-BHP Support

Good choice on the 3STs Paragbhai. I've had them since the last 45k km and looks like they would last another 15k km, judging by the current treads. No issues of sidewall ruptures or too many punctures (just had one so far) despite the car having the same usage pattern. Road noise was also reduced to a great extent compared to the stock Apollo Aceleres. Highly recommended!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 13:25   #441
BHPian

Hello Paragbhai,

How much did you shell out for the P3ST? Was it a authorized Michelin dealer?

Cheers
Rahulb22
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:17   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Paragbhai,

How much did you shell out for the P3ST? Was it a authorized Michelin dealer?

Cheers
Rahulb22
I Paid 6150 Per Tire Rahul & through an authorized Michelin Dealer.

SLNP Pit Stop, Yelahanka. This was less than 10m drive for me and I didn't have to thin twice. I am not sure if this was the best deal but I didn't want to drive inside the city for this when I could do that with a signal free drive and at a place I have known (Their other branch is in Sanjaynagar).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:32   #443
BHPian

Quote:
I Paid 6150 Per Tire Rahul & through an authorized Michelin Dealer.

SLNP Pit Stop, Yelahanka. This was less than 10m drive for me and I didn't have to thin twice. I am not sure if this was the best deal but I didn't want to drive inside the city for this when I could do that with a signal free drive and at a place I have known (Their other branch is in Sanjaynagar).
I guess that's a good deal considering Tyremarket.com is quoting 5902 per tire.I somehow feel we may end up buying old tyres online. So a 250 premium is fine since you get to see what you buy!!
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:58   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess that's a good deal considering Tyremarket.com is quoting 5902 per tire.I somehow feel we may end up buying old tyres online. So a 250 premium is fine since you get to see what you buy!!
And I didn't pay a penny towards Wheel Alignment & Balancing which saved me ~ 800 Bucks including weights.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 18:44   #445
BHPian

Hey Parag

Getting new shoes is great news. Michellin Primacy is also what I have in my Ertiga. Immediately after the change of the tires I had departed on the long drive across KA-MH-GJ-RJ-HR-DL-CH and back. Even my wife noticed a smoother ride. I am saying even because she would not normally notice vehicle things. I have since done approx. 20k.

And I see you drove 90k on XM2. You really take good care of your vehicle and the tires indicate that. Makes me wonder did I change the previous tires too early!

Wishing you seasons greetings and loads of safe miles ahead.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:17   #446
BHPian

Parag Bhai, You are the community Ertiga expert. Can you please help me/Comment on the issue I am facing? I posted it in "What's that sound" section.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4132325

Thanks a bunch for your attention.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:41   #447
BHPian

Hello Parag Bhai,

How is the experience with the new P3STs? Have you tried full load on the 195/65?

I request an advice from you. I just completed 40500 Kms on the stock Goodyear and the tyres look good for another 8-10k kms. Do you suggest that I keep them for some more time or go in for a new set of tyres?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 27th February 2017, 07:55   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread and that is because there hasn't been much of driving except couple of day trips to Chikmagalur & Sakaleshpur & one to Pollachi.

My office commute has drastically reduced as its been a month since I drove to work and have been continuing to work from home.

However, there has been one issue that I have noticed off late and that has really got me think day in and out.

Jerks felt when shifting gears - Up/Down:

Since my overall running had reduced in the past month, It took a while for me to realise that there was something amiss either with my driving or the way I was shifting gears. I didn't suspect the former for I have been driving this for over 1 L kms and that is exactly where it got me thinking.

Here is exactly the way I shall try to explain the issue that I am facing:
  • I can slot in all gears - Up or Down, without any issues

• When I am gaining speeds and shifting - Up or Down, exactly around 80% after I release the Clutch pedal, I feel a slight jerk

• This Jerk is felt when I shift from 1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1 and release the clutch while the car is in motion and gears are shifted based on the speed (and engine RPMs)that one does under normal driving circumstances

• The Jerk is felt even when I release the clutch very very slowly

• The jerk is again evident when I am in any one particular gear and I release mt foot off the throttle and press the throttle again, no matter how gently I press the throttle, there is little jerk that is felt

Since this certainly wasn't a "Known issue" was peculiar, we had to troubleshoot to isolate individual components. The good thing (which you always wish happens) is that the Service technicians at the ASC were able to acknowledge that there is something unusual.

Things done so far to troubleshoot this:
  • Clutch fluid system lines were bled

• The ASC suspected the Cover Assembly could be at fault and hence installed a brand new one so that I could drive around for few days and check - Unfortunately, the issue was still evident when I get out of the ASC last week

• Since I am able to slot into all the gears without any issues or hesitation, I highly doubt that the Synchronizer Rings would be at play here

• As this happens exactly when the clutch is released 80%, I am beginning to suspect the release bearing or the Clutch cylinder as well

• However, the clutch Cylinder, Flywheel and the release bearing were replaced when I last replaced the clutch when I faced the Sync Ring issue at around 97,000 kms on the ODO

• Ironically, after running on that new clutch for 17,000 kms, there is no wear on the clutch plate when the ASC inspected that

• The Pedal action is perfect with no abnormal hardness or unusual softness felt and so are the brakes which are again behaving normally - Suspecting the master Cylinder would again be a faraway option

However, this week I intend to further isolate each of these components by individually trying out the Release Bearing & Master Cylinder as well to rule out either one of this.

