Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 17:50   #196
BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks Jose. Tires are not as old as the car. In fact, they are half as much. I replaced the stock Good Year 185/65 to XM2 205/60 when the ODO was 16,000 kms.

Of course, every time I wash the car, I recall to purchase a good tire polish!!
Oops! My bad. I thought that the car was still running on Stock Tyres. May be, I might have missed your update on the same in your ownership review.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:51   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 196,000 Kms up & a lot of DIYs!

Quote:
This is exactly how the New Ertiga looks after 35500 kms exactly today (with a Bird drop next to the fog light):.

Spanking new! The water you use to wash is magical

Now that you have munched so many k's, and 2015 is fast approaching, whats the roadmap for the long boy?
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 17:56   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Spanking new! The water you use to wash is magical
I mostly and always end up washing with plain water. Water where I stay is hard. Hence, my strategy is wiping the drops even before they dry up and form marks. The Glasswipe comes in handy to quickly push the droplets drain down the body and makes wiping easy.

2 clothes usually and always newspapers for all the glass parts and headlights.

The only time the Ertiga or the WagonR gets a foam wash is when it visits MASS.

Quote:
Now that you have munched so many k's, and 2015 is fast approaching, whats the roadmap for the long boy?
Never planned so far. It may just happen, all of a sudden to some faraway destination. Belur-Chikmagalur or even Pune has become like a daily run off late .

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th December 2014 at 17:58.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:07   #199
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly how the New Ertiga looks after 35500 kms exactly today (with a Bird drop next to the fog light):
Daily office commute is boring even though I do take the toll road every day. After all, a car has to see roads of every type .
Parag,

You have maintained your car rather well! . Looks like you spend more time with your cars than anyone else . Hope to catch up with you and your Ertiga some time soon.
naut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:13   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Parag,

You have maintained your car rather well! . Looks like you spend more time with your cars than anyone else . Hope to catch up with you and your Ertiga some time soon.
My Family always spends time with me. It is only co-incidental that whenever this happens, its in the Ertiga and we are on road
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 23:42   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pics, parag!!! Your Ertiga looks it is just out from the showroom. Not surprised that Maruti has another trouble free and very reliable machine under its wings. Wishing you many more happy and safe miles.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 08:44   #202
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Parag,

Thats one well maintained car you have there. 35k kms in a year is a fantastic feat. Any idea what you are aiming at?

One noob question though: Its said that the WA/WB should be done once in every 5K kms. How many times have you done in the past year (Surely not 7 times)

Hapy mile crunching and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 08:49   #203
BHPian

Hey Parag

The road journey between Bangalore and Pune/Mumbai on fact all the way till Jaipur is outstanding. Full marks to the Indian highways now. And yes a comfortable, spacious and fuel efficient vehicle makes a huge difference.

I have routinely done Bangalore-Pune and Mumbai in my earlier Opel Corsa Sail and a few times in the Ertiga as well. And maybe another trip coming up next week.

Typically I fuel up at a COCO which is almost 450 kms from either side Pune or Bangalore.

You have kept your vehicle in pristine condition. You pay attention to all parts and know how to take care of it. Its really nice to follow up on your thread.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 15:29   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Nice pics, parag!!! Your Ertiga looks it is just out from the showroom. Not surprised that Maruti has another trouble free and very reliable machine under its wings. Wishing you many more happy and safe miles.
Thanks Arun. So far so good. I hope it continues to deliver the way its big brother is doing, till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congrats Parag,

Thats one well maintained car you have there. 35k kms in a year is a fantastic feat. Any idea what you are aiming at?

One noob question though: Its said that the WA/WB should be done once in every 5K kms. How many times have you done in the past year (Surely not 7 times)

Hapy mile crunching and drive safely.
Thanks ghodlur. No idea at all on the target or what number I am aiming at. As I typically say - Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi.

Regarding Wheel alignment & Balancing, I got it done once at the ASC during a routine service. After this, once when I upgraded the tires from 185 to 205 profile.

Every since that, I have got only wheel alignment job done twice. Hence the current tires are running without balancing for the last 19,500 kms and have undergone 2 alignment jobs.

There is not even a slightest wobble at any speed during highway drives and this assures me that they don't need balancing. Nor there has been a case where I accidentally jumped over a speedbreaker/pothole and that weight sticker came off .

Even in case of the WagonR, I never followed the 5K Kms once approach for alignment and balancing. It never had a case of abnormal/uneven tread wear while it underwent 3 set of tire changes after stock.

My approach has been simple - If on a flat road (without banking) I have to hold the steering to keep the car going straight, I have a problem with the alignment (All this after ensuring there are no crosswinds, proper tire pressure etc).

If there is wobble at particular speed that vanishes if speed is increased or decreased below that range, I have a problem with the Rim (Bend) or Balancing!

Its worked without any fuss so far for both the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hey Parag

The road journey between Bangalore and Pune/Mumbai on fact all the way till Jaipur is outstanding. Full marks to the Indian highways now. And yes a comfortable, spacious and fuel efficient vehicle makes a huge difference.
Agree with you. Apart from the driver, rest of the occupants smiling is what makes your day at the end of such long highway runs. I Agree with you on the road conditions as well. Something that I did only 2 months back on the way up north but in a different car.

So, Bangalore-Jaipur by road has happened thrice in the last 2.5 years .

Quote:
I have routinely done Bangalore-Pune and Mumbai in my earlier Opel Corsa Sail and a few times in the Ertiga as well. And maybe another trip coming up next week.

Typically I fuel up at a COCO which is almost 450 kms from either side Pune or Bangalore.
After Ertiga, my fuel stop has moved a little ahead. Say 562 kms from NTBL toll booth and precisely after Nippani town.

Its a BPCL COCO, accepts cards and customer friendly attitude. Plus, the tank is a little over the quarter mark when I reach here. A tankful here helps me reach Pune, drive around in Pune and return back till here and refill again that takes me all the way to Bangalore! Essentially, around 2.5 Tanks in all.

With the WagonR, I used to fill up at the COCOs after Dharwad (BPCL on both sides) around 438 kms from home. However, with 6 lane functional, there is a overbridge thats come up here now and you will easily overshoot this if not aware.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th December 2014 at 15:39.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 17:17   #205
BHPian

Quote:
With the WagonR, I used to fill up at the COCOs after Dharwad (BPCL on both sides) around 438 kms from home. However, with 6 lane functional, there is a overbridge thats come up here now and you will easily overshoot this if not aware.
Hey Parag - Please give me a little more detail on this. The BPCL on both sides - kind of mid way between Bangalore and Pune - is it now below a 6 lane and therefore easy to miss? Is that on the Bangalore - Pune sector or Pune - Bangalore sector or both?

In almost all the visits to Pune/Mumbai and further I have stopped at these two bunks and refeulled. I must have made a couple of dozen trips. Also, in case I do miss can you please tell me the next or one before that is reliable on fuel.

Thanks buddy

Rajain
Old 17th December 2014, 18:08   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hey Parag - Please give me a little more detail on this. The BPCL on both sides - kind of mid way between Bangalore and Pune - is it now below a 6 lane and therefore easy to miss? Is that on the Bangalore - Pune sector or Pune - Bangalore sector or both?

In almost all the visits to Pune/Mumbai and further I have stopped at these two bunks and refeulled. I must have made a couple of dozen trips. Also, in case I do miss can you please tell me the next or one before that is reliable on fuel.

Thanks buddy

Rajain
Incidentally, these BPCL I am referring to are both COCOs and face each other. Hence they are on Bangalore-Pune and Pune-Bangalore sections.

Earlier, these were easy to notice. Now exactly in between these the road is on elevated section (6 lane) so one would obviously miss this if not attentive enough.

The one towards Pune is located exactly 5.5 Kms from the Dharwad Toll exit booth.

If you miss this, you will have drive further ahead till near Sankeshwar where there is another COCO (Unless you want to fill up inside Belgaum).

The COCO that I am referring to near Nippani is where I filled up last three times to Pune.

More details on this COCO here
Old 18th February 2015, 17:40   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

40K Update:

40K happened within an hour after I started to drive for Ahmedabad from Bangalore on last Friday that I didn't stop to take the photo of the meter console. In fact, 41, 42 and 43K too happened similarly that I thought it was best to update this thread with the current ODO Reading as of today:

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-20150218_121424.jpg

The 40K Service:
  • The 40K service happened when the ODO was around 60-70 kms less than the desired reading as I had to take up a 3000+ Kms drive in the next 2 days
  • Got this done at Surakshaa - Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, Brake Fluid, Coolant, Air, AC, Oil and Fuel Filters were replaced
  • Preferred getting the alignment and Balancing done at Madhus as usual

Brake pads still had good life at 40K:
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-pads-1.jpg
Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-pads-2.jpg

DIY: Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor Cleaning:
Nothing was wrong, neither was there any drop in performance whatsoever. But this DIY was done solely for the curiosity as to how much dirty the MAF Sensor can really get at 40k.

In fact, it had hardly attracted any dirt than what I had otherwise thought:

(Few pictures from the DIY.....)

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-tools-job.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-01.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-02.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-03.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-04.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-05.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-07.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion | Maruti Ertiga VDi | 241,500 km-maf-08.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:34   #208
BHPian

Re: 40K Update:

Quote:
40K happened within an hour after I started to drive for Ahmedabad from Bangalore on last Friday that I didn't stop to take the photo of the meter console.
The 40K Service:
  • Got this done at Surakshaa - Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, Brake Fluid, Coolant, Air, AC, Oil and Fuel Filters were replaced
I purchased my Ertiga in the same month as yours (Nov 2013), but I have churned only 14k till date

Is this the first time you changed Coolant, Air, AC, Oil and Fuel Filters? Or this needs to be done at 20k service as well? sorry if you have covered it somewhere and missed by me!
Old 18th February 2015, 18:36   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Is this the first time you changed Coolant, Air, AC, Oil and Fuel Filters? Or this needs to be done at 20k service as well? sorry if you have covered it somewhere and missed by me!
This is the Second time I changed the Coolant, Brake Fluid &Transmission Oils although the transmission Oil is now changed only every 40K Kms as per MSIL.

Otherwise, I have been replacing the Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Air Filter every 10 k kms.

I have covered it during my 20K Kms Update here in this post.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th February 2015 at 18:41.
Old 18th February 2015, 21:26   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DIY: Mass Airflow (MAF) Sensor Cleaning:
Nothing was wrong, neither was there any drop in performance whatsoever. But this DIY was done solely for the curiosity as to how much dirty the MAF Sensor can really get at 40k.
I regularly clean the airfilter (every 3k or so) but I have never heard of the mechanics look into the MAF (118k km done thus far, no check engine lights either). When is it recommended?

Is your DIY identical for the Swift? Personally i'm okay with letting MASS handle it - am not much of a DIYer.

Most Viewed