Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:17   #46
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi, 20000 kms report

Hearty congrats Parag.

Ertiga is definitely an excellent VFM car. I thank my family every day for dragging me out of the inclination towards Xylo.

I drive 60kms every day ( Yelhanka to Bannerghatta road & back ) in absolute mayhem of traffic. It's 6 months now & not a single day did I end up with a sore body. Yes, turbo lag is something one will find their way to adjust. I am 6'1".

The only problem I see is the hard slotting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gets very annoying at times. All I get from Maruti Service advisors is that it's normal and will smoothen out in the long run. Somehow I am not convinced.

I arrive to Maruti having driven Vento & Figo before. Are my expectations too high?
rajwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:22   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Super thread as usual! Definitely helpful for someone planning a new car.

My advise based on historical data is that you shouldn't risk servicing your car at Suraksha. If I were you , the first thing I would do is find a new service station ASAP. Their dwindling service quality was the only reason I decided to never buy a maruti again.
Thanks Satya. You know how we discussed about picking up the next car which ultimately settled with the Ertiga.

Regarding the Service, Well, whether it is Mandovi or Surakshaa, I have always made it a point to stay along with the vehicle while it is attended. Be that the WagonR or the service that Ertiga went through at 1000 kms.

I don't really mind taking a day off for service and stay with the car for 2 reasons : I get to learn about various things done during the service (helps me evaluate a DIY option) and second reason is that I get to see what is done for what I pay for (and if it is really done or not).

Both these centers have been immensely obliging when it comes to this and they have always known that I will prefer to stay back with the car and hence they dont even ask me if they can drop the car to my Home/Office.

I have been very specific with this and will always remain so. It could be due to this reason I have not faced any untoward situation at the ASC so far. touchwood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
The only problem I see is the hard slotting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gets very annoying at times. All I get from Maruti Service advisors is that it's normal and will smoothen out in the long run. Somehow I am not convinced.
So far, I haven't faced this issue. In fact, you stay close by. You are welcome to feel the gear slotting in my WagonR also which is supposed to be the most notchy otherwise even after 2,15 lac on the odo. It slots like a knife through the butter like most of my friends have said and I am glad its remained the same even today.

I think ensuring to change transmission oil regularly is the key. Also, you will notice that during chilly conditions, slotting is a bit hard for a while since the gear oil is also cold and not really a fluid till it all warms up helping the gears mesh smoothly.
Quote:
I arrive to Maruti having driven Vento & Figo before. Are my expectations too high?
Honestly, Don't have too much expectations in terms of superior performance. As you know its got a 1.3 L engine pulled by 90 Horses, it is likely to make you happy by giving its best in terms of comfort to at least 1st and 2nd row passenger and cruising manners on the highway. End of that long journey,I wanted none of the occupants to complain. 2 of them in their 60s and ingress-egress and seating height and comfort became a key for me. The Ertiga made a lot of sense then.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd December 2013 at 11:31.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Story is not yet over!

Almost 8 Fantastic years of driving a Tall-boy crunching more than 210,000 Kms
Parag, when the the annual average usage was seemingly clear I don't understand what made you delay shifting to diesel. You could have easily saved a couple of lakhs mate !
Abhiranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:07   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiranjan View Post

Parag, when the the annual average usage was seemingly clear I don't understand what made you delay shifting to diesel. You could have easily saved a couple of lakhs mate !
You talking about saving a few lakhs buddy? If so, you would have likely asked me to sell my WagonR at 100k on the Odo itself :-).
At least I don't drive to save. This Ertiga is a diesel only because it made sense to have a diesel as a second car.
If saving was on my mind, I would've plonked a LPG or a CNG kit like how many have done for the Waggy. In fact I still can but I won't.
There is a "huge" barrier between commuting and driving. For me, its the latter!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd December 2013 at 16:08.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:27   #50
BHPian

Hi Parag Bhai,

Once again my hearty congratulations on the new car. As usual, a fantastic and meticulous review. Very well written with some nice pictures. Ertiga is definitely one of the best possible upgrade from your trusted waggy and I am sure you will break your own record in the coming years .

All the best and let’s plan for some good trips in 2014 (May be something like our chikmagalur drive ).

LOTHAR
Mighty_Lothar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
Hi Parag Bhai,

Once again my hearty congratulations on the new car. As usual, a fantastic and meticulous review.

All the best and let’s plan for some good trips in 2014 (May be something like our chikmagalur drive ).

LOTHAR
Thanks ML. As a matter of fact you feature in one of those pictures on seating . Thanks for your time during the photoshoot and those Test drives of your Vento.
And yes, let us soon plan a drive somewhere. Chikmagalur as you know is like driving home for me.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:22   #52
ACS
BHPian

Quote:
The Story is not yet over!
Hello Parag Bhai,

First, let me congratulate you on your latest acquisition; the Ertiga !! Have more and more miles on this 'people mover' and I have no doubt you and Ertiga will carry the legacy left behind("being left" will be proper) by the true warrior WagonR.

Welcome to DDiS family! No debate that Eritga carries a well tuned, all rounder DDiS with better NVH levels. Thank you for allowing me a couple of TDs and I should say its a fantastic cruiser. Also let me share my happiness that I can copycat almost all the mods you are going to to under the hood now on.

With regards to the review, as usual no loopholes left and it is complete in all the senses. Beautifully narrated with apt images, tables and statistics. A very well deserved 5 star to the review.
Wishing you all the best with your car, drive safe.

ACS
ACS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:46   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
Also let me share my happiness that I can copycat almost all the mods you are going to to under the hood now on.
ACS
Thanks ACS!! It was more because of the super long TD (1500 kms) that I had in your SX4 DDiS that I also shortlisted it for my requirements. Its a no nonsense car with excellent ground clearance and abuse friendly as well. If at all MSIL engineers designed the rear bench to accommodate 3 in comfort, I would have bought one. Its Tall, makes the passengers (specially the co-driver) sit tall & offers easy Ingress and Egress due to taller roofline as well.

Regarding the mods that I carry out for the Ertiga, you know well I will share each of them with you even before staring one. So keep watching this space (and of course our parking lot) for some DIYs that I do in coming days.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I have always made it a point to stay along with the vehicle while it is attended. Be that the WagonR or the service that Ertiga went through at 1000 kms.

I don't really mind taking a day off for service and stay with the car for 2 reasons : I get to learn about various things done during the service (helps me evaluate a DIY option) and second reason is that I get to see what is done for what I pay for (and if it is really done or not).
Do they allow you to be with the car when they are attending to it? Earlier when I took Fiesta to service, I used to stay with the car or roam around the whole compound for more than 5 times kind of weird but I like it.

Sometimes when in the service bay, they don't feel comfortable but they don't understand that I am not comfortable leaving my car with them by seeing the way they treat/drive our cars even inside their area.

And awaiting for your day light pics of your seat covers, not urgent though
Old 24th December 2013, 12:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review ! Coupled with the inclination to the high seating position and the ease of having another Maruti (since the first one is also a Maruti) has the made decision easier for you.

Nice color choice. After reading about the WAGON R completing 2Lacs kms, I have now decided that I will retain my SWIFT D (2010) till 1 Lac kms which has done 31K Kms in 4 Yrs.

One of the scenarios you had mentioned that you reached 0 Kmph in the second gear and you were releasing the clutch and applying the accelerator without downshifting.

While it is possible to drive this way, but I usually shift to 1st gear from all stand stills and just release clutch to move forward, apply the accelerator to gain momentum and then up-shift.

Since this a diesel, I never use clutch and accelerator together, release of clutch has enough power to move forward.