In fact, I am even contemplating to see if replacing the complete clutch assembly will solve this problem (could be due to a faulty MGP clutch replaced last time?).

Interestingly, when I was looking for causes, I came across this thread on TAI where a Figo owner had faced the exact issue as mine (word to word) and eventually the issue got resolved only after the entire clutch assembly was replaced.

Beyond this there is nothing significant to update - The Odometer is 150 short of 115,000 and few more drives planned in coming month.

Quote:
How is the experience with the new P3STs? Have you tried full load on the 195/65?
Quite regularly during last month Rahul. We had a wedding in family and I would have done at least 10-12 runs with 7 Adults on board from home to the wedding hall.

Overall, I am happy with the comfort of 195-65 due to the extra rubber and the noiseless performance as well. These are indeed comfort oriented tires over XM2.

Quote:
I request an advice from you. I just completed 40500 Kms on the stock Goodyear and the tyres look good for another 8-10k kms. Do you suggest that I keep them for some more time or go in for a new set of tyres?
I had the same Good Years as stock which I replaced at 16,000 kms as I never like them. If you need better driving experience, I would say replace them as they have anyway served you for 40K Kms now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th February 2017 at 08:18.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 09:19   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, there has been one issue that I have noticed off late and that has really got me think day in and out.

Jerks felt when shifting gears - Up/Down:
Issue fixed - It was the Diesel Filter

There wasn't much troubleshooting done in this regard over the next 2-3 days of driving and the unusual jerks continued to cause irritation when driving in B2B traffic or during shifting up/down.

However, since I had earlier mentioned that I was facing jerks even when I was accelerating after slowing down, It started giving me hints that the issue was not related to the clutch or the transmission system.

So I began to test one day with the following actions:
  • Drive in only one gear at the speed of 30-40 KMPH and try to gain speed (apply throttle) or slow down (release throttle)

• When shifting up, as soon as I change the gears, instead of a light foot, use heavy foot on the throttle pedal to accelerate - This actually reduced those jerks

• Stop by, and in neutral, try to feel the way engine revs respond to throttle inputs - 10%, 20%, 50% etc : The first 10-20% of the throttle response was as if there is something holding the revs to increase

• Apply and release throttle in quick succession while in neutral - The revs didn't match the throttle inputs

The above signs clearly hinted it was either bad fuel or a clogged fuel filter.

I visit the ASC the next day and find out that the last Fuel filter change was done during the Periodic Service at 82,000 Kms

It meant that the current fuel filter had run ~33,000 kms while the replacement interval is only 20,000 kms!

This happened due to many reasons:

After the periodic service at 82,000 kms, I replaced just the oil, Air and Oil Filter at 1,02,000 Kms at the same ASC carrying my own oil (Mobil Delvac 1)

Quote:
Engine Oil - Mobil 1 Delvac:

In the other updates, for the first time I changed the Engine oil to Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 a month back. BHPian FunkyKar picked this for me from his usual stockist. I visited the ASC, paid for the Engine Oil filter and Air Filter and got the oil replaced along with a new Drain Nut/Plug as usual.

Secondly, I had faced the Gear Synchoronizer issue at 97,000 kms where the ASC replaced brake/clutch fluid & Transmission Oil anyway that this thought of replacing Diesel Filter simply never came into my mind due to the frequency.

I had this discussion with Audioholic and Leoshashi over Whatsapp and there were similar conclusions - Its not the Clutch, its something else - May be Fuel or the Filter.

So the filter element was duly removed and this is how bad it looked at 33,000 kms:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170301_185728.jpg

Post replacement of Filter Element, it took me less than 300 meters to figure out that the glory is back - Rev happiness, smoothness at low revs, throttle response was back to normal.

Lesson Learnt : A clogged Diesel filter can cause a lot issues like one that happened with me and it better get replaced at the mentioned intervals. For the way adulteration in Diesel happens, even 20,000 kms seems like longer change interval. It wasn't due to negligence but sheer confusion due to which It somehow went out of my head.

Apart from that, the ODO reached 115,000 exactly on the day the Fuel Filter was replaced:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170301_212541.jpg

Here are few more pictures of couple of drives we went along with Bhpian friends arunjosie, speedsatya and Funkykar (And his Ambassador) to Pollachi & Sakaleshpur over the past 2-3 weekends.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20170211_115923.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img20170302wa0064.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-img20170302wa0054.jpg

A drive to Pune, Shirdi and Aurangabad this month and one to Rajkot and back next month is now confirmed to stretch my legs and add another ~ 5700 kms apart from the usual unplanned drives and office commute!

Timing Chain replacement: Done at 1,10,000 kms (will shortly update)

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th March 2017 at 09:24.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 09:53   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It meant that the current fuel filter had run ~33,000 kms while the replacement interval is only 20,000 kms!
Thanks for that info. I haven't replaced my fuel filter ever since I purchased the car and a quick check of the manual reveals that Mahindra recommends a 30K interval for fuel filter change.

There are some days when the car feels a little lazy and it takes time for the revs to build. Usually observed this during city drives and not the highway sprints. All this time I was wondering if its just my paranoia playing tricks but now I know it could be the fuel filter.

I am pretty sure that the condition of the filter is not going to be very pretty, and I wonder why M&M recommends 30K kms instead of 20K given the quality of fuel in India. Like the air filter, the fuel filter change intervals seems to be on the higher end of the spectrum and looks like I will have to follow a 20K interval going forward.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks