Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 11:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi, 20000 kms report

The best part that I have noticed is, at a given point in time, we may have the same choices in the market, but what is amazing to see we all have our choices in place and many of us may arrive at the same answer but every one will take a different reason! Nice going Parag. And I can already the guy munching miles. All the best. Ertiga is one of the most (if not the most practical product) available in the market.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:04   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congrats Parag Anna!! Happy miles with the new Ertiga!!

Waiting for going on long trips with Karthik Makam and you!
Karthik1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review Parag. Also I guess Ertiga looks best in Grey and Dusky Brown. I feel Maurti should have included rear wipers in Vdi also.
Hope you add few pics of Ertiga along with Belur monuments
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:50   #19
BHPian

A wonderful review Parag. When I read your covered miles with Wagon-R, I was quite surprised as how could someone manage to reach that in an ODO. I am sure, that you really love cars and know how best to take care of them. Infact, I have also learnt a lesson from you on maintenance and how to keep a car running year after year. I wish you all the very best with your new car and do hope that this time you will show us an ODO with 500000kms on it.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations Parag on owning a Maruti Ertiga VDi.

So from one tall boy to another tall & long boy or I should call this car a man rather than a boy.

During my recent trip to Goa I got a chance to travel in diesel Ertiga for approx 100 kms from Goa Airport to Poriem & back - I was definitely impressed with the space on rear bench and NVH levels for a diesel car.

Also the handling of the Car on twisty & narrow roads of Goa was indeed very nice.

Once again congrats on the new possession of your & looking forward to meet you & your Car when you come to Mumbai next time. Needless to say but hope to see you crossing 3,00,000 / 4,00,000 kilometers in the car.

One more thing - the pictures taken by your Galaxy S4 are really nice & sharp.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:24   #21
BHPian

Hi Parag,

Wonderful review. I had put in the same amount and kind of thoughts before finalizing on my Granite Grey ZXI. I moved from 10 year old 85K KMS Santro to the LUV. Only difference is my running is low, so had to opt for the petrol version.

As of now, I have completed 4000 Kms and the 2nd free service is due in Jan-14. Have done 2 trips to Sringeri, with full load (6-7 passengers). The LUV cruises along very well on the Blore-Hassan road and pulls with confidence in the ghat sections. The space utilization has been optimal and my parents felt comfortable during the long journeys.

Overall, a practical family car.

Loved your writing and the pictures.

Rgds
Suhas
Blr_RK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:46   #22
BHPian

Wonderful write-up Parag and congratulations on your buy.

I will be in market for new car in Feb-March of next year, and my requirements are very much like yours, so will be keeping a tab on this thread for updates.

Congrats again and happy driving.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:32   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mindblowing review, thanks for sharing & congratulations Parag. I can't think of a more suitable big brother to the 200,000+ kms WagonR.

Knowing how well you maintain your cars, you can probably reuse one of these pictures when you're giving us the 3 lakh kms update

Drive safe!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 15:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Super review Parag. We have a Ertiga VDi at home as well and I agree with all the points you've mentioned. It's a very practical car and although we bought it as a 5 seater, the 3rd row has been used quite a few times.

I'm yet to get used to the turbolag though as I drive it occasionally and my regular drive is a Figo with no lag ! The other 2 things I'd like to change are black + beige interiors (instead of the only beige) and a rear wiper on the VDi.

Our average FE indicator over approx. 5000k stands at 17.5 for 70% Mysore city driving and 30% highway.

What was your final OTR price ? Was grey your only colour choice as I'm sure the dealer might have had other colours in ZDI ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 20th December 2013 at 15:39.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Our Maruti Ertiga VDi - Siblings meet.

Congratulations! Heres to wishing you a MILLION miles (no really! actually) with your ride.

Awesome review Paragbhai! The best part of your reviews are the perspective you give for every detail. Superbly written, colated with pics. I'm sure there'll be '000s out there who'll benefit from this expert review. Rated 5 stars but for want of 7!

Noticed how Maruti's grow on people when you point out 'Typical Maruti' features. Looking forward to learn about the mjd as you tame the longer sibling.

So, as a new journey begins with a drive, hope you have an absolute blast driving for the meet.