And Yes, I take all the speed breakers or bad roads in second gear.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 14:12   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Fantastic review ! Coupled with the inclination to the high seating position and the ease of having another Maruti
Thanks F150! Somehow Maruti ensured I picked another one from their stable this time too. After all, till now I never had to wait in the middle of the road for any breakdowns. A lot goes into the meticulous effort put in terms of periodic and preventive maintenance too.
Quote:
One of the scenarios you had mentioned that you reached 0 Kmph in the second gear and you were releasing the clutch and applying the accelerator without downshifting.
Actually, it is not 0Kmph. Its a situation where you are almost going to stand still but soon realise you need to move. At this juncture the car is still in enough momentum that if you ease on the brakes it moves ahead. Exactly here is where I release the clucth accordingly and input throttle only after clucth is fully released. So, this is definitely unlike a petrol car where a bit of accelerator needs to be pressed. This is what I meant.
Quote:
While it is possible to drive this way, but I usually shift to 1st gear from all stand stills and just release clutch to move forward, apply the accelerator to gain momentum and then up-shift.

Since this a diesel, I never use clutch and accelerator together, release of clutch has enough power to move forward.
Rightly said. The release of clucth producing good enough Torque to move forward. This is the same thing am mentioning while taking on speedbreakers. Of course, I again don't play with Accelerator and Clucth in combination done in Petrol car. Its a Diesel after all.
Old 24th December 2013, 16:21   #57
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Parag and what a great review! The details that you put out, esp the decision making comparison, will be really useful for others in future. Wishing you and Ertiga many trouble free lakhs of kms ahead. Do keep updating the thread.

ps: If you remember we had said hi to each other once at Surakshaa
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 16:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
You talking about saving a few lakhs buddy? If so, you would have likely asked me to sell my WagonR at 100k on the Odo itself :-).
At least I don't drive to save. This Ertiga is a diesel only because it made sense to have a diesel as a second car.
If saving was on my mind, I would've plonked a LPG or a CNG kit like how many have done for the Waggy. In fact I still can but I won't.
There is a "huge" barrier between commuting and driving. For me, its the latter!!

Well, I believe WagonR isnt as much an enthusiast's car. Hence that thought.

But hey, congrats on your new drive.
I came to this thread as my next car could very well be the Ertiga and of same color as well
Old 24th December 2013, 17:02   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiranjan View Post
Well, I believe WagonR isnt as much an enthusiast's car. Hence that thought.
I guess I have covered this question of your's thoroughly in my review too, may be because I was expecting such a question. I believe in the enthusiasm of the driver.

Quote:
Enthusiast Driver or an enthusiast car?
The Driver in me behaved like an enthusiast and confused me a lot before I concluded that if you love driving, you can make any drive a pleasurable one and any car a driver's car!! After all, It was not under pressure that I always drove the WagonR mostly on highways where the 2.15 Lacs kept coming in under 7.5 years.
I guess you initially referred the Fuel efficiency of a Petrol car that may have saved me a lot of "lacs" by picking a diesel sooner than waiting till 2.15 lacs right which has nothing to do with the car being tagged as an "Enthusiast's car"? Anyways, I hope we all have our own choices and preferences and we cannot always get everything in one car!

Like I mentioned before, the WagonR is still chugging with the best of its health today as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th December 2013 at 17:10.
Old 24th December 2013, 17:31   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz Parag and what a great review! The details that you put out, esp the decision making comparison, will be really useful for others in future. Wishing you and Ertiga many trouble free lakhs of kms ahead. Do keep updating the thread.

ps: If you remember we had said hi to each other once at Surakshaa
Thanks Jaggu. Glad to know you liked the review. I took a while to draft and happy that it came out well. Many thanks for your wishes.

Yes, I do remember we met at Surakshaa while you were rushing against time to drive for an off-roading event in your Gypsy. I guess we will meet up sometime again with ample time probably at Surakshaa itself .

Most Viewed