Warmest Regards,
Bhavin
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:11   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Great review Parag, I had never sat in an Ertiga till we went for that short ride the other day, it left me quite impressed, that and now your detailed review is making an Ertiga a strong contender for the next car buy in my house.
Thanks for a lovely and detailed review, really very helpful.
Thanks Hari. I am glad you liked the review and happy that I got a photoshoot done that day while you could Test drive and also access the seating in the Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Parag Sachania, hearty congratulations on the Ertiga! Surely an excellent choice you made. Happy to see my Palio with your Waggy on the very first pic

This is a very comprehensive and detailed review of the Ertiga. Until you showed me many practical features and how roomy it was, I too just assumed Ertiga as just another MUV.

My impression after driving your Ertiga was wow! Felt so much like a car and I felt the steering wasnt soft like in many common cars.
Thanks Karthik. I very well remember those days when you always wanted me to stay away from an MUV. You knew my requirements quite well and upon seeing the Ertiga on the day of delivery you got convinced on the practicality aspects.

Further to this I wanted you to drive the Ertiga over a considerable distance to get the feel doing some better speeds and I am glad you could only refer positive things about the drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Congratulations Parag for the new family member- The Ertiga. Thanks for the grand review too. It was never hard to guess that which manufacturer you would have preferred for the next car.
Wish you lacs of kms...and reward us with nice updates of your car on the forum.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket! Honestly, the Honda city was the closest contender that I almost booked it. If not for that instant feeling that I got upon sitting inside the car at the dealership that day, I may have laid my hands on a Hoda City VMT by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All the best. Ertiga is one of the most (if not the most practical product) available in the market.
Thanks Amp! I remember discussing this with you and you shared exactly the same thoughts and suggested me not to think further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Congrats Parag Anna!! Happy miles with the new Ertiga!!

Waiting for going on long trips with Karthik Makam and you!
Most welcome anytime for the road trips. Like I mentioned earlier, the big one spanning at least 4000 kms in coming up next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Hope you add few pics of Ertiga along with Belur monuments
This one is for you Suhas. Parked right next to temple where our house is in Belur. This is from the very first drive to Belur on the weekend soon after delivery.
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-945205_10151733777594998_1718719699_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Infact, I have also learnt a lesson from you on maintenance and how to keep a car running year after year.
Thanks mints21! I have always had this craving for maintaining things myself as much as possible. This was right from my Kinetic Honda days while in college. I also find it most satisfying helping a lot of my friends with their DIYs at my home. I should be thankful to my family that they understand my interests in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Parag on owning a Maruti Ertiga VDi.

So from one tall boy to another tall & long boy or I should call this car a man rather than a boy.

During my recent trip to Goa I got a chance to travel in diesel Ertiga for approx 100 kms from Goa Airport to Poriem & back - I was definitely impressed with the space on rear bench and NVH levels for a diesel car.

Also the handling of the Car on twisty & narrow roads of Goa was indeed very nice.

Once again congrats on the new possession of your & looking forward to meet you & your Car when you come to Mumbai next time. Needless to say but hope to see you crossing 3,00,000 / 4,00,000 kilometers in the car.

One more thing - the pictures taken by your Galaxy S4 are really nice & sharp.

Thanks,
Thanks Jignesh! As you have experienced, I too found the Ertiga a good handler for its design. My primary criteria was that the next car should handle like car. Somehow, I am never a SUV guy and love the drives in a Hatch or a Sedan itself.
These days, I am only clicking pics with the S4 for all my drives due to the quality output that I am getting from it.
Will surely buzz you when I am driving to Mumbai some time soon as Pune/Mumbai drives for me have always got planned in less than a day's notice and I start cruising on NH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Hi Parag,

Wonderful review.
Overall, a practical family car.
Loved your writing and the pictures.

Rgds
Suhas
Thanks Suhas! Glad you liked it. The WagonR that I have too was practical and after having seen the absence of even basic things like Bottle holders in some cars, I found the Ertiga to be a very thoughtful vehicle where care has been taken for passengers of all the rows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobix View Post
Wonderful write-up Parag and congratulations on your buy.

I will be in market for new car in Feb-March of next year, and my requirements are very much like yours, so will be keeping a tab on this thread for updates.

Congrats again and happy driving.
Thanks mobix! I have tried to ensure I cover almost everything that I could that will help prospective buyers make a decision. I hate waiting periods and I don't look back or crib about my decision if something better gets launched soon after buying a new vehicle. In fact, I am sure that Honda's MPV will definitely be better than the Maruti and I could have waited but I would rather get driving what I have and start loving what I own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mindblowing review, thanks for sharing & congratulations Parag. I can't think of a more suitable big brother to the 200,000+ kms WagonR.

Knowing how well you maintain your cars, you can probably reuse one of these pictures when you're giving us the 3 lakh kms update

Drive safe!
Thanks GTO! Since my father has been the biggest companion for all those drives in the WagonR, He never even hinted or asked me if I will sell the WagonR. Even when my mother said, lets sell it and have a single car, My father got defensive telling its a Gem and the efforts I have put in maintaining it over these years.

All I can say is that the WagonR with ~2.15L on the ODO is total paisa vasool for me today.

The WagonR is still clocking 20Kms a day now as my better half drives it to work. I have tried my best to teach her how not to abuse the Tallboy and I hope she would respect my sentiments attached with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Super review Parag. We have a Ertiga VDi at home as well and I agree with all the points you've mentioned.

What was your final OTR price ? Was grey your only colour choice as I'm sure the dealer might have had other colours in ZDI ?
Thanks Tarun! Good to know that you too own the Ertiga. Regarding the OTR, I paid 10,06,000 INR after a cash discount of 20,000 INR applicable for that month from Maruti.
On color, we surely wanted to settle for something darker this time and hence opted for Granite Grey as the WagonR was Pearl Silver. Also, you know how your ideas on color gets suppressed when you have 2 ladies and a little Girl making a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Congratulations! Heres to wishing you a MILLION miles (no really! actually) with your ride.

Awesome review Paragbhai! The best part of your reviews are the perspective you give for every detail.
Thank you Bhavin! Glad you liked the review. The most difficult part about writing is to start writing. In this case, I wanted to first take a lot of photos to complement the ownership review. Soon after that happened, I started to pen this and suddenly realising that I have missed clicking some photos and again rushing out and taking a few more.

My friends at work have been helpful whenever I have pulled them for the photoshoot.

I have been longing for a real long drive. The second time we drove to Belur was only to access its abilities at high speeds as I had run-in the car considerably for almost 2500 kms.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th December 2013 at 16:19.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Parag. Mind blowing. Every detail has been captured so well that it makes it easy for any prospective buyer to make a well informed decision.

I am sending the link to my cousin who is planning to get one soon.

Cheers.
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:49   #28
BHPian

Wonderful Review, Parag. You have not missed any point that is worth noting.

I like the way you test drove the vehicle. I think you are so practical, that you put in a lot of effort in the test drive by trying so many variations in the seating positions of the passengers and varying the road conditions. Generally other guys put the same efforts in bargaining the freebies.

After going through this unique review, I stand satisfied with my decision in buying a Ritz.That is because, IMO, just for the extra power and seating space, there is not much difference in Ritz and Ertiga.

Wishing you Miles and Miles of Happy driving.

- Sai
Vihari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 17:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Parag,

Firstly, congratulations on getting a longer (and taller?) companion to the Waggy. It really is a very practical vehicle and it definitely suits your requirements to the tee.

Secondly, congratulations for this superb review. I was waiting keenly for the review to come out and I was definitely not surprised by what I saw. There are very few others who can give so much attention to detail as you do. This is really a treat to read. Definitely deserves 5 stars.

Wishing you many more lakhs of kms in the Ertiga.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 19:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks Karthik. I very well remember those days when you always wanted me to stay away from an MUV. You knew my requirements quite well and upon seeing the Ertiga on the day of delivery you got convinced on the practicality aspects.
Yes, I still remember. I never thought any MUV can feel car like. I am now pretty convinced MUVs too can behave like a car.

On performance side, remember a date I had few months with an Ertiga while I was driving to Madurai few months ago? My Palio MJD had a real tough time keeping up with a an Ertiga in the middle of the night. We were constantly over taking each other between Salem and Madurai. The fun lasted over 90 mins and Ertiga was clear winner. I could over take him once a while, and mostly when he made a mistake.

I am sure, me and you will have many such runs as we do many family drives. Until you clock 10k, I am sure, I will have the upper hand
funkykar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